Chapter 23

Beautiful Secret

It is the second day that Kim Jong Kook had been admitted at the hospital. Many reporters have come by and visit him but he still hasn’t reveal about his relationship with Ji-hyo. Luckily during their visit Ji-hyo was not around. Jong Kook and Ji-hyo had agreed to reveal everything only after they discuss with the Running Man PD’s.

 

When the PD’s arrived at the ward, they arranged for a mini meeting that includes PD Jo Hyo-jin, Im Hyung-taek, Kim Joo-hyung; Song Ji-hyo and her manager Baek Chang Joo; Kim Jong Kook as well as his manager Gap Jin.

“So, how are you doing, Jong Kook?” One of the PD’s ask.

“I’m good. I should be back in few days.”

“That’s good. But remember your health condition is the top priority. Of course we want all main cast to be in all episodes, but that doesn’t mean you should jeopardize your health condition.”

“Yes, I will make sure of that.”

“Okay. So both your managers have called us for a meeting here. What’s the news?”

Jong Kook look at Ji-hyo to double confirm and Ji-hyo nodded.

“We want to share that…..we are now……together….”

“Together….as what? You mean, you and….”

“Me and Jong Kook is officially….a couple…” Ji-hyo help to clear up Jong Kook’s statement.

There was a silent for a second, before PD Jo clapping his hand. “I knew something fishy is going on between you two. Congrats anyway. I’m more than happy for both of you.”

And then other PDs were shaking hands with Ji-hyo and Jong Kook as well. Baek Chang Joo of course trying his best pretending to be happy.

“Well, we were thinking to announce it to public. But we wanna get your opinion coz we wouldn’t want to do anything that’s gonna effect the show,” Jong Kook asking for opinion.

“Erm…of course we didn’t have any rights to interfere your personal commitment. But, I suggest that you put on hold about the announcement. At least, let’s try to show your closeness in few episodes and see what the viewers think. Of course Monday Couple fans may not like it, but at least when they get the hints; they’ll accept it sooner or later. Rather than you just drop the news to their face, it may be harder for them to accept.”

“Okay. I think that’ll do.” Jong Kook, Ji-hyo and everyone finally agreed.

 

After getting the approval from the doctor, Jong Kook can be discharge from the hospital. Ji-hyo, Chang Joo and Gap Jin were there to pick him up. After settling all the documentations and bills, they leave the hospital in two separate cars. Jong Kook goes with Ji-hyo while Chang Joo gets on Gap Jin’s car. Ji-hyo insists to drive Jong Kook back, because she actually wants to bring Jong Kook to her family’s house for dinner.

“Err….this is not the road to my house, love. Where are we going?”

“We are going to meet the person who loves you….”

“Loves me? She’s already beside me.” Jong Kook looks at Ji-hyo who’s driving and smiling.

“Ahahah…we’re going to my family’s house. They’re waiting for you.”

“What? Now? You mean, with me like this?? No!!”

“Too bad, coz the steering wheel is in my hand…hehe..” Ji-hyo giving her cute face to Jong Kook.

“So you’re kidnapping me now? You are one crazy girl, you know that?”

“I love you, love….Muah! Mmuah! Mmuahhh!!” Ji-hyo trying to coax her boyfriend.

“Wait until I’m fully fit, then you’ll know how much I love you,” Jong Kook trying to threaten Ji-hyo in a cute way.

“Hahahah!! Stop threatening me, boyfriend.”

Jong Kook smiles to her girlfriend, though he feels like he wanna squeeze her right now.

“Well at least you should inform me, so that I can wear proper clothes, and bring something for them. With my bandaged knee, and my messy look, everything is a deducting point you know.”

“Hahaha…They love you just the way you are. So don’t worry, jagiya.”

 

When they arrived at Ji-hyo’s family house, Ji-hyo help Jong Kook to walk using his crutches. Although it’s not a serious injury, but the doctor advice him not to step on the ground until he’s fully fit.

Ji-hyo’s family welcome Jong Kook to their house like Jong Kook is already part of them.

“Welcome, Jong Kook. Come, have a sit,” Ji-hyo’s dad approach Jong Kook.

“Yes, thank you sir.”

Ji-hyo and her mom then go to the kitchen and prepare the food, living Jong Kook and Ji-hyo’s father in the living hall.

“I am so sorry, to come here like this. Ji-hyo suddenly informs me when we’re already on our way coming here. She doesn’t even allow me to buy anything for this house. Mianhae!!”

“It’s okay. There’s no need for all that. So, how’s your knee? We’re sorry that we couldn’t visit you. Ji-hyo didn’t allow us to, she’s afraid that it will create some gossip in the media.”

