Chapter 20

Perhaps... Love? / My Love From The Future

 

The heavy books was almost forgotten at the foot of her study desk. She had been doodling non stop on her sketch pad waiting for inspirations to kick in. But knowing the fact that Luhan was under the same roof distracted her so much that she'd had his name written all over the new page. 

Futuristic. The thought that Luhan came from the future doesn't exactly helped with her brainstorming. Not as if he appeared with a pair of extra hands or grow antenas above his head. But probably his very deliciously crafted face might be a possible trait of future beings. She mused at the idea but dumped that idiocy to the back of her head. 

She removed her headphones after the song 'Man In Love' by Infinite ended. There was a sudden thought, that either Luhan or her brother could fully qualify to become a member of some popular idol group, occurred to her. She shrugged. 'They are probably too old for that idol stuffs.' 

There was the sound of a football match from the tv console in the living room. She strained her ears but hear nothing but the loud cheerings from probably thousands of football fans. Then she rolled her eyes realizing that her brother probably refused to talk to her bring-home 'boyfriend'. 

 

Luhan was seated on the couch, his body leaned forward and his elbows on his lap. It was especially breathtaking to look at, with his chin resting on the back of his crossed hands. He was watching the tv with a frown but looked up at once when he saw Heejin in the corner of his eye. The girl of course went flustered for a short second and cleared awkwardly. 'Where did oppa go?' she glanced into the kitchen but see no one. 

Luhan straightened up and stood up before answering. mmm manners.. 

'He went out 5 minutes ago to get some juice for tomorrow's breakfast. Your room was locked and there was no reply when he knocked, we thought you were asleep.' He explained as if he was reporting something important. Heejin figured it could be some form of a habit and wondered what does he actually do in the other world. Kill? She flinched a little at the thought. 

Heejin nodded but didn't know what to say next. Suddenly it had became awkward between the two of them but of course it was still definitely one-sided. Her eyes darted around the room and jerked a thumb towards the kitchen behind her. 'Err...water?' 

The dashing smile returned. 'Sure.' and he followed after her towards the dining table. 

Heejin was aware of Luhan's eyes on her as she poured the empty glasses with shaky hands. She was trying so much just to control her breathing. It was weird yet exciting at the same time. She should make use of this time while her brother was out. Just when she was done she took a glance at the wall clock. 20:40. Her brother should be back around nine if he walked normally. That gave her another fifteen minutes at least to have a good conversation with that doll-like man behind her. 

She placed the glass carefully infront of him and sat down in the opposite chair before taking a quick sip of water. Nobody talked, only the ongoing match could be heard in the background. Heejin traced her nervous fingers round the rim of the glass and took a deep breath. That caught Luhan's attention as he lifted his head and stared right into her eyes. 

To him, it was only polite to look into someone's eyes to show that you're paying attention. But to her, it was like her insides melted like ice cream in the instant his gaze found hers. 

However, it was him who began speaking first. 'The match I was watching, football,' Heejin watched as a crease formed on his forehead, and resisted the urge to touch it. '20 people chasing an air inflated ball. We don't play that at all. Maybe only people living Downtown...' There was a certain saddness in the way in said 'people'. He stopped and remembered something, a slow smile formed on his lips as his gaze fell on his glass of water. 

'Imagine the twelve of us playing it. I'm 200% sure the ball won't be in it's original shape by the time the game ended.' But soon that smile faded and was replaced by an expression clearly miserable. Heejin felt as though someone punched a needle right through her heart. No matter how glad or lucky she felt to have this work-of-art in her home, the fact that he didn't belong here was more than saddness.

'Is there no other way to go back?' Heejin asked, even though the thought itself made her helpless, but again it was inevitable. He would have to leave eventually. You'll get past it, pretend he is one of your idols.

Luhan did not look up but he shrugged and inhaled deeply while reaching into his pockets. 'As of now, this is...or was the only way to return.' then he placed the gold Watch on the table top with a soft thud. 

Heejin reached over and gave the top latch an un-necessary forceful press. The top cover sprang easily open revealing the clock inside. The time had stopped at 3. The hour and minute hand forming a perfect 90 degrees angle. Luhan looked at it for a while, this was actually the first time he examined it closely after its 'grand' opening in the middle of the school courtyard. He touched the communicator on his wrist and realised something for the first time. 

'It stopped when you threw it at me this afternoon.' 

Heejin gasped. However, her reaction was not exactly due to Luhan's words, but at the words engraved on the back of the golden top cover. It was a quote carved in small cursive and italic fonts. 

Time is the longest distance between two places. 

She stared at it dazed and confused, unable to speak for what seemed like a long time. Luhan noticed since she gasped and was waiting rather anxiously for her to say something. He was about to ask when he saw that her face turned almost as pale as paper. He stood up at once as she pushed out of her chair abruptly and half ran towards the small cupboard the tv console was resting on. In the background, someone had scored a goal in the football match, but Heejin was too frantically digging through her stuffs to even care. 

Luhan picked up the controller and turned the tv off. Watching her backview doesn't do any good to calm him down too. The feeling returned, the feeling that he didn't knew existed until a few hours ago; fear. 

'Hee..jin?' Chanyeol walked through the front door right then and saw the mess Heejin had created on the floor around her. She was rummaging through their old photo albums and diaries and some old school DVDs when she finally stopped at the last drawer on the left. She'd found what she was looking for. Chanyeol stared at Luhan, who too have no idea what she was doing. Dropping the grocery, he walked over to see what she was holding in her hand. 

Heejin tried to control her breathing, taking two deep breaths slowly. That didn't stopped her hands from shaking even when there was a small cut on her index finger, fresh blood was oozing out of the wound. But she seemed to have no concern over something that insignificant. 

'You've been looking for this?' There was an edge to Chanyeol's voice, more bewilderment and angst. 

Heejin brushed the partially burnt leather cover of the old diary with her finger tips. She turned around, lips parted. She wanted to say something, but held them back. For she noticed the hopeful glint in his beautiful eyes.

Chanyeol took a few steps back and watched with a quizzical look as Heejin handed the diary they most treasured to someone who doesn't belong to the family. It was something that they refused to read or more of being afraid to whatever they would uncover. They thought it was the best they could do to respect the privacy of their deceased father and that book, was the only thing recovered from the site of the accident.

'There is something going here and I have no idea of.' He muttered but he knew it was audible to the both of them. However, neither of them reacted to that. He sighed softly and leaned against the nearest wall. 

'Why?' Luhan took the book in his hands and frowned, dumbfounded by her actions. Heejin took a step forward and pointed at something on the lowest right hand corner of the leather cover. 

Luhan's eyes widened and made his way to the kitchen table. Picking up the Watch, he gasped in surprise and maybe a hint of horror. He turned around and caught Chanyeol's intense gaze, Heejin however stared at her toes with an unreadable expression. 

'What exactly is happening here?' Chanyeol asked as he straightened from the wall and turn to his sister. 'Why did you give him that?' He pointed a finger at the equally puzzled Luhan. 

Heejin shrugged and sat down quietly on the couch, her eyes still on the ground. She didn't know what to think anymore, this could be more than just pure coincidence.

Luhan placed the two items side by side and inhaled deeply, probably at some point his eyes regained its glitter but when he looked at Heejin, he didn't feel exactly happy than he should be. 

For now, he had to know why the same initial P.DH was carved both onto the book and the Watch. 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Omg thankyou new subscribers and a precious upvote!!!! /confetti throwing ceremony/