Chapter 18

Beautiful Secret

 

A few days had passed. Ji-hyo already get back to work and continue her drama series Gyebaek. Which means all the packed schedule is back. But this time her manager makes sure she didn’t dry off her energy. Jong Kook is also monitoring her condition every day.

Just after few days Ji-hyo comes back for the drama, she needs to prepare for the SBS Entertainment Award. This is the first time she will be attending having Jong Kook as her boyfriend. She’s nervous and really wants to look stunning for her boyfriend, though only few people know about their relationship.

“Ji-eun ah, let’s go shopping.”

“Huwaaa…are you buying me anything?”

“No! But I need to get clothes for SBS Entertainment Award. I have nothing to pick yet..I’m so blur.....and blank...”

“What will your boyfriend wear? Do you want to wear the same color as him?”

“You’re right. I should ask him about it.”

Ji-hyo calls her boyfriend, knowing that he’s free at the moment.

“Oppa…”

“Hi, girlfriend. How are you?”

“I’m good. Oppa, sorry to disturb you. Ermm….have you pick your clothes for this coming SBS Award?”

“Yes, already. Have you pick anything?”

“Not yet. I totally forget about it. And now I’m gonna rush with Ji-eun and try to get something. I really hope there’s something for me out there. Oppa, what colors will you wear? Black is it?”

“Yes, I’m wearing black. Don’t worry, love..I’m sure there’ll be something out there that will make you look stunning. You are beautiful, you can fit anything and still look beautiful.”

“Ahh, jagiya! You’re making me blushed….”

“I love to make you blush. If I’m around I’ll be kissing that red tomato cheek..”

“Stop it! Ji-eun is here…”

“Oppa, don’t make me throw up with your cheeky lines!!” Ji-eun shouted from behind.

“Ahahaha, as naughty as her sister. Yeobo, let’s wear the same color okay? I can’t wait to see you. It’s the first time we’ll be attending as a couple. Well of course we need to keep it inside us only…”

“Ahahaha…yes…I’m excited as well…okay, jagiya..I’m going out now…”

“Okay! Take care…owh yeobo, please don’t buy something daring and y. I can’t help it if every man will be looking at you that night.”

“Ahhh, your jealousy is back..hehehe…I’ll try my best…but if that what makes me beautiful, then I should wear it right? And you’re supposed to be proud that your girlfriend makes everyone look at her.”

“Well, I’d rather chain you at home in that case..hhahah…”

“Omo!! You’re scary…hehehe…okay, I will find something stunning for your eyes only…I love you, jagiya…”

“Love you….err Ji-hyo ah…try to go to Bensoni..I bet they have something that suits you..and their designs are usually exclusive, elegance and ready to wear…”

“Owh! Since when were you into fashion? That’s a very good progress, jagiya…I will try to go there first. Thanks.”

 

Ji-hyo and her sister went to Bensoni as mentioned by Jong Kook. At first, Ji-eun doesn’t agree to go to the boutique recommended by Jong Kook. Not that Jong Kook doesn’t have taste in fashion, but to actually believe that a strong guy can suggest a suitable boutique for exclusive dress is just unimaginable. But the moment they reach in front of the boutique, Ji-eun is already impressed.

“Omo! Unnie, did he really suggest this place? This is a very nice boutique..”

“Huh, next time don’t underestimate my boyfriend. He may be tough, but he’s lovely and romantic. He may seem manly, but he does have taste in fashion and pretty up to date with it.”

“Fine! He’s full of surprises.”

 

Ji-hyo and Ji-eun enter the boutique and being greeted by a very friendly salesgirl.

“Miss Song Ji-hyo, welcome to our boutique.”

“Aaah….thank you…it’s a very nice boutique..” 

“Thank you. Would you like to look around first? Or do you want to get your present first?”

“Pre…..sorry…present? What for? Lucky customer? Hehe..”

“Ermm…maybe I should give it to you first. Please have a sit, I’ll be right back.” The salesgirl left.

Ji-hyo and Ji-eun look around for the dresses while waiting for the salesgirl.

“Unnie, today should be your lucky day…you were stress and afraid that you have no clothes, and don’t know where to go, now we’re in a beautiful boutique and you’ll get your present as well…I really hope it’s not just a mineral water or umbrella…hehe”

“Hahaha….yahhh, just accept whatever the gift is…”

 

The salesgirl returns with a hanged dress covered and a large gift box.

