Chapter 48

Beautiful Secret

 

Please listen to this song while you're reading this chapter:   

">

 

Jong Kook was allowed to visit Ji-hyo by her family. He walks in slowly and get nearer to the bed. He’s still telling himself the person lying on the bed was not Ji-hyo. With all the tube and wires surrounded her, it makes it really hard to see her real face.

But when Jong Kook is already next to the bed, he suddenly feels weak and fell down on his knees. One of his hands tries to hold the bed to support him. But he was too devastated with the truth lying in front of his eyes. His tears drop on the floor.

Everyone outside the room shared the same feelings with Jong Kook. When Ji-eun tries to walk in to comfort Jong Kook, Jae-suk stops her.

“Leave him alone…He need time to accept the truth….”

Everyone is back in silent.

In the I.C.U., Jong Kook gathers his strength to get up. He touches Ji-hyo’s hand weakly.

“You lied…..You said you’ll be waiting for me …You promised not to hurt yourself……..Ji-hyo ah…..” Jong Kook can’t continue his words. He’s choking in tears.

When he’s calm, he continues his words. “Ji-hyo ah….You’re my ace. You have to be strong. You need to wake up. I can’t leave without you…….please, babe……Don’t leave me alone……I do not have a clue how I will be able to pull through this, or where I will get the strength to make it through the empty days and lonely nights. Even though it is so hard to be away from you, I am holding to the promise you left.”

Jong Kook breaks down again.

“Ji-hyo ah…please….wake up….I’m feeling empty inside me….I miss you so much…. Please, please, please…come back to me, I am so lonely. I just want you to know that I will be here ... waiting for you. I am here for you, loving you unconditionally, praying for you undeniably.  Everyone is waiting for your return. Please babe. Be strong and come back to us. I love you so much, babe.”

Jong Kook pause a second.

“It’s okay…I’ll let you rest for today k. But you have to wake up as soon as possible. I’ll be waiting for you……I love you….so much….I love you….no matter what……” Jong Kook kisses Ji-hyo’s fingers. “Goodbye!” Jong Kook whispers. Then he walks out of the room. 

 

He walks to Chang Joo for an explanation of the incident. The moment he heard it involved his dad, he couldn’t control his frustration. He kicks, he punches, and he even hit his head to the wall before sliding down to the floor. He had both his hand pulling his hair, not believing of what he heard.

Jae-suk and Haha bravely get near Jong Kook to calm him.

“Jong Kook ah…you need to be calm..…for Ji-hyo…” Jae-suk talks softly.

“Hyung….Ji-hyo wouldn’t want to see you like this…If you want her to be strong, you should be strong too,” Haha added.

Then Ji-hyo’s dad comes nearer.

“Jong Kook ah…you should go back first, and have a rest…We will inform you of Ji-hyo’s condition..”

“No! I’m not gonna leave…”

Ji-eun understands of Jong Kook’s situation.

“Appa, we should go home first. Umma is very weak. Let Jong Kook oppa take care of the situation here with Chang Joo oppa and others.”

At first Ji-eun’s mother refused. But after being convinced, she finally agrees. Ji-eun said a few word before she left.

“Oppa, be strong….We’re counting on you…..”

After her family visited Ji-hyo, they walk out to leave the hospital.

Jong Kook is already sitting on the sofa nearby.

“I’m gonna grab a coffee for me and something for you to eat, Jong Kook ah.” Jae-suk broke the silence.

“Hyung, I’ll come with you.” Haha added.

Gap Jin also follows Jae-suk and Haha, leaving only Chang Joo and Jong Kook around.

“Jong Kook ah…I’m sorry…”

“Don’t be! It’s not your fault…”

“I…I shouldn’t let her get involved….I……”

“Hyung, cut it out….Just pray for Ji-hyo.”

“Of course….Anyway, these are her belongings…I think you’re the right person to keep it…”

Chang Joo handed a paper bag with Ji-hyo’s belonging. When Jong Kook look inside, he take out Ji-hyo’s mobile and saw at the screen a picture of him and Ji-hyo during their proposal moments. He kisses the screen and put it back in the paper bag. Then he takes out a smaller plastic bag and find the proposal ring that he had given Ji-hyo. All the memories of that day came back.

“Jagiya, I’m not letting you go. I promise I won’t give up on us.”

Jong Kook recalls the memory of Ji-hyo’s words on that day. He kisses the ring long enough to make the pain inside him feeling stronger again when he imagine Ji-hyo’s finger wearing it and the happiness on Ji-hyo’s face on that day. His tears drops again.

