Chapter 38

Beautiful Secret

 

Ji-eun couldn’t hide her tears when watching Kim Jong Kook cried in Yu Huiyeol’s Sketchbook. She totally understands how devastated he felt with her sister.

“Ji-eun ah…..are you okay? Why are you crying?” Ji-hyo asks when she enters the tv room.

 “Watch this…….” Ji-eun replay the show that she purposely recorded.

Ji-hyo can’t stop her tears the moment she heard the song and saw Kim Jong Kook crying, begging for her. Ji-eun suddenly stands up and look at her sister.

“No matter how much you hurt him……he still begged you to come back to him… no matter how close I stand in front of him….you’re the only one he saw.…Unnie, find the true answer inside you. Stop hurting everyone around you….”

Then Ji-eun walk out of the tv room, leaving Ji-hyo crying alone.

“Mianhae…….….mianhae…….” Ji-hyo said but Ji-eun already left.

 

Ji-eun went to meet Jong Kook at a private restaurant and request Haha to come along.

“Wahh…I’m so nervous when you said it’s emergency, Ji-eun ah….” Haha tells Ji-eun.

“Heheh….sorry, Dong Hoon oppa....but it is an emergency meeting. We’re gonna start our extreme plan to make unnie come back to Jong Kook oppa.”

“What do you mean extreme? You sound scary, girl…” Jong Kook said in worry.

“Aishh oppa…I know what I’m doing…”

“Okay…tell us..”

“Jong Kook oppa, let’s go to the jewelry shop and buy a ring.”

“Mwuh??” Both Jong Kook and Haha look surprise.

“Aishh…calm down boys. Though I would like to squeeze your bank account, but this is not part of the plan. Hehe…..Oppa, we’ll go to the jewelry shop, and Dong Hoon oppa, you make sure unnie saw us inside the shop. Let’s make her think that our relationship is damn serious.”

Both Jong Kook and Haha looking at each other.

“That could work, hyung! With our wedding planning now back on track, Byul could ask Ji-hyo to accompany her to shop for wedding gown or something, and then bring her to the jewelry shop.”

“That is not the problem, Dong Hoon. I’m just afraid other people may get the wrong assumption since they don’t know what’s going on. And if reporters get involve, it’s gonna turn bad.”

“Erm…okay…We’ll go to Byul’s cousin’s jewelry shop. That’s where we’ll buy our wedding ring as well. I’ll discuss with Byul and see how it goes. Maybe we can ask them to make it a secret from others.”

“That sounds good. Let us know the updates then,” Jong Kook instructed.

“I really hope this is it, oppa. If unnie still doesn’t come back to you, I don’t know what else I can do.”

“If this is not it, then I’ll just let her go…..for good….”

“Yeah…like the lyrics in your song…..‘Don’t ever come to me again’…..that song you write for Jung Jae Hyung-ssi is really sad, oppa. I can feel your sadness and cried because of it.”

“But that’s the truth….I’m no longer able to handle my feelings anymore….”

“Yeah I know..”

 

Few days later, after discussing with Byul and gets all plan out, they start their mission. Ji-eun enter the jewelry shop owned by Byul’s cousin and the owner bring her to a private room. This private room is normally for those VVIP’s and for exclusive customers who usually bought million dollars jewelry.

After Ji-eun arrived, Jong Kook joins her few minutes later. They didn’t walk in together to avoid from speculations of those outside the shop. When Haha gets the signal from Jong Kook that they were already in the shop, Haha and Byul brings Ji-hyo to that place.

“Omo! What are we doing here? I thought we’re gonna look for the wedding gown,” Ji-hyo said when they were just outside of the shop.

“We will. But we need to drop by here and give the measurement for our wedding rings.”

“Owh…then I’ll just wait outside. It’s not nice to join you both for something personal like this.”

“Aishhh, unnie…you have to come in..who knows you may want to buy something for your own.”

“Yah Byul ah…are you trying to make me bankrupt? Hahaha…”

“Unnie, women and diamonds can’t be separated. Come on. At least you’re the first one who gets to see our wedding rings.”

“Aih…you’re right…Gaja! Dong Hoon, you’re paying for me.”

“Mwuh???”

All three of them walk into the shop. But Haha and Byul then ask Ji-hyo to go into the private room where Jong Kook and Ji-eun were, with reason they need to get something outside.

When Ji-hyo enters the room, she immediately notices Jong Kook and Ji-eun who’s trying on the ring. She is too shock and speechless at first.

“Oppa, how about this one? It looks lovely…” Ji-eun pretends to act, knowing her sister is listening and watching.

“Anything you like, Ji-eun….”

Ji-hyo can’t stand it anymore and walks to them.

“That looks perfect on you……” Ji-hyo speaks up, a little bit shaky.

“Owh, unnie!” Ji-eun act surprised.

“What is this for? Engagement? Or wedding?” Ji-hyo asks, tears already flowing. “And you said I’m confused? What about you, Kim Jong Kook?”

“Unnie….this…this…”

“How far will you both go on hurting me?”

“Unnie…we never want to hurt you…”

“Yah Ji-hyo ah…..Stop your accusation..” Jong Kook defending their act.

“Accusation? So what is this? For fun??”

“No! You said we’re hurting you, which we never did. What we did is something related to us, doesn’t related to anyone else. And besides, why are you hurt in any way with what we did? Weren’t you the one who wanna go separate ways?”

Ji-hyo couldn’t believe what she heard from someone who used to be in her life.

“So you are serious with my sister? So you already move on?”

“What choice do I have, when you keep on playing with my heart? Ji-eun came and save me from drowning with my own feelings. You are always unsure with what you want. One point you look like you missed me, but another second you just push me away!”

“You should know very well how I felt towards you, oppa. I thought you’re the only person who understands me; understand my decision to break up. I didn’t break up with you coz I don’t love you anymore, but I did that because of our situation, because of my mistake….I thought you will finally understand that…..”

“Well I choose not to understand….you know why? Because that is a selfish decision. You made that decision on your own, without even listening to what I wanna said. In the end, I try to accept it although my heart is torn to pieces.”

“And you think I enjoy all this, oppa? Don’t you think I’m hurt as bad as you were?”

Ji-hyo cries and starts sobbing. Ji-eun is really sympathy with her sister and feels like she wants to hug her, but that could worsen the situation.

Ji-hyo slowly turns away and walks off. She can’t stay any longer. But Jong Kook grabs her wrist, making her look back at Jong Kook.

“The owner of the ring……….that could be you, if you weren’t so stubborn!” Jong Kook said, his voice is also shaky from holding his tears.

Ji-hyo pulls her hand and run out of the shop. She doesn’t care about Haha and Byul anymore. She just need to be alone. This is too painful for her.

Haha and Byul join Jong Kook and Ji-eun in the room. Jong Kook looks too frustrated. He walks back and forth with hands behind his head.

“Hyung, that didn’t went well I assume?” Haha ask Jong Kook.

“What will happen to Ji-hyo unnie? I’m afraid if she does anything stupid,” Byul added.

“Oppa, I better go after her now. Let see what she has to say.”

“N-neh! Please try to make her understand, Ji-eun ah…I can’t handle this anymore….” Jong Kook grieved.

“I’ll try my best….take care, oppa. Thank you Dong Hoon oppa, Byul unnie. Sorry to get you involved.”

“No problem! Anything to get this two love birds together again,” Byul said.

 

When Ji-eun arrived at home, she felt nervous. She hopes that things will get better. But the moment she enter her house, her parents and Ji-hyo is already gathering in the living room. Ji-hyo is crying on her mom’s shoulder.

“Owh, everyone is here? Are we having a family meeting or what?” Ji-eun pretend asking.

But suddenly her father slaps her face, making everyone surprised, especially Ji-eun herself.

“Omo!! Jagiya!!” Ji-eun’s mom shouting.

“Appa! What is this for??” Ji-eun bravely asks her angry father.

“That….is for hurting…your sister…and this family….” her father answered.

“Appa…what do you mean? I will never hurt this family, especially my beloved sister….” Ji-eun cries, still holding her painful cheek and looking at Ji-hyo.

“Oh really? Then look at your sister now. Did she look happy? Who makes her look like that??”

“Appa, why am I responsible when she choose to be unhappy? She made the decision, not me!”

“Ji-eun ah…I’m happy if you already met someone you love, who can take care of you…but why must it be Kim Jong Kook? I know he is a good guy but he’s your sister’s boyfriend!!” Ji-eun’s dad shouted.

“Ex-boyfriend, appa! He’s no longer unnie’s boyfriend!!”

