Chapter 12

Beautiful Secret

 

Jong Kook has been walking in and out of Ji-hyo’s room to check on her condition. Baek Chang Joo has gone back for a while to pack some of his clothes as well as Ji-hyo’s. Jong Kook suddenly received a phone call from Gary.

“Yeoboseyo!”

“Owh, yeoboseyo hyung. Sorry to call you this late. Have you heard the news about MongJi?”

“N-ne. Where are you?”

“I’m still in Busan, I have full day event for this two days. Hyung, how is she doing? What happened to her? She’s our ace, how can she fell sick like that?” Gary sounded pretty worry.

“Gary ah, calm down. She’s stable. She’s been overwork, and all this while she’s depending on IV fluids to maintain her energy. But suddenly her body couldn’t take it anymore and caused allergies. She’s also been too dehydrated. That’s what causes her to faint.”

“Owh..hyung, that’s bad. Gosh…”

“It’s pretty bad in the beginning, but after getting treatment and being warded, she’s much better. Now they put her to rest and asleep.”

“I wish I could be there next to her. I need to see her with my own eyes, hyung. But with my schedule, it doesn’t seem possible.”

Jong Kook closed his eyes the moment Gary act like Ji-hyo’s boyfriend. It hurt to hear somebody else care as much as him for his girlfriend, but it’s more painful to have been hiding about him and Ji-hyo’s relationship.

“Gary ah..don’t worry..I’ll be your eyes while you’re not here.”

“Owh, go-ma-wo hyung. I know I can count on you. Please send me pictures of her, hyung, if you visit her. Anyway, have you visited her?”

“N-ne, I’ve visited her..looks like she’s fine..stop worrying yourself. We’ll update you, okay? Gary ah, focus on your work. And you take care as well.”

“N-ne, hyung! I will..thank you very much. Good night, hyung.”

The line is disconnected.(Gary ah..mianhae…for not telling the truth about me and Ji-hyo..I have no courage to do that right now..mianhae…)

 

While Jong Kook’s been thinking about Gary, he heard Ji-hyo’s coughing. He rushed to her room to see her.

“Hey, sleepyhead….” Jong Kook speaks softly.

“Oppaaa…” Ji-hyo replied slowly. “Where….am I? What….happened?”

“You’re..in a hospital…you…fainted…”

Ji-hyo seems like she’s trying to remember the last thing happened to her before she goes blackout.

“Ji-hyo ah…how are you feeling??”

Ji-hyo didn’t answer. Instead she’s trying to sit on the bed, but she’s too weak. Jong Kook helps to adjust her bed until she’s in a sitting position.

“Oppa, I feels like I’ve been sleeping for a long time..what time is it?”

“Well, you did sleep the whole day..and it’s past midnight now..”

“Ohhh…really? Gosh…oppa, weren’t you supposed to be in the recording studio now?” Ji-hyo tries to talk about something else than about her sickness.

Jong Kook didn’t answer her. Instead he sit next to Ji-hyo on the bed, facing her and slowly hug her on her waist, landed his chin on Ji-hyo’s shoulder.

“Oppa…what’s wrong? I am fine…...right?”

Jong Kook still feels sad looking at Ji-hyo and frustrated about what Ji-hyo didn’t tell him yesterday but he didn’t want to talk about it right now.

“You scared me, love….I’m totally in shocked, when Chang Joo called me this morning…”

“Mianhae, oppa…I’m sorry to make you worry…but I’m fine…I’m feeling much better now…”

“I missed you badly, yeobo…it’s been awhile since we spend times together..”

“I missed you too, jagiya…” Ji-hyo said calmly, just like what she feels in her boyfriend’s arm.

Jong Kook then kissed Ji-hyo’s forehead, her nose, both her cheeks and finally her lips. It was first a very soft and sweet kiss but suddenly starting to become more passionate. Ji-hyo quickly breaks the kiss before they both lost control.

“Oppaaaaa….somebody may catch us…” Ji-hyo speaks while catching her breath. “Let’s continue after I check out, okay?”

Jong Kook smile shyly. He’s ashamed for not realizing what he had done openly to Ji-hyo.

“Why is your face turning red?”

“Nothing…Love, let’s find our time and go on vacation after this..I missed to be just with you, alone..” Jong Kook holds Ji-hyo’s hand.

“Ohhhh….let’s do that okay? And now I can’t wait to leave this place..hehe..”

“No! We’ll only go on vacation if you’re 200% healthy,…and be a good girl…”

“Well, I am a good girl, weren’t I?” Ji-hyo pout her lips.

“Hurmm….a very good and naughty girl…” Jong Kook poke her nose, then smile looking at his girlfriend, still holding her hands.

 

Their conversations were interrupted when Chang Joo arrived. He’s quite surprise to see Jong Kook sitting close to Ji-hyo on her bed.

“Owh, you’re awake…you must be hungry, Mong Ji.”

“N-ne..thank you oppa for taking care of me..”

“That’s my job isn’t it? Anyway, I brought you some food and clothes. Jong Kook, let’s eat together.”

“Err…it’s okay..I’m leaving now..”

“Owh, you’re leaving now?” Ji-hyo asked, a little bit frustrated cause she still wants to spend time with her boyfriend.

“I better leave now, before someone else notices my presence. I’ll come again tomorrow, okay?”

“N-ne..but if you’re busy, it’s okay..don’t force yourself, okay?”

“Hurmm…I won’t. Take care, rest a lot..good night, love,” Jong Kook then kisses Ji-hyo’s forehead again.

When Chang Joo and Jong Kook were out of Ji-hyo’s room, Chang Joo speaks to Jong Kook.

“You know it’s not a good idea for you to be sitting close like that with Ji-hyo right?”

“I know..I’m sorry..it’ll never happened again..”

“I hope you keep your word..or someone else may catch you both on the bed, doing God knows what..” There’s a jealousy tone in Chang Joo’s voice.

“Huh..don’tworry..I know my part, and I hope you know your job as well..”

Jong Kook left the hospital wearing a sweater with hoody. He tries to cover himself the best he could and grab a cab to go back.

 

 

The next morning, Jong Kook’s sweet dream has been disturb by a phone call from Yoo Jae Suk.

“N-ne…yeobo..se..yo…” Jong Kook greet sleepily.

“Yah! Yah! Yah! Working late ah Kim Jong Kook? What did you do last night? Hehehe..”

“Owh, Jae-suk hyung…what time is it? What’s up?”

“This man ah, it’s already 11:00am..yah Kim Jong Kook, what time did you left the hospital last night?”

“I’m not sure…about 1:00am I think…why?” Jong Kook still sounds sleepy.

“I guess you haven’t read the newspaper today. There’s a story about a guy visiting Ji-hyo late night yesterday. Sounds like you.”

“What? How come…”

Jong Kook quickly gets out of his room to find the newspaper. Gap Jin who just walks in with the newspaper was stunned when Jong Kook grabs the newspaper from him. After reading the news, Jong Kook continues his conversation with Jae-suk.

“Hyung, do you think anyone will know who the person is?”

“I have no idea. They don’t really describe the physicality of the person in details. You’re lucky they don’t have pictures. Probably people will guess it’s Gary. But once they asked Gary, and Gary deny it’s him, they are going to start digging about this man. You should be ready, and beware.”

“Aihh…what do you think I should do, hyung? I still want to visit Ji-hyo tonight.”

“Get few other people to join you..get Gap Jin and Dong Hoon to cover it for you. I’d love to follow you, but I can’t today.”

“It’s okay, hyung. You’ve help so much. I’ll discuss this with them. Thanks.”

“Jong Kook ah, worse come to worst, you’ll need to reveal everything in the end. There may be some who doesn’t approve your relationship, but it’s about you and Ji-hyo’s life. Others really can’t do much if you’re both in love with each other. It’s the best if you stop hiding it.”

“N-ne hyung. I’ll think about it. Thanks again.”

 

After ending the call, Jong Kook lean himself on the couch.

“What was that all about?” Gap Jin asked.