“Yes, it’s okay. My knee is getting better. The doctor said there’s a crack on the bone but it will be okay in a few days.”

“Ouch! I really hope you’ll get well soon. We are really surprised to hear about the accident in the news. We thought they have mistaken you with someone else. But when we heard Ji-hyo called us crying, we knew it was you. She was so worried that she can hardly speak.”

“Wow….I’m really sorry to make everyone worried. Well it always get bigger when it’s in the news.”

“But how did the accident happened?” Ji-hyo’s mom suddenly interfere, coming out from the kitchen.

“Ermm….well actually…..”

“He’s trying to save Kang Gary from getting hit. That’s my boyfriend. Other people always come first than himself,” Ji-hyo answered before Jong Kook can explain.

“Owh really? Jong Kook ah, it’s very nice of you. But do care for yourself as well. Not that we want anything to happen to other people, but you need to concern for yourself too. You are the happiness to Ji-hyo. If anything happen to you, Ji-hyo will suffer as well,” Ji-hyo’s dad giving advice.

“Yes of course. I will remember your advice, sir.”

“Jong Kook ah, I’m sorry for your misunderstanding about my feelings towards you before this. It’s never been a matter of me preferring Gary over you, or anything like that. I thought Gary was the one that Ji-hyo chose, that’s why it looks like me preferred Gary. If only Ji-hyo tell me the truth, we can avoid the misunderstanding earlier,” Ji-hyo’s mom explained.

“It’s okay, mam. I understand.”

“Umma, I’ve explained to him, don’t worry okay? Anyway, dinner is ready. Let’s eat.”

All of them enter the dining room.

“Erm…I didn’t see Ji-eun around. She didn’t join us?” Jong Kook ask about Ji-eun, making Ji-hyo’s expression change.

“She’s out with her friend. Why? Missing her already?” Ji-hyo sounds unsatisfied.

“Ahahaha…just curious…” Jong Kook answered simply, then wink to Ji-hyo.

“Seong-Im ah, don’t tell me you’re jealous to Ji-eun as well,” Ji-hyo’s dad teasing.

“I am not!! Especially not to Ji-eun….” Ji-hyo answered in tense, while everyone else is already smiling, knowing that Ji-hyo is in denial.

“I heard someone called my name…….” Ji-eun suddenly appears out of nowhere. “Omo! Brother in law, I didn’t know you’re here!!!” Ji-eun hugs Jong Kook’s neck from behind, making Ji-hyo pissed off.

“Yah!!! You do remember that he’s my boyfriend right?? Let him go!!” Ji-hyo couldn’t control herself anymore.

“Aih, unnie!! Stop being a jealous freak will you? I already call him brother in law, so you should be thankful to me.”

“Ahahahah….Ji-eun ah, stop teasing your sister. Go and change, then come and join us here.”

“Of course, umma. I’m starving. Brother in law, I’ll be back!” Ji-eun left.

“Wow! It seems like Ji-eun already approve you to be part of the family, Jong Kook ah. That’s an achievement. Coz if she doesn’t like you, she’ll do anything to get rid of you,” Ji-hyo’s dad broke the silence.

“Owh really? Then I’m the lucky one…” Jong Kook answered in smile.

While they were having dinner, Ji-hyo’s brother greeted them.

“Ahhh…this is my lovely brother, Ji-won. Ji-won, this is Kim Jong Kook,” Ji-hyo introduces both of them to each other.

“Owh, nice to meet you, Ji-won.”

“Nice to meet you too, Jong Kook hyung. It’s a surprise to find you here in my house.”

“Ji-won ah, this is your future brother in law,” Ji-eun inform while eating.

Jong Kook is already smiling, while Ji-hyo getting more pissed off looking at Ji-eun.

“Yah!! Please be careful with your words!!”

“What? It’s the truth right? Owh….okay…Ji-won, this is your future brother in law, but he’s already my brother in law…no need to wait till future…hehee.”

“Yahhh pabo!!”

“Aishh, Seong-Im, Ji-eun…weren’t you ashamed of the guest?” Ji-hyo’s mom interrupts their fight.

“Umma, he’s not a guest, he’s already your son in law. Right, oppa?”

“Aa….I’d love to, but it’s still early to predict, Ji-eun ah. Hopefully it’ll come true one day.”

Everyone was smiling with Jong Kook’s statement and continue their dinner like a happy family.

 

After dinner and coffee chat with the family, Jong Kook calls Gap Jin to fetch him. While waiting for him to arrive, Jong Kook and Ji-hyo spend their time at the house garden.

“You’re not mad at me right, oppa?”

“Why do you always ask me that kind of question? Do you want me to get mad at you?”

