XXIII. How To Save a Life

So It's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two men talking at the office.

"Hey, you gonna deliver again?" He just sent the confirmation email.

"Yeah," his friend replied shortly.

"Is she eating well?"

" I think so, I just always leave it to her secretary's desk."

"I didn't know our job is going to extend as much as this."

"Ya, I am not even complaining here."
He smiled while putting everything in the styro box.

"What do you have today?"

"Home-made kimbap and sushi, fruits and orange juice."

"Wow! That's a lot for a snack right?"
He checked the foods as well.

"I know, right?"

"Go, don't get caught."

@Gangnam Hospital

JISOO'S POV

"Mandeuk, you need to take some rest. I'll just stay here and give you updates about Limario."

"No, I want to stay with Lili. I'll wait until she's awake."

"Don't be stubborn. You have not sleep for hours. Your kids also need you. Your health is our priority, Mandeuk."

"Fine," she finally agreed then she whispered "but don't ever let Irene gets inside. I want to be the first person Lisa will see as she opens her eyes." I stared to Irene, she's still calm. Most of her friends gone home already. So it's me Jennie, that Krystal, Irene and Lisa's Police officer friend.

It's like we are having a competition here for last man standing. I'm Jennie's proxy. "Trust me she can't pass that door." I pointed out the door.

She chuckled, "Okay, Chuu. You take care here. I love you."

"I love you Mandeuk, yeah you do as well."

I crossed my arms and sit properly at the couch. Still waiting for the operation to finish. Krystal brought a tray with 3 cup of coffees. She offered me one then another to Irene.

"Thanks, Krystal." Irene said. So they knew each other.

She turned to me, "I'm Krystal, Lisa's friend." I offered a hand shake.

"Kim Jisoo, just call me Jisoo. I'm Jennie's older sister and also Lisa's old friend." Irene just looked at us.
"And you are?" I asked this calm woman here. I know she's a threat to my sister.

"Bae Joohyun, call me Irene." I have an idea who she is of course. But for formalities sake I just introduce myself as well. We were muted for a moment. Krystal broke the silence.

"Miss Bae, you don't have to worry that much, Lisa is a fighter she can make it. And your best friend is one of those assisting surgeons at the operation so she's really in good hands."

Irene nodded, "I know, I believe in Lisa and Wendy is one of the best surgeons here. I didn't know the two of you got really close; that the officer contacted you first. I have no idea what's really going on with Lisa's life."

I just listened to them, "well, I don't know how to begin the story. You can definitely ask her about that." Krystal explained.

"This is really all my fault. I should have not let her leave our home." Regrets were evident to Irene's voice

"Miss Bae, please don't blame it all to yourself. It's an accident. Lisa happened to pass by and there was a gang riot nearby the hotel, Officer Yoo already took care of those people."

"By the way how did you know the officer?" Irene asked her.

"She's Lisa's childhood friend I just met her recently through Lisa as well."

"Oh she was never mentioned by Lisa to me. Sometimes I felt like there are so many things I don't know about her." 

A woman in heels comes to our direction and hugs Irene instantly.
She seemed older than us. But she looks familiar I think we attended the same school and yes she's my sunbae.

"Hyun, how are you? Where's my sister? I took the earliest flight from Busan when you called me about her being in the hospital. Our dad is really worried but he can't come due to his health." The woman explained, right, this is Yoona, unnie, Lisa's sister.

She looks at me, "Oh, Kim Jisoo? I didn't expect you're here."

"Hi, Yoona, unnie it's been a while." She looks around as if searching for someone.

"Uhm, Jennie just left." 

"Oh so Lisa and her are okay now?" She inquired, probably she knew also what happened between the two.

I nod, "they are good just like the old days," I smiled.

"I felt relieved knowing she has a lot of people around her who truly cares for her." She said, "But Joohyun I am confused what did the two of you fight over that you guys broke up? Did my sister do something stupid? Did she hurt you?" Yoona, unnie seemed to care a lot for Irene like she's also part of Manoban's family. She used to treat my sister Jennie like that since our sisters were really inseparable.

"No, unnie, Lisa never hurt me. It was just a misunderstanding." Irene explained which made me roll my eyes. Of course she initiated the break up it's the other way around. Perhaps if I was Jennie, I would really in right now in their conversation.

We are all dreading to hear some news about Lisa's operation. We just know it will be a crucial one and the doctor did not give us any false hopes.
The General Surgeon already spoke to Krystal and informed her the chance rate. If Jennie knew it then she'll probably stay. I close my eyes and just drift into a nap.

@OPERATING ROOM

The surgeons are doing multiple operations. Patient's chance of survival is 60% but they need to do it right away to lower the risk.

"Closely monitor the pulse rate." the General Surgeon commanded.

"Yes, Professor"

They've been here for 6 long hours, all the surgeons and the assisting nurses are focus on the operation. 

"More sponge" the General surgeon instructed. And the 1st doctor supplied the sponge.

"Suction" the 2nd doctor assisted the suctioning.

"Sponge" the 1st doctor followed directly as asked.

"Retract" the 3rd doctor adjusted the clamp

"Suction" 

the operating nurse assisted the General Surgeon she presses towel to the Gen.Surgeon's sweating forehead.

"Adjust the light forward I can't see the spleen clearly, sponge" the 1st doctor obliged to put the sponge immediately.

"Dr. Son, carefully lift it" the Gen.Surgeon instructed to Wendy. 
She gently lift the spleen.

"How bad it is?" The General Surgeon speak his mind and took a closer look. 
There's a cut in the right phase of the spleen and it is swollen.

"She's bleeding." The third doctor commented

"Estimated blood lost?" the General Surgeon asked.

"About 4.5L. , Professor Wong"

The bp monitor is beeping rapidly.

"The patient is crashing" 2nd doctor said.

"No, the ventilation is good." 3rd doctor argued

They all look at the monitor, vital signs are all dropping down.

"Doctor Hong take care of the spleen, Doctor Son, I need you to press this area. Put some pressure." Wendy put her two hands as instructed and she could see how much blood Lisa is losing, right now. She keeps her focus. She's been doing this for months she should manage to deal with the situation.

"I will put a hose to plush the blood clot," the General doctor said. As he did it. He then instructed Wendy to release the pressure. "Doctor Son, release the pressure now"

They are also done putting the titanium replacing Lisa's fractured bones on her right rib cages. They already took care of those lesions.

The nurse monitors for the blood transfusion. This is the fourth bag. Right after getting the third bag, Lisa's skin turned to its regular skin complexion. She's really pale before the surgery.

Doctor Wendy Son is now assisting the head surgeon in closing the wound. They are stitching the open skin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter