Chapter 17

Beautiful Secret

 

There was a minute of silent when Gary, Jong Kook, Ji-hyo and her family gather in the living room. Everyone is surprise with one another. Ji-eun breaks the silence by telling them she’s going to prepare for the food. Ji-hyo then follows her sister to the kitchen.

“Ji-eun ah, if this is part of your plan to prank me, it’s not funny…” Ji-hyo said seriously.

“Unnie, I did not invite Kang Gary. I was as shocked as you when he’s at the door.”

“If it wasn’t you, then who invited him?”

“Stop fighting you two…and serve the food to the dining room now…” Ji-hyo’s mother instructed her daughters.

“Umma, did you invite Kang Gary?” Ji-eun asked.

“I did..and I’m sorry I mess up Seong-im…but I have no idea the person you want to invite is not Gary…I really never thought it could be someone else….I’m sorry…”

“Umma, I told you me and Kang Gary are just friend. How can you invite him when..”

“I know I make a mistake, Ji-hyo ah. But Gary is here now, it’s impossible for us to kick him out  right? So let’s just have dinner together and pretend this is just a friendly gathering. Gaja!”

 

The food is serve at the dining room. When Ji-hyo is about to take place, Gary offer to pull off the chair for her and then he sit next to her. Jong Kook sit in front of Ji-hyo while Ji-eun take place next to Jong Kook, in front Gary. It’s a very weird atmosphere for the three of them except Gary and Ji-hyo’s parents.

“Gary ah, Jong Kook, please eat well ah…sorry if this is all we can prepare..” Ji-hyo’s father started.

“Owh..this is more than enough, sir..Thank you very much…” Gary reply.

“Yes! Thank you for inviting us..” Jong Kook added.

“I thought I’ll receive only one guest tonight, but it turns out to be two surprising guests. But as long my daughters are happy, I’m happy and will be delighted to welcome everyone.”

Gary take some food and put it in Ji-hyo’s bowl.

“Ji-hyo ah, you need to eat more. Although I know you love to eat, but since your new drama, you’ve become thinner and always getting sick. Nahh!! Eat well, Ji-hyo ah…and come back to Running Man as soon as possible..”

Ji-hyo look slightly to Jong Kook and saw frustration in his eyes. She didn’t know how to react.

“Oppa, since when you’re being concern? You always tease unnie’s eating habit and always said she’s heavy to carry. Why now feed her more?” Ji-eun tests Gary.

“Aih Ji-eun. Although she’s heavy, I’m willing to carry her no matter what…hehehe…Yah you two!! I never thought there’s something going on between you two…”

“There wasn’t anything to be reveal, oppa…” Ji-eun answered, hesitantly.

Jong Kook just smile, pretending as if there is something between him and Ji-eun. It’s the only act he could think right now.

“Ji-hyo ah, you are quiet tonight..I thought you’re all excited when your friends are here,” Ji-hyo’s dad noted her daughter being awkward.

“Mwuh? Owh…I’m just a little bit tired..maybe because I missed the timing for my medicine..but I’m fine, appa…”

“Seong-im ah, please take care of yourself. Umma can’t accept any shocking news like last time again.” Ji-hyo’s mom advised.

“Aih…it’s true, mam. Seong-im, I was shocked as well to get the news. I can’t handle it anymore,” Gary added.

“Yah!! Why did you call me Seong-im? Only my family calls me that,” Ji-hyo pretends angry.

“Err…erhmm….I get too carried away as if I’m already part of this family..mianhae, mam, sir..hehehe…”

“Ahahahah….it’s okay Gary..it’s still her name..and I get the feeling that you’ll be close with us after this…”

“Aihh…is that a bless sir?? Ehem…komapsumnida….” Gary thanked Ji-hyo’s dad happily.

 

Jong Kook still didn’t say a word and continue eating his meal.

“Yah Kim Jong Kook, were you always this shy and quiet?” Ji-hyo’s dad asked.

“Ahh…a-ni..I just don’t want to interrupt when someone’s talking..”

“Well, I see you’re quite a gentleman here. But in the show, you’re quite scary. Two split personality is it? Hahah...”Ji-hyo’s dad added.

“Err, no…In the show, I’m just doing my best to win..but outside, I’m being me…myself..”

“Appa, he’s quite a romantic person…whoever being his girlfriend is sooooooooooo lucky…” Ji-eun added extra points for Jong Kook, and then look slightly to Ji-hyo. Ji-hyo glare to her sister.

“Owh..,,seems like you know him more than anyone else?” Her dad questioned, teasingly.

“Appa,…stop it..we are just friends, right oppa?”

“Ehermm…err…..we’re just friends, at the moment….but in the future, you’ll never know…hahah..”

Ji-hyo was quite shocked to hear such statement from Jong Kook. She looks into Jong Kook’s eyes deeply hurt. Jong Kook realized the look on Ji-hyo’s face but just smile like he made no mistake. (Mianhae, Lioness. It was all fake…)

“Woh Kim Jong Kook, is that a statement?? So there is something going on eh??” Gary asked.

“Ahhahah…and you’re suddenly all excited, Gary ah…No! I was just joking and teasing Ji-eun…” Jong Kook look back to Ji-hyo.

“Aihh…I will be super excited if both of you truly join our family….it’s really hard to find such good guys like you both nowadays, especially for Ji-eun.” Ji-hyo’s mom giving points to Jong Kook and Gary.

“Umma……….”

“Keep on praying, mam…keep on praying…I can feel it’ll happen soon..hehehe…” Gary added.

They continue the dinner like one big happy family, except Ji-hyo’s brother weren’t at home to join them. It was no longer that weird like when they started eating. Everything turns out smoothly.

 

After dinner, Gary and Jong Kook were invited to have coffee and continue their chit chat in the living hall. But Jong Kook chooses to go back and give reason that he need to be in the studio. He just couldn’t stay any longer and faking things. Ji-hyo sends Jong Kook to his car while Gary stay in the living room with Ji-hyo’s father. Ji-eun and her mom were in the kitchen preparing their coffee and tea.

The moment Ji-hyo chooses to walk out Jong Kook, Gary somehow sense something fishy. He doesn’t really know what, but he just feels like something is not right and awkward when he saw Ji-hyo and Jong Kook.

It was a total silent when Ji-hyo and Jong Kook walk together to the car. When they’ve reach Jong Kook’s car, then only Jong Kook start talking.

“Well, thank you very much for the dinner. It was nice meeting your family. I hope to meet your brother as well in the future.” Jong Kook speaks like nothing happen.

When Jong Kook enters his car, Ji-hyo comes in as well and sit at the front passenger seat. Then she locks the door. Since Jong Kook’s car was tinted, so it’s much comfortable for them to be inside the car than staying outside.

“Owh,…what’s up, Ji-hyo? Do you want to say anything?”

Ji-hyo just look to the front.

“Ji-hyo ah, it’s not nice to leave your guest inside…your parents will be wondering as well…go back, okay…” Jong Kook speaks softly.

Ji-hyo suddenly grab both Jong Kook’s hand and kiss it. “Mianhae, jagiya! We didn’t know that Kang Gary will come.”

Jong Kook fake his smile. “It’s okay…I don’t wanna talk about it…at least everyone is happy tonight.” (Everyone is happy,…apart from me…)

“Really?? Are you sure you’re happy? I’m glad if you are….coz I’m not…” Suddenly there’s anger, frustration and sadness in Ji-hyo’s voice.

Jong Kook bring Ji-hyo’s chin up. He’s surprise to find her eyes were watery and was about to flow. “Hey…love…why are you crying?? Hey….please don’t cry, yeobo…” Jong Kook use his romantic voice to coax his girlfriend, and pull Ji-hyo into his arms. Right at that moment Ji-hyo starts to cry out. Jong Kook pat her back with full of love, which makes her cry more.

“Sshhh…..love, please don’t cry…I’m sorry if I said something wrong, hurm??”

“I’m so upset…that tonight…doesn’t goes well as planned…oppa, we’re sorry about Kang Gary…I know you’re upset as well…I can see it in your eyes…” Ji-hyo continues to cry.

“Well, it’s not something that I expected…I can’t say that I’m happy about it..but it already happened…and luckily things were under control…”

“Oppa, I know you’re angry. You even called me by name just now, instead of the usual nickname.”

“Ahahah..you notice that? You are unbelievable, you know that??” Jong Kook look into Ji-hyo’s eyes. “So, tell me what happened. Who invited Gary? Was it Ji-eun?”

“A-ni! Umma invited Kang Gary. When I told her this morning, she asked if he’s from Running Man. When I said yes, she directly thought it was Kang Gary. So she thought of giving me a surprise and called Kang Gary. But Kang Gary tells her that I didn’t inform him anything. Umma assumed that I have not told him yet, so she invited Kang Gary first.”

“And thou you did not invite Gary, he still came without double confirm with you…hurm…that’s funny…”

“Oppa, please don’t be mad at us. Umma have no idea about you at all. I’m sorry for all the miscommunication.”

“It’s okay…things happen for a reason...and I can see that your parents seem happy with Gary, like him so much, and were hopeful towards him,” Jong Kook said, a little bit sad. 

“No, oppa! Please don’t think like that…yes, they were excited to see Gary, but that doesn’t mean they prefer him more than you…please don’t think like that….pleaseee…” Ji-hyo started to cry again.  

Jong Kook quickly hug Ji-hyo. “Sshh…let’s cut it out, okay?? You’re my ace, you’re my love, you can never be this weak…”

“Then why are you saying things like that? Why do you wanna make me cry?” Ji-hyo sounds like a little girl.

Jong Kook hold Ji-hyo’s cheek with both his hands, making her face to face with him. He wipe her tears with his thumb.

“Mianhae….for making you cry…I wasn’t thinking right…it was nobody’s fault…okay?”

Ji-hyo nodded. Jong Kook then place his kiss on Ji-hyo’s lips to console her.

“Better?” Jong Kook asked, after the kiss.

Ji-hyo nodded again, and smile a little bit.

“Babe, as much as I would love to kidnap you, I think you have to go back in, before someone starts looking for you.”

“N-ne….you drive carefully, jagiya…”

“I will……”

They hug and kiss for the last time. Just before Ji-hyo open the door, Jong Kook reach a bouquet of flower from the back seat.

“Here’s for the one I love….” Jong Kook pass it to Ji-hyo.

“Owh?? Oppa….” Ji-hyo feels so in love, and touched. She’s about to cry again.

“Arkkk!! No more tears, please?? Or I’ll take it back…” Jong Kook threaten.

“Andwae! Thank you, boyfriend. I love it!” Ji-hyo kiss Jong Kook’s cheek.

“Sweet dreams, k? Love you….” Jong Kook wipe away all the tears on Ji-hyo’s face.

“Love you two millions more…hehe…drive carefully, jagiya. Text me when you arrived.”

“Will do…nite!”

 

Ji-hyo get out from Jong Kook’s car with a bouquet of flower. When she’s about to reach her house door, Gary calls from outside.

“Ji-hyo ah..”

“Owh, Kang Gary..what are you doing outside?”

“Looking for you..”

“Looking for me?? Why?”

“Erm….coz you’ve been out to send Jong Kook hyung, for quite sometimes. I thought something happened.”

“Ahhh, I’m fine. We just had a little chat, doesn’t realize it’s been a while…”

“I see…why did you get into his car?”

“Because…..it’s freezing outside…”

“Really? Or did you both do something in the car?” Gary sounds jealous.

“What? Do what Kang Gary? Stop asking like a jealous husband.” Ji-hyo try to joke around, but Gary still look serious.

“And who’s that for?” Gary pointed to the flower with his eyes.

