Chapter 20

Beautiful Secret

Kim Jong Kook slowly turns around to find Gary walking towards him with a very angry face. And just a few inches before Gary, Ji-hyo came out from her house to send Jong Kook’s clothes that he wore the night before.

“Jagiya, you left this in my room….” Ji-hyo said to Jong Kook without realizing that Gary is already close to her.

“Gary…” That’s all coming out from Jong Kook’s mouth.

Ji-hyo is surprise to hear that name, and suddenly turn around to find Gary right behind her. “Owh, Kang Gary….”

“…...What is this????...............What the hell is going on between you two?!!!.....” Gary shouted. His face is totally red.

Ji-hyo couldn’t say a word coz she’s too shocked to see Gary being that angry.

“Gary ah, let’s discuss about this calmly. Ji-hyo ah, can we discuss in your house?”

“N-neh!!”

 

All three of them walk into Ji-hyo’s house. Ji-eun who’s surprise to see all three of them was instructed to stay in her room.

“Have a seat. Kang Gary, what would you like to drink?” Ji-hyo offer slowly, trying to ease the tense mood.

Gary just stares at Ji-hyo with a very serious look. “I don’t come here to drink. Just go straight to the point!”

“Gary ah…Ji-hyo is asking you nicely as she is the owner of this house. Can’t you just answer politely as a guest?”

“Huh?? So now we’re talking about the protocol of house owner and guest is it?”

Jong Kook has no intention to start quarrel with Gary. “Ji-hyo, come here….” Jong Kook asks Ji-hyo to sit next to him, and Ji-hyo just follows his instruction. Moreover she’s still scared of Gary.

“Hah! I cannot believe what’s in front of me right now,” Gary speak in a very irritating tone.

Jong Kook try his very best to be patient with Gary, knowing that he’s the reason Gary behave this unusual.

 “Answer me first, hyung. Were you two together, as a couple?”

“Yes…….we are……Gary ah, I’m sorry…..” Jong Kook started with a very low tone.

“Yeah…it’s really that easy right? Since everything blew up, you just have to ask for apologies. Is that all for you?”

“Gary ah, it was never our intention to hide it from you.”

“Of course!!! You wanna tell me it just happens right? Without you both noticing it? All you know are you suddenly falling in love with each other…Is that it???……..How dramatic….”

“Oppa, please try to understand our situation……” Ji-hyo speaks slowly looking at the floor, didn’t have the guts to look up to Gary.

“Your situation?? What about my situation, Ji-hyo ah?? I’ve always try to find ways to get close to you, but all you did was avoiding me. Why can’t you just tell me that you’ve met someone? So that I will stop acting like a fool, trying to get your attention!! Tell me, hyung. How long has this been going on??”

Jong Kook looks into Gary’s eyes with millions of guilts. “……It’s been…….more than four months now……..”

Gary just couldn’t believe what he heard. “Mwuh rah goo? Did you mean, you’ve been together for many months now?”

“………N-neh…….” Jong Kook answered.

Gary just smashes his cap on the floor and starts to walk around.

“So you mean, when we had dinner at Ji-hyo’s family house, you’ve already been together??”

“…….N-neh……”

“Even when Ji-hyo was admitted to the hospital??”

“……..Mianhae, Gary……..” Jong Kook voice is only whispering now.

“Ji-hyo ah…..the guy who sneaked out to visit you at the hospital…..was it Kim Jong Kook??”

Ji-hyo couldn’t speak anymore. She just nodded weakly.

Gary suddenly lost his temper and hit the sofa, making Ji-hyo jump up a little bit.

“Arghhhhhh!! Wae!! Wae! Wae!! How could you both lie to my face?? How could you, Ji-hyo ah??”

“Gary ah, please calm down…let’s deal like a man..”

“Oh shut up! As far as I’m concern you have no right to advise me anything. I have always respected you as my brother. I have always thought of you as my mentor, hyung. But today, you don’t deserve any of that….you doesn’t even deserve the title ‘hyung’….”

Jong Kook just let Gary express his frustration.

“……….and for you, Ji-hyo…..I thought you’re the perfect girl for me…I thought you are different from other girls…..but I’m totally wrong….you are just the same as others,….heartless…and I think you both were meant for each other….both were liars, both were betrayers…..and both were selfish……”

At this point, Ji-hyo already covers her face with both her hands and tries very hard not to cry out. When Jong Kook saw Ji-hyo is about to cry, he can no longer keep quiet.

“Yah Gary!! You can say anything about me, you can even blame me alone in this…..but Ji-hyo is not at fault. You shouldn’t have said that about her. I’m the one who stops her from telling you. She insists many times to tell you about us. I’m the only one for you to blame.”

