The Visit...

My Next-door Neighbor, Kim Jonghyun^^,

Taemin’s POV.

After class, I was dragged by sister to the market to help her buy Oranges. She told me that we have a new neighbor and that it would be rude for us if we don’t visit them.

“Thanks,” she said to the fruit vendor as she handed her a basket full of Oranges. “Why should we give those?” I asked, pointing to the oranges. She ruffled my hair then said, “It’s customary to visit a new neighbor.”

Customary? I asked myself as I tilted my head slightly.

“Hey Taemin! I’ll introduce you to Minho,” she suddenly said.

“Is he a guy?” I queried. If it is, I’m guessing he’s her boyfriend.

“He is. He’s a friend of mine,” she responded almost immediately. I gave her a questioning look so she went on, “Aish! You don’t believe me? Okay, that’s fine.” She then looked away. I know she was just trying to play around with me. She always does that.

 

Eun Jo’s POV.

We got off the bus and walked our way to the house. It’s just a few minutes of walk since the bus stop is near our house. The street was empty when we arrived so I’m guessing that the newly-moved family is already in their house.

“Let’s do it,” I said to Taemin. We rang the doorbell once. Soon enough, a woman opened the door.

“Son, it’s our visitors. Oh! Come in,” the woman told us.

“Annyeoong Hasaeyo!” Taemin and I greeted in unison before entering their house.

We settled ourselves comfortably on the couch and so did the woman. There was an eerie silence around us.

“I’m Lee Eun Jo and this is my brother Taemin. We lived next door,” I said, breaking the silence.

“Oh! Is that so? Aigoo! Where are my manners? I’m Mrs. Kim by the way,” she responded enthusiastically. “Nice to meet you Mrs. Kim,” Taemin said cheerfully.

“What a bubbly kid! Are you living alone?” she asked.

I hesitated for a moment. I never usually talk to strangers about my personal life. As if reading what’s on my mind, she started to fuss.

“Wait here. I’ll pour some tea,” she said frantically as she went off… not to the kitchen. She headed upstairs instead.

 

Jonghyun’s POV.

I was playing my guitar when the doorbell rang. I know it’s just visitors. I mean, it’s not that I knew loads of people around here.

Just as I stopped playing, my mom knocked on my door.

“Jjongie, our neighbors are in the living room. You go there while I prepare some tea,” she said through the door.

Okay. I know I needed to entertain them, introduce myself and put on a fake, warm smile.

Lazily, I got up from my bed then headed my way to the living room. There, I saw a young girl and boy sitting on the couch. Even from afar, I could see that the girl is beautiful. Her skin is just fair for a typical Asian girl.

“Annyeong! I’m Kim Jonghyun,” I introduced myself as I stopped near the couch where they were sitting. After bowing for some time, I looked up to see the horror-stricken face of the young girl. Then it hit me…

“I-It’s you?” she asked with wide eyes. “No, I mean, you’re our next-door neighbor?” she clarified.

“It’s me. You got a problem with that?”I retorted. Honestly, I was a bit shocked too. I mean, my ugly and irritating seatmate is my neighbor. Yeah, it’s quite a surprise, especially the fact that I told myself that she’s beautiful.

“We gotta go now,” she said as she placed a basket on the table. It was filled with Oranges.

“Hey! Don’t rush,” I said confidently as I tried to act cool. It was too late ‘coz they already left.

******