“Ji-eun ah….we all know that your sister still love him…she may have ask for a break up but we all know she didn’t exactly let him go. Why must you get involve between them?”

“So are you saying, it’s okay for unnie to hurt Jong Kook oppa’s feeling, but Jong Kook oppa couldn’t do anything to move on? What is this, unnie?”

“Ji-eun, I don’t mind if he met other women, for my replacement. But why must you? It hurt knowing you’re the one filling the spaces that used to be mine.”

“I cannot believe this! Did you hear yourself, unnie?”

Ji-hyo didn’t answer.

“I did ask you to make up your mind. I did say that if you really want him back, I’m willing to let go. But what is your answer? You are still you…stubborn, selfish…and now you want me to just sit back and let go of Jong Kook oppa, just because you can’t see us together? Is that it??”

“Ji-eun, your sister had gone thru a lot of bad things lately. Please try to understand her feelings.”

“I see…so that’s a permission for her to do whatever she wants, hurt whoever she likes? And I have to cope with that? Then what about my feelings? Should I keep it frozen until unnie move on?”

“Ji-eun ah, are you serious with Kim Jong Kook? Your sister said you both were choosing rings. Are you planning to marry him? You don't even discuss this with us,” Ji-eun’s mother suddenly asks.

Ji-eun didn’t know how to answer that coz everything is just part of the plan.

“Ji-eun ah…I know I made a mistake…I know I hurt Jong Kook oppa…...but this is too much…” Ji-hyo cries out.

Ji-eun feels too much tense. She decided to get into her room before she blows up everything. Before she left, she said to her sister, “……….Tell me……..….if you are breaking up for good…………………………..”

Ji-eun locks herself in her room. This is the first time she feels really sad. She know everything is just a set up but she is so sad seeing her sister still did not admit that she wants Jong Kook back. Ji-eun is doing everything for her, and yet she still doesn’t know what she wants.

When she saw Jong Kook’s name appear on her mobile, she did not answer. She didn’t want Jong Kook to know how devastated she is right now. And when few calls had not been answered, Jong Kook left him text messages.

Jong Kook: Ji-eun ah, is everything okay? Been trying to call you but no answer. Pls call me back or txt me. I’m worried about you and your sister.

That sms actually makes Ji-eun cries harder. He feels sorry for Jong Kook.

 

Ji-hyo washes her wet face to clean all the tears. She know she’s being unfair to Jong Kook and Ji-eun. But she just can’t let him go. She didn’t even know what she wants anymore. Deep inside she really wants to be with Kim Jong Kook. But when thinking about her past, she takes a step back. 

She look back thru all the pictures taken while in Maldives. And seeing all the sweet moments they’ve shared together makes her hurt even more.

“Oppa……what should I do?? This is too painful for me…..and I've missed you too much........”

 

Later that night, Ji-eun did not come out from her room for dinner. She locks herself coz she didn’t feel like she can face anyone in her family. Her mom then brings dinner to her room.

“Ji-eun ah…come and eat a little bit…”

“I’m not hungry…..”

“Please don’t be like that. Your appa cooked this especially for you.”

“For what? He should cook for his beloved daughter, not me.”

“Don’t say like that. We love all our kids the same. Appa may be over reacted just now, but he feels guilty about it...…”

Ji-eun sit up on her bed, looking at her mom.

“Why feel guilty? He can do whatever he wants right? After all, parents always know what’s right and they were never wrong.”

“Aigoo…are you angry with me too, my baby?” Ji-eun’s mom teases her.

“I don’t deserve to be angry to anyone. In fact I don’t deserve to be happy. Everything that matters is unnie’s happiness right? I get it now…”

“That’s not true, Ji-eun.” Ji-eun’s father interferes.

“I’ll leave you two alone. Just don’t kill each other.”

“Chih…yeobo…..”

Ji-eun’s mom walks out and leaves those two; father and daughter alone.

“I know you have got the wrong impression with what happened just now. Ji-eun ah…appa apologize for slapping you eh…”

Ji-eun just play with her hands, not looking at her father.

“Aish…who would ever thought Song Ji-eun will be sulking like this. Ji-eun ah…appa cook your favorite food here. Please try some will you?”

“You should cook your beloved daughter’s favorite food. Or she will be more depressed.”