“A-ni! I just want to check that you’re okay with all this. I don’t want you to hide your feelings and suddenly blows up everything.”

“I love you, Song Ji-hyo. I accept you the way you are. I know you only have good intention towards us, therefore whatever you did, it’s for our own good. How can I get mad at you…”

“Okay. Sorry I asked.” Ji-hyo look down to the ground.

“Ji-hyo ah, I’m glad you did this. It makes me feel much closer to your family, much comfortable with your family. Thanks, love.”

“Well, I was brilliant isn’t it?”

“Of course you are. That’s why you fit me really well…”

“Haha! So now I’m brilliant? Earlier you call me crazy?”

“Well, that’s the whole package isn’t it? I love you no matter what.”

“Love you too, jagiya. Erm, do you still feel the pain on your knee?”

“A little bit. It’s on and off. But the doctor said there’s nothing to be worry. Everything looks fine from the x-ray. Thinking back of the accident, I’m thankful to still be alive and did not face serious injury.”

“Yeah…..” Ji-hyo already looks down and plays with the soil using her foot. She tries not to look at Jong Kook.

Jong Kook sense something is wrong, and get closer to his girlfriend.

“Hey love….what’s wrong?”

Ji-hyo shakes her head, hinting nothing is wrong. But her eyes were already wet, and Jong Kook quickly makes her look at him.

“Hey…did I say something wrong?” Jong Kook pulls Ji-hyo to his chest. “Syhhh…if you want to cry, let it out…don’t keep it to yourself…..please, love….”

Ji-hyo tightens her grip hugging Jong Kook’s waist.

“You have no idea what I felt…the moment I knew you were involved in that accident.”

“Owh…I’m sorry, love….I’m so sorry…It felt like it was the right thing to do…”

“I know…I don’t blame you for that…but I just can’t imagine if I’m losing you at that time…I…I’m not ready…” Ji-hyo couldn’t continue anymore. She let out her tears and sobs.

“Syhhhh!! Everything is okay now. I promise I’ll be careful. I’m sorry for not thinking about you….I’m sorry to cause you worried…I’m sorry, love.”

“I love you, jagiya…..”

“I love you too……”

Gap Jin arrives and they both left Ji-hyo’s house that night.

 

After a week of resting, Jong Kook is thankful that his knee is already free of pain, although he’s not 100% fit. He gets back to the Running Man shooting but he needs to be careful with his knee.

The guests for today’s episode are Son Ye Jin, Park Chul Min and Lee Min Ki and the mission is to find the spy and tear off the tag. While Jong Kook and Ye Jin were the spies, they need to act smart in order that no one will notice or suspect them. It’s a little bit hard for Jong Kook coz that means he will need to lie to Ji-hyo and do all his best so she wouldn’t suspect him.

When there’s only the three of them left, Jong Kook acts innocent in front of Ji-hyo to lure her to trust him. He may be her boyfriend, but when it comes to Running Man, they try their best to be professional. Ji-hyo has asked Jong Kook many times if Jong Kook is the spy, but Jong Kook keeps on denying.

“Oppa, let’s be honest. Are you the spy?”

“It’s not me. If I were to tear yours off, I’ll change my name.”

“Really?” Ji-hyo asks, still feeling doubtful.

“Yes, I promise.”

They then promise by hand shake and walks away to find Son Ye Jin. When they found her, Ye Jin acts like she doesn’t know Jong Kook is the spy and they are planning to eliminate Ji-hyo. Ji-hyo actually believes Jong Kook’s promise therefore she trust Jong Kook 200% in this.

But it turns out when Ji-hyo tries to confront to Ye Jin, Jong Kook actually grab her from behind and let Ye Jin tear off her tag. Once Ye Jin succeeds, Jong Kook let go of Ji-hyo and gets away from Ji-hyo with thousands of guilt. Ji-hyo looks at her boyfriend with disbelief.

“You???” (How can you do this to me???)

“Mianhae, Ji-hyo ah…..mianhae……..”

“You liar!!!…..You…….” Ji-hyo pulls Jong Kook’s hair as hard as she can. She even think of kicking Jong Kook’s injured knee but luckily she get hold of her mind.

“I’m sorry, Ji-hyo…I’m sorry….please….” (Please understand the situation, love…please….)

“Arghhh!! I’m so pissed right now…….” Ji-hyo let go of Jong Kook’s hair and turn to walk away.

“Ji-hyo ah…mianhae….I’m sorry, Ji-hyo ah…..”

“Don’t…talk…to…me!!!” Ji-hyo shouted and walks away.

Jong Kook can just watched Ji-hyo left. (I’m sorry, babe…..I’ll make it up to you….)

