Determination

My Mortal Enemy #143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA’S POV

 

 

“Why can’t I go?” I heard Bom asked for the nth time as she paid me yet another glance while driving.

 

 

“Bom, can you please concentrate on driving? I don’t want to die in this state. Not until I found him.” I said irritably as I focused my gaze back on the road and tried hard to ignore her rants. She’s been very persistent on accompanying me to where I plan to go right now but I repeatedly declined even if she offered me a ride.

 

 

“Exactly my point Dara. I was the one who gave you the hint where you can find him yet you’re shutting the idea of me coming with!” She blurted out, trying to make me feel guilty but that won’t work either. I know she’s just concerned about me but I have to do this alone.

 

 

“Nice try Bommie but still no. Can you just please give me this one? I know you’re just trying to help and I really appreciate it but this is between him and me. Whatever happens, after we talk, I will respect that. I won’t do anything that will compromise whatever decision he will make.” I said with a frown. She noticed when I heaved a deep sigh before looking at the window.

 

 

“So… are you already anticipating a negative outcome after that?” She hesitantly asked, tentatively shifting her eyes from the road to me, as if assessing me if I’m going to shed tears once again.

 

 

“I don’t have a choice but to expect the worst right? I mean, I don’t have the right to…”

 

 

“There you go again, Dara.” She cut me off immediately before I can finish what I have to say. “How can you say that you don’t have a right? Of course, you have every right there is. You’re his girlfriend for Christ's sake. You should claim your title without hesitation Tokki!” She exclaimed, her voice rising up a notch.

 

 

I looked at her and noticed that she’s already breathing heavily as if she just went to a war or something. I didn’t push my point anymore for she will be more provoked than ever. Though I understand her point. It actually makes my heart flutter for it only shows how concerned she is to me. I smiled at her and chuckled when she raised her left brow at me.

 

 

“Why? What’s so funny?” She asked and stole me another glance.

 

 

“Nothing. I just realized how my best friend loves me so much.” I uttered and that totally changed her mood from being mad to shy.

 

 

She stifled a smile and tried to hide her blushing face. She parked the car in front of the bus terminal where I told her to drop me off. She unbuckled her seatbelt before shifting on her seat to face me. “Of course, I do. What are sisters for right?”

 

 

I nodded and smiled at her. “Yup. Thanks, Bom. Thank you for always understanding me.”

 

 

“Hey, like I said. You’re more than a friend to me. I just wish you’d be more open about your problems.” She held my hand before looking back at me. “You’re not alone Dara. You always have me to run to, don’t you dare forget that.” She said and ended it with a smile.

 

 

I hugged her and felt my eyes welling up once again. I always say that I wouldn’t know what will happen if I don’t have Bom in my life but now I know the answer. “I’m sorry for being a pain in the most of the time but I promise I won’t hide things from you again. Thank you…”

 

 

“Good. Now, you should get out of this car because the bus won’t wait for you.” She reminded before breaking away from the hug. We both chuckled as I prepared myself to leave. I cracked the door open and hopped out before glancing back to her. “Take care Tokki-ah. Ring me if something happens ok? Don’t be a stranger!” I heard her yelled from inside the car.

 

 

“Neh. Take care too,” I said before waving my hand and watched her sped off. When I saw her turned at the corner, I started my pace towards the ticket booth where they sell tickets. I bought the next available trip before heading inside the station to wait for the bus.

 

 

I glanced around and noticed that there aren’t many people waiting. Maybe because people nowadays have their own cars and buses are their last option to travel. I sat at the backmost part of the area where benches are placed and rarely spotted. I settled myself and patiently waited for the bus to arrive. To burn time, I took out my phone and navigate it to where photos are saved. I scanned some of them and stopped upon seeing the picture I almost forgot I have. It’s the picture Jiyong took when we had our school field trip to Busan and visited the ocean park. He was holding my phone; arms outstretched and took our photo with the penguins being our background. This is the only time I noticed that he’s smiling. Not just any smile but a genuine one. This is one of the rarest times you can actually see him do it and it was with me. A smile crept up to my lips but at the same time, tears started to blur my vision. I missed him so much and loneliness is trying to envelop me once again.

 

 

“Are you ok dear?” I got startled when someone suddenly spoke beside me.

 

 

I immediately wiped my tears and faced the owner of the voice. An old man carrying a suitcase on one hand and a cane on the other is standing in front of me. “I… Uhm…. Neh, Harabeoji.” I said. I stood up and bowed at him before helping him sit down.

 

 

He placed his suitcase on the bench beside him and rested both his hands on top of his cane. “Ahh… kids nowadays are so pretentious. No wonder they can easily fool people…” He paused before staring at me intently. “…but not me.”

 

 

I glanced back at him; shock written all over my face. “E-Excuse me?” I asked. I know I was taught since I was a kid that being rude to someone older than me is disrespectful but this kind of attitude is also not what I expected to an old man like him.

 

 

“Excuse you what? Are you denying it?” He bluntly asked, raising his eyebrow at me accusingly.

 

 

“I’m not pretending. I’m just…”

 

 

“Hiding something? Isn’t that the same?” He asked again without letting me finish with what I have to say. His gaze landed on the phone I was holding before shifting it back to me. “Why are you crying over th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter