Chapter 55

Perhaps... Love? / My Love From The Future

‘Dad, are you sure he’d received my message?’ Heejin asked, putting down the transmitter.

Park Dong Hoon pointed at the live feeding screen. ‘Didn’t you see his nod?’

Heejin stared at the image of Luhan from the screen. So focused, so braced for the incoming battle, so calm and controlled, without a hint of panic, not a hint of fear in his eyes. This is the man I love. This is him. She smiled bitterly. But this Luhan felt so distant, so near, yet so far. Why does this feels so familiar?

 

-Flashback-

Luhan pinched her nose teasingly, his smile spreading across his whole face, wrinkling up the corners of his doe-eyes. He pulled her down so she sat across his lap.

‘What is the future like?’ Heejin asked tracing his eyebrows absentmindedly with her finger.

Luhan smiled, his expressions softened and his eyes seeing into some distance as if remembering some happy memories.

‘You’ll like it there.’ He replied simply, tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. His touch sent a wave of butterflies in her stomach.

‘Can I really go?’ She asked and her face fell. Technically she was kind of a ‘mixed-blood’, but logically all these doesn’t even sound the least logical.

Luhan picked up her hand and brought it to his lips. They moved against her fingers as he spoke.

‘You’ll be there, because my future will never be complete without you.’

 

PDH continued to speak while Heejin watched Luhan from the screen. The back of her eyes stung with tears but she clenched her jaws together fighting back the urge to cry. She almost had him memorized. The way he frowns when in thoughts, the way he purse his lips before saying something. And his eyes, how they narrow then widen as if regarding the new guy before him. She realized how much she loved him. How much she missed him even if it has only been an hour and how much this distance actually bothered her.

Her heart wrenched at the blood trails from the gash on his cheek. Even though he didn’t seem the least bothered by that wound, she was.

Will I ever exist in your future?

A soldier walked in at this time. PDH switched off the speaker, and took a wary glance at Heejin then at his man.

‘It’s okay. Speak.’ But there was a certain authority to his tone as if implying something more. Heejin caught that, but pretended to be indifferent.

The man took another glance at Heejin then replied with lowered head. ‘Sir, it is ready.’

It? What is ‘It’?

PDH nodded slightly and waved the man away.

Then he turned to Heejin, his expressions unreadable. Even before he opened his mouth, she has already known what he was going to say. ‘Heejin ah, time to fulfil your promise.’

She took another glance at the screen and squeezed her eyes shut. She couldn’t bear another look at him, the suppressed feeling in her chest felt as if she was drowning, but of course she chose to ignore that. I shouldn’t be here. She took a deep breath, holding back her tears and turned away from the screen. Reaching into her pockets, she took out a folded piece of paper. It was the fallen piece she’d picked up and hidden.

PDH’s eyes widened at the familiar handwriting.

‘Dad, what is this ‘Reverse’ thing?’ Heejin lifted the piece of paper before her face. PDH’s gaze remained unshaken.

‘You don’t have to know.’ Because you cannot know, this is my one last lie to you my daughter. Daddy is sorry.  

Heejin stepped away. ‘Why Dad? What other things did you tell Luhan? What is it that you’re hiding from me?’ Suddenly she was afraid. She was afraid to leave. She turned to the screen. Something tugged at her heart strings.

Why do I feel so uneasy?

Just as the thoughts flashed across her mind, there was a short sharp pain at the small of her neck. She fell forward holding the table for support, a hand covered the spot where the pain was. She whipped her head back to where her dad was, but a wave of dizziness swept her off her feet. There was a loud deafening ringing sound in her ears and her head ached as if someone was continuously pounding against her skull.

‘W…h…y.’

Someone held her arms when she fell back and the last image she saw was a pained expression on her dad’s face, before she gave in to the darkness.

-------

 

**I’ll just use italics followed by respective names to represent talking through the transmitter.

 

Luhan was searching for the missing Kris and that was when he realized that Kris was not in JHJ’s party.

Kai, where is Kris?

He… - Lay

We don’t know. The Association called us back to HQ and then they numbed our senses with some kind of drug in the waiting room. Then we woke up here. – Kai

Luhan bit on his lips. Kris where are you? Don’t tell me… No. NO. no no. that will be impossible.

Just then, Park Dong Hoon appeared with a group of Men in Blacks. And immediately Ji Hyun Jin’s laughter filled the air.

‘You puny useless coward, to think you actually caught my men. Looks like I’ve think too highly of you.’

