Chapter 1

Beautiful Secret

 

“Cut!!”

The shooting for Running Man was finally over for that day.

Ji-hyo walks toward her manager, Baek Chang Joo. He handled a bottle of water & a small towel. Ji-hyo wipes her chubby face while talking to her manager.

Suddenly Jae-suk approaches her.

“Ji-hyo yah, let’s go somewhere and eat. I know you’re already late for your food.”

“Oppa, what do you mean my food?”

With smile, Jae-suk answered “Ji-hyo yah, everyone knows you love eating..and today we finished a little bit late, of course you’re already starving.”

“Aishhh…oppa, I think I’m not the only one who’s starving. Why did you only highlighted me?? Arghhh…” Ji-hyo pretends to make angry face, but she’s still smiling.

“Ji-hyo ah, you know oppa love to tease you right? Don’t get mad, ah…and don’t curse oppa in your heart ah.”

“Oppaaaaa…uhuhuuuu…” Ji-hyo shouts with a crying voice. She sounds very cute and like a little girl.

Not far from them, a pair of eyes had been watching the girl, secretly. Kim Jong Kook pretends to pack his stuffs slowly while watching Song Ji-hyo on and off. He’s quite shy when it comes to girl thing, so of course he didn’t want anyone to notice his reaction. That’ll be like the biggest scandal if anyone knows.

“Hyung, why are you packing the microphone as well?” Haha suddenly standing next to Jong Kook.

“What?”

Haha took out the microphone from Jong Kook’s bag.

“I said, why did you pack this thing with you? Are you trying to steal the microphone?” Haha trying to joke with his hyung.

“Cheh…do you think I can’t afford to buy a microphone? You ahh..” Jong Kook tries to defend his act.

“Hahahah…hyung, that’s why I’m asking you just now. Or….are you out of focus because you’re watching Ji-hyo?? Aaaa….hyung…don’t tell me you…”

“What? What?? Don’t simply said, ah..people will misunderstand your statement later, Ha Dong Hoon..something just distract my mind, but it has nothing to do with her." Jong Kook still defending himself.

Haha suddenly laugh out loud. “Kim Jong Kook, you know you’re not good at lying right? Especially to me..I’m your dongsaeng, I know what can cause you out of focus. You are very weak when it comes to women.”

“Haha, it was nothing…don’t make assumption..let’s go..” Jong Kook makes a serious face.

They both get into Jong Kook’s car. While Jong Kook is browsing thru his mobile, Jae-suk suddenly takes place next to the driver’s seat.

“Ahhh…sorry to keep you waiting, Jong Kook ah…ladies and make up will definitely take time.”

“Hyung, are you wearing a make-up now?? And what do you mean ladies?” Jong Kook doesn’t realize Ji-hyo already take place at the back seat.

“Annyeong, oppa…” greet Ji-hyo.

Jong Kook is shocked to hear Ji-hyo’s voice from back seat. “Ohhh…Ji-hyo ah, since when were you at the back there??”

With smile, Ji-hyo replied “Since you’re not paying attention, oppa. It’s dangerous, you know. Bad people could easily replace me while you are not paying attention.”

Haha is already smiling. Somehow he believes his assumption is right. Jong Kook can never lie to him. He’s been with Kim Jong Kook almost thru out his life. They were already like brothers. They always shared stories, secrets, and problems. There is no way Kim Jong Kook can lack of focus if it’s not about women. And he actually caught Kim Jong Kook secretly look at Ji-hyo for few times before this. But he never asks or tell him because he want to make sure he has a solid prove, so that Kim Jong Kook can never deny again.

“Oppa, I hope you don’t mind I join you all for dinner.”

“Aihhh….Ji-hyo….of course I don’t mind. Do you think I can eat properly while only watching Jae-suk hyung and Ha Dong Hoon? In fact I might lost appetite….hehe..”

Jae-suk watch Jong Kook with surprise. “Yah Jong Kook…how dare you say that? If it weren’t with us, you wouldn’t have friends to eat with, you know…”

“Hahaha….Jae-suk hyung…I was only joking…come on…why suddenly being so sensitive??”

“Jae-suk hyung, why don’t we just leave this two love birds to go and eat by themselves?” Haha tries to trap Jong Kook.

“Yahhh…my dongsaeng…you also want to be sensitive with me yah?? I was only joking…okay, I apologize. I actually lost appetite when you two weren’t around…satisfied?”

“Only if you treat us, tonite…” said Haha.

Jong Kook have no choice but to agreed.