“This….is for Ji-eun,” Ji-hyo lied. “Anymore questions?”

“…..No!.....”

“Good! Let’s go inside..it’s freezing…”

Gary follow Ji-hyo from behind. He try to believe what Ji-hyo said to him, but it still sound suspicious.

 

When they were inside, everyone were asking about the flowers.

“Ahhh, Ji-eun…this is from your boyfriend…” Gary suddenly speak up.

Ji-hyo is quite surprise with his act, but she stay calm.

“For me??” Ji-eun asked.

“N-ne! Here…” Ji-hyo passed the flower. “He thought you will be sending him out, but since you’re not there, he passed it to me…”

“Arhhhh…..so sweet….see what I mean, appa?? Kang Gary, you need to learn from Jong Kook oppa…” Ji-eun purposely highlighted in front of Ji-hyo. She know Ji-hyo will already jump on her if Gary is not there.

“Owh..I will not bring flowers, coz it will die…but I will surely bring a ring..how’s that?”

“Omo! Jinja?? Will you bring it to me, oppa? Hehehe….”

“I will bring it to you…for you to see…hahaha…”

“Huh, funny….” Ji-eun then walks into her room to place the flower, living others in the living hall.

 

After Gary goes back, Ji-hyo clean the dishes and go straight into her room. She lie with her face down on the bed. She closed her eyes and suddenly there’s a knock on her door.  

“Owh..appa..”

“Have you slept? Did I wake you?”

“A-ni! I’m just resting…come in…”

Ji-hyo and his father sit on the bed.

“Seong-im ah, I can see that you’re not happy tonight. What happened?”

“Mwuh?? I’m fine, appa…”

“Well, umma have told me about the miscommunication…are you upset with her?”

“….No!...It’s not about that…”

“Okay, let’s open up..it’s been awhile that I’m catching up your stories..”

Ji-hyo play with her fingers.

“So, I guess your actual boyfriend is….Kim Jong Kook?”

“….N-ne….” Ji-hyo answered slowly.

“I thought so…I can see it in both eyes…”

“Owh…appa, you knew??”

“Do you think I can’t see it? Him staring at you, you glaring at him..I can sense awkwardness the moment Gary arrived. But I just want to act along with you both. And I believe Ji-eun is in this act as well?”

“Well,…sort of..coz only she knew about us…”

“Ahahah…and you trust her? Look how happy she is when we’re teasing her with Jong Kook. Aren’t you afraid if she seriously fall for Jong Kook?”

“Appa, you know Ji-eun is easily fall for someone, and easily transfer her crush to someone else. I don’t think I have to be worry about her.”

“Ahahahaa….you’re right…I was just testing you…so, how did Jong Kook felt when he saw Gary? Weren’t he jealous that Gary act as if he’s close with our family? Funny Gary…”

Ji-hyo keep quiet.

“Seong-im?”

“He…..he felt that you and umma prefer Gary than him..he felt that you both really like Gary..”

“Owh…that means my acting is quite good..hahaha…but he must be pretty sad eh? Frustrated maybe?”

“…..N-ne…..”

“Omo! But you know it’s not true right?”

Ji-hyo keep quiet again.

“Seong-im ah, you know I will accept whoever you choose. And same for umma. We believe your decision. And seeing Jong Kook, I don’t think we will have any doubts on him. You should make him understand that. Whatever he saw just now is not real. We just act along since Gary is over excited. We don’t wanna do anything to upset him.”

“I already told him that….but he’s not convinced….”

“Owh…he must be too frustrated then…okay, give him a call…let me talk to him…”

“What? Appa, it’s okay…he will understand..he just need to do some thinking, alone…”

“Just call him…I still wanna talk to him before I leave tomorrow…”

 

Ji-hyo dial Jong Kook’s number.

“Yeoboseyo!”

“Yeoboseyo, oppa! Have you arrived? Or still driving?”

“I’ve arrived, darling. I was just about to text you…”

“Owh, okay…err, appa would like to speak to you…”

“Mwuh?? Your dad? Why?”

