Chapter 31

Perhaps... Love? / My Love From The Future

‘Wait. So Luhan hyung was adopted?’Kai was the first to react to the shocking piece of news while everyone else couldn't think of anything to say.

‘Or stolen?’ Sehun muttered unthinkingly under his breath but Lay had heard it and narrowed his eyes.

It was Chanyeol’s loud inhaling sound that broke the silence. ‘I think you guys are forgetting that I’ve lost the Watch.’

Kris walked over and began searching through the messy desk for the metal piece only to end up empty handed. Sehun was finally doing better at giving the right reaction. Putting his hands on his head he muttered a 'Oh-My-God'. It was like the truth finally sunk in now.

‘So how the hell do you think we can get hyung back without it? Toss you over a cliff?’ Kai snapped sarcastically at the taller and supposedly older male who now had his shoulders slouched with the same flabbergasted expression.

It was like everyone had turned mute, the room went silent again that Chanyeol’s ears were ringing. ‘Is it possible that it went back to hyung on its own?’ His voice was soft and ashamed, after all he just took a second off of it and then it was gone. Most of this was his fault, so he thought. His palms were sweating and he was afraid to touch anything at the moment for he might set something on fire. 'I mean it could be possible we don't-' 

‘Is there anything that documented a manual for that device?’ Xiumin butted in midway while he flipped through a thick stack of documents marked with red exclamation marks.

‘N…o…. what the hell?’ Chanyeol was about to reply when suddenly something moved in the corner of his eye. A distorted outline of the Watch began taking form on the same spot it was on the desk.

Now Chanyeol could absolutely be sure that it wasn’t his eyes playing tricks. Everyone else was staring at the piece in astonishment while it stabilized and stopped when it transformed from distortedly translucent to now the actual thing.

‘What just happened? It was like it de-molecularized itself and then reformed.’ Yongjae couldn’t believe what he’d just saw and instead he was hoping Yongguk or anyone else could give him an answer.

‘Is it going to disappear again?’ Chen asked taking a curious step forward to take a closer look.

Chanyeol reached out to touch it with his finger but Jongup stopped him with his sudden raised voice. ‘What if it disappears again?’

 ‘Then we’ll find out.’ In a split second, Kai was across the room and then the Watch was on his palm. Nobody even had the time to react but nothing happened eventually. The Watch was just a piece of old metal sitting still on the younger male's palm. 

‘Looks like we’ll gonna be disappointed.’ He said putting the Watch down and matter-of-factly dusted his hands off of invisible dirt. The fact was, he secretly heaved a sigh of relieve. 

‘So it’s back. I guess we can continue with our…’ Kris did a circular motion with his finger directed at random stacks of papers with a shrug.

‘Take care of it, notify me immediately when there is any abnormalities. It could be possible that it was reacting to whichever electromagnetic forces from the other side. We don’t know anything yet. Just keep an eye on it.’ It was Xiumin this time pointing a finger in the direction of the Watch with an unreadable expression. Then his gaze flickered to Yongguk and had a seemingly silent exchange with their eyes.

‘Sehun, Kai move out. We’re going back to Park Dong Hoon’s apartment.’

Meanwhile Yongguk contacted Himchan through his communicator and said the same. 

--------

 

Luhan was back in his own apartment. Leaning against the window sills staring blankly into the dark. 

'What do you think you're doing?' he ruffled his hair in frustration but he couldn't quite erase the image of Heejin crying from his mind. That, was literally drowning him from the inside out. 

Suddenly there something shifted in a corner and his gaze quickly flickered to where it came from. His hands balled into fist at the darkness, senses heightened. Intruder?

The thing moved again and this time he'd caught sight of it just all the more confused him. It was his Watch, slightly illuminated by the street lights outside his apartment. It was like it has gone distorted for a split second and then went still again. 

His hands relaxed as he moved closer to its location. There wasn't anymore weird distortion from the piece of metal. A thought crossed his mind. Could it be that his guys back home had found a way to contact him? 

Excited, he switched on the small table lamp and flipped open the old diary. Striking off the supposingly mistake line, he wrote a new one beneath it. 

You guys couldn't possibly have the Watch, it has been here all along. Foolish of me but don't worry, I'll be fine.

Just as he closed his diary, his phone rang in his pockets. It was an unknown number. 

There was only two person who had his number. Who could this be? 

He picked it up and waited for the person on the other end to speak. 

There was a long silence but he could hear the sound of traffic in the background. 'I know you're listening. It's okay if you don't want to speak. Spy? Alien? Whoever, you have the right to remain silent but there is just one simple question. Who the hell are you?! Lu. Han.' 

He recognise the voice. They've just parted hours ago, rather unpleasantly. Suddenly his nerves were hyped and it was GMI Luhan again, wary of his surroundings. He admit that he was being too laid back here in this world.

'Daehyun.' He said, his voice deep but almost a whisper. 

'Who are you?' Daehyun asked again, harsher. 

'What have you found out?' Luhan returned the question with another careful question. He was standing so still and the Watch was already in his hand, he was clutching it defensively.

There was a short breath of laughter from the other line of the phone and Daehyun inhaled deeply, his tone sarcastic. 'Oh you have no idea. I have found out so damn much but none. Ha. None about you. It's like you don't exist. Yet, you do.' 

Luhan frowned at his words. Did he gave himself away on their first meeting? What had Daehyun found out about him? What was his job exactly? 

'We should have a talk.' 

'Damn right we should.' Daehyun almost snapped. 'I'll meet you in 10. No games played. Your house.' Then the phone went dead leaving Luhan in the middle of the room not sure what to expect.

Should he reveal?

Of course, he wasn't panicking but just confused how things worked here. Everything should be more civilized, controlled and careful. So he should be, towards Daehyun. Towards whatever he'd found out about his inexistance. But to solve it there was only one way. That, is to tell him the truth.