Jong Kook in silent. Still feeling blank. Then he show Gap Jin the newspaper.

>IS THE RUNNING MAN ACE TAKEN??

Shocking news received from a trustworthy source saying there’s a man sneakily leaving the hospital late night yesterday after visiting the Running Man Ace, Song Ji-hyo. Could he be the one that’s in Ji-hyo’s heart right now? If he’s nobody special, why did he left the building in a very suspicious way? Who could it be? Is he among the Running Man members itself? Song Ji-hyo’s manager, Baek Chang Joo is nowhere to be reached to clarify these questions. Let’s hope the answers will be reveal soon. <

“Omo! This is serious. What do you want to do?”

“I…have..no idea right now…” Jong Kook answered, looking at the floor with a very confused mind. He then scroll his mobile phone and found missed calls and smses from Gary, Haha and Baek Chang Joo.

Gary msg        : Hyung, did u read the newspaper? Is Ji-hyo seeing someone right now? Call me back, hyung.

Haha msg       : Hyung, call me back, urgent!

Chang Hoo      : JK, need to discuss urgently with u. Call me back, a.s.a.p!  

 

Jong Kook call Baek Chang Joo out of the three.

“Yeoboseyo, hyung. It’s me, JK. I’ve read the news.”

“Woh, Kim Jong Kook. Now you understand what I meant last night right?”

“N-ne. What do you have in mind, hyung?”

“I’m on my way to see the director of the hospital. The arrangement for Ji-hyo to stay in the VIP private room is because to avoid all this kind of nonsense. But it seems that there is a staff of the hospital that blew this news. I’m going to get their explanation about this. I will update to you soon. In the meantime, I hope you won’t come here, at least until we sort out this things. Oh, and also, Ji-hyo’s family is on the way to meet her. You may consider that situation as well.”

“I understand. Did….Ji-hyo know about this?”

“Not until I left her just now. I hide the newspaper, and her mobile is with me all this while, switched off. Coz reporters have been buzzing her since she’s in the hospital. I want her to get full rest. If there’s anything, you call my mobile.”

“Okay, thanks hyung.”

 

Jong Kook then call Gary.

“Yeah, Gary..I bet you called because of the news about Ji-hyo right?”

“Ahh hyung..is that true? Is she seeing someone now?” Gary asked in panic.

“It may be gossip only. I don’t think you should be worry about this.”

“Hyung, I feel really down when I read it. I thought all this while we shared the same feelings.”

Jong Kook feels so guilty up to this point.

“Gary ah, don’t take it too serious. Of course many people including friends and relatives visited Ji-hyo. Maybe they simply highlighted the story just because they spot one person looking suspicious. But it doesn’t mean anything right? It could be anyone; it could be wrong.”

“I guess you’re right. Hyung, you have visited her right? Did you saw any flowers, anything from someone special in her room?”

“Ahahah…yah Gary ah..stop being so unsecure. I’m sure Ji-hyo can explain all this when she’s healthy again.”

“Ahh, ya…I better get her explanation then. Hyung, my heart is beating really fast when I read the news. I tried to call her but her phone is not active.”

“Her mobile is with her manager, and he switched it off coz reporters have been looking for Ji-hyo. If anything you should just call her manager.”

“Aih hyung..it’s okay..I can wait until she’s back with her phone. Hyung, I think I’m gonna confess to her when she’s out of the hospital. I can’t take this kind of surprise anymore.”

Jong Kook keep quiet, didn’t know what to say.

“Hyung, you still there?”

“Aa…yes..I heard you..Gary ah, hurry finished your work in Busan and come back. Let’s go for a chat.”

“N-ne, hyung. I still need advice from you before I confess to her. See you, hyung. Thanks.”  

 

Just after Jong Kook hang up, he lie back on the couch and close his eyes. He really didn’t know what to do with Gary.

“Jong Kook ah, are you okay?” Gap Jin asked.

After minutes of silent, Jong Kook get up and sit back on the couch.

“Gary….is going to confess to Ji-hyo…about his feelings.”

“When? Now?”

“No…after Ji-hyo check out from hospital. Which gives me no time to keep this anymore. It’s getting harder each day.”

