Chapter 38

Perhaps... Love? / My Love From The Future

1 month later

 

EXOPLANET

B.A.P and EXO had already signed the treaty concerning their unionization, unfortunately, not without a price. Even though B.A.P traveled back as soon as possible but their Generator failed sooner than expected. The sudden explosion killed almost every household in the 5 mile radius, leaving their total population to only less than 50 when they didn’t even have much to begin with.

Of course, EXO helped with almost everything. Their communications with the Association were more frequent than before. And with the help of the Association, the remaining people of MATO settled safely within Downtown while a new wing was built specially for B.A.P together with EXO’s home base.

‘The more the merrier.’ Lay would say. Apparently this kind young man had found his new catchphrase, similarly the other members were bonding all too well with their new family members.

From 12 to 18 boys.

The more the merrier indeed.

 

These days, Yongguk would join Luhan at his usual ‘hideout’. The roof always seemed more calm and peaceful while the Milky Way in a distance remained unchanging, mysterious.

Luhan stared at the huge ring of sparkly whiteness, flicking and closing the Pocket Watch in one hand. Now that it could be opened effortlessly, that made Luhan even bitter than before. There was a lot going on in his mind, the one that made up the most of his memory bank was her without a doubt.

‘Thinking of her again?’ Yongguk asked, sitting down.

‘Is it that obvious?’ Luhan made a face and sighed, finally closing his tired eyes.

‘You know you can just take a nap or something right? Himchan and the rest were already making their rounds and BaekYeol were almost 24/7 ready for any news from the Association. I will wake you up immediately once anything came up.’ Yongguk sighed too and frowned at the other male.

Luhan opened his eyes and sat up in one swift motion and began levitating the Watch above his palm. But the fact was, he knew that the other male meant well. But he couldn’t sleep. Even if he could, he would wake up feeling even worse than he already was.

‘You don’t understand.’ He finally said after seeing the defeated look on Yongguk.

‘Then you should say something.’

Luhan sighed again and lied down again, resting his head on one of his hand while the other continued with his telekinesis trick. Just briefly, he closed his eyes and the image of her came up in an instant and he opened his eyes again.

‘Whenever I close my eyes, I see her. She’s everywhere, occupying my every thought. Every cell in my body misses her. I miss her. And the screwed up truth that I might never be able to return scares me like hell. To think hell might be a better place for me now.’

Yongguk only looked at him with the same bitter look, because there was nothing he could do too. They have been waiting for Association’s orders for almost weeks since the last meeting. For the fact that they’ve mostly been giving orders for the new immigrants, they were once so eager for Luhan’s information. But now it was like they threw away some tool that was no longer of use to whatever messed up project they were working on.

‘You must be thinking I’m nothing but stupid.’ 

‘Why would I be? Technically she is half a future kid,’ Yongguk snapped his fingers together and raised an eyebrow. ‘Her dad, Park Dong Hoon belongs here but went over and met someone in that time. So he had already changed something in the Time Gap, or whatever the Association calls.’

‘So what? I can’t even bring her back. You know they haven’t developed that type of technology yet. To begin with, I can’t even leave!’ Luhan sat up and ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. He hated feeling helpless. He hated having to deal with the hard facts. He hated being different and he hated himself for existing here.

Thank the gods the other Luhan was in a coma. If not, he might even stab himself if Luhan no.2, technically no.1 because he existed first, got to her.

The whole ordeal with the Association was stressing him up more than usual. After all the information he gave about his short trip back to the past, they suddenly decided it was time to stop communicating with him.

So much for curiosity.

__________________________

EARTH (2013)

 

It has been a month. A whole month. Heejin had caught up with most of her studies and of course she was halfway through her Futuristic final year project.

Futuristic huh. She shrugged a little. She would be lying if that short coma didn’t affect her. Hexagons and more hexagons, she would wake up in the middle of the night calling his name, in tears.

Chaeri even suggested therapy but she refused. That was for people who are mentally unstable. She wasn’t. She was just having a hard time adjusting. The only solution she came up with was to made him part of her project, for the whole month of reality had finally sunk in.

He existed, only in her dreams.

‘Penny of your thoughts?’ Daehyun asked before taking a sip of her drink. Heejin pushed him lightly.