When the winner which is Son Ye Jin being revealed, Ji-hyo is still pissed off with Jong Kook. Jong Kook tries to say something to her but she shouted to him, “Don’t ever talk to me..I still don’t wanna talk to you, Kim Jong Kook…Oh no..you said you’ll change your name…Yah Song Jong Kook!!”

“Omo! Song Jong Kook??? Is that a hint or what Ji-hyo ah?” Jae-suk teases.

“Yah!! No, he shouldn’t use my name, coz I’m not a liar….Hey Yoo Jong Kook!!!”

“Mwuh?? Why using my name? Am I a liar to you??” Jae-suk defend himself.

“Ahahaha….you are, most of the time, oppa….” Ji-hyo answered.

 

After the shooting finished, Jong Kook waited for the right time to approach his girlfriend. He wonders if Ji-hyo is just acting angry during the shooting or she’s seriously angry even outside of the shoots. He’s just watching her from far.

“Hyung, what are you still doing here? Weren’t you supposed to talk to your girlfriend now?” Haha voice out.

“Dong Hoon ah…I don’t think she’s pretending that she’s mad at me. I think she is really angry at me now.”

“Ahahahah…it’s your own fault. Why do you have to betray her like that? You can just be a spy like you always do, without acting innocent in front of her….”

“Yah!! It’s not like you never betray anyone when you were the spy.”

“Ahahaha….I never said I’m not. But I’m referring to you. You were never the betrayer. But why be one now? Is it because of Son Ye Jin??”

“Syhhhh!! Watch your mouth. Ji-hyo may misunderstand your statement.”

“Omo! So it’s true isn’t it?”

“Look! I’m just playing my part. We both agreed to be professional during the shoots, so she shouldn’t be angry right?”

“Okay then. Good luck!” Haha pat Jong Kook’s shoulder for good luck before leaving him.

Jong Kook walks slowly to Ji-hyo.

“Ji-hyo ah…Are you done?” Jong Kook asks softly.

Ji-hyo grabs her bag, ignoring her boyfriend and looking for her manager. “Chang Joo oppa, I’m ready. Let’s go…”

“Ji-hyo ah…Are you taking serious about what happened during the shoots? I thought we promised to be professional.”

“Sorry! I don’t talk to liars!” Ji-hyo then walks together with her manager, leaving Jong Kook confused alone.

“Jong Kook ah, need a ride?” Jae-suk offered.

“I’m waiting for Gap Jin, hyung. Thanks.” Actually Jong Kook hasn’t called Gap Jin yet, because he’s still confused when Ji-hyo left him just like that. He’s supposed to go back with Ji-hyo, but since he’s been left, he needs to find his savior.

“Aihh…no need to ask him coming here. I can send you home. Gaja!!” Jae-suk insists. Jong Kook finally agreed.

 

On the way back, Jong Kook is being quiet than usual.

“Jong Kook ah…is everything okay between you two?”

“N-neh! At least I thought we were okay…but I don’t know if Ji-hyo feels the same or not.”

“Owh?? What’s wrong?”

“I don’t even know, hyung. I thought we were okay, but…I don’t know…I’m just too tired to think about it now…” Jong Kook expresses his frustration.

“Is it because of what happen during the shoots? Well, she should have been professional and doesn’t take things too serious isn’t it? After all it’s just a game, and it’s only for variety.”

“That’s why. I thought we have mutual agreement on this.”

“Well I’m sure it’s not that serious. Maybe she’s just upset a little bit. But knowing Ji-hyo, she won’t take it too personal. Just try to call her when you arrived.”

“I will. Thanks, hyung.”

 

After Jong Kook getting ready to sleep, he tries to call Ji-hyo. As expected, Ji-hyo didn’t answer his calls. He then tries to leave text messages.

Jong Kook: Love, why didn’t you answer my calls? Are you still mad at me? I am so sorry, if you’re upset with me. But I thought we have agreement about this whole spy thing. Talk to me, love. I miss you so much. You know I can’t sleep without talking to you. Please, love…..

Ji-hyo really misses her boyfriend too. But she couldn’t accept the way he betrayed her. She know they already agreed to be professional and no hard feelings about it but the way Jong Kook played his role really hurt her feelings.

Jong Kook: Love, I guess you’re still mad at me. I’ll leave you alone to cool off then. But please keep in mind, that I’m so in love with you. I will never do what I did in real life. You know me better than others that I’m not that type of person. Anyway, take care of yourself, k. I’m gonna miss you, tonight..more than any other nights…I love you, Song Ji-hyo. Will always love you…sleep tight, dream of me…mmuahh!! Good night.

Ji-hyo feels guilty reading the text messages but stop herself from replying. Maybe it’s a good time for them to be alone and think more about each other.