Chapter 13

Beautiful Secret

 

“Owh, annyeong!” Everyone greeted the person who just enters Ji-hyo’s room.

“Yah Kang Gary…I thought you were in Busan?” Ji-hyo asked in curiosity.

“N-ne…but there has been some problems over there, so my schedule will only continue at night. Therefore I rushed coming here, and after this I need to run back over there.”

“Awww, that’s very sweet of you, oppa,” said Ji-hyo little sister, Ji-eun.

“Aih..erm…I’m just concern about her..” Gary answered with his already red face. “How are you, mam?” Gary asked Ji-hyo’s mom.

“I’m good…hahhh, I’ve been looking forward to meet you personally, Gary. I believe you’re the close one with Ji-hyo right now. I also believe you’re the one who makes Ji-hyo happy now.”

“Umma, what are you saying? We’re just friends, same like others.”

Gary then handed a bouquet of flower and a cute teddy bear to Ji-hyo.

“Oppa, why trouble yourself to bring this?”

“Err,..I’m far away at the moment..so I thought this teddy bear can be a replacement for you to cuddle, while you’re missing me…ehehe..”

“Yah, Kang Gary! What makes you think I miss you right now?” Ji-hyo burst out with laughter.

“Gary ah, please come and have dinner with our family when Ji-hyo comes back ya. Everyone at home will be welcoming you with open arms.”

“Umma, what are you doing? Stop giving hope to this guy.” (My boyfriend will be upset if he heard this, Umma…aichihh…)

“I’m not giving hope, Seong-im. I insist. Your dad has been asking about Gary all this while.”

“Unnie, I’m sure it’s fun to have Gary oppa around. After all, who knows he might be part of the family later…right Umma?..”

Gary is smiling shyly while covering his face.

Everyone else were laughing seeing Gary’s act but Baek Chang Joo feels a little bit uncomfortable. And they continue the chatting and laughing without realizing that someone else is outside of the room, hearing everything that happened inside.

 

Kim Jong Kook slowly put the paper bag that he brings for Ji-hyo near the door. He decided not to enter the room, afraid that he may interrupt the happiness in the room.

Just as he left the lobby, Haha and Gap Jin meet him.

“Where are you going, hyung?” Haha asked.

“I….I need to go…something came up…”

“What do you mean? Let me get the car then,” Gap Jin offered.

“It’s okay, Gap Jin. I can go by myself.”

Kim Jong Kook just walks away.

“Ooh…that’s weird..what happened to him?” Haha ask Gap Jin but both didn’t have any answer. They just continue to take the elevator to Ji-hyo’s room.

 

“Owh, Gary…how come you’re here? You said you have a tight schedule in Busan. Did you run away?” Haha asked Gary.

“Well,..it seems like me and Ji-hyo have some kind of connection. Yes I’m pretty busy now, but because my…ehem..so called girlfriend is sick, coincidently there’s a problem with my scheduled event, so I have around few hours break and I took the chance to come here. Don’t you think we’re fate to be together?” Gary joke in front of everyone.

“Wahhhh, are you trying to upgrade yourself in front of Ji-hyo’s family?” Haha tease Gary.

“Aihhh…..A-ni…I believe I already have a high score without doing anything…ehehe…”

Baek Chang Joo them interfere.

“Dong Hoon ah, is this yours?” while showing the paper bag that he found at the door.

“Err…this is…” Gap Jin tap Haha’s back, hinting him not to reveal anything. “Errr, it’s not mine..where did you found it?”

“Outside this room. That’s weird. Meaning someone is here, but doesn’t come in.” Baek Chang Joo explained.

“Could it be my secret admirer? Hehe…” Ji-hyo joke around.

“Yah! Can you at least try not to be excited in front of me? Ahh…now I know…the gossip in the newspaper this morning is true, isn’t it?” Gary pretends to be angry at Ji-hyo.

“Owh, so it wasn’t you that was sneaking around?” Ji-hyo’s mom added.

“Aihh…I wish it was me, ajummoni. But it seems like your daughter is cheating on me. I better jump from the roof now,” Gary pretends he is frustrated.

Everyone in the room laugh watching his act.

“Yah! I can help to push you if you want,” Ji-hyo added.

“Why are you being so cruel to me? After all I did?? Huwaa…”

“Gary ah, don’t be sad. We’ll give our bless to you ah..” Ji-hyo’s mom trying to coax Gary.

“Umma..” (He’s not my loved one, Umma. You give bless to the wrong person.)

At this moment, Haha’s been thinking in his mind. (Yah Kim Jong Kook, now I understand why you left. It seems your love life is pretty hard, with lots of obstacle. Be strong, hyung. We’ll be by your side.)

 

Kim Jong Kook lie down on the couch while watching the tv blankly. Nothing seems to interest him when his mind keeps on repeating the conversation from Ji-hyo’s mother and sister to Gary. It seems like Ji-hyo’s family is already giving blessing to Gary. Where should he stand then from now onwards?

While his mind was busy with all his thoughts, he received an sms from Gary.

Gary    : Hyung, I’m so happy. I get to meet Ji-hyo’s mom and sister and it seems like I’ve been approved to be part of their family….arghh, this is like a blessing..I hope my journey with Ji-hyo will go smoothly after this. Hyung, look what I gave her, a teddy bear. And she’s hugging it happily..today is really my day…

Jong Kook view the picture that Gary had sent him. It was a picture of Ji-hyo smiling happily while hugging the teddy bear that Gary gave her. It hurt him even more, especially when he’s handling it by himself. He didn’t have any intention to discuss with Ji-hyo about this, since Ji-hyo looks happy. (I miss you, Lioness. I wish I can be by your side right now. But it doesn’t matter anymore, for as long you’re happy…). Jong Kook close his eyes, trying to relax his mind and get rid of all the pain.

 

Gap Jin who just enter the house, surprised to see Jong Kook lying on the couch.

“Here you are..I thought you have things to do.”

Jong Kook didn’t answer.

“Aihh...what is this all about? Is it about Gary?”

“Seems like her family already chose Gary. Give him blessing.”

“That’s because they didn’t know you were with her. How would you know if they will choose Gary over you, if all you did was hiding your love from them?”

“I’m not hiding. I just don’t feel it’s the right time yet to meet her family.”

“Fine! Than deal with your unsecure feelings.”

Their conversation were interrupted when Jong Kook’s mobile ringing. Getting fed up; Gap Jin walks to his room.

“N-ne hyung. What’s up?”

“Oppa…I missed you…” It was Ji-hyo, not Chang Joo. Ji-hyo used her manager’s phone since her phone is still switched off and under Baek Chang Joo’s keeping.

Jong Kook suddenly smile.

“Oh hello, my love. How are you today?” Jong Kook try to be happy, didn’t want to worry Ji-hyo.

“I’m much better. I stop using the respirator.”

“Owh, that’s good.”

Then both of them keep quiet for few seconds.

“Oppa, are you okay? You didn’t sound like usual.”

“What? I’m okay. Maybe I’m just tired.”

“Eh? I don’t think so. Oppa, what time are you coming here?”

(I was there, love. I know everything that happened today.) “Ermm..I can’t confirm yet. I may need to be in the studio till morning.”

“Owh, so I won’t be seeing you today? This is not good…..”

“Why? Missing me too much, yeobo?”

“A-ni..” Ji-hyo in denial. “Owh oppa, I received a gift from my secret admirer today..I reaaaaallllyy love the gift.” Ji-hyo trying to test Jong Kook.

“Owh, so now you have a secret admirer? What did he give you?”

“Hurmm…how did you know it’s a ‘he’?”

“Err…well, of course it’s a ‘he’…or would you rather to have a female secret admirer? That’s scary, don’t you think?”

“Ahahaha, ya that’s kind of scary…oppa, can you come here for even five minutes? I want to see you,” Ji-hyo try to coax her boyfriend in a very enticing voice.

Jong Kook is smiling alone when hearing his girlfriend begging. He’s very weak when it comes to Ji-hyo. He finally agreed to visit Ji-hyo.

 

After hang up with her boyfriend, Ji-hyo feels excited and happy. Her sister who has been watching from the moment she’s on the phone, looks pretty confused.

“Unnie,…so you are really in love??”

Ji-hyo has just realized that her sister is in the room. When she called her boyfriend earlier, her sister went down to the café, while her manager went to send her mom back home. (When did she come up? Aisshhh…)

“A-ni…,” Ji-hyo shake her head to deny.

“Unnie, I heard everything. You can’t hide it from me anymore. Ppaleun! Tell me, before I blew it to the press.” Ji-eun threatens her sister.

“A-ni!!” Ji-hyo hide her face under the pillow.