PDH remained indifferent but at the moment 10 of the men in blacks vanishes like smoke and then reappeared in the air around JHJ but the thing was they were stopped mid-air as if time stopped. It was Tao who stopped them and when he snapped his fingers the 10 men were flung out and away in all directions.

JHJ laughed again and PDH clenched his fists.

‘I didn’t even bother bringing my BLACKARMY (Men in Blacks) because they’re too much a hassle and how easy they were controlled by you. HAHAHA Dong hoon ah, you’ve yet to see what these guys,’ he waved his hand from left to right. ‘Can do.’

Sir, do we charge? Yongguk.

Sir, we’re ready anytime. – Tiffany

No. Not yet. Wait a little longer. – PDH

Just how powerful these GMIs are? It must be good to live like that in the future. How I wish I can take a trip over for holiday. – Dongwoo

Idiot. You have to at least see the time suitable for such lame jokes. – Hoya

Sorry~ - Dongwoo

Is Heejin..? – Luhan

She’s safe. Very safe. Just remember what you’re supposed to do. – PDH

‘HEY HEY HEY HEY, can’t you guys be at least a bit more frightened? C’mon humour me. I’m falling asleep here already.’ JHJ spoke again with a fake yawn after one of the silvered hair boy spoke in his ears. That was Himchan, the one with extra sense of hearing. Beside him Xiumin shifted just slightly but Luhan saw a different look in his eyes. A flicker that looked different compared to the rest. Luhan focused his gaze right at him then he saw another small movement in his eyes. Their gaze locked and Xiumin raised an eyebrow.

He wasn’t controlled. Humans naturally blink every few second and it will be hard to remain a dazed stare. Luhan almost sprang forward but a frown appeared on xiumin’s forehead. Luhan understood immediately what the older male was trying to tell him. To wait, he was also waiting for the right opportunity. Now they couldn’t risk doing any other things because apparently the rest were still controlled.

Luhan saw a hope in this unnerving silent war and then PDH took a short step forward and began talking.

‘Ji Hyun Jin, your greed for power will eventually lead to your downfall.’

The latter laughed even louder, his voice resonated through everyone. In a distance, Kai took a step forward too but Chen stopped him.

‘Those are big empty words in case you haven’t grasped the situation Dong Hoon ah.’

‘Don’t call my name. Traitor.’

‘C’mon, don’t be so stingy. I know you missed me a lot over the years. Right?’

PDH scoffed.

‘What do you want?’

JHJ smirked slyly. ‘You know what I want. Is it that hard to tell? Huh?’ He turned to Lay as if to get a reply but got no response from those dead dazed eyes.

‘And you know it is impossible.’ PDH raised his voice.

‘Nothing is impossible. I will be the one true leader to reign Time.’ Then as if driven by his own insanity, he pulled out something like laser keyboard and typed something. Then Tao dropped to the floor clutching his head and cried out in pain.

‘TAO!’ Luhan cried. That was his carelessness, he’d lost his cool. But how could he keep calm when his brother is crying in pain? Just what exactly was JHJ doing? Jimin and Dongwoo grabbed both his arms till he calmed down. When he shot a look at Xiumin, the latter was nothing but absolutely unmoving. But Luhan saw the clenched fists and looked away hoping he could block out Tao’s cries.

Luhan, calm down. Don’t fall into his trap. – Yongguk

Luhan regained his composure as soon as he heard Yongguk.

And, Himchan over there has excellent long distance hearing. He’s probably tapping into all our conversations. So.. - Yongguk

Enough said. - PDH

Luhan could definitely throw a punch into that smug face but of course he will do nothing that could jeopardize this mission.

JHJ typed something else and pushed the keyboard back into his arm. Luhan watched it disappeared as if transferred back into his skin. He didn’t know that the Association had developed that kind of technology.  And Tao stopped shouting and stood up immediately as if nothing happened.

‘Tao ah Tao. How are you so lucky to have Time Control? It must felt good to control time isn’t it? To dominate time, stop time. Even though you can’t time travel, a skill this level is good enough. Look at me? I am nothing but a mad scientist. I can’t even give myself powers just because my body rejects this stupid genetic process.’ He lifted up the sleeve on one arm revealing skin wrinkled and full of blister-like bumps. From the transmitter, someone gagged.

‘Hyun Jin, you’re completely insane. Using yourself as experiment.’ PDH said, his face clearly full of sadness for the other older man’s self-mutilation.

‘Shut up!’ JHJ shouted, and then his expression changed drastically from anger to that sinister smirk.