“Miss Song Ji-hyo, here’s for you…”

Ji-hyo opens the cover for the dress to find a very elegant black velvet dress with a slant stripe on its waist while Ji-eun open the box to find an evening dinner clutch bag in black color glittered with diamonds and a black velvet high heel. Both seem speechless.

“Ermm…sorry…but I didn’t get it...is this all for me? For what?”

“I will get my boss to explain about it…please wait..”

“Ahhh Song Ji-hyo-ssi…I’ve been waiting to finally meet you..I’m Sonia, owner of this boutique..,” a lady looking sophisticated greets them and introduce herself. “You can go, Nara..thanks,” she instructed her staff to leave.

“Nice to meet you, Sonia-ssi. I really don’t understand what this is all about.”

“Hurm, let say you’re lucky to have such a loving boyfriend who understands you and knows what suits you.”

“Wait a second…what do you mean…boyfriend?..” Ji-hyo looked puzzled, so as Ji-eun.

“Well, your boyfriend, Kim Jong Kook, give me a call to prepare all this especially for you.”

“Omo! How did you know about Kim Jong Kook and my sister?” Ji-eun started her interrogation.

Sonia laughs hearing the question.

“Okay! It looks like you’re totally clueless about me. Kim Jong Kook is my childhood friend, who also happened to be my best friend, without being known by public. I have been in Paris for many years and had just come back which is why I opened this store. Jong Kook has been really supportive all this while throughout my career, but he never mentioned about you. Knowing him, it’s pretty hard to make him speak about his love life. So I understand why he keeps your story secretly.”

“But how come now you know about us?” Ji-hyo asked.

“It’s all because of the SBS award that you will be attending. Knowing that I’m a fashion designer, he simply ordered me to pick something for himself; I don’t know whether he’s lazy or couldn’t find time to get it himself. But once I pick something for him, I ask him to come here and have a look. Thank goodness everything fits perfectly and that’s when he saw this dress and asks if I can keep it for him. He also asks me to find suitable clutch and shoes for this dress. Of course I couldn’t just keep quiet about all this so that’s when he told me about you. But don’t worry; I’ll make sure it’s safe within me.”

Ji-hyo just couldn’t believe what she heard. She knows Jong Kook loves to make surprises for her but this is too much for her to accept.

“Why don’t you try the dress first? So that maybe we can do some alteration if needed.”

 

Ji-hyo nodded and get into the fitting room. Once she tries on the dress together with the shoes, she walks out to her sister and Sonia.

“Wowww!! Unnie, you look so beautiful…”

“It fits you perfectly. He really knows what he’s doing.”

Ji-hyo looks into the mirror and her eyes suddenly watery. She’s touched. Never had she experienced something wonderful like this before. How can her boyfriend know exactly what she likes, her preference? She didn’t even realize Kim Jong Kook has take note on what she likes and what she doesn’t like.

When she get into the changing room to change back, Ji-eun continue chatting with Sonia.

“But how can Jong Kook oppa pick this dress, without even sure that we’re coming here?”

“Well, let say Ji-hyo didn’t come here, he will just give it as a gift later on.”

Ji-hyo come out and joins them.

“So how is it? You’re free to pick something else if you’re not satisfied with that dress,” Sonia suggests.

“Oh no! It’s lovely, and perfect. Thank you so much…”

“Well, thanks to your loved one. So I guess mission accomplished yach? Hehe…he’s excited when he called this morning knowing that you’ll be coming here. He really loves the dress and would like to see you in it.”

“Yes, I’m sure he loves it so much. Erm, Miss Sonia…can you do me a favor?”

“Of course.”

“Please tell Kim Jong Kook, that I didn’t pick any dress here. It’s my turn to surprise him. Hehe!”

“Ahahhaha…..now I know why you both complement each other. Alright I’ll do it. He will surely ask me lots of questions, but I’m sure I’m a good actress. Heheh…”

“Thank you so much! And it’s so nice to meet you, his secret best friend.”

“Hahah, that’s him. Hey, but you can find me anytime if you wanna talk okay? I’ll give you my number.”

“Okay! Thanks again. We’ll get going now.”

“See you!”

 

Ji-hyo had been quiet on their way home.

“Unnie, weren’t you happy with the dress?”

“A-ni! I’m more than delighted. In fact I’m speechless. Can you believe he’s doing all these for me?”