“Yeahhh……” Haha give five to Jae-suk while Ji-hyo just smiling happily. But she caught Jong Kook stare at her thru rear middle mirror. Ji-hyo suddenly blushed, and quickly look outside.

“Hyung, Gary, Suk Jin hyung and Kwang Soo didn’t follow us?”

“No…Gary need to rush back for his Leessang album recording…Kwang Soo need to meet his director for new series. Suk Jin need to go back..his son is not feeling well…”

“I see..hope everything is okay with Suk Jin hyung’s son.” Kim Jong Kook really loves kids. No wonder he’s worried for Ji Suk Jin.

They arrived at a restaurant and have their dinner. During dinner, Jae-suk keep teasing Ji-hyo about Gary and Monday Couple.

“Oooppaa…..stop teasing me will you?? You did that during shooting, and outside shooting also you still want to mention Monday Couple? Give me a break…I’m trying to enjoy my food here…” said Ji-hyo.

“Jae-suk hyung..stop it ahh…or someone will be angry with you..” Haha glance at Jong Kook.

“Yah Dong Hoon…you still have a crush with Ji-hyo ah?? No wonder you are jealous when I mention about Gary and Ji-hyo..”

“Hyung…it’s not like that…it’s not me…but I know the person who does have a crush with Mong Ji. But he will not admit it…one fine day, I’m sure he’ll come clean and admit it…heheheh…”

“You’re not thinking that I’m having a crush with Song Ji-hyo right, Dong Hoon??” Jae-suk joke again.

Ji-hyo can’t help it anymore and laugh out loud. They were all having fun eating, laughing, and make jokes. It seems like all the stress, feeling tired, gone in one second.

After two hours, they left the restaurant. Ji-hyo wants to call her manager to fetch her, but Jong Kook offer to drive her home. Of course this will make Jae-suk and Haha feel curious with Jong Kook kindness, especially because everyone knows Ji-hyo’s house is far from there.

“Haha ah…did you notice Jong Kook seems nice tonight? Gentleman…quiet…all he did was laughing; smiling…don’t you feel strange??”

“Hyung, you both were too sensitive tonight. So it’s better for me to be quiet. Besides, all this while it’s both of you who always have things to talk about.”

“But Kim Jong Kook, you are always like this when in front of a girl that you like…hurmm hurmm hurmm…” Haha play his role as a spy again.

“Haaaa…now I get it…in the restaurant, you are actually referring to Jong Kook right?? Haaaa….Kim Jong Kook….I never thought you could have feelings toward Miss Mong…”

“What?? No!…Haha is saying nonsense things from the beginning of the day…” said Jong Kook to his defense.

“Ya Ji-hyo ahh..I never thought Jong Kook’s taste is someone like you..hahahahahahah…”

“Aihh…it’s so hard to talk to you today, hyung..” Jong Kook getting fed-up after Haha and Jae-suk didn’t listen to his explaination. But he’s more afraid that Ji-hyo will take serious of their jokes and distance herself from him. Ji-hyo have always stress out that she wants to focus on her career, and let go of love for a while.

Somehow Jae-suk and Haha ask Kim Jong Kook to send them first. But actually they just want to give Kim Jong Kook and Ji-hyo time alone. Though Ji-hyo and Kim Jong Kook didn’t agree at first, when it comes to Jae-suk and Haha, they hardly disagree.

When Jae-suk arrived at his home, he ask Ji-hyo to seat in front.

“Ji-hyo ah…don’t bully Kim Jong Kook ah…come and sit in front…what, you think you’re some kind of a madam? Don’t treat Kim Jong Kook like a driver ah…or he’ll drop you in the middle of nowhere..hahahaha”

“Oppa, why did you mention it? I was just started to feel like I’m a rich girl, with a driver…hehe..”

“Yah Ji-hyo yah…it’s still a long road to your house…don’t give me reason to kidnap you…” Jong Kook answered with a smile. Ji-hyo feels like she’s melting every time Jong Kook smiles. Then she come and sit in front. Kim Jong Kook continues his driving.

“Oppa, am I not troubling you? You should really let me ask my manager to fetch me. After you send me, there’s still a long way to go back to your house. And tomorrow we have Running Man shooting in early morning. When will you sleep and rest?”

“Then I should just sleep at your house ah…” suddenly Jong Kook feels like teasing Ji-hyo.

Ji-hyo blushed; don’t know how she should answer.

When Jong Kook realize Ji-hyo goes blank, he quickly change his statement.

“Ji-hyo, oppa was joking..do you think I’m insane to be sleeping in your house?” (but oppa will be delighted if you’re my girlfriend, and ask me to stay with you Ji-hyo ah.)

“Ahh..no, oppa…I know you’re just kidding..”

Then they continue chatting about other things.

Jong Kook asks about their scene in Family Outing few years back.

“Ji-hyo, oppa have one thing to ask you about our past experience in Family Outing. Oppa have been wondering all this while, and never get a chance to get your explaination..”

“Family Outing? What is it, oppa? If only I can remember…hehe..”

“I think you should, because it’s about your feelings at that time…”

“My feelings?”

“Yeah….ermm…remember there’s one scene when oppa and Hyori went to pick the vege, Jae-suk hyung and you were shouting to me…but I couldn’t heard what you’re saying..I mean not too clear..what is it actually?”

Ji-hyo feels ashamed and covers her face.

“Oppa, that was nothing….really..” (How can I tell you that I shouted “Jong Kook oppa…saranghae..”..please oppa…let’s not talk about this..)

“Aihhh Ji-hyo…there must be something…it’s not like I didn’t hear at all..I just want to make sure what I heard at that time is true…so that I can stop wondering till forever…”

Unluckily, they have arrived at Ji-hyo’s house. Ji-hyo feels relieved, while Jong Kook feels unsatisfied.

“Oppa, we’ll chat again later, ok…we both need a lot of rest for tomorrow…thank you, oppa..”

“Neh…Ji-hyo, don’t think you can escape from “that” question ah…hehehe…good nite”

“Good nite, oppa…drive safely ya…sms me when you’ve arrived home.”

“I will..good nite..Go inside first, then I’ll leave…”

Jong Kook feels like he’s responsible to make sure Ji-hyo is safely in her house. After Ji-hyo closed the door, Jong Kook left. All the way back, all Jong Kook can think about is Ji-hyo. He feels like his crush towards Ji-hyo gets stronger and deeper tonight.

(Ji-hyo ahh..oppa has started falling in love with you…I know I should stop this feelings, but I can’t help it…what should I do, Ji-hyo??) Jong Kook talks to himself.

 

 

Next day of shooting, Ji-hyo and Jong Kook arrived in separate cars. But they were the last two persons who arrived late, and both wearing glasses to cover their eyes.

After greeting all other Running Man members, they apologize for being late.

“Hyung…what day is it today?” Gary asked Jae-suk. “We don’t have Jong Kook and Ji-hyo as a couple on Tuesday right??”

Everyone laugh with an unthinkable question by Gary.

“Hiyaaa…Gary..there’s no need to be jealous..” said Jae-suk.

“Really?? Then they weren’t a couple? Arghh..I feel much better..”

“Gary ya…you don’t need to be jealous,..because you were never Ji-hyo’s boyfriend..and you will never be…hahahaha”

“Urghhhh….strrrresssssss!!” Gary knocks his own head. Everyone laugh.

Behind the glasses, both Ji-hyo and Jong Kook have been looking at each other without anyone realizes.

“Ji-hyo, what happen to your eyes? Or you’re still sleeping behind the dark glasses?”

“Oppa…I’m fine..I just need time before I can see the bright light.”

“Jae-suk hyung..it seems like someone is having a late party last nite..and couldn’t wake up this morning..hehehe..” joked Haha.

“What? What? Don’t simply accuse ah Dong Hoon..” Ji-hyo showed angry face to Haha.

“Weh weh weh…why are you angry Miss Mong??” Haha continue to make Ji-hyo angry.

Ji-hyo tries to kicks Haha and chase him. Haha run towards Jong Kook and hide behind him, asking for protection from the macho man.

Jong Kook grabs both Ji-hyo’s arm and try to stop her.

“Ji-hyo ah..oppa will pay back for you after the shooting okay. Let’s finish today’s assignment first.” Jong Kook tries to slow talk with Ji-hyo, and she agreed.

Haha and Jae-suk smile at each other, like they understand something is going on between Ji-hyo and Jong Kook.

 

 

The shooting begin. It was Jong Kook, Haha, and Kwang Soo versus Ji-hyo, Jae-suk, Suk Jin and Gary.

Jong Kook’s team attack, others doing mission. After an hour, Jong Kook meets Ji-hyo in the hallway. Ji-hyo quickly uses her strategy of pleasing and begging with her cute face.

“Oppaaaaa….” Ji-hyo slowly comes up to Jong Kook.

Jong Kook is already smiling, as he knew what Ji-hyo plans to do.

“Oooppaaaaa….you know that our team is weak right…is it possible for you to let me go? Oppa, if I’m the only person left, you’ll definitely win, ooppaa….how can I beat you..you’re the strong one…”

“Aihhh Ji-hyo ahhh…why are you like this to oppaa?”