 

When he heard steps, he and Chang Joo look at the entrance door. He saw his mother walking to him with a sad face. He quickly runs to his mother and hug her tight.

“My handsome son…be strong…Ji-hyo need your fighting spirit for her to fight..You can’t break down, Jong Kook ah.”

“Umma….this is really hard….I misses her so much….”

“I know, Jong Kook ah. But my son is strong enough to face all this. I believe in you…..Ji-hyo also believe in you….”

“I don’t know how long I can deal with this….” Jong Kook cries on her mother’s shoulder.

“You can, Jong Kook. Coz you will marry her one day…”

When Jong Kook heard another steps behind his mother, Jong Kook look up to find his dad walk in. He can feel his anger is boiling up.

“Jong Kook ah…..don’t make a scene…Appa is very sorry with what happened…” Jong Kook’s mother trying to coax him.

Jong Kook releases her mother and walk slowly to his father.

“Only God knows what I felt inside me right now.” Jong Kook said to his father, shivering, since he’s controlling his anger. “But Ji-hyo made me promise her…..not to be mad at you…to always forgive you, and be respectful to you all the time…This came from a girl….that you hate…that you asked to leave me….”

“Jong Kook ah….mianhae….”

“I wanted to marry Ji-hyo so bad….even without your blessing, appa. But she wants to wait until you accepted her. She’s willing to do anything to make you like her, accept her. If this is the price she needs to pay, only to make you accept her, I’d rather switch place with her. She did say without your blessing, we will always face problems in our relationship. And I can see that now…..”

Jong Kook suddenly kneels down to his father, making everyone around surprise.

“Owh, Jong Kook ah…what are you doing?” Jong Kook’s dad asks him.

Jong Kook kneels with his head down.

“Appa….please give us your blessing…I don’t want anything to happen to Ji-hyo anymore….I’m begging you….please…I couldn’t bear to see her in pain anymore….” Jong Kook cries.

“Yah Jong Kook ah….get up…” His dad brings him up. “Jong Kook ah…I’m sorry for everything….I’m sorry this happened because of me….Ji-hyo is a good girl…I’m sorry I’ve been blind all this while…I’m sorry…..It was all because of my friends. They keep on talking bad things about Ji-hyo. I thought, pride and good name is the most important thing. But it turns out, my friend whom I respect all this while, whom I always been proud of his name and pride, did this to Ji-hyo. I’m so sorry…..”

“I really hope, your sorry will save her, appa…..”

“Jong Kook ah…I already make a police report…and they’ve caught the person who stabbed Ji-hyo…I hope he will get his punishment for this…”

“He better…or else I will punish him…and it won’t be a good one…..”

Jong Kook’s dad quiet for a minute before continues. “Jong Kook ah….can I see her? I want to apologize to her…and let her know, that I can’t wait to greet her as my daughter in law.”

Jong Kook nodded, giving permission although at first he didn’t want his dad to be near Ji-hyo. But he walks along with his dad.

“Ji-hyo ah…thank you very much….for saving my life…I’m sorry, I’ve hurt you with all my words all this time…I know I’m wrong about you…I am so sorry….Ji-hyo ah….please wake up soon…I can’t wait to welcome you as a daughter in our family….and I want to hear you call me ‘abeonim’….We’re gonna have a grand wedding for you and Jong Kook…Please wake up soon, Ji-hyo ah…We’re all waiting for you…I’m sorry again…..”

After few minutes, Jong Kook’s dad walks out of the room. His mom taking turns to visit Ji-hyo but only for few minutes. After that, they both leave the hospital.

 

The next day, Chang Joo had prepared a press conference at the hospital. Jong Kook had been ask to attend together.

“Annyeonghaseyo! Sadly we were all been shocked by the news of Song Ji-hyo yesterday. She had been stabbed in her lung and had to undergo a major operation. Her condition is critical and she is in coma. I know everyone had been wondering of Ji-hyo’s condition since yesterday. And I know many would like to visit her. But since she’s still in the I.C.U., only families and close friends were allowed to enter the ward. I’m so sorry. I hope you’ll understand. We will keep you updated from time to time. Thank you for your concern.”

Chang Joo passed the mic to Jong Kook who’s wearing a ray-ban covering his soggy eyes.

