Chapter 11

Beautiful Secret

 

Ji-hyo’s schedule is really tight starting from the moment she sign the new 32 episodes drama Gyebaek. She need to slip in shooting for Running Man in between the schedule. Also she still need to do some magazine photo shoot and interviews at the same time. At times she feels breathless. With Jong Kook being busy with his album recording, meaning Ji-hyo has a limited time to be with her boyfriend. They can’t openly spend time during shooting, and after shooting, Jong Kook need to rush for his recording. Their connection mostly depends on sms.

Since the busy schedule, they haven’t even notice time flies really fast. It has been almost four months that they focused on their career. They also survived keeping their relationship from public. Well, it shouldn’t be that hard since they are busy with their work.

 

Things turn up bad after the Running Man team came back from China. Ji-hyo continues with her shoots for drama until she was hospitalized due to allergies and overwork. Her manager, Baek Chang Joo try to inform Jong Kook but was prevented by Ji-hyo.

“Oppa, don’t let him know…I’m fine, I just need to rest…” Ji-hyo tell her manager, sleepily.

“But Ji-hyo, he will be angry with me if I didn’t let him know about this.”

“It’s okay, oppa..I will answer to him if anything happen. I just don’t want him to worry over a small matter.”

“Small matter? It’s about your health. Of course everyone is worried. We shouldn’t accept this back to back job in the first place.”

Ji-hyo smile. She understands the frustration of her manager.

“Oppa, I’m so lucky to be surrounded by many loving people…who loves me a lot, who cares about me a lot..thank you, oppa..I love you…but I assure you I’m just tired, nothing serious to be worried about…” Ji-hyo said in her cute face then goes to sleep.

Chang Joo feels his face turn red when Ji-hyo said “I love you” to him. (No! She loves me just as a manager, just like a brother..she loves Kim Jong Kook more than me..don’t fall for her, Chang Joo…) Chang Joo remind himself.

Watching Ji-hyo sleep tiredly is really painful for Chang Joo. How can he claim he loves that girl and yet he caused her sickness. He’s in charge to deal with her contracts and receive offers for her. He should have known how to arrange her schedule. He feels sorry for Ji-hyo.

When his mobile ring, he’s surprise to see Jong Kook’s name.

“Yoboseyo!” Chang Joo greeted.

“Yoboseyo! Ah hyung, it’s me, Jong Kook. I’m trying to call and text Ji-hyo but couldn’t reach her. Is she around, hyung?”

“She…..she is still shooting..I’ll get her to call you back once she’s done.”

“Owh…okay..thanks, hyung.”

 

When Ji-hyo wakes up that night, Chang Joo pass the message to call back Jong Kook.

“I miss you, boyfriend..” That’s the first sentence from Ji-hyo when her boyfriend answers the call. She pretends she’s energetic as well.

“Owhh?? Someone is in different mood today. How are you, darl?”

“I’m good. How about you, boyfriend? Missing me? Hehe..”

“Is there any day that I haven’t missed you? Don’t need to ask that question, I guess. I’m good, babe. Good in health, and good in attitude.”

“Woh?? Good in attitude? Have you not been good since I’m not around?”

“Ahahaha..I can only feel naughty when you’re around..can I see you, babe?”

“Err…what? Weren’t you supposed to be in the recording studio?”

“That can wait..but I need to see you..do you think I can work if my mind is always with you?”

“Aigoo..pity my boyfriend. Hahaha…I don’t think I can meet you tonight. I’m too exhausted. Let’s meet up some other time, okay?”

“Owh…okay..babe, please make sure you don’t overdo your job..Remember you’re just human, not machine. You need time to rest as well..okay?”

“N-ne, oppa! I will make sure of that..I’ll see you in few days okay?”

“Okay, good night love!”

“Nite, jagiya!”

Just when Ji-hyo hang up, Chang Joo approach her.

“Do you still want to keep it from him?”

“Oppa, I’m going out tomorrow…there’s no point telling him…besides, I am feeling much better after the drip and getting a nap. So let’s not talk about this anymore okay?”

Chang Joo just keep quiet. Ji-hyo continue to sleep.

 

The next day, Ji-hyo insists to go out although the doctor advises her to stay for another day. She’s worried with her schedule and she’s afraid it will affect other people’s schedule as well. Being stubborn, doctor finally releases her but with condition that she need to rest at home, not doing any work.

On their way home, Ji-hyo suddenly feels like she’s hardly breathing.

“Oppa…”

That’s all Ji-hyo said before she faint in Chang Joo’s car. Her manager quickly u-turn the car and get back to the hospital. He carried Ji-hyo to the Emergency Department before the staffs put her on stretcher and into Emergency Room.

Chang Joo directly call Jong Kook. But unfortunately Jong Kook is having a press conference and his mobile was set to voice mail. Chang Joo have no choice but to leave voice message and sms.

“Jong Kook, it’s me Chang Joo. Ji-hyo fainted. Please call back!”

When the doctor came out from the Emergency Room, Chang Joo rush to get the updates on Ji-hyo’s condition.

“At the moment, she needs to use respirator to support her breathing. Further checkups need to be made before we can conclude if there is anything serious in her body. As for now, she’s stable and will be admitted into the ward.”

“Owh, okay..thank you, doctor..”

Just after Ji-hyo being place in the ward, Chang Joo’s mobile ringing.

“Hyung, what happen?” Jong Kook ask in panic.

“She suddenly fainted.”

“Which hospital? I’m coming now.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, JK. Right now a few reporters had arrived. It’ll be better if you come late night. I’ll sms to you which hospital.”

“N-ne…hyung, update me from time to time. Please!”

 

After hang up, Jong Kook’s mind goes blank. He feels angry, frustrated, concern and mixed emotions. He couldn’t relate what just happened to his girlfriend, coz yesterday she sounds fine. And the fact that he need to wait until night before he could see his girlfriend with his own eyes, really makes him impatient.

He calls Yoo Jae Suk to tell the news.

“Hyung, naya!”

“Owh, Kim Jong Kook…surprisingly to receive your call at this hour. I thought you’re busy with your press conference.”

“It’s already finished. Hyung, I need your favor tonight.”

“Oh? You sound serious. What’s up, Jong Kook?”

Jong Kook sigh for a moment. “Hyung….Ji-hyo fainted, and was hospitalized. I want to see her now, but Chang Joo hyung said reporters are already at the hospital. So, impossible for me to be there right now. But can you accompany me tonight? At least with you around, those people in the hospital won’t be too curious.”

“Omo, Ji-hyo fainted? What happened?”

“I don’t know. I don’t really ask from Chang Joo hyung. I was too panicked that I just want to know where she was hospitalized.”

“I see. Okay, let me know the updates and call me when you want to go.”

“N-ne! Hyung, please don’t let others know yet. I don’t want everybody to suddenly ambush the hospital.”

“Okay, understand. I’ll see you tonight.”

 

At night, Jae-suk came to pick up Jong Kook before headed to the hospital. Ji-hyo has been placed in a private room since she needs to rest and to avoid from interference by the press. It was sort of VIP room where it has a living room, dining area and a room for the patient.

As Jong Kook enters the room, he rush to Chang Joo and ask about Ji-hyo.

“How is she?”

“Still sleeping..probably because of the effect of the medicine and oxygen..”

“Can we see her?”

“Yes. But you need to wear the mask and costume, because at the moment she’s sensitive with any kind of dust. And try not to wake her.”

Jae-suk give a hint for Jong Kook to see Ji-hyo alone. He knows Jong Kook have been waiting since afternoon to meet his girlfriend. Jae-suk and Chang Joo just wait in the living room.

As soon as Jong Kook saw Ji-hyo, his leg feels weak. He feels sorry to watch the unhealthy Mong Ji lying on the bed, with the help of the respirator. He kiss her hand slowly and sit next to her bed.

“Hey lioness! Heard that you’ve been sleeping the whole day..what’s up??” No reaction from sleepy Ji-hyo. Jong Kook then continue with his choking voice, “Hmm…I…miss my girlfriend. Can you tell her to get well soon? I missed her too much…that it’s painful to endure.” And suddenly Jong Kook feels his tears running down his cheek. It’s the first time he saw Ji-hyo lying helplessly, which hurt him deep inside.

“Love, get a rest okay. I’ll come back tomorrow. Hopefully you’re awake at that time. I love you, yeobo!” Jong Kook land a kiss on her forehead and wear back his mask.

He joins Jae-suk and Chang Joo in the living room.

“Are you okay?” Jae-suk asked.

Jong Kook simply nodded. Jae-suk than go to see Ji-hyo, living only Chang Joo and Jong Kook alone.

“So, tell me what happened to her.”

Chang Joo is a little bit nervous to explain, since Jong Kook looks like he’s about to explode, although he try to remain calm.

“Sheee….suddenly hard to breath, then collapse in my car.”

“What caused her to collapse? I mean, what is the result from the check-up?”

“We’ll only get the result tomorrow. Doctor said she’s overwork and lost lots of energy plus dehydrated. But so far her condition is stable.”

“Overwork?? Dehydrated? What is this? Then what’s your function beside her?” Jong Kook’s voice becomes loud.

“I’m sorry. I know you’re upset. But believe me; I’ve tried to advise her but…”

Their conversation was interrupted by the doctor and nurse who came to check on Ji-hyo’s condition.

“Owh, Kim Jong Kook…surprisingly to see you here…” said Doctor Jang.

“Ah yes..I just drop by once I get the news.”

Luckily Jae-suk joins him in the living room, to prevent from any curiosity.

“I see. Owh, Yoo Jae Suk. I bet all the Running Man team is like a family yach? Ji-hyo’s lucky to have you all in her life. But hopefully you guys can advise her after this, not to force herself with a hectic schedule. Her body seems like she can’t take it anymore. If she checks out after this, she needs to fully recover before she can do any work.”

“Owh, sure. We’ll make sure she stay at home..until she get married…hehe,” Jae-suk joke around.

“That’s good news then. Did she have anyone already? Gary perhaps? Haha…”

“Aihhhh…everyone wish for Gary…but frankly, only Ji-hyo knows what she’s looking for.” Jae-suk quickly try to divert the story since Jong Kook’s face changed.

“Owh, Chang Joo…I check the record when she was admitted yesterday..the report from Doctor Gail says that she’s allergic to IV fluids. Therefore, please do not let her take it, at least for the time being..until we fully get her results of today’s checkup.”

 

Jong Kook look shocked when he heard that Ji-hyo was admitted yesterday, which he has no idea at all. Right after the doctor left, Jong Kook approach Baek Chang Joo and grab his collar shirt.

“Jong Kook ah..what are you doing?” Jae-suk panic with Jong Kook act.

“What did the doctor means, when he said Ji-hyo was admitted yesterday? What’s all this hyung?!! Jong Kook exploded.

“I…I can explain…” Chang Joo try to release himself.

Jae-suk calmed Jong Kook, and Jong Kook let go of Chang Joo when he come to his sense.

“Yesterday….ermm actually….Ji-hyo was admitted yesterday….due to her allergies and exhaustion. But this morning, she wants to go home, although doctor didn’t allow at first. But since she insists, doctor let her go…she collapse after we left the hospital…”

“So yesterday, when I called, she was already in the hospital? So you both lie to me??!!”

Chang Joo can’t deny it anymore. He nodded slowly, looking down at the floor.

Jong Kook just push Chang Joo as hard as he can.

“Jong Kook ah…calm down…let’s deal with this as a gentleman..” Jae-suk try to calm Kim Jong Kook again.

Jong Kook sit on the sofa and swipe his hand thru his hair, not believing that his girlfriend is sick since yesterday and he have no idea about that.

“Why, hyung? Why didn’t you tell me yesterday? What’s your intention?”

“I’m sorry…Ji-hyo didn’t want you to know…coz she don’t want you to worry..she said it’s just a small matter..”

“Small matter? Then why is she lying in there if it’s just a small matter?” Jong Kook anger burst out.

Jae-suk can only watch both of them. But he understand Jong Kook’s feeling.

“Hyung, why did you treat her like this? How can you let her work till her last energy?? Make her works to feed you?”

“I….can only say….I’m sorry..but please believe me..I’m not using her, for my benefit,” Chang Joo slowly speaks.

Jae-suk interferes. “Jong Kook ah..I’m sure Chang Joo will do the best for Ji-hyo. Right, Chang Joo?”

They are both in silence.

“Jong Kook ah, I have to go first. You’re going back with me?” Jae-suk ask.

“A-ni…I’ll stay for a while. You can leave, hyung. I’ll call Gap Jin to fetch me.”

“Alright then. Can I leave you two in peace? Hah Kim Jong Kook, can you promise to remain calm? Yah, the two of you?”

“Hyung, we’ll be fine…besides, if we spill our blood, the doctors can take care of it.”

“Yah Kim Jong Kook..don’t make such scary statement,” Jae-suk added.

 

Jong Kook walks with Jae-suk until the door.

“Jong Kook ah..you have to be calm, and be patient….for Ji-hyo..Whatever feelings you have right now, just put it aside. Baek Chang Joo has been with Ji-hyo for many years. I don’t think he’s taking advantage of her.”

“N-ne, hyung. Thanks…..I understand. We’ll be fine, don’t worry.”

Jae-suk left. Jong Kook enters the living room and sit next to Baek Chang Joo.

“Hyung, mianhae…” he said, softly.

“It’s okay..I understand…” Chang Joo replied.

“I burst out, coz I depend on you, I trusted you, to take care of Ji-hyo…but when all this happened, I can’t accept it. To watch her lying helplessly, with oxygen mask, it just doesn’t make sense…coz she’s always strong..even in the shoots…”

“Let’s hope for her speedy recovery…I’m sure when she wakes up, you’re the first person she wants to see.”