She's My Wife? - Part 4

Winrina = Jiminjeong

Flashback...

 

Jimin was reading her book in her car while waiting for Aeri to arrive. She did not want to go out yet as she was lazy to entertain her admirers and her fans. She needed her best friend to make them stop approaching her since Aeri was a hot tempered and always glared at those annoying boys and girls who would be scared immediately.

She was about to flip to another page when she heard a cute, tiny, whining voice not far from her car. She had turned off her engine already and rolled down her window just a little bit, enough for her to take a breath.

She looked up and saw an adorable short hair girl, pouting childishly as she stomped her feet and crossed her arms. Jimin watched in amusement as the girl's expression kept changing from sulking, to widening her eyes before making an angry face. Jimin continued watching as the girl puffed her cheeks adorably and then, rolling her eyes.

"Yaaaah. You should have told me earlier!" Jimin's lips tugged upward as she heard another whine from the girl.

"You're lucky that you are my best friend. Ugh. Ew, no. Stay away from me!" Jimin saw how the girl made a disgusted face now while pushing the guy away. Jimin only noticed the guy when the girl pushed him as he tried to hug her.

"Yah! Hahaha you're annoying!" Jimin tilted her head, already liking how the sound of the girl's laughter soothes her heart.

"No! Go away." Jimin stared and stared, as the girl kept laughing while running away to avoid the guy's hug.

Jimin waited until they disappeared into the university's building. She noticed the girl dropped something earlier, so Jimin looked around to see if anyone else was looking. When she saw no one was nearby, she put her book onto the passenger seat and went out of her car. She walked calmly towards the small thing that was on the ground. She bended down and picked it up before going back to her car.

She looked at the university's entrance again just to make sure the girl would not came back for it. After a minute, she observed the thing that was in her hand. It was a minimalist black bracelet with a tiny, plain silver rectangle bead. Jimin squinted her eyes to read a very small wording on the bead.

"Kim Minjeong."

And somehow, the name brought a genuine smile on Jimin's face.

Ever since then, Jimin would always try to find Minjeong. She was not that hard to find anyways. She was best friends with Jeno, one of the basketball players in the uni. She was pretty known around the university too, having her own admirers and people asking her out. Whenever Minjeong was nearby, Jimin would secretly steal a glance.

Just like now, she had just entered the cafeteria with Jeno's arm around her shoulders. Jimin ducked her head, slurping her noodles while her eyes stole another glance at her. Jimin's heart fluttered seeing her usual cute pout. Jimin can't help, but to think of how lucky Jeno was being able to see Minjeong's adorable face up close.

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

"Hey, be careful. It was kind of slippery."

"Oh. Thank you!"

"No problem."

Jimin smiled, watching the scene unfold in front of her eyes.

A girl was about to slip due to the slippery floor, Minjeong managed to hold her arm right on time to prevent the girl from falling. She even told the girl softly, to be careful. She threw her kind and warm smile before watching the girl left, and only started walking away once she made sure the girl was okay.

Jimin put back her poker face, seeing Minjeong was coming her way. She looked down and pretended to be checking on her phone. She held her breath the moment Minjeong walked past her. Jimin slowly turned her head to look at Minjeong's back. She let out a sigh. She wanted to talk to the girl, but she did not know how to start a conversation without scaring her off.

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

Jimin managed to drag Aeri to watch a basketball game. Aeri was baffled. Jimin was never interested in the game, nor did she know someone close from the team.

"Why the sudden interest?" Aeri asked.

"Nothing. Just want to watch something new." Jimin lied.

She overheard Minjeong telling her friend that she was going to watch Jeno, so she wanted to be there just to watch her.

"You're weird." Aeri squinted her eyes at her. Jimin only chuckled and ignored her.

10 minutes after the game has started, Jimin finally saw Minjeong. She rushed to the empty seats and took off her cap as she fixed her hair. Jimin cheered silently for choosing the right seat. From her seat, she could see Minjeong's side view perfectly. She made it seem like she was watching the game, when her eyes kept glancing at Minjeong down there.

When the game was about to finish, Jimin saw how Minjeong was moving her hands, giving a signal to Jeno that she needed to leave. Jimin pouted unconsciously after she left, and Aeri noticed her.

"What's wrong with you?" Aeri asked.

"I thought the game will be fun." Jimin mumbled, lying again.

"I told you." Aeri rolled her eyes.

"Let's just leave. I'm falling asleep here." Aeri said again.

"Okay." Jimin agreed right away.

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

Jimin was just closing her locker when suddenly Jeno approached her. She was surprised, as they have never interracted before.