“Pleaseee, oppa…the game had just begin..it won’t be fun if I’m out…”

After thinking for about few minutes, Jong Kook let Ji-hyo go.

“Go.. ppaleun…”

“Thank you, oppa..”

And Ji-hyo quickly runs.

Haha come up to Jong Kook.

“Kim Jong Kook, why did you let her go?”

“We’ll find her again…soon…trust me…”

Haha feel strange with the competitive Kim Jong Kook, who suddenly turns out to be a gentleman.

“Hyung, you will separate your personal feelings and work right?? Or do you plan to let her win?”

“What are you saying? Of course I want to win…”

“Woo….woho….you better make sure we win, or I’ll tell everyone. Hahahah…”

And Haha left Kim Jong Kook. They continue searching for other members.

Suk Jin, Jae-suk is already out. Only Ji-hyo and Gary left.

But maybe because of fate, Kim Jong Kook keeps on seeing Ji-hyo. Again Ji-hyo uses her strategy.

“Ji-hyo yah….don’t let oppa meet you again…I’m now tired of letting you go, not tired of catching you…”

Ji-hyo just laughs. “Okay, oppa…I will definitely hide myself.  Next time you see me, you can tear my name…”

“Yes..I surely will…now, go…”

“Oppa, thank you…oppa, you’re the best…”

“Yes…I know that…run, faster..”

When Ji-hyo is sure she’s far from Jong Kook, she has this cute idea of teasing Jong Kook.

She shouts at Kim Jong Kook  “Jong Kook oppa…..sa…rang…hae yo” But at the part “rang hae yo”, she goes silent; shouting without her voice. Just like her previous scene in Family Outing.

“What???”

Ji-hyo being naughty, quickly runs away as fast as she can. But she’s more tired of laughing than running.

Kim Jong Kook ties his shoelace tighter. And then proceed to search for both Gary and Ji-hyo. Suddenly he heard Ji-hyo scream.

“Aaaaa!!!! Oooppppaaaaaa!!!!”

When Kim jong Kook arrives at the scene, Ji-hyo is struggling with Lee Kwang Soo. Knowing Kwang Soo’s fighting spirit and eagerness to win, he will be rough and do anything to anyone, though she’s a girl, lady, or a guest.

“Yah…Kwang Soo ah…”

“Hyung, I hold her…tear her name, Hyung…”

“Yah Kwang Soo…there’s no need to be hard on her…after all, she’s still a women.”

“Hyung, noona is really strong and tough…you should tear her name now…hurry..she’s not a women, hyung…she’s…angry bird…”

“What did you call me, Kwang Soo??” Ji-hyo starts to kick Kwang Soo and knock his head.

“Hyung, help me, hyung…sorry, noona…I was just joking..”

Kim Jong Kook grab both Ji-hyo’s hand.

“Kwang Soo, go with Haha and find Gary… ppaleun..I’ll handle her..go!! now!!”

Blurry Kwang Soo quickly runs to do as being told.

“Ji-hyo ah…oppa doesn’t want to be harsh to you…so might as well you let oppa tear your name, rather than you keep on fighting to escape.”

 

 

*Announcement: 3 minutes to go

 

 

“Okay, oppa..but let’s wait until the final minute..I will turn my back to you…”

“Yah Ji-hyo ahh…you still want to negotiate at this time? Oppa already let you go twice. Just let me finish my work…”

Ji-hyo struggle to escape from Kim Jong Kook. But of course she fails. Jong Kook pushes her leaning to the wall and their eyes meet. It’s silent moment for both Jong Kook and Ji-hyo in their own world.

(Ji-hyo ah…what have you done to me?)

(Oppa, how long can I handle this feelings?)

Until they heard the next ding dong.

 

 

*Announcement: Gary out. 1 minute to go

 

 

“Ji-hyo…it’s about time.”

“Oppa, did anyone ever told you that you have a very cute eyes?”

“Yahhhh…. Ji-hyo ah…what else is your trick ah??”

“Ahahaha….oppa, really..I never look into your eyes like this…but you are actually cute, and charming…no wonder every girls are screaming over you..” Ji-hyo tries to drag the time until it ends, by saying all the cheeky words.

“All the girls eh…except you right, Ji-hyo?”

And now Ji-hyo goes blank. She lost answer to that question. But that’s actually Jong Kook’s strategy to tear Ji-hyo’s name.

Finally, Kim Jong Kook, Lee Kwang Soo and Haha win.