Chapter 43

Beautiful Secret

 

After few hours spending time at Ji-hyo’s house, Ji-eun finally make a move.

“Okay, I’m leaving. I don’t wanna get involved in any baby making…hehe..”

“Yahh!! You crazy girl!! Just leave!!”

“Omo! You are really impatient, unnie…haha! Okay, good night to both of you. Oppa, don’t be rough…kekeke…”

“Ahahah!! We’ll see…” Jong Kook answered.

“Yah you two!! Stop it or this mug will land on your face..”

“Aihh! No sense of humour. Okay, bye!”

Ji-eun leave the house.

 

When Jong Kook approach Ji-hyo, Ji-hyo is still busy clearing the tv room.

“Love, let’s go to bed..”

“You go first, jagiya. I’ll join you after this, k..”

“Okay..don’t be too long..I’ll miss you…”

“Chih! Cheesy boy..”

 

Jong Kook enters the bedroom and lays himself on the bed. When Ji-eun showed up at the house kind of help him forget the hurtful things about his father. But when he’s alone in the room, he cannot stop thinking about it again.

Ji-hyo enter the bedroom slowly, afraid that Jong Kook maybe sleeping and she doesn’t want to wake him up. When she is sure he’s not sleeping, she lie closer and hug him from behind. Jong Kook smile without turning to Ji-hyo and place his hand on top of Ji-hyo’s.

“Jagiya….why weren’t you sleeping yet?”

“Hmm….I can’t sleep without you..”

“Aigoo…should I sing for you?”

“Will you?” Jong Kook said while rubbing Ji-hyo’s hand.

“Better not. I’m afraid you won’t be able to sleep at all…hehe….”

Jong Kook turns his back to face Ji-hyo. One of his hand start playing with Ji-hyo’s hair that’s covering part of her face.

“Jagiya…are you okay?”

“….Being with you, how can I not be okay? Why did you ask?”

Ji-hyo place her hand near Jong Kook’s face and play her thumb on his cheek.

“Jagiya….I know something is bothering you…and I know it’s something related to me…”

“What are you…”

“Ssyhhh!! If it’s because of how your dad treated me today, I wanna tell you that I’m fine. I understand why he acts like that.”

Jong Kook sigh. “I’m sorry you have to face that….”

“It’s okay. Like I said, I understand if he can’t accept me. But I’m not gonna back off. I’ll wait patiently till he accepts me. And I want you to do the same…”

“Ji-hyo ah….” Jong Kook whispers.

“Promise me, you will take this slowly until your father accepts me. Promise me, you’ll never burst out to him or do something stupid just to defend me. And promise me, you will not let this affect your daily life…”

“But how can I just keep quiet if he said anything bad about you…”

“Jagiya, you will make things harder for me if you try to fight with him. He will hate me more, don’t you think? I’m fine, as long as you are with me.”

Jong Kook suddenly smiles. “When did you grow up? I do not expect something like this from you. I thought you’re gonna be sulking the whole day with the way my dad treated you. But no, you’re much stronger and patient than me.”

“That’s because I don’t wanna lose you anymore. And I love you so much. If I want to be part of your family, then I’ll have to make sure everyone in your family accepted me. And that need lots of patience.”

Jong Kook kisses at the tip of Ji-hyo’s nose.

“Jagiya you have not promise yet…”

“I promise, baby……”

“What baby? I’m not a baby….”

“Well, you are my baby…that I care so much…”

“Well I’m cute, that’s for sure…hehe…”

“I promise, I will love you more each day…I promise, I will protect you from whoever…and whatever. I promise, I’ll never let you go..”

Ji-hyo smiles then start yawning.

“You really have to spoil my romantic mood isn’t it?”

“Ahahaha…jagiya, it’s something that I can’t control...It is an exhausting day after all..”

“Huh, such a baby…Fine, let’s go to sleep. I don’t wanna all your energy till you can’t wake up tomorrow.”

“Hehehe…thank you, jagiya…I love you..mmmuahhh…”

Ji-hyo kisses all over Jong Kook’s face before finally kisses his lips. When she feels Jong Kook won’t break the kiss, she bite his lips making him back off.

“That’s my goodnight gift. Tata!” Ji-hyo gives her last word.