“Annyeonghaseyo! I wanna apologize to my fans in Asia for the cancellation of the fans meeting session. I hope everyone will understand that this is a hard time for me and everyone here. When we heard the news about Ji-hyo’s critical condition, we just drop everything we do and rushed to the hospital. And her condition……is really bad……….” Jong Kook pause for a while when he started choking with his tears. Then he continues, “I don’t hope more from anyone else except….Please pray for Ji-hyo’s speedy recovery…Please…..And I appreciate for all your prayers…Thank you…”

After that, Jong Kook quickly stands up and walk away from the press, escorted by tight security. He cannot handle his emotions anymore, and he doesn’t want it to be published. That’s why he quickly makes a move to the I.C.U.

 

When he reaches the floor, Ji-eun had been sleeping on the sofa. He walks slowly, afraid he would wake her. He enters Ji-hyo’s room. But Ji-hyo didn’t make any progress, still like yesterday, lying helplessly.

Jong Kook kisses her forehead.

“Hey love….you’ve been sleeping all the time…wake up will you? Your face started to show all the wrinkles…..You know what? Ji-eun is sleeping outside…but she doesn’t look as pretty as you..She looks tired. Maybe she didn’t sleep the whole night thinking about you….I’m tired too, Ji-hyo ah…Please….come back to me…I wanna hold you and keep you safe…Please….”

Jong Kook didn’t realize when he fell asleep next to Ji-hyo’s bed. He only knew when one of the nurses wake him up. He walks outside and find Ji-eun already wakes up.

“Hey….” Jong Kook gives Ji-eun a smile.

“Anneyoung, oppa…you look tired….”

“Hurm…I’ll get used to it….”

“You should go back and rest. I can wait here while you go back.”

“It’s okay……I’m scared….”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m scared….if I close my eyes….I’m gonna see Ji-hyo somewhere I don’t want her to be…I’m scared, if I leave the hospital, I’m gonna receive a call telling bad news…right now, I’m so scared, Ji-eun ah…”

Ji-eun turns to look at Jong Kook.

“Oppa, don’t think negatively. You are always bright, strong and positive minded. Please, oppa. You can’t break down now. Everyone needs you. Unnie need you. I’m sure she can feel your spirit and therefore you need to be strong.”

“I don’t know, Ji-eun…..I…”

“Oppa, you’re so weak. You didn’t sleep all night and you didn’t eat right? Let me go get something for you.”

“No! It’s okay!”

“Oppa, you can’t get sick. Unnie will be weak if she knows your condition. Just wait here. I will get something for you.”

“No, it’s okay. You stay, I’ll go. I need some fresh air too.”

“Okay! I’ll wait here for you.”

Jong Kook left heading to the cafeteria. He feels really tired and has no energy to recharge.

 

After buying some food for him and Ji-eun, he walk back to the I.C.U. As he opens the door to the corridor, he saw many people gathers around the doctor. There were Ji-hyo’s family, Chang Joo, Haha, Gary, Kwang Soo, Suk Jin, Jae-suk and even PD Jay. Everyone look hopeless. Jong Kook walk faster, afraid something is wrong with Ji-hyo.

“Ji-hyo had not shown any progress. And I’m afraid to tell you, she’s getting weaker. Her pulse, her heart is beating slower. I really want everyone to think positive. But I also want everyone to be ready for any unexpected consequences. Let us all pray hard and hoping for some miracles.”

Jong Kook drop his things making everyone look at him. But he just turns around and leaves. He don’t know what to think, he don’t know what to expect. He just know he need to be away. He’s really afraid. He doesn’t realize that he finally reach on top of the hospital building. He walks back and forth with hands behind his head.

“Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Waeeeeeeeee!!!!!” He screams as loud as he can. Then he starts kicking around with his tears flow rapidly.

“Jong Kook ah….” Jae-suk calls him.

But he cannot control his feelings right now and he ignores whoever or whatever came to him. Jong Kook, Haha and Gary get closer slowly.

“Hyung….calm down hyung…..”

Jong Kook fell on his knees and stares to the ground.

“She will be okay right?”

“Jong Kook ah….”

“She will be okay right, hyung? I believe in her. She promised she won’t leave me, Dong Hoon ah. She promised she will marry me……No! She won’t just give up. I believe in her…”

“Hyung, calm down hyung….” Gary tries to calm Jong Kook.

“Gary ah….She loves me right? She never lie about it right?”

“Yeah, hyung. She loves you so much, just like you do. But you have to be calm, you have to be strong. She can feel it when you’re strong and she will fight for it.”

“Yes….I will be strong…for her…I know she will never leave me…She can never leave me…”

“Yes, Jong Kook ah. Let’s go down now. Let’s be around Ji-hyo and talk to her. I’m sure she can hear us.”

Jong Kook agrees and follow them going down. He tries to speak to himself the whole time that everything is gonna be alright.