‘You can’t stop me.’ He pulled out that keyboard again and typed something. D.O took a step forward and sank his feet into the ground. A big crack extended and stretched all the way to PDH. The small figure had separated the ground.

If this continues, it might even cause an earthquake in the outskirts of Korea.

Luhan reached into his back pocket and felt the cold metal in his palms. He glanced over at PDH standing beside the large deep gap that seemed as though its crack extended all the way to the center of the earth.

The GMIs’ powers, if used the wrong way, were all highly destructive and dangerous. Definitely able to caused disasters. Especially members that possessed powers that utilize the nature’s elements.

One of GOT7 turned to JHJ and said something. Then that mad man laughed again. This time even more excited.

‘KRIS!’ he shouted and Luhan jerked her head up to the sky to see Kris landing easily on his feet with someone in his arms.

JHJ turned to Luhan that smirk never once left his face. ‘Look who’s here.’

Luhan’s eyes widened in horror. That person in Kris arms was none other than Heejin.

‘HEEJIN!’ He called and ran forward but Jimin and Dongwoo grabbed him again. He struggled, his eyes looking only at the unconscious Heejin lying so peacefully against Kris’s body.

‘HEEJIN!’

What happened?! How did this… SIR! - Daehyun

Two of BANGTAN were holding Daehyun back too from running towards Heejin.

Even PDH’s expression changed. There was panic in his expression now.

‘Curious? SURPRISE!’ JHJ clapped in joy. He typed something else and Kris’s hand was holding Heejin by the throat. Both Luhan and Daehyun almost dashed forward again.

‘Surrender or I’ll have to kill her.’ That smirk on his face only made Luhan madder.

‘Luhan I’m sorry. I-‘ PDH’s voice sounded over the transmitter. But that only made Luhan even more agitated than ever. He was struggling too much even Jungkook had to hold him back now. 

‘SHE’S YOUR DAUGHTER TOO. HOW ARE WE EVEN GOING TO WIN LIKE THAT!? HOW CAN YOU LIE TO ME. ISN’T SHE SAFE?!’ Tears fell from Luhan’s eyes. His eyes were getting blurry and he blinked and blinked trying to blink away his useless tears. He couldn’t leave her away from his sight. It was the same fear once again; the fear of losing her.

And without a doubt, JHJ had found his ultimate counter attack. She was their biggest weakness.

‘STOP!’ PDH raised both his hands.

‘Finally surrendering huh?’ JHJ joked. Meanwhile Heejin began waking up in Kris’s grip. And when she found herself only a distance from Luhan, she tried to run but realized how she couldn’t. Kris’s arms wrapped securely around her shoulders, the more she tried the more painful his grip was.

‘Heejin!’ Luhan cried, hitting Dongwoo right in the chin with his clenched fist.

‘Luhan!’ She shouted back but Kris covered immediately.

Everything happened at the same time. Just as JHJ was busy taunting PDH, Xiumin hit Baekhyun at the spot where the chip was supposedly at. That was when Luhan realized Xiumin had frozen everyone else’s feet to the ground, with D.O and Tao totally frozen up to their waists and Chanyeol’s hands too. 

Daehyun landed a hit on Chanyeol before he could melt his hands and tall giant dropped unconscious to the ground.

PDH had a blade on JHJ’s throat now, but somewhere one of the GOT7 landed a powerful blow, that looked something like a flash kick, in Tiffany’s guts and she coughed up blood after falling. Two of BANGTAN had engaged that stray one in battle immediately.

Chen numbed everyone else around JHJ with his long distance lightning electricity and Kai used his remaining strength to Teleport around, hitting the same spot on their necks. His injuries have yet to recover and he knelt down before the unconscious D.O and Tao panting, with Chen holding him by his elbows.

Luhan and Dongwoo were looking at Kris. Xiumin was too far away to use his powers thus Kris was the only one unaffected. Heejin was choking while Kris wrapped his big hand around her slim neck.

‘Kris! Wake up! Let her go! KRIS!’ Luhan tried shouting. His hands were trembling furiously. The agony on Heejin’s face was driving him insane.

In a distance, one BANGTAN GMI had fallen unconscious and Jimin was badly injured. Xiumin only managed to freeze all of EXO but missed 5 of GOT7. Who knew their powers were so unpredictable. Acrobatic-like moves dodging, flipping, spinning over almost all other physical attacks and BANGTAN who specialized more in long rang attacks were getting hurt as the seconds ticked by.

‘Protect Heejin.’ PDH’s voice came over the transmitter but Luhan could’ve guessed what he was going to do. That was the order for that Plan.