“Huh!! How romantic….a boyfriend now defending his girlfriend….Whatever it is, I can no longer see both of your faces. I cannot deal with this bull anymore!”

 

Gary walks to the door but Jong Kook grabs his wrist.

“Gary ahhh….please….Don’t walk away like this...I know it hurt to find out like this, but I’m sure there’s a reason for all this to happen…Let’s deal with this once and for all....” Jong Kook talks softly, trying to persuade Gary.

“Get off of me!!” Gary pushes Jong Kook. Ji-hyo closed with her hand seeing unexpected act from Gary. “Yeah Kim Jong Kook!! It happened for a reason….It happened to show me the truth about both of you…what kind of person you both were…”

“Gary ah…..”

“Do you know how painful it is to be stabbed by your own hyung??” Gary looks directly to Jong Kook. “To be stabbed by the person who you’re in love?” Gary looks over to Ji-hyo, sadly. “You can never imagine, Jong Kook ah….”

“Choe song hamnida, Gary….” Jong Kook keep on asking for Gary’s forgiveness.

“……………………I better leave now…only God knows the patience limit I have inside me….Starting from now, we’ll just finish our job in Running Man…Outside of it, we no longer know each other....thank you to both of you………”

 

Gary leaves with a bang at the door. Ji-hyo runs to the kitchen and cries near the sink since she’s been holding her tears. Jong Kook walks slowly towards her and hug her from behind.

“Hey…..” Jong Kook talks softly.

Ji-hyo quickly turns around and cries in Jong Kook’s arm. That’s all she need at the moment.

“Don’t cry, yeobo….you know Gary didn’t mean anything he said…He’s just too angry right now…But when he’s calm, he will think again about this…..” Jong Kook tries to coax his girlfriend.

“But, he seem like he hate us already….what if…..” Ji-hyo starts to sob.

“Hey….hey….Love, listen…” Jong Kook hold Ji-hyo’s cheek with his hand and wipe the tears. “Don’t think too much, okay…I will do everything I can to get his forgiveness…and please don’t feel guilty about all this…It’s not your fault, love….”

“Oppa….I never thought….it…will…turn out…this bad…..”

“Ssyyyhhh!! When people are angry, they tend to say anything to express their frustration, their anger….but Gary is a nice guy…I’m sure one fine day, he’ll forgive us and we’ll be close again…” 

Ji-hyo tightens her hug while Jong Kook her hair slowly.

“Love, I have to go now….”

“Why? Can’t you stay here for a while?”

“I think, our emotions are too tired with all this…I need to be alone for a moment…and I think you need it too….”

“You’re right! I shouldn’t disturb you right now….”

“Hey…..take a rest okay? Don’t think too much…Just go and have fun with Ji-eun or do something to distract you…”

“N-neh…you take care, jagiya…”

 

Jong Kook leaves the house and stay quietly in his car. He’s been holding his true feelings in front of Gary and Ji-hyo. He let Gary say whatever he wants and he pretend cool in front of Ji-hyo, cause he didn’t want to add more sadness to Ji-hyo. But the truth is, he’s totally sad with everything that happened. He never thought Gary could burst out like that, and said such things to him and Ji-hyo. He couldn’t blame Gary either. Coz he’s responsible for everything. When Gary called him a liar, betrayer, stabber; he feels that he deserve all those names.

When his mobile rings, he quickly wipe the tears in his eyes and answer the phone.

“Yoboseyo!” Jong Kook greeted unenergetic.

“Yoboseyo! Owh Jong Kook hyung, why did you sound so…weak?? Are you okay?”

“N-neh! Dong hoon ah, what’s up?”

“Hyung, Gary just called me and ask to meet him urgently. But he sounds so weird. Do you know anything about it??”

Jong Kook in silent.

“Hyung….are you still there?? What happen to you, hyung??” Haha sounds worried.

“Dong Hoon ah……Gary….already know about me and Ji-hyo……”

“Omo!! Really?? How? But why did he sound angry?”

“He…….caught me at Ji-hyo’s house……”

“Omo!! That’s bad!! So what happened then?”

“It’s really bad, Dong Hoon…I don’t even know if he ever gonna forgive me..but you please take care of him..He’s too devastated…”

“But hyung, he should try to understand…when it comes to love, you can’t force it…I’ll try to talk to him..”

“Better not today, Dong Hoon ah…he’s hurt too much…Just be a good listener today..”

“Owh, okay! Jong Kook hyung, do you want me to come over?”

“It’s okay, Dong Hoon. I just want to be alone today.”

“Owh, okay then. How’s Ji-hyo doing?”

“She’s……upset, of course….but, we both need to be alone..I can’t let her see my frustration….”

“You’re right. Hyung, I’ll go and meet Gary now. I’ll call you again, okay? Don’t be too upset, everything’s gonna be fine…”

“Thank you, Dong Hoon ah….If….he ever…..wanna hear my name, please tell him…..I’m so sorry….” Jong Kook can’t handle his sadness and let his tears flow.

“Hyung, are you crying?....Hyung, I will do my best to clear all this….dont worry, Jong Kook hyung.”

“N-neh….Thank you, Dong Hoon ah…you’re the only dongsaeng I have now…”

“You take care, hyung…”

Line disconnected. Jong Kook starts his car and drive away.

 

Ji-hyo couldn’t stop her tears from running down her cheek. It’s supposed to be a small matter, but how can it turn to be this big, and painful. Ji-eun walks closer to her sister on the bed.

“Unnie, are you okay?”

Ji-hyo sit up and lean at the headboard.

“Unnie, what happened just now? I never heard Gary oppa that angry.”

Ji-hyo tries to smile.

“He….knew about me and Jong Kook oppa….”

“Really? But, why should he be mad? Love is not something that you plan, it comes naturally. He has no right to interfere.”

“But we’ve lied to him. We hid the truth from him. That’s what pissed him off….”

 “Owh…but unnie, at least you and Jong Kook oppa didn’t have to pretend anymore. Only time will heal him. So don’t worry. Sooner or later he’ll be fine..”

Ji-hyo look down on her bed. Then she look up to Ji-eun and smile, with her soggy eyes.

“You know what Gary oppa said about me………..that I’m heartless, liar, betrayer…..and selfish…When I think of it, perhaps he’s right…Don’t you think so, Ji-eun?”

“Unnie, don’t look down to yourself. Gary oppa only said that because he’s too frustrated. When he’s sober, he will realize that he’s over acting. He will apologize to you, unnie.”

“Huh…..I will not put any hopes on that…..” Ji-hyo try to laugh.

“Unnie, how about Jong Kook oppa? Is he….okay?”

“He’s trying to control his sadness. I knew that. Kang Gary and Dong Hoon have been his dongsaengs from long time ago. And now that this thing happened, he’s totally sad. I can see it in his eyes. But he tries to hide it. Whenever he ask to be alone, that’s because he wanna hide his true feelings.”

“Owh, I see. Well I hope everything will be settle soon. Unnie, don’t be sad okay?”

“Thanks, little sister.”

“Ermm, I’m going out for a while, you’ll be okay alone?”

“N-neh! Don’t worry about me. You take care ah.”

“N-neh!”

Ji-eun left.

 

Haha arrived at the place that he promised to meet Gary. When he walks in, Gary already seem a little bit drunk. Luckily they were in a private dining room.

“Omo! Gary ah! Don’t you think it’s too early to be drunk?”

“Owh, Haha ah……you came….hehehe……Come and join me……” Gary pour some vodka into Haha’s glass.

“Gary ah, what happen to you? Why are you like this?”

“Me??........Hurm…….I’ve…..just been killed….hehehe….”

“Gary ah, let’s go home! You need to rest…tomorrow we have shooting.”

“Shooting?? Owhhh……I need….to be drunk….till tomorrow then…..”

“Gary, please…Whatever problems you have right now, you should try to be strong and face it….Find solution for it, not thrashing yourself like this..”

“Problems? Hahaha….Dong Hoon, I’ve lost a brother today…..Can you find the solution for me?”

“Gary, let’s go home. We’ll talk when you’re sober….”

“I know what I’m talking about!!! Don’t act as if you know how I felt right now!!” Gary get angry and shouted at Haha.

“Fine! Then let’s talk. You ask me to come here, coz you have something to tell me, coz you need a friend to listen. But right now you can’t even stand straight. How am I supposed to listen to you if all that you’ve said until now is just rubbish?”

Gary wipe his face and his hair.

“I may be…a little bit drunk….but the pain…..is still there….”  Gary starts to cry.

Haha don’t have intention to interrupt. He feels sorry for Gary, but he also understand why Jong Kook hide it from Gary.

“Do you know….how painful it is…to be stabbed on your back….by the person that you love the most, Dong Hoon??”

“What do you mean, Gary?” Haha pretend he didn’t know what happened.

“Kim Jong Kook, and Ji-hyo, have killed me today…..and I will never……forgive them…….”

“Omo!! Gary ah, let’s talk about this tomorrow. You need to calm yourself first. You’re totally not thinking straight right now.”

And Gary suddenly collapse on the table, getting too drunk. Haha call Yoo Jae-suk to come and pick Gary so they both can send him home.

“Gary ah….I understand your feelings right now…but I also understand why Jong Kook hyung did that….look at it the positive side, and you both will live happily again…be strong, Gary ah…” Haha talk to the unconscious Gary.