Chapter 41

Perhaps... Love? / My Love From The Future

 

'Are you sure about this?' Yongguk put on his pair of glasses, his best form of disguise.

'Do I look like im kidding?' Luhan put on his own pair of lens-less specs.

‘Hairstyle change too?’ Yongguk pinched a strand of Luhan’s blonde hair when the other male lightly slapped his stray hand away. ‘Don’t get jealous.’

Yongguk arched a corner of his lips at his remark. ‘And what is it that we enrolled in? Astronomy?’ He twirled the reference book on the tip of his index finger effortlessly and raised an eyebrow this time.

'Isn't that what we're best at?' Luhan tucked his hands into his pants without even looking at the other male, fact was he had something more important in his mind.

Finally. When can I see you again…

 

‘Are you going to eat lunch with me today?’ Heejin rolled her eyes at how there was no limit to Daehyun’s cheesiness.

‘We’ll see about it.’ She giggled and just as she was about to hang up, Daehyun’s voice came through her phone again.

‘Heejin ah!’

‘Uhuh?’

She heard him take a deep breath and there was a silence. A silence that caused her heart to skipped a cautious beat. She was half skipping across the school courtyard when she slowed down her pace.

She was suddenly nervous and somehow already got an idea of what he was about to say. But she had no way to stop it, because she simply can’t. She knew how there was no way to escape anymore. She had to face it now, sadly.

No matter how she’d felt, how absurd everything still seemed to her

‘Wh..what is it? Hello? Dae-‘

‘Heejin ah,’ His voice was soft, a tad slower than ever. There was a sudden commotion going on around her.

‘Daehyun ah? Dae-‘ She frowned when there was no sound from the other side of the line, the commotion got louder and she brushed her hair to a side, lifting up her head in the process.

‘-hyun…’ her voice trailed off together with the drowning sounds of excitements from the other students who had already gathered around her.

She lowered the phone in her slightly trembling hand, away from her ear. Like a scene from a movie, Daehyun stood a few feet away with a large helium balloon in the hand he held his phone and a large bouquet of roses in another.

He smiled. A dazzling smile that of course, brought more envious reactions from the females in the crowd. He waved his phone in the air and brought it to his ear, his eyes never once left hers.

She mimicked his actions and held in a large breath of air while waiting for him to speak.

He pointed a finger at the balloon above and chuckled charmingly. Her eyes followed the directions of his finger and gasped.  

Just as the big bolded fonts on the balloon said, the male spoke in his best gentle voice.

‘Will you be mine?’

Heejin stared at the male before her, so sincerely rooted to the spot, her own thumping heart beat echoed in her ears deafeningly.

What do I do?

Meanwhile the other students cooed in unison, clapping and cheering. ‘ACCEPT IT! ACCEPT IT!’ But none of their voices got through to her. She didn’t move a single step. Her legs were in fact, unfortunately frozen.

The pressure of his hopeful eyes on her, witnessed by so many onlookers didn’t do her any good at all. She dragged her left leg half a step back.

Should I run?

Then she took a small contradicting step forward.

Should I go to him?

The smile on Daehyun’s face was almost gone by now as he watched the trembling steps she took. She had averted her gaze.

He sighed.

Heejin took a deep breath as she glanced at the excited faces of all the other students, some already left, losing interest of this small episode that happened in their mundane school lives.

She squeezed her eyes shut and whispered some inaudible words.

I’ll go to him. It’s time to move on.

 

When she opened her eyes again, instead there were two other figures standing between them.

There was a sting at the back of her eyes as her gaze fell immediately at the one nearest to herself. His hands tucked in his pants, a leather backpack hang casually from his right shoulder. His doe-like eyes flickered under the sunlight.

It was him, probably the difference in hair colour. But he was the same.

Her lips parted slightly, trying to say something but no sound came out. Slowly, beyond control, her legs brought her forward, a small step at a time, a short distance at a time, until she was an arm’s length away from him.

Her gaze never once left his. Even when the warm tears fell from the brim of her eyes, a single bead at a time, she dared not blink.

She was afraid to. She couldn’t.

Her trembling fingers found themselves to his face. The first touch sent a jolt of electricity down her very spine. But she didn’t even flinch, letting her hand move on its own, removing that spectacle frame from his face, tracing his features with her finger tips that had now turned cold. She had fought back her tears, trying to memorize the shape of his nose, the small scar below his lower lips. She didn’t have time to cry.

Not now.

Her breathing was hitched, almost breathless but she couldn’t pull away.

They only had eyes for each other.

Even if the confused muffles continued to resound around them, they had ignored them perfectly. Even if Yongguk, who had now took a few awkward steps back, cleared his throat, and even when Daehyun, who had let the big helium balloon wander away into the vast blue skies and dropped the bouquet, was about to trudge towards them but mercilessly stopped by Yongguk, they didn’t once dropped their intense gazes.

She absentmindedly brushed a loose tear away from his cheeks, feeling the moisture on the tip of her thumb. He smiled a little and took a small short breath.

That smile.

That was the smile she loved. The smile she remembered. Even if this dream was going to last for just this moment, she was going to salvage it for as long as he was here. She blinked once and got a small panic attack. But almost heaved a sigh of relieve when he was still around.

‘Lu…ha..n’ Her voice was husky and slightly hoarse when the words finally escaped her lips.

He nodded into her palm and smiled brightly, his eyes turning into beautifully curved lines with those lovable smile-wrinkles in their corners.

Her heart skipped a real beat.

This was so right. It felt so right to be here. She felt so right to be here, with him. He cupped her face with his big warm hands and she looked deeper into those hazel eyes. She could almost see herself in them.

This isn’t a dream right?

‘This isn’t a dream.’

He tapped the frown that creased on her forehead away gently and answered her unspoken question.

There were so many words she wanted to say, but her mind had already gone blank. She was trying so hard to fill it with his perfect face that she almost stopped her own breathing. Not until he chuckled melodiously reminding her. ‘Breathe.’ She complied obediently, taking a deep breath only to end it with a cracked chuckle.

 

Stephen Chbosky was right.

In that moment, she swore they were infinite.

 

‘I missed you.’

‘Me too.’ 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

I know you guys could've killed me for this super late update. ide. I kind of fell into a slump when the first draft of this chapter got lost in the vast unreadable codes of the computer. okay ignore me. hahaha But anyway I hope you guys liked this chapter! :D Btw Stephen Chbosky incase some of you didn't know, is the author for Perks Of Being A Wallflower.