Jungkook shot a laser-like arrow right on Kris’s both shoulders and he released Heejin. Luhan used his telekinesis to hold onto Kris just when he was about to take flight, catching Heejin in the process. Then Jimin punched something like a large surge of energy into his guts then Jungkook hit his neck with the blade of his hand and Luhan lowered his hand putting the taller male down to the ground.

When he turned to where PDH was, he witnessed the moment when the older male drove the blade into JHJ’s back. But Luhan saw that the blade in JHJ’s hands was stabbed into the older man’s stomach. PDH turned in his direction and smiled. Taking out the Watch, the two of them vanished into thin air.

Luhan could only stare and was suddenly more conscious of the same Watch he has in his back pocket.

 

-Flashback-

‘Luhan I have a plan. If I can get closer to Ji Hyun Jin in the battle. We’ll be able to stop these once and for all.’

Luhan nodded. ‘Yeah you’ll kill him and everything will stop.’

But Park Dong Hoon nodded his head slightly. ‘I will and I will go back to the future. The rest of the Association will have to know about this. Who knows how many officials he’d corrupted? But it was the best shot we have in regaining balance to this Time and Space. We can’t allow him to do any more harm.’

He lifted up two Pocket Watch in his palms. One being obviously newer as if a replica.

‘I’ve completed analyzing this supposedly failed experiment.’ He lifted up the original Watch. Then he lifted up the replica. ‘Remember how I talked about my failed Time Reset, I’ve finally completed the formula. And I’ve programmed this new one to be the device to allow me to travel back. But only a one time jump. I will not return.’

He looked at Luhan and gave him the original watch.

‘I’ve never regretted being your father. Luhan. I love you just like I love Heejin.’ He looked away avoiding Luhan’s gaze suddenly.

‘You will have to use this to reverse time then. Restore the balance. Of course after doing that, everything in this Time will be back on track with Heejin never have met you. This time she might not remember you at all not even from a dream. You’ll have to leave with the fact that she knew no Luhan.’

Luhan stared at him, dumbfounded written all over his face.

Park Dong Hoon looked into those eyes. He hated to say it but it was for the best of everything.

‘My biggest regret is bringing her into this whole ordeal. At least if she wasn’t here. At least I’ll remain a dead person to her.’

‘Will it change my future too?’ Luhan asked.

‘No it will not. Our future will not change. The only change you can bring about is to have her have no memories of you. The only change you can bring about is her future.’ The last sentence rang in Luhan’s ears.

‘I’m asking you to change the future, her future. This is an order.’

 

Luhan blinked when a surge of energy flew by his ears. It was chaotic everywhere. His comrades were falling. But he was too late. Heejin had taken the blow. She’d sacrificed herself while he was foolishly distracted. The energy he felt was what remained after striking Heejin. He couldn’t even speak. Even when Kai and Chen had caught the GOT7 GMI who administered that move, he couldn’t say a word.

No sound came from his throat. His hands shook when he looked into those half closing eyes of hers. He couldn’t even cry now. Look at what I’ve done.

‘I’m sorry.’ He finally managed, his eyes already dry from his non-existent tears and Heejin coughed once as if to say something. Then he lifted up closer and kissed her. His kiss was needy, deep and his lips trembled. He kissed her as if it’d meant the last time he would ever get to do that. He’d blocked out all the other noise he was hearing. Right here right now, they belong together in their own little bubble. He had her lips memorized and he felt her cold finger tips as she reached up to touch the gash on his cheek. Heejin blinked a drop of tear from the corner of her eye, her breath hitched.

Luhan squeezed her hand. Somewhere in the field someone called his name, maybe Daehyun, but he didn’t care. Some explosion happened in a distance but he ignored.

He doesn’t want anything to destroy this moment. He realized this was his choice. He had a choice.

‘I’m sorry.’ He said again brushing his trembling lips against her pale lips. ‘I love you.’

My future will never be complete without you. Your future will never include me.

And he pressed the latch on the Pocket Watch. 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is finally coming to an end now. the final chapter will be up tomorrow or maybe sometime later...

After a whole year. Be it if you're a silent reader or not, you guys are definitely my most precious subscribers, friends, supporters and my source of encouragement. Thankyou so so so much for staying, for following this fic all the way to its end. Thankyou all i love you guys as much as Luhan loves Heejin. ;3; <3<3<3

My new fic is still in the development stages. But I have a poll in my profile for the main character. HAHAHA please go and cast a vote! ^^ Tharanghae~ Wo Ai Ni Men. I love you all!~ Aieruyo~