“Unnie....or maybe, I should just redial his number from the phone.”

Ji-hyo try to confiscate Chang Joo’s mobile that she used to call Jong Kook.

“Ji-eun, okay! Okay! Give me back the phone!”

“Tell me now!” Ji-eun was about to search for the number.

“Fine! But you swear not to tell anyone, cause nobody knows except few people which include you. Don’t even tell Umma!”

“I promise…with your name on my heart…”

“Yah!!”

“Okay! Okay!......Start…”

“Aishhh…I don’t know how to tell you..”

Ji-hyo’s face is turning red.

“Unnie, your face is now as red as a lobster…hahaha…what is so hard about it? Just give me name.”

“You will meet him,….later..”

“Omo? He’s coming?”

“N-ne…but I’m not sure around what time.”

“But I guess, he’s not Gary oppa right?”

“No! You were the one who give him hope.”

“Ahahahah…how would I know? You were the secretive one. Serves you right, isn’t it? Hahah..”

“If you like him so much, you can have him.”

“What?? I don’t think so. Unnie, tell me about it. How did you meet him? How long have you been together? And why the hell on earth do you have to keep it a secret? Is he someone famous?”

“Yahhh, Song Ji-eun! Do you plan to make me use the respirator again? Be patient, will you? I will answer when you meet him.”

“No way! I can’t stand still at all right now….Unnie, I’m always excited to know who can actually accept the blank girl here..I thought it’s gonna take a longer time for you to meet someone, but this is great.”

“You are always the hyper one in everything. Chihh!”

 

After about half an hour, Jong Kook arrived. He decided to visit Ji-hyo earlier to avoid any suspicious news. Although Chang Joo had warned him not to come yet, but he think he made the right decision. After all, he did miss his girlfriend so much.

When Jong Kook enter the room, he’s surprised to see Ji-hyo’s sister. He thought Ji-hyo was all alone or at least with her manager, coz Ji-hyo wouldn’t want her family to know about their relationship at this moment.

“Owh, annyeong!” Jong Kook greet and get speechless.

“Owh, Jong Kook oppa..I never thought could meet you in person here. You…..look really great in real life…” Ji-eun doesn't suspect anything at first.

Jong Kook say thanks few times for the compliments. As usual, he’s quite shy with girls, except with his girlfriend.

“Oppa, come here.” Ji-hyo asked Kim Jong Kook to sit next to her on the bed. Although Kim Jong Kook have doubts at first, but he believe Ji-hyo know what she’s doing.

Just when Jong Kook sit next to her, Ji-hyo hug behind Jong Kook’s waist with her right hand, and her left hand was on top of Jong Kook left hand. Her head is leaning on Jong Kook’s left shoulder, which makes Jong Kook stunned for few seconds with her act.

“Ji-eun ah, meet my boyfriend…my special one…my love one..Kim Jong Kook!” Ji-hyo introduce her boyfriend.

“Omo!!” Ji-eun couldn’t hide her surprise and close with both her hands. “Jinjja??”

“Well, he is my boyfriend to me…I don’t know about him. Yah jagiya, don’t you have anything to say??” Ji-hyo pinch softly at Jong Kook’s hand to wake him from dreaming.

“Err….ermm…n-ne…”

“Is that all you can say? Huh!!” Ji-hyo push Jong Kook from her bed.

Seeing Ji-hyo’s angry, Jong Kook try to sit back next to Ji-hyo and hold her hand.

“Why did you push me? Is that how you love me?” Jong Kook trying to make a statement in front Ji-hyo’s sister.

“Omo! Omo! Omo!!! Is this for real?? Unnie??”

“She’s my girlfriend. I love her, from the bottom of my heart.” With that Jong Kook kiss Ji-hyo’s hand.

And suddenly Ji-eun have been jumping and clapping her hands excitedly. “Daebak!!! Yes! Yes!”

“Ji-eun ah, did you take wrong medicine?” Ji-hyo .

“Unnie, I am superrrrr excited…for both of you…I have noticed many signs from Running Man between you two. You both seems to be hiding some crush towards each other. Yes, my instinct is right..my Spartace is for real!! Daebak!!!”

Jong Kook can’t help but smile shyly. Every pain he felt earlier totally gone when Ji-hyo’s sister sort of happy with their relationship.

“Yahh!! Can you please calm down?? It’s supposed to be a secret, but you jumping and screaming seems like the whole hospital will know about this.”

