Chapter 23

Perhaps... Love? / My Love From The Future

 

Heejin blinked her eyes open finally. She remembered herself being awake some time ago, or rather a day ago. Almost as immediately, two heads popped into her field of vision. When her sight finally focused, she realised that Luhan wasn't one of them. Instead, someone from a long time ago has returned. 

'JUNG DAE HYUN!?' Her voice was a few octaves higher. Thank god the ward wasn't occupied with other patients, she could've gotten another wave of unwanted attention. Trying to sit up, she realized that her head still hurt. 

'Are you okay?' Both her brother and the other male said at the same time. She managed a weak smile and sat up with the help of her brother. 

'I'll give you guys a moment.' Chanyeol said with a wink. That was when Heejin realized he was in a better mood already. She glanced around but the person she wanted to see the most was no where to be found. Nonetheless the joy of seeing Daehyun was pretty much a pleasant surprise. She could put that one person aside for now, the time being. 

Daehyun was grinning widely after sitting down in the chair beside her bed. 

'When did you return?' Heejin picked up her cellphone on the night stand and scrolled through her inbox. Chaeri had sent her a thousand messages but she knew her best friend had already contacted Chanyeol. The last message read, 'I'll be there after school, so be a good girl and get some rest.' 

She smiled at the screen and was interrupted by Daehyun. 

'I'm actually sure it is part of manners to listen when someone is speaking.' He teased seeing the same familiar shade of pink on her cheeks. He felt glad to be back. 'I'm sorry.' He chuckled when she apologised awkwardly.

'Aren't you glad to see me back?' He asked again, putting on his saddest expression. Heejin laughed and threw a pillow towards him.

'Of course! How was training? Half a year is actually pretty long. You know that right?' She nudged his arm and he winced in response. His heart skipped a beat when she smiled. Of course, she doesn't have to know that.

'Training was tough. Look at this,' he lifted his long sleeve revealing a long scar on his left arm and watched as Heejin's eyes widened in horror. He was contented enough if she even worry.

'Did you fight a war or something?! I thought you were only gone for some Police Cadet School basic trainings?!' She touched the nasty scar on his arm and grimaced, breaking the touch almost immediately. 

Daehyun laughed at her reaction and ruffled her hair playfully. 'I'm fine. But look at you, so welcoming in a hospital. How do you think I felt?' He made a face and squished her cheeks purposely with his palms. 

Heejin leaned back and he had no choice but to release his hands.

Of course, he didn't go for some normal Cadet Training School. The fact that he had been on National Security Agent Training was something he couldn't reveal. It was part of the clause; No disclosure of their jobs or missions. They are to be undertaken of highest security level and requires absolute confidentiality. Not even to his own parents. He couldn't possibly tell her that some guy from his unit accidentally slashed him with a real knife while they're on combat trainings. The trainings were designed only for elites, for him to make this far it was more than just plain achievement and honour. 

There was one other thing he wasn't revealing; the fact that he was dispatched back for another mission. The fact that someone had breached the national research facility in an attempt to steal the research of Heejin's parents. But of course, whoever was there left empty handed. 

The upper ranks feared of what the research could produce if in the wrong hands. Thus his mission especially was none other than to investigate the professors' very own children and steal any documents related to the research. 

He smiled half-heartedly at Heejin, remembering his actual purpose. How could he possibly do that to Heejin? Not when she was his childhood sweetheart. That could've sounded rather cheesy but it was something Heejin had been oblivious of. To her, he was nothing more than a dear friend. Not that he could expect anything more with how things turned out to be as of now. 

Someone knocked on the door, breaking his train of thoughts. He turned towards the door at once, and noticed Heejin had froze on the spot. A figure entered through the sliding door, his gaze slowly flickered to Heejin. 

Daehyun felt a pang of jealousy when he met her gaze. It was like he doesn't even exist, or he was plain invisible to them. He stared at the male, the guy he'd met earlier, claiming to have seen him before. But of couse, he had no such recollections at all. He would've remembered such a dashing face. Not that he thought the other male was more handsome than he was. 

'I'll be right outside if you need me.' He squeezed Heejin's hands intentionally to spite the other male, his hands lingered for a while longer than he was supposed to. It was Heejin who slipped her hands away from his touch. He smiled and left. The other male's gaze fell on him for a short second, nodded in acknowledgement before he exited the ward awkwardly.

From what he understood, he was a friend of Heejin staying temporary at their house. But from the looks of it, he sensed a whole lot more. Am I getting some rivalry here? I just got here!

 

Luhan stood by the door unmoving. He was afraid to take another step closer. He was trained in determination and perserverance but this was different. He felt the adrenaline rush in his veins when their eyes met. It was wrong. She's my sister. He repeated that in his head for the thousandth time before he spoke.

'How are you?' He almost slapped himself. Afterall, those were the only words he found right to say.

Heejin's gaze fell on his hands. They weren't trembling already, but still balled into fists. She frowned at his body language. Did he not liked the fact that she was his sister? Did he not wanted her? Now that he'd found a family here in this time he doesn't belong, did he hate it? Unconsciously, she was biting her lower lips not answering his question. 

The atmosphere was dreadful. Finally, Heejin spoke with her fists hidden beneath the blankets. He didn't need to know how she felt having him as her new brother. He didn't need to know how much her heart still hurt remembering that first kiss she gave away. He didn't need to know the fact that one memory was tormenting enough. 

'You sure he was your dad... too?' she blinked slowly. I'm not gonna cry. I'm not. 

Luhan lifted his head at the surprising question. He was sure. How could he not recognise his own father. He was about to reply when something else struck him. 

'Are there any other photographs left of him?' He asked, suddenly anxious. This is important. This could matter the most at this point of time. 

Heejin's eyebrows creased into a frown noticing the change in his expression. 'Why?' She asked but noticed her tone was too harsh, too accusing. Luhan went still at once. Maybe it wasn't the right time, but again, he had to make sure. 

He had to tell her, that his father could only be a doppelganger of her father. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here comes DAEHYUN~!