“Ji-eun ah..I think you have got the wrong the idea here. Appa loves you just as appa loves Ji-hyo and Ji-won. My loves to my entire child were the same. I admit, I over reacted just now. But that doesn’t mean I love Ji-hyo more than you or Ji-won. Ji-eun ah, you know your sister has not been herself since her pictures being exposed. You know she made the decision to break up without her willingness. And then of all people, you were the one who add up the scars on her wound. Of course it breaks her heart, it breaks our hearts as well…..it’s not that we don’t want to see you happy…your sister is trying so hard to move on…but with you being with Jong Kook, it wouldn’t help her any easier….”

Ji-eun move towards her father and hug him.

“Appa……believe me….I know what I’m doing…but I just can’t tell you yet…I’m doing my everything for unnie….please trust me on this one…”

Ji-eun’s dad just keep quiet, still didn’t understand what Ji-eun is trying to tell him.

“If you said so,….then I’ll trust and leave it to you….but for now, please eat this food…I even burned my hand while preparing it...”

“N-neh! Hehe…gomawo, appa…and I'm sorry........”

Her dad giving a smile, while ruffling her hair.

 

The following week, Byul asks Ji-hyo to follow her for her wedding gown and bridesmaid fitting. At first Ji-hyo refuses to be the bridesmaid. But when Byul said that Jong Kook had already refused to be the best man, Ji-hyo couldn’t say no to her after she had promised her while in Maldives. Ji-hyo feels sad with Jong Kook’s refusal coz she feels like it has something to do with her. Jong Kook probably hates her now after the incident at the jewelry shop with Ji-eun.

When they arrived in front of Bensoni boutique, Ji-hyo feels awkward. That shop belongs to Jong Kook’s childhood friend, and that shop reminds her of all the happiness and surprises that Jong Kook made for her. She stood still in front of the shop until Byul talks to her.

“Unnie, gaja! The designer is waiting for us…”

“Err….Byul ah…this isn’t a wedding dress boutique. What are we doing here?”

“Owh, you don’t know yet? Ms Sonia-ssi had launch her first design for wedding dresses. And because she’s also a friend of Dong Hoon oppa, so it’s easier for us to ask her to design our wedding dress. We even ask her to design for best man and bridesmaid dresses as well.”

“Owh really? Wow…I cannot imagine…”

“I know…...You’ll be surprise with her collections…flawless…let’s go!”

They both enter the shop and being greeted by Sonia herself.

 

While Byul tries her dresses, Sonia talks to Ji-hyo.

“Ji-hyo ah…I’m sorry to hear about you and Jong Kook. I really thought you both will end up together.”

“Owh…it’s okay…Sometimes when it’s not meant to be, you just have to let it go.”

“N-neh! I hope you’re strong to face it…”

“Yeah…me too…”

Sonia then left Ji-hyo and go to Byul. Ji-hyo took the time to look around at the wedding dress collections.

 

That is actually not a good idea coz it remind her of the rings that Ji-eun and Jong Kook chose last week. It also reminds her that she will never be able to wear a wedding dress for Jong Kook anymore. Although she’s sad, there’s one dress that catch her eyes. She touch the material and imagine if she’s wearing it.

“You should try it on….” Sonia tells her.

“Mwuh? Aih….a-ni….I’m just looking around.”

“Try it…I’d love to see you in it…I’m still looking for a model for my collections. I think it would be perfect on you.”

“Ahhh…it’s okay. I’m sure I’m not qualified to be your model. But my sister is a model, I can ask her to come.”

“Ji-hyo-ssi….if you treat me as your friend, please….do me this favor…I’d love to see you wearing it. You know how you always make my clothes more beautiful when you’re wearing it. Just because you’re no longer with Kim Jong Kook, doesn’t mean that you can’t do me a favor right? Pleasee……”

“Ohh….unnie…..just try it on…I’m sure it’ll look perfect on you….” Byul join Sonia.

Ji-hyo can’t refuse anymore and she didn't want to upset Sonia and Byul. She brings the dress to a fitting room and try it on. When she’s done, she looks thru the large mirror and couldn’t stop her tears. She couldn’t deny she looks perfect in it. But it doesn’t mean anything when she has no one to be with.

“Ji-hyo-ssi…..are you done? Let me see it….”

“N-neh!”

When Sonia opens the curtains to the fitting room, Ji-hyo is surprised to see Jong Kook standing in his suit, exactly like a groom waiting for his bride. She totally lost her words, looking at Jong Kook unbelievably.