 

When he reaches down, he tries to smile to everyone outside the room but it turns out a bitter smile.

“Everyone has seen Ji-hyo?” Jong Kook asks when he passed thru them.

“Yes! Jong Kook ah….are you okay?” PD Jay asks him.

“Yeah! I am okay….I have to be okay right? For Ji-hyo….” He continues walking to the room.

Then Ji-hyo father’s stop him, holding one of his shoulder.

“Jong Kook ah……let’s leave it to God….”

Jong Kook didn’t say anything back. He smiles and walks into the room. He sit next to Ji-hyo on the bed.

“Hey you…the doctor had said something creepy about you. But I know he’s just teasing us right? I know you’re there…you’re on the way to see us…hurry up, babe. Ji-eun had been seducing me the whole time. Even the female doctors and nurses here were seducing me too. You need to wake up, babe….If you don’t wake up, I’m gonna shave my head since no one will be pulling my hair like you do…..If you don’t wake up, I’m gonna lie on your bed and make your house dirty…If you don’t wake up, I’m gonna bring Ji-eun to Maldives……..but still, you have to wake up even if you don’t care of all that I said, babe………....coz if you don’t wake up, I will follow you soon…….” Jong Kook closes his eyes, holding Ji-hyo’s hand tightly, controlling his tears from dropping. And then he remembers the ring in his pockets. He take it out and show it to Ji-hyo.

“Ji-hyo ah……remember this ring? This is your promise ring….You promised, you won’t give up on us…….Then why are you still lying helplessly here? You need to wake up, babe. Ji-eun said, she wanna sell this ring coz it doesn’t fit your fingers anymore….You are shrinking…..So, if you want this ring so bad, you need to wake up, okay?”

When there is no response from Ji-hyo, Jong Kook’s smile faded. Jong Kook lay his head on Ji-hyo’s and his hand. But then he feels something moving and touching his hand. He looks up to Ji-hyo and saw Ji-hyo scratching his hand with her long nails, weakly. He looks to Ji-hyo unbelievably.

“Oh my God! Babe,….babe, do you hear me?? Oh my God!” Jong Kook press the bell on Ji-hyo’s bed and call for the doctor. He cannot express how happy he is right now. He look again to Ji-hyo and most of her fingers are moving now.

When the doctors enter, Jong Kook had been ask to stay out of the room. Jong Kook went out and informs everyone outside of Ji-hyo’s response and show the mark that Ji-hyo made on his hand. Everybody look excited and happy especially Ji-hyo’s family.

After the doctor finished checking on Ji-hyo, he walks out to report to her family.

“Well, like I said, we need to depend on miracles. And miracles happened to Ji-hyo. She’s now out of the critical condition and the recovery will be slow and may take times. But, as long as she’s out of danger, we should all be happy isn’t it? I will come and check again on her later on. You all can meet her, but not too many at once. She need lots of rest.”

After the doctor left, Ji-hyo’s parents enter the room first.

“Seong-im ah……” Ji-hyo’s mother crying calling her name while holding her hand.

“Umm……….ma……..Don’t……….cry…….” Ji-hyo speak without voice.

“Seong-im ah…..How can I not cry…You don’t know how serious your condition is…”

“Ji-hyo ah…Are you feeling okay? Did you still feel the pain?” Her dad asks.

“I’m….fine….It’s painful…..but….I’m fine……”

“Ji-hyo ah…you make us all crazy….We don’t know what to expect looking at your condition…….”

“Umma……appa….mianhae…..for……making you…worried……”

“Sssyhhh….Don’t be sorry…You have a very good heart, Seong-im ah….”

Ji-hyo just smile.

 

Later on, one by one came to see and speak to Ji-hyo, leaving Jong Kook the last person to see her.

“……..Hey………” Ji-hyo force her husky voice to come out.

Jong Kook didn’t say a word and just smile. He then kisses Ji-hyo’s forehead, cheeks and lips softly. Then he starts to hold Ji-hyo’s hand, kissing it hard.

“……Opppaaaa……..”

“Yes, love…….you scared me…”

Ji-hyo gives him a sweet smile.

“Mianhae….oppa…..”

“Sssyhhh……” Jong Kook rub Ji-hyo’s cheek with his thumb. At first he smiles, but then it’s faded.

“Owh……..opp...paaaa……are….you……okay??”

“………………..No……………….” Jong Kook’s tears drops.

As much as Jong Kook feels happy with Ji-hyo’s awakeness from coma, he is sad thinking he almost lost her.