“Just hold on…”

Ji-hyo passed the phone to her dad.

“Jong Kook ah, sorry to interrupt you…”

“Owh, a-ni….how can I help you sir?”

“I want to say sorry, for your uncomfortable feeling tonight…Ji-hyo has told me, we’re sorry that it wasn’t a proper meet up with you..”

“Owh, it’s okay sir..I completely understand…”

“I really don’t want you to get the wrong idea of me and Ji-hyo’s mom. Please don’t think that we prefer Gary or hoping for Gary to be with Ji-hyo. We accept whoever that makes our daughter happy. And knowing that you make her really happy, so much in love,…I believe Ji-hyo has made a right decision.”

“Err….thank you, sir…I’m speechless…”

“Don’t be…I know you’re a nice guy..but please don’t make Ji-hyo sad anymore…hahah..”

“Of course, sir. I will take care of her the best I could.”

“Alright then. We should have another dinner after I come back from States. I’m sure it’ll be a nice one,…at least better than tonight…”

“Owh, of course..I hope to meet you again, sir…”

“I’ll pass back to Ji-hyo then…good night!”

“Good night, sir! And thank you again.”

Ji-hyo get back her phone and her dad leave the room to give them privacy.

“Oppa, you’re okay now?”

“I think I can sleep in smile tonight…but how can you make your dad say all that? It’s kind of embarrassing you know..”

“Coz you’re not convinced with whatever I said. And I’m afraid you’ll be sulky for a long time…”

“Sulky? I thought we have settled this in the car.”

“Knowing you oppa, I know you will hide your frustration. You’ll keep it until you’re about to explode. And I don’t want that to happen. We’re in love, I want us to always be happy…”

“I’m happy for as long I’m with you, Song Ji-hyo. Come whatever frustration, or upset, or angry, I’m still thankful and happy to have met you, and be in love with you…no worries, k?”

“Okay..get some rest okay, jagiya? I love you…”

“Love you…sleep well okay? Bye!”

 

Line disconnected. While Ji-hyo lie on her bed facing the ceiling, she then remember her flowers that she gave Ji-eun. She walks to her sister room.

“Ehemm…..Ji-eun ah…..ermm….can I have my flowers back?” Ji-hyo asked, feeling shy.

“Mwuh?? Owh you mean the flowers that ‘my boyfriend’ gave me? Sorry….you’re too late…”

“Yah Song Ji-eun…don’t try to make me angry yahh….”

“Aihhh unnie, you already get the person, just let me have the flowers will you?”

“Yahh!! Those flowers are for me…if Kang Gary hasn’t showed up, I would have sleep with it tonight!!”

“Whatever it is, it’s mine…ask him to send you another one…hehe..”

“Aihhh….” Ji-hyo get fed up to fight and almost left the room. But she turn back to her sister and pull Ji-eun’s hair really hard.

“Unnie!! Arghhhh!! Umma, appa!!”

Ji-hyo then let go and run back to her room with laughs.

“Arghhh, what have I done to get this crazy sister?? Arghhhh……” Ji-eun looks into mirror and repair her hair.

 

When Ji-hyo get back to her room, she call her boyfriend.

“Oppa….”

“Yes, dear…still couldn’t sleep?”

“Not that….my pabo sister has kidnap the flowers that you gave me..”

“Owh?? How come?”

“When Kang Gary ask me about it, I have to say it’s for Ji-eun and gave it to her…but when I asked back from her, she won’t let me have it anymore…” Ji-hyo complained to her boyfriend.

“Hurmm…it’s okay then..I’ll get you a new one okay? Or would you like something else?”

“Can I have you? Heheh…”

“Hurmmm….the naughty one has come out eh…I’d love to be with you, love..you know it…”

“Hahah…I’m just joking, oppa…I’ll be waiting for our vacation neh..”

“Okay…I love you…good night..”

“Good night!”

And they both go to sleep peacefully.