Then she turns around leaving Jong Kook speechless. But Jong Kook just smile and hug Ji-hyo tightly before they both fall asleep.

 

It was dark in the room when Jong Kook suddenly wakes up. It’s raining heavily outside with thunderstorm and lightning. Jong Kook moves his hand on the bed to find Ji-hyo but couldn’t find her closer. He grabs his mobile and check the time. It was three in the morning. He gets off the bed and walk to the bathroom but still no sign of Ji-hyo. He starts calling her name.

He walks into the tv room and check another rooms as well but Ji-hyo is still nowhere to be found. He starts to panic until he heard the sound of water from the tap in the kitchen. He walks faster and glad to see Ji-hyo near the sink.

He gets closer and hugs Ji-hyo from behind.

“Omo! Jagiya, you almost make me faint….”

“You scared me as well….”

Ji-hyo turns around to face Jong Kook.

“Owh....You’re sweating…what’s wrong, jagiya?”

“Nothing…I just, had this bad dream…And when I wake up and you’re not around, it makes me panic. I thought, you left..”

Jong Kook nuzzles his face on Ji-hyo’s neck.  

“Oh dear….I’m sorry if I make you worry…I wake up and feel thirsty, so I get a glass of water. I’m sorry, jagiya. But never think that I will leave you. I’ve promised, right?” Ji-hyo said while rubbing Jong Kook’s back.

“I know…but, because of that dream…”

“A dream will only be a dream, that’s what you said to me before remember? Maybe you’re thinking too much about your dad…that it affected your dream as well…Please let it go, jagiya..Let’s enjoy our life happy as always..”

Ji-hyo continue to rub Jong Kook’s back to soothe him.

“Okay…I’ll try….promise again you’ll never leave me…” Jong Kook requested from Ji-hyo.

“I promise I’ll never leave you. I’m sorry, love. Let’s go back to sleep, k.”

“Hurmm…”

Ji-hyo kisses Jong Kook’s forehead before they walk together into the bedroom.

 

The next day, they both leave the house early. Ji-hyo has script reading to attend while Jong Kook needs to go to the gym. When Jong Kook is at the gym, he cannot focus totally on his exercise. His mind keeps on wandering about what his father said. How can someone as important as his father wished that his wedding wouldn’t happen. That really hurt his feelings.

Since he did not focus on his exercise, he unluckily injured his ankle. At first they thought it’s a simple injury. But when he cannot move his feet at all, those in the gym help to send him to the hospital. Gap Jin rush to the hospital when he received the call.

“How are you doing?” Gap Jin asks Jong Kook the moment he saw him.

“I’m okay.”

“Aissh…you’re always answering that even though you’re half dead. Excuse me, doctor. How bad is his condition?”

“He did not break his ankle, so that should be good news. However, the sprained is pretty bad. So he’s not allowed to move his ankle for two weeks, and that’s if he wants to be fit again.”

“But I have Running Man shooting tomorrow,” Jong Kook said.

“Well you’re gonna have to pass that. I’m telling you, it’s pretty bad inside there. But you’re slightly lucky you didn’t break it.”

“N-neh! Thank you, doctor. He will listen to your advice. Gaja, hyung!” Gap Jin push Jong Kook on a wheelchair out of the doctor’s room.

When he’s out of the room, many fans approach him and get worried about his condition. He tries to answer as good as possible while his mind worried about Ji-hyo if she finds out.

In the car, Jong Kook asks Gap Jin to keep it out from Ji-hyo.

“Are you crazy? Your fans must have tweeted your condition in the twitter already. Besides, she’s your fiancé. She needs to know everything.”   

“I didn’t mean to keep it a secret. I just don’t want her to be worried. She already has many things to get worried.”

“But there’s no way she wouldn’t find out about this. We need to inform PD Jay that you will miss out the shooting. And PD Jay will have to inform all the members about it. So you have no choice,” Gap Jin explains.

Jong Kook pouted listening to Gap Jin babbling.

 

A few minutes after he arrives at his house, Ji-hyo appears in worry with her manager.

“Oppa, what happen to you?” Ji-hyo runs to Jong Kook and hug him tightly. She almost has forgotten that Gap Jin and Baek Chang Joo are standing there as well.

“Er…..I’m fine, Ji-hyo ah…Don’t worry..”