‘Didn’t you have your own drink?’ She made a face at the happy male. Of course he was happy. Why wouldn't he be? When Heejin finally decided he was safe to be within her 1 metre radius, he was so overjoyed that he had spun her around, but of course regretting the next because Heejin had slapped him again. He smiled at the memory for it was all worthwhile afterall.

‘Yours taste better.’ He smiled, his eyes curved into crescents.

Heejin rolled her eyes but chuckled along. ‘Whatever.’

‘I’ll pick you up later?’ He asked again and took a look at the time on his phone. ‘Your class is starting.’

Heejin took one last sip of her Americano and grabbed her bag at the same time.

‘No goodbye kiss?’ Daehyun pouted while poking his left cheek invitingly.

Heejin noticed how the other students, especially females, were watching their little moment. She wouldn’t deny that Daehyun was very good looking but she doesn’t approve of his outfit these days; black leather jacket, black wife beater, black jeans and not for getting his black boots and sunglasses.

‘Can’t you just dress normally?’ She grumbled half tugging him out of the café.

Daehyun made a sound that could be classified as a boyish whine, but a playful smirk appeared the next moment as he hooked Heejin’s arm to his. Heejin didn’t resist that, her hand rested on his arm naturally. She was slowly getting used to having him around.

The reality was sinking in.

‘You have no idea how jealous they all are.’ He said while jerking a thumb to the girls who turned around when they walked past.

Heejin rolled her eyes again and gave him an elbow in his ribs.

‘Really, no goodbye kiss?’ He asked again when they were at the foot of the stairs. Heejin stepped a step up so they were eye level with each other. Then she sighed in defeat and wrapped her arms around his neck.

‘You know I can’t do that. Not yet.’ She said softly and felt him patting her back lightly, telling her with his actions that it was okay.

‘I know. I can wait.’ He replied before she lightly pushed him away.

‘See you later.’ She said and climbed up the stairs without another glance. When she heard him walking away, she turned back and sighed at the empty spot.

But when she turned around again to continue up the second flight of stairs, déjà vu struck her.

She remembered this flight of stairs, the same flight of stairs - the location where they first met. The overwhelming sense of familiarity was scary and confusing to her at the same time. Even if her mind was rationalizing this as what the doctor called as the aftermath, her heart was reacting to this space right here right then.

The image of his dimly illuminated face, his lips, nose… him lying in her arms…

How did I forget this?

Her legs gave way and she collapsed onto the cold hard ground. Clutching the helm of her dress she realized that warm moisture was already falling off her cheeks.

It isn’t real. This isn’t real. But why did it hurt so much?

Her phone rang in her bag and she struggled with trembling hands, trying to pick up the call. It was Chaeri. She sniffled and brought the phone to her ears. Her legs were numb and she knew she needed help to get up at the moment, or out of her own confused heart.

‘Where are you??’ Chaeri asked.

‘Chaeri ah..’ Heejin tried but her voice was hoarse.

‘WHAT HAPPENED? WHERE ARE YOU? ARE YOU IN SCHOOL? WHERE’S DAEHYUN?’

‘Chaeri ah.. I… I… I don’t know why but.. I…I… don’t know why I’m crying.’ Her lips trembled as she stared at the ground with wide eyes, but no matter how much she tried, she wouldn’t stop crying. The tears just continued falling and she inhaled deeply, using all her strength to hold them back. 

Chaeri was frantic over the phone. Heejin heard her apologizing to the teacher and knew she would eventually find her here.

There was an indescribable suppressed feeling in her chest, as if someone was trying to suffocate her. Her mind was all messed up.

I’ve been taking this stairs for weeks, why now?

She buried her face into her hand when the voice of someone familiar was finally heard.

‘HEEJIN AH! WHAT HAPPENED?!’ Chaeri came running down the stairs and dropped down before her, shaking her lightly, pulling her hands away so she could see the other girl’s face.

‘What happened?’ Chaeri asked again, softer now. Heejin only shook her head while the feeling of suppression and heartache continued. It was much much worse than what she felt when she found out about her parent’s death. It was like she died, a part of her died.

‘What am I supposed to do?’ She cried and crashed into Chaeri’s embrace, burying her face into the other girl's shoulder. Somehow Chaeri has already got an idea what happened and she only sighed while patting the crying girl lightly.  

‘Hush. Heejin ah, it’s okay. You’re going to be fine. You’ll be fine. It’s gonna be okay. You’ll be okay.’

 

BAD MAN!  Who the hell are you to do this to me?!