“Yah Jong Kook, sometimes it’s okay to be selfish and make yourself happy. Why hide it from your friends, when you also deserve to fall in love and being loved? Besides, it’s not like you’re the only one who loves Ji-hyo, Ji-hyo did loves you as well. What can anyone else said if you two are happy being together?”  

“But Gary has revealed to me his feelings towards Ji-hyo all this while, and now I’m the one who snap Ji-hyo from him? He trusted me, but what did I do?”

“Kim Jong Kook, don’t repeat your history again. In your past love life, you both love each other. But when you know your friend likes her, you back off. And now, you want to do the same for Gary? Then when is your time?”

“What do you mean my past love life? Who did you refer to?”

“You know who, I won’t mentioned her name again. All I’m saying, for once, live and be happy for yourself, not only thinking for others happiness.”

Gap Jin left Kim Jong Kook in the living hall.

 

 

While at the hospital, Chang Joo’s meeting with the director in the hospital.

“Please, have a sit, Mr Baek. How can I help you?”

“Yes, thank you. I’m sorry for taking your time, but I believe I need some assurance from the hospital.”

“Owh, this sound serious. Go ahead.”

“As you know, Song Ji-hyo has been admitted to this hospital, and I purposely have requested for the VIP room. I highlighted with the administration, doctors, nurses that her details, news, whoever visiting her, whatever related to her is strictly to be confidential. But somehow, one of the staff has revealed something about her visitor, and this morning it was published in the newspaper that her visitor is maybe her boyfriend. It creates havoc and reporters have been chasing for my statement since early morning. There is a possibility they will try to get to Ji-hyo for her statement, when she’s supposed to have lots of rest in this well-known hospital. Do you expect your patient to deal with this kind of stress, when she’s just stop using the respirator today?” Baek Chang Joo seems pretty angry.

“Well I’m…I’m really sorry for what happened. I will investigate about this and make sure it doesn’t happen again. Of course patients’ conditions are our priorities.”

“Can you make sure 100% it won’t happen again? You know I won’t tolerate any more if I know this hospital is untrustworthy. I hope we received a totally private condition.”

“Yes, I will make sure of that. I will take the responsibility and will make sure you can trust us.”

“Thank you, seon-saeng-nim. I’m sorry again for my words, but I hope you understand the situation. I’m leaving now.”

“Yes, thank you. And sorry again.”

With that, Baek Chang Joo return to Ji-hyo’s room.

 

 

Ji-hyo’s mother and sister are already in Ji-hyo’s room. Chang Joo greeted them and explain about what happened to Ji-hyo earlier and her condition right now.

“Oppa, Umma said there’s a story about me today in the newspaper. And I can’t seem to find my handphone. What is the news?”

“Err, it was nothing serious. Just some rumours.”

“Still, I should know right? Did you hide the newspaper?”

“No! I’m just a little bit busy this morning, so I haven’t given you the newspaper.”

“Unnie, it was just a gossip about a guy visited you last night. They were wondering if he’s your boyfriend. Is he, Unnie?” Ji-hyo’s little sister asked.

“What? My boyfriend? A-ni!”

“Seong-im ah, are you in in a relationship now? Who’s the guy anyway? Is it Gary?” Ji-hyo’s mother added.

“Umma, since when did you become a gossiper? It’s nobody. They must have get wrong infos and create their own stories then.”

Chang Joo just smiled looking at those three.

“Yah Baek Chang Joo, you’re with my daughter 24/7. You surely know who’s that guy.”

“Mwuh? It’s like Ji-hyo said, it’s nobody. They must have got mistaken.”

“Chang Joo ah, I should have known everything that’s related to my daughter isn’t it? I trusted you to be by her side all the time, but not to keep any secret from me. Hah Seong-im?”

Ji-hyo already covered her face with a pillow.

While Ji-hyo’s mother and sister trying to interrogate Baek Chang Joo, they were on pause when someone greet at the door.

“Annyeonghaseyo!”

Everyone in the room look surprise with the person standing at the door, especially Ji-hyo.