"Hey. Jimin." Jeno smiled and waved at her.

"Oh. Hello." Jimin bowed her head politely.

"I saw you last time, at the game." 

"Oh."

"I didn't know you watch basketball." Jeno said shyly.

Jimin blinked, and groaned internally. Now now, don't misunderstand her.

"I was bored and just wanted to see if it's fun like how people would said." Jimin shrugged.

"Well, did you like the game?" Jeno asked, still smiling at her.

"Uh, it's not too bad I guess." Jimin answered.

"Next time you can-"

"I need to go. I'm kind of late already. Sorry."

"Yeah, sure. I- I'll see you around."

Jimin sighed once she left Jeno there. She shook her head and told herself to never come to any basketball games again.

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

Jimin was inside one of the cubicles, doing her business when a group of girls entered the restroom. Jimin only kept quiet and closed her eyes, trying to ignore the loud chattering of the girls when she heard Minjeong's name.

"She's lucky. I envy her!"

"Yes, but we can't get jealous of her. She was only Jeno's best friend, right?"

"Right. For sure, Jeno would have already dated her if he sees her more than just a best friend."

Jimin wanted to scoff hearing it. She thought, she could never be Minjeong's best friend without growing feelings for her. Minjeong was not so hard to like.

"But Minjeong would always reject her suitors. Maybe, she secretly likes Jeno?"

"No way."

"But wait, that is possible."

Jimin frowned and decided to listen to the conversation now.

"Even if it is true, I don't think Jeno will accept her. Haven't you heard? Jeno is suddenly showing interest in Yoo Jimin now."

Jimin widened her eyes and pointed at herself, mouthing "me?" even though no one would see her.

"Oh ya! I heard the boys were surprised to see her at the game when she never watched any of the games before. My boyfriend also said that she kind of like... kept looking at Jeno's direction?"

Jimin wanted to curse, but she held herself back.

"Well, we have no chance with Jeno then. Jimin is amazing. No one would reject her."

"Right."

Jimin groaned as soon as the girls left. 

"I wasn't even looking at him!!"

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

Yes. Totally a misunderstanding. Jimin noticed how Jeno would always glance her way now, even Aeri noticed it. Jimin never bothered to look back at him. She only looked in his direction because Minjeong was always with him.

"Wow, I didn't know the rumour was true. So, the reason for you being weird is Jeno?" Aeri wiggled her eyebrows.

"Someone finally managed to get your attention huh." Aeri said.

"What are you talking about?" Jimin frowned.

"Oh, I know you. You definitely have someone in your mind nowadays." Aeri laughed.

"Shut it. No one, okay." Jimin lied.

"Whatever you say, bestie."

Jimin was about to reply when Jeno suddenly appeared beside their table.

"Hey." Jeno smiled at Aeri who smiled back at him before looking back at Jimin.

"Jimin, we have a game next week. I would like it if you um- can come and watch me play."

"I- uh, well, I'm not sure if I can come." Jimin answered.

"Oh, but please come if you have time. I'll appreciate it."

"Okay."

"Thanks." Jeno was about to pat Jimin's shoulder as a friendly gesture, but Jimin's fast reflex moved away from his hand.

"Ah. Sorry." Jeno scratched his head awkwardly before leaving.

"Yah. Why do you look awkward? Are you actually being shy or what?" Aeri asked.

"I'm not being shy or anything. You know that I don't like it when someone touches me."

"Right, right. I thought it would be an exception if it's your someone." Aeri , but Jimin was too tired to talk back since she was getting a headache over the misunderstanding with Jeno now.

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

Jimin has had enough. She needed to clarify with Jeno that she wasn't interested in him. She saw a girl cried earlier, she said she got rejected by Jeno because Jeno was waiting for Jimin. Now, why the hell would he wait for her? They were not even in 'getting to know each other' term like what he told everyone.

She went to the back alley since she heard the basketball team always went there to smoke. She heard the noises and marched there, but stopped when she heard Jeno was talking about her and Minjeong. She quickly hid herself to listen to the conversation silently.

"If Jimin reject me, then I would just ask Minjeong out."

"But I thought you said Minjeong does not have any feelings for you?"

"She doesn't, but Minjeong is too kind. She might be able to say no to the others, but not me. Not her best friend. I know her."

"But you don't have feelings for her either dude."

"Mhm. But I think it's a good plan to date the second best, don't you think? Jimin and Minjeong are the most wanted girls in our university. If I were to date one of them, my popularity will be soaring high." Jeno chuckled.

"You and your obsession with fame." One of the boys grumbled, but joined the others laughed.

