Chapter 21

Perhaps... Love? / My Love From The Future

 

Heejin's voice shook as Chanyeol stood beside her. Too still. He was standing too still. He was trying to process whatever his sister had told him. 

On the other hand, Luhan was staring at the two items in his hands. The initials could only mean that they belonged to the same person. 

'You're saying that he's from the future.' Chanyeol inhaled deeply and his gaze fixated on the other man. Heejin pushed past him to Luhan's side. Squeezing her eyes shut, she knew her tears were already falling. Nonetheless, she hasn't got a good feeling about this. 

'P.DH.' She began, fighting back the urge to breakdown. 'Park. Dong. Hoon. The initials of my father.' 

Both males gasped at the same time at the surprising piece of news. Chanyeol took three big steps towards the couple and took the Watch from Luhan's hand. His eyes widened in horror. 

'I've seen that before.' He said and grabbed the diary from Luhan's unmoving hands. The other male was too much taken aback. There was a series of thoughts running wild in his mind. That Watch, which Chanyeol held so tightly now, was something his father left him with. His thoughts were interrupted when Chanyeol opened the old diary at a particular page. There was a sketch of the same Watch. A series of incomprehensible math calculations sprawled across the page around the particular sketch.

Heejin's eyes widened in surprise. 'How did you..'

'I accidentally saw it when it fell from the table the day after we got it from the police. I didn't bother reading it because we've kept a promise to each other for keeping dad's things or research a secret.' Chanyeol explained, his expression hardening significantly at the memory.

Heejin cringed at the thought.

It was Luhan who spoke next. He was still trying to process the whole deal of information. Is this fate? Meeting her, coming here, unable to return. What scary secrets are to be exposed next? He flinched at that very thought.

'What were your parents' jobs?' His voice sounded shaky and hoarse to his ears. Heejin met his gaze again but looked away. She found it hard to face him. What was the watch about? What was the link? 

'They were research professors at the science faculty in the nation's most prestigious University research centre.' Chanyeol replied softly, noticing the expression on his sister. 

Luhan squeezed his eyes shut. He knew it would be wrong to probe. But he has to get to the bottom of this matter. If their parents had had something to do with his father. He shut off his own thoughts. 

'How did they die?' His voice was softer. In the corner of his eye Heejin flinched again. He looked away so that she was out of his field of vision. He was finding it hard to face her suddenly. There was an unpleasant feeling somewhere deep in his heart. He swallowed his own shudders and straightened his shoulders. 

Chanyeol was about to throw a punch in the other male's face. Is he that stupid to not notice how much hurt he was causing Heejin?! But again, if he was really from the future and this Watch, he took a look at the gold piece and inhaled deeply in a successful attempt to control his anger, could be the key. It wouldn't be surprising if their parents had built that thing. 

'Their car exploded in the highway on their way home from the research centre. According to forensics, there was a leak in the car's oil compartment that shortwired the engine and caused the unfortunate explosion. Their bodies disintergrated completely upon impact. This, was all that they could find that was in acceptable condition.' 

Chanyeol's voice shook as he recalled. The fact that he couldn't even see their parents for the last time still bothered him as much as Luhan bothered him now. 

'Disintergrated.' Luhan repeated under his breath. There was a thought, a sudden horrifying thought in his mind. He found himself looking at Heejin, who was so silent he almost forgotten about her existence. Her tears were still falling. Something tugged at his heart strings again. He didn't know why but he wanted to give her a hug. To tell her that the Watch has nothing to do with her parents, that he has nothing to do with her parents. 

'You still kept a picture of your parents right?' Luhan's voice was breaking. He felt as though someone had poured a whole pile of sand down his throat. He felt as though he could throw up. He was looking at Heejin when he said that. She didn't raise her head. The fact was, she didn't know what to think. She knew what he was getting at. She was in love with him. She feared about whatever possibilities that could come next. She wanted to run, away from home, futher away, to his planet, to the time and space he belonged. A place where there could only be the two of them. She gulped at tears streamed down her face to the ground forming big droplets at her feet. She couldn't look up, she doesn't have the strength to do that. 

'We kept all of them.' Chanyeol replied simply. He thought this could be the cue for Luhan to stop. His heart wrenched as he watched the small frame of his sister by his side. She was trembling, her small hands balled into tight fist. So tight her knuckles were turning white from pressure. He grabbed her hand protectively but she pushed his hand away. 

Finally, she wiped her tears with the back of her hand and raised her head. 

Luhan's eyes bore into hers, screaming of horror and bewilderment. 'Wait.' Her voice sounded terrible. She turned and dragged her feet back to her room leaving the two guys behind. She could feel their gazes on her back, but she ignored them. Her legs shook uncontrollably, it took her all her strength to make it to her desk before she supported herself with her equally shaky arms. 

Taking another deeper breath, she wiped the remaining tears away from her swollen eyes. They were starting to hurt, and her vision was all blurry. Her trembling fingers traced the drawers of her desk as she caught sight of the reference book on the desk. It lay peacefully, ignorantly on the wooden desk. So innocent and unknowing. Futuristic. She almost managed a scoff. How foolish. 

Then she opened the lowerest drawer and pulled out her old diary. She opened the front cover and saw the black and white photo of her parents, in their dashing white coat and beautiful smiles. Her father's loving hand around her mother as she smiled equally as blissfully as the man she so loved. 

Her trembling fingers traced over their joyous faces before she took it carefully in her hand and made her way out. Her tears had stopped but she was hoping for a miracle. Maybe it was just a rather alive imagination of theirs. It couldn't be as atrocious as those movies out there. She assured herself as the males were in her sight again. 

She stretched her hand towards Luhan. The photo shook significantly in her shaky hand as Luhan received it from her. Nobody said a word. The silence was too frightening. 

Chanyeol wrapped an arm over Heejin's shoulder and felt her slight trembles. His expression tightened as he watched the other male. Luhan flipped the photo over. 

When his sight was in focus, he couldn't say a word. His memory was fuzzy but he was sure that he could still recognize his own father. His lips parted as the photo shook in his hands. He wanted to say something but nothing came. That was when he realized that his world has officially fallen apart. His heart slowly crumbling at the inevitable truth. Or probably he refused to believe it. 

He wanted to lie. But he couldn't do it. All of a sudden, his feelings has gone clearer than ever. 

It was unforgivable, atrocious, wrong and horrible. 

Why did he had to understand it now? He remembered the slow smile on his father's face. Is this all a sick joke?

He looked up and met Heejin's gaze. Her eyes were hopeful, too hopeful. He didn't even know that he could cry. A teardrop has fallen from the brim of his eye. He forced an unsuccessful smile. He couldn't do it. 

Not when he was in love with his own sister.