“Ahhh, let me enjoy this moment for a second. I am so happy for you, unnie…and you too, Jong Kook oppa. Let’s be best friend after this. I can tell you all of her bad attitude during childhood. Hehe..”

“Yah!! Do you want to replace me on this bed? Don’t you dare, Ji-eun.”

“Wow..I’m sure you have such a cutie childhood moments. I’d love to know more, if not from Ji-eun.”

“A-ni. She’s just making stories. Yah, Ji-eun. Go and buy us some drinks. Don’t you know how to treat the elder one?”   

“Arasso!! Oppa, don’t go first okay? I have lots of things to interview you. Wait for me okay?”

Ji-eun left the room still feeling excited.

 

Jong Kook adjust his position so that he’s facing Ji-hyo now. He still hold Ji-hyo’s hand.

“What was that all about? If this is some kind of a surprise that you plan, don’t do it again, coz my heart feels like jumping out.”

“Sorry….well…she heard me talking to you…so she force me to reveal everything..or else she will do something with the press.”

“Ahahah…how can a little girl threaten lioness like you? Weren’t she scared of you?”

“She have something wrong in her mind..hehehe…but, you don’t mind for her to know right?”

“Of course not, but at least do inform me earlier..I’m always excited to meet those who have been part of your life, I’m counting seconds to meet your family,….although I may not be the chosen one..” Jong Kook voices become low. Ji-hyo notice the sadness in Jong Kook’s tone, and eyes.

“Aaaahhh,…now I get it..”

“What?”

“So this is why you sounds different in the phone earlier.”

“What do you mean?”

“Oppa, you were outside when Kang Gary visit me just now right?”

“Mwuh? I’m not….” Jong Kook try to deny, but know in the end Ji-hyo’s too smart to be tricked. “How did you know?”

Ji-hyo then grab the lioness doll that she found in the paper bag.

“This is from my secret admirer, who also happened to be my secret lover.”

“Chih..you can just guess from a toy?”

“When you love someone, you have a very strong instinct about your loved one. Coz you’re always thinking about him 24/7. Jagiya, you’re the only one who called me ‘lioness’, and always relate me to it. The moment I saw this, I know it’s you.”

Jong Kook blush. Ji-hyo is really smart, in Running Man or outside.

“Fine, it’s me! Do you like it?”

“I love it! But I love the person who gives it more.”

“Really? But your mother seems to like the guy who gives you teddy bear.”

“Owh?? How did you know about the teddy bear?”

“Gary showed me the picture of you and the teddy bear. He’s really happy for getting blesses from your mom and sister….and your family, perhaps.”

“Love, don’t feel bad about it. My family never interferes in my love life. They will accept whoever I choose. The reason mommy and others seems like they love Gary is just because he’s the only guy that they saw being close to me, aside from my manager, and that is only thru Running Man. If they know that I choose you, they will be happy and give blessing as well. Please don’t think otherwise.”

Jong Kook hesitate to look at Ji-hyo.

“Oppa, please hug me.”

“Now? But someone may come in..”

“I don’t care. I just want to be in your arms right now. Pleaseee…”

Jong Kook hug Ji-hyo tightly, letting out all the pain and doubtful all at once.

“Oppa, please trust our love. I can never love anyone else, when I have you. You make me feels I’m perfect. You complete me.”

“N-ne. I’m sorry, love. I just…..maybe I’m missing you too much, and my brain got all mixed up when little things happened.”

“I love you, no doubt, okay?” Ji-hyo then gamble to kiss Jong Kook’s lips. It always works to ease his frustration. They broke their kiss when they heard Ji-eun voice just outside the room.

 

When Ji-eun open the door, Ji-hyo and Jong Kook pretend like they were just talking. Ji-eun still looking at them suspiciously.

“Why did I sense like someone is smooching??”

Ji-hyo automatically throws a pillow to her sister.

“Yahh!! You should be lucky I don’t have a camera, although I can just use my phone camera. Hahah! Come on, brother in law. Let’s have a chat in the living room. Let the sick one stick to her bed.”

“This little brat…do you think you can just kidnap my boyfriend and have a date?” Ji-hyo acts like she’s angry.

“Hahaha…oppa, you have to explain in detail how you can fall in love with someone fierce and fat like this…..hahahah…” Ji-eun runs to the living room.

Jong Kook can't hold his laugh anymore while Ji-hyo is getting mad at her sister although she's also laughing. "Minchin!!"