“How can I not worry….I only knew about this thru twitter…” Ji-hyo pinch Jong Kook’s tummy, “How come you didn’t call me and tell me about this? Are you trying to hide it from me?”

“Ouchh!! I’m sorry. It happens really fast. I didn’t get the chance to call you. And besides, I don’t want to disturb your schedule.”

“Jong Kook ah…She’s almost crying when she knew about this. You should have called her no matter what,” Baek Chang Joo said.

“N-neh! I’m sorry. I will not keep it from you anymore.”

“Oppa, how did you get injured? And at the gym? That’s like your second home, second wife. It’s impossible that you could get hurt in such place.”

Jong Kook takes a seat on the couch while Gap Jin and Baek Chang Joo went to the kitchen. Ji-hyo then take place next to Jong Kook.

“So, what happen? You were all good before you left this morning,” Ji-hyo asks, curious to know.

“Erm…I…I mishandle the equipment in the gym..”

“Doesn’t sound like you…Let me guess…You were out of focus, your mind was everywhere…Right?”

Jong Kook just smiles, but didn’t dare to look at Ji-hyo.

“Is it because of your father? Is it because of what he said about me?”

Jong Kook did not answer.

“Oppa…we’ve talked about this…you’ve promised…” Ji-hyo cooed softly to Jong Kook.

“I know..but it’s not easy..I’m too frustrated about it…”

“Oppa…but when something like this happened to you, then I’ll get more frustrated. Not only that, I’m sure your fans will be worried as well..”

“Okay…I’m sorry….”

“Promise me…again…”

“I promise………….I will always love you…hehe….”

“Hahah! Very funny! Seriously promise, ppaleun!” Ji-hyo shows her little finger, asking Jong Kook to promise.

Jong Kook clicks his little finger with Ji-hyo as a sign of promise.

 

When Gap Jin and Baek Chang Joo join them in the living room, Gap Jin started the conversation about the Running Man shooting.

“I’ll have to inform PD Jay about your condition.”

“A-ni! I will be there,” Jong Kook insist.

“Oppa, you can’t even walk. What do you have in mind?” Ji-hyo curious to know Jong Kook’s intention.

“Jong Kook ah…it’s better if you rest here..before it’s getting worse..” Baek Chang Joo added.

“But…I don’t wanna upset my fans…They will be expecting me in Macau…”

“They will understand your condition! Do you think they love to see you hurt like this? After somebody tweeted your picture at the hospital, everyone is praying that you’ll get better soon. They don’t wanna see you getting worse, oppa..” Ji-hyo explains briefly.

Jong Kook couldn’t say anything anymore.

“Please, oppa. Please listen to the doctor’s advice.”

“Ji-hyo ah..Doctor asks me to rest for two weeks. How can I skip the shooting for two weeks? That’s like about four episodes. I can’t be missing that long. It’s unfair for the fans.”

“Okay…but at least you have to skip for tomorrow. Please….” Ji-hyo begs for mercy.

Jong Kook lean his head on the couch. Gap Jin call PD Jay and inform about Jong Kook’s condition. PD Jay allows Jong Kook to rest until he’s fully fit.

“Ji-hyo ah..Let’s go home..You have early flight to catch tomorrow…” Chang Joo informed.

“Erm…I wanna stay…” Ji-hyo answered.

“What?”

“I mean, I wanna go to the airport from here. I want to stay here tonight.”

“Ji-hyo ah…you don’t have to do that..I’ll be fine…Gap Jin will help me..”

“A-ni! You’re too stubborn. I know in the end you’ll do everything on your own..”

“But Ji-hyo ah…”

“Aishh syhhhh!! Chang Joo oppa, can you send me home to get my things, then send me back here?”

“Ji-hyo ah, you really don’t have to do this.” Jong Kook tries to stop Ji-hyo.

“Sorry…I’m gonna have to do my own thing today…I’ll be back, okay…Don’t miss me…”

Ji-hyo walks out with her manager to get her stuffs for her flight to Macau tomorrow.

 

Later that night, when they were about to sleep,..

“Jagiya, are you angry with me?”

“Of course not. I know you have a good heart, yeobo. I understand you’re worried.”

“Thank you for your understanding. If it’s possible, I wanna cancel my flight tomorrow. I can’t focus on anything when you’re like this.”