“I won’t believe it before this. But now, this is him, unnie. He’s totally full of surprises.”

“Yeah…but I’m afraid being too much spoiled with all this…I’m afraid something bad will happen one day..”

“Unnie, just go with the flow and enjoy it every day. We can never predict what will happen in the future and we can’t go back to yesterday..what we have is only today..so enjoy it..”

Ji-hyo looks to her sister surprisingly, couldn’t believe that advices came from her little sister.

“What?” Ji-eun asks while driving.

“Daebak!! I can’t believe those words coming out from you, Ji-eun..”

“Haihh! I know when to be matured, unnie. Heheheh…”

 

Jong Kook is excited to find out from his friend Sonia if Ji-hyo likes the dress he picked or not.

“Well, unfortunately, she wants to find something else more dashing, Jong Kook. I’m sorry for you.”

“Really? What did she said?”

“Nothing much. She just didn’t seem to like it. It’s too simple for her. She want something shorter and classy.”

“Ahh….okay then. Just keep it till I pick it up..”

“Sure! But please come after the award yach. I’m leaving Korea today, and will only be back after a week.”

“Alright! I’m in no rush. It’s not like she’ll be wearing it for the event. Thanks, Sonia.” Jong Kook said, sadly.

“No problem! Hey, have fun…I’m sure you’re gonna be happy on that day…”

“Hope so….”

 

The SBS Entertainment Award is finally happening. Stars from all over Korea gathers for this event which honored the best and brightest of SBS’s programs throughout the year. Since Running Man is being nominated, all the cast and crews were invited to attend the event.

Kim Jong Kook, Yoo Jae Suk and other male casts arrive early to the event. While they were taking photographs on the red carpet, Jong Kook’s heart is beating really fast wondering how his girlfriend will look at the event. According to Sonia, Ji-hyo would like to wear something pretty short dress which makes him more nervous. Moreover he didn’t speak to Ji-hyo after she gets her dress.

When suddenly they heard cheering and clapping, everyone look to the entrance. That’s when Ji-hyo walks in with the stunning black dress complete with the clutch bag and high heel that her boyfriend picked for her. Her hair was tied like a bun. Jong Kook couldn’t believe what he saw with his own eyes. He already give up hopes when Sonia told him Ji-hyo rejected the dress he picked. Now he’s wondering if those two were playing tricks on him.   

The moment his eyes met with Ji-hyo, nothing could be express through words. They both smile to each other with a glittering smile. Only their eyes speak.

(You look so stunning, and beautiful, love..I wish we can take a picture with you in my arms right now….)

(Thank you for this lovely dress, jagiya….I’m touched…love it very much…)

Ji-hyo automatically stands next to Jong Kook on the red carpet. Jae-suk and Haha just couldn’t close their mouth looking at Ji-hyo. After taking photos, they walk into the hall. Jong Kook walks next to Jae Suk and Haha, whispering something.

“Yahh! I know my girlfriend looks pretty and stunning, but please close your mouth before I lost my patience.”

“Oh come on…it’s not like we get to see her like this always….” Jae-suk said.

“Hyung, this is like a miracle. I never thought a pumpkin can turn into Cinderella…if she wears skirt during Running Man, I will still see a man wearing a skirt…”

“Yahh!! Pabo!!” Ji-hyo hit Haha’s back really hard.

“Ouchh!! Heeya…your dress really doesn’t soften your attitude, Mong Ji.”

“Shut up! I know you’re jealous you can’t be with me. Huh!”

“Hahaha…Ji-hyo ah, you better control yourself in this event,” Jae-suk remind Ji-hyo.

 

All Running Man casts sit at the same table starting with Kwang Soo, Ji-hyo, Jong Kook, Suk Jin, Haha and Jae-suk. Only Gary did not attend the function due to his Leesang programs. Jong Kook obviously chooses to sit next to Ji-hyo. Just a few second after they sit together, they have been whispering to one another.

“You look beautiful, darling…”

“Thank you to the person who chose this perfect dress. I’m falling in love deeply with him.”

“Ahh..I really hope he’s worth to be loved..”

“He’s more than worth..I’m lucky to have him in my life..”

Jong Kook and Ji-hyo were smiling to each other.

“Spend the night with me, my love…” Jong Kook whisper again.

Ji-hyo smile for a moment, think for a while before answering “Would love to” to Kim Jong Kook.