"But Jeno, wouldn't Minjeong be suffering if you make her date you when she doesn't have a feeling for you? Yah, at least, feel bad for your own best friend."

"Look. Best friends are supposed to be there for each other. And that's what she is going to do, be there for me and make me happy."

"Will you make her happy too?"

"Oh, please. Who was the one sticking around with her all this time? Me. I was always there for her."

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

"Minjeong! Jimin will join us again!"

"Oh, okay."

Jimin looked at Minjeong with her poker face while Minjeong smiled a little at her before looking at Jeno again. Jimin watched at how happy she looked when Jeno was around her. Jimin clenched her teeth seeing how fake Jeno was being with Minjeong, her kind and sweet Minjeong. Jimin wanted to just tell Minjeong about it, but she can't. She can't find it in her heart to break Minjeong's heart.

How would she feel if she knew that Jeno was actually not a good friend? Jimin couldn't do it. Not when it was still their exam period and graduation coming soon. She doesn't want Minjeong to be miserable during such important moment.

"Jimin, what would you like to eat? I'll order for you." Jeno asked, smiling as he sat down beside her after saying bye to his friends.

"I'm not hungry."

"Really? Are you sure?" Jeno frowned, he scooted closer but Jimin cleared and moved her chair a little.

Jeno got the hint, he found out from Aeri that Jimin doesn't like to be touched, but he still wanted to try.

"Jimin-" Jeno's smile disappeared when Jimin glared at his hand before looking at him straight in the eye.

"Please, I'm tired." Jimin whispered.

"Sorry." Jeno pulled his hand away.

"Minjeong ah! Let's go and order some food." 

Jimin looked at Minjeong who nodded her head cutely and followed Jeno. Jimin sighed heavily and decided that she would just leave. She can't bear it, to see Minjeong's innocent happy face when she knew Jeno was taking advantage of her kindness. She left a message for Jeno, saying she did not feel good and wanted to rest at home.

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

 

"Wait, so you agreed to let Jeno get closer to you and get to know you as he wished for? Because..." Aeri looked at her.

"Yes."

Jimin stood up and went near her window, looking at the view outside to calm herself.

"Because I don't want him to date Minjeong or even force her to date him." Jimin said.

"But- Jimin, the whole time you laughed with him and-"

"I was faking everything, so he wouldn't be suspicious. It was only 2 and a half months left before graduation. I thought, it'll be over soon and I could do it. However..." Jimin frowned, remembering what happened just a day after graduation.

"What happened?"

"I told Jeno the truth, that I don't have a feeling for him. That I actually like his best friend."

"What? What did he say then?"

"He laughed, and said he knew. I asked for Minjeong's number, but he refused to give me. The last words I heard from him was good luck."

"Let me guess, you didn't get to tell Minjeong everything?"

Jimin shook her head.

"She disappeared after graduation, Aeri. I couldn't find her anywhere. I thought we were really not meant to be, and that she was not for me. She never looked at me too when we hung out, so I thought, maybe I should just move on from my one sided feeling and focus on my future. Moreover, dad wanted me to take the position as soon as possible and there were a lot of pressure. So, I tried to forget her first."

"Well, have you?"

"What?"

"Moved on?"

"If I have, I wouldn't be marrying her, Aeri."

Jimin remembered every smiles and laughters from Minjeong. She remembered every moments from 4 years ago up until now that she becomes her wife.

"Then, are you going to tell her everything now?"

"I don't know, Aeri. I'm not even sure if she keeps in contact with Jeno or not. Or... Should I ask?" Jimin asked.

"Hm. I'm not sure either. Well, you are not the same young and stupid Jimin like 4 years ago now, right?"

"Yah." Jimin hissed.

"What? It's true. Gosh, I still hate you for not telling me all of this 4 years ago. You could have avoided the mess. I could have helped you, you know."

"Ugh. Please, don't remind me." Jimin sighed.

"Fine. Now, let's focus on the present. I think that it's best to tell her the truth, she deserves to know. She is your wife now, Jimin. No secrets between you both. You should start to open up to her so she will do the same. You said you're taking this marriage seriously too, show it."

"I don't want to hurt her, Aeri."

"Would you rather live with guilt? For hiding the truth you have been meaning to tell her before?"

"..."

"You're scared of hurting her, I know. But Jimin, you need to come all clean to her. No secrets, no lies. Only then, you can love her properly without guilt."

"..."

"Besides, don't you think that she was keeping her distance with you because she thought you liked Jeno 4 years ago and it's awkward to her now that she married someone who liked her best friend?"

Jimin frowned. No. She can't let Minjeong think that way.