“Okay, it was my mistake from the beginning okay. I’m sorry. But don’t trouble yourself because of me. I promise I’ll take a good care of myself.”

“I’m glad to hear that.”

“Go to sleep. You need to wake up early.”

“N-neh! I love you, jagiya.”

“I love you too.”

 

The next day, all the Running Man cast except Jong Kook together with the production team fly to Macau. Ji-hyo has been partnered with Gary, Jae-suk with Haha, while Suk Jin with Kwang Soo. When they reach the Fisherman’s Wharf, they need to find their special agent. Ji-hyo and Gary found Lee Dong Wook who later join their team and Jae-suk and Haha found Han Hye Jin. Suk Jin and Kwang Soo were the only two who doesn’t have extra members.

They then proceed to Macau Tower where they need to do the climbing, sky walking and bungee jumping. Ji-hyo at her first chooses to do the climbing, but then change to bungee jumping together with Dong Wook and Hye Jin. Gary, Haha and Suk Jin do the sky walking while Jae-suk and Kwang Soo go for climbing.

The moment Jong Kook knew that Dong Wook is the guest for the episode in Macau, plus he is in the same team as Ji-hyo and Gary, also they both did bungee jumping, Jong Kook can’t stay still in Korea. He asks Gap Jin to contact the production team and insist on joining them no matter what.

After getting approval with condition from the doctor, the production team allows Jong Kook to join them. Jong Kook and Gap Jin take a flight to Hong Kong before being transferred to Macau by a helicopter. To Jong Kook’s surprise, many fans actually greeted him in Hong Kong and Macau Airport. He doesn’t know how they got infos of his arrival. But he’s delighted to be welcomed by such fans although he’s been separated from other members.

When he arrived in Senado, he will have to meet Suk Jin and Kwang Soo first whom he will join as a team later on. Both of them were so happy and surprise to found Jong Kook in Macau as they have no idea at all that Jong Kook will be joining them, as well as other members.

After Jong Kook change his clothes, they walk together to St Paul Cathedral to meet other teams. Everyone is surprise especially Ji-hyo. But she pretends like it’s not a big deal and keeps on smiling as always.

Although Jong Kook’s appearance may help Suk Jin and Kwang Soo, but it’s not enough to win the game triangle tug of war with Jong Kook’s leg injury. After the game, all of them headed to their hotel and try to sleep early since they need to leave for the airport by seven tomorrow morning.   

But Jong Kook had personally requested from PD Jay to be allocated in the next room to Ji-hyo with connecting door in between. Jong Kook already explains why he needs to be next to Ji-hyo and PD Jay totally understands. Ji-hyo had been avoiding Jong Kook the moment he arrived in Macau. She’s upset that Jong Kook ignored her advice to rest at home and insists to join the shooting. Therefore she doesn’t feel like she has anything to talk to Jong Kook since he had not listened to her earlier.

With the help of Haha, he knocks the connecting door to Ji-hyo’s room.

“Ji-hyo ah…I’m in the next room of you..”

“Who is it?”

“It’s me, Dong Hoon. Can you open the door?”

“Owh…Dong Hoon oppa…We need to sleep early. What do you want?”

“Aih…just open the door. I need to give something to you. It’s from your fiancé.”

“Just go thru the front door.”

“If I go thru the front door, they will record it. They have installed many cameras outside. Please open this door.”

“Ahh oppa…I’m already in my sleeping shirt…just give me tomorrow..”

“Aih Ji-hyo ah…I don’t want to keep this big gift in my room. You better take it now…”

Without suspecting anything, Ji-hyo opens the door. There stands Kim Jong Kook, with a bouquet of flowers smiling at her.

“I’m going to sleep now….” Ji-hyo tries to close the door.

But Jong Kook stops her.

“Babe, please….I’m sorry…”

“Yah Ji-hyo ah…hopefully everything will be settled before tomorrow ah. This is gonna be a long run. It won’t be nice if the two of you are not working well with each other. So I leave it to both of you ah. Good night!” Haha excuse himself.

“Dong Hoon ah…thank you!”

“No problem!”

After Haha left, Jong Kook make a pleasing face to Ji-hyo and apologize. Ji-hyo just turn around but leaving the connecting door opens.