They do not realize that Kwang Soo has been looking at them since the beginning.

“Noona, Hyung,…are you both in love??” Kwang Soo questioned.

Everyone at the table suddenly look at Ji-hyo and Jong Kook.

“A-ni!!! What kind of question is that?” Ji-hyo sounds angry.

“Nothing…you both just look like you’re in love…you have been whispering the whole time..what could be so secret that you won’t let us know?”

“Yah Kwang Soo!! We’re sitting in the middle of two professional betrayers. How can we let you both hear our conversation?” Jong Kook added.

“Aih Kim Jong Kook. We are only betrayers in the show. Outside we will not do that especially to any of you…right Kwang Soo?” Suk Jin defends himself.

“N-neh….”

“Ahahahah….with that look on Kwang Soo’s face, it’s so untrustworthy. Sorry, Suk Jin hyung. You both look so doubtful,” Jong Kook said in laugh.

 

Then the event begins. Many awards were presented. Jong Kook and Ji-hyo win the Excellence Award through Running Man, Lee Kwang Soo wins the SBS Variety New Star Award, Haha win the Best Variety Entertainer Award while the grand winner goes to Yoo Jae-suk for Entertainment Daesang. Only Ji Suk Jin and Gary from Running Man didn’t win anything in this event.

After the function and spend some times at the post-party, they decide to celebrate it outside just among themselves. They plan to go to a private club which also belongs to one of their friends. Jong Kook, Ji-hyo and Haha goes in one car, Kwang Soo goes with Jae-suk and Suk Jin drive himself. He needs to bring his own car because he’s afraid he needs to leave early.

When they arrive at the club, they were surprise to be greeted by Gary.

“What’s up everyone?? I heard that we won big tonight….”

“Hyung, everybody won….except you and Suk Jin hyung…” Kwang Soo explained.       

“Aihhh….Suk Jin hyung, we need to over shadow every one this coming series.”

“Yes, Gary…that’s what I thought. Every show we will need to eliminate Yoo Jae-suk first. Coz he’s the big winner tonight. Hahah…”

“Yah!! That’s pretty harsh don’t you think, Suk Jin?” Jae-suk ask Suk Jin.

“I will do anything starting this coming episode. It’s my time now…”

Everyone laughs watching Suk Jin’s determination. Gary then notices Ji-hyo sitting quietly next to Kim Jong Kook.

“Song Ji-hyo…..you really wowww me tonight….” Gary said.

“Owh, thank you.”

“If only I could be at the event tonight, we’ll be on every front page tomorrow..huh…imagine the headline ‘Monday Couple steal the show’…huh…”

“Erhhh, never mind. I’d rather be low profile…hehe..”

Gary try to cover his upset. (You will never understand my feeling, Ji-hyo ah…)

 

They continue to chat, drink, dance and laugh for almost three hours at the club. When they decide to leave, Gary offers to send Ji-hyo home.

“Err, it’s okay Kang Gary. Jong Kook oppa will send me home, because Gap Jin and Chang Joo oppa will meet at my house to have a discussion.”

“Really? But isn’t it too late now? Owh…I thought we can continue chatting all the way to your house. It’s quite hard to meet or spend times with you nowadays. Are you avoiding me, Ji-hyo ah?”

“Mwuh? A-ni!! You know we both have a busy schedule. Until I finish my drama, this is how it’s going to be.”

“Arasseo! I will wait for that moment…” Gary sound upset again.

“Hyung, don’t worry. You can send me home. I didn’t have any transport back.”

“Aih Kwang Soo ah….you will only make me sleep halfway…go and find other driver..” Gary refuses to send Kwang Soo.

“Gary hyung, please don’t be like this. It’s already late now. It’s hard to grab a taxi. Jae-suk hyung will send Haha. There is no way they want to send me, hyung. Please!”

“Haihhh….why am I always the victim of you, Kwang Soo ah?? You better be good to me in Running Man.”

“Of course, hyung. You’re my idol…”

Gary watch Ji-hyo get into Jong Kook’s car with a hard feelings.

“Gary ah, don’t be sad. Your time will come with Ji-hyo,” Jae-suk try to calm Gary.

“Jae-suk hyung, I just don’t feel good about Ji-hyo and Jong Kook lately. I think……..never mind…I’m leaving, hyung. You drive carefully....Yah Kwang Soo ah!!! Let’s go!!”

Everyone left and go back home.