The Moonlight Effect

My Mortal Enemy #143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA'S POV

 

 

Mr. Kwon invited us for dinner after we talked. It’s good timing that Jiyong already got home from wherever he went to.

 

 

"So, Dara, how's school? I learned from Shin-yang that you won a pageant?" Mrs. Kwon asked me and it made me blush.

 

 

"Uhm, I did but my friends helped me a lot that's why I won," I answered and glanced at Jiyong whose busy eating his food. He's always been like that every time he's parents are around. He stays quiet and finishes everything as fast as possible so he can get away and be alone.

 

 

"That's nice. I've always known you're a beauty queen material." She complimented and that made my face redder. "And I heard that the prize is not that bad. What are you gonna do with it?"

 

 

"Oh dear, you know what? She offered that to somehow pay me back the tuition fees we paid for her schooling. This kid, really." Mr. Kwon unexpectedly mentioned what I told him earlier. All of them looked at me, astonished as if I performed a miracle or something.

 

 

"Oh honey, why do that? We never ask you something in return for whatever we give you and your father." Mrs. Kwon looked worried as she clutched her chest looking hurt.

 

 

I raised my hands and shook it as a sign of disapproval. "No, no. I don’t mean any disrespect. It's the only way I can think of to make up for all the help you've given me and Appa."

 

 

"But we're the ones who are thankful for all your hard work and of course, the loyalty and trustworthiness you showed. It's really rare to find those qualities in a person nowadays." Mr. Kwon stated before he continued. "I know, why don't we go on a vacation. It's been a while since all of us took a break. What do you say, dear?" He turned to his wife who smiled wider upon hearing her husband's suggestion.

 

 

"Oh yes. I agree. All of us became busy with our businesses. It’s about time we give ourselves some time to relax." She stretched her arms and reached for Jiyong who’s sitting next to her. "I want to take Jiyong to where we used to take him when he was a kid." She smiled as she placed her hand above Jiyong's.

 

 

My eyes focused on Jiyong and waited for his reaction but all I saw was his usually stoic face but I can feel that he's affected by it when he strongly gripped the utensils he's holding.

 

 

"Yeah, that's a great idea. We haven't been there for a long time." Mr. Kwon agreed and suddenly turned to me and Appa. "You're also welcome to join us if you don't have any other plans."

 

 

"But it’s your family trip, we don't want to be a bother. Right, Dara?" Appa glanced at me to agree but before I could answer Mrs. Kwon beat me to it.

 

 

"What? Since when did that happen? And besides, it will be lonely if it'll be just the three of us." She said and looked at both of us while wearing puppy eyes. I must say that Mrs. Kwon really has her way of convincing people and saying no is not an option.

 

 

I saw Appa nodded in response and that made her smile widely. "It's set then. I'll have my secretary arrange everything and will inform you when we’re leaving." Mr. Kwon uttered in a business-like tone. Maybe he's always like that when it comes to dealing with people.

 

 

The whole dinner became really quiet after that conversation. I can feel the awkwardness building up. I stole a glance at Jiyong and got surprised that he's eating his food slowly this time. Like he's taking his time to finish it but his eyes are focused only on the food. His eyebrows were furrowed, a sign that he's in deep thought. What could be running in his head is a mystery for I really can't read his mind. Well, I never did try to guess because he's really unpredictable. A lot of times I've experienced when he says something but mean another. Like what he's been acting recently, he can be the meanest person alive but will turn into the sweetest thing you'll ever meet when you least expect it. Might I say that it happened not only once so that means he's consistent. It's the real him. I smiled to myself as I felt my chest pound hard. Finally, I'm beginning to understand him, the real Jiyong.

 

 

-------------------

 

 

BOM'S POV

 

 

I can't describe how happy I am because of the progress happening between my best friend and her love life. Just earlier, Dara called me asking about why boys are so complicated. She didn't mention any name but it’s pretty obvious who she's referring to. I've known her since we were kids so I know how her mind works. It’s just a matter of time and my plan will be fulfilled. Gosh, I'm so excited.

 

 

I was still busy giggling to myself when I heard a voice slashed through my senses. The voice that I’m so familiar with.

 

 

"Hi, Bom!" I turned around and my hunch was indeed right when I saw Seunghyun standing behind me while carrying his grocery bags. "What are you doing here?" He asked while smiling at me. Gosh, he's so handsome.

 

 

"Same reason you're here."

 

 

He looked around and saw the grocery cart parked behind me. "Oh. You need a ride home?" He asked and my ears instantly perked up. Today must be my lucky day.

 

 

"Are you sure? I might be a bother to you?" I hesitantly said although my mind screams for him to say no.

 

 

"Not at all. I don't have any other plans after this." I smiled inwardly thinking the universe must be doing its best for us to be together. He placed his groceries in my cart and pushed it, leading me to where I think he parked his car. "Where's your driver anyway?"

 

 

"He's running late. Maybe he went to finish some errands before he picks me up." I lied. I know exactly where the driver is, I just don't want this opportunity to slip.

 

 

"I see. You better send him a message that someone picked you up already so he won't come here anymore."

 

 

I nodded and did what I was told before we reach his car. He took all our groceries from the cart and put it in the trunk. He ushered towards the passenger seat as he opened the door for me like a gentleman that he is.

 

 

The ride was pretty quiet until he decided to break the silence. "How's everything? You all did a great job at the show. I never thought Dara was into those kinds of contests?" He asked, his eyes focused on the road.

 

 

I cleared my throat feeling guilty of what he said. "Actually, it was all my idea. She never really wanted to join at all. I just registered her name and everything was history."

 

 

He chuckled as he glanced at my direction before returning his gaze to the road. "Really? Why did you do that?"

 

 

"To help her get out of her shell. I'm actually surprised that you didn't know about it. Even Seungri knows about that detail."

 

 

"Well, I’m not a gossip type of guy if you already noticed." He laughed and that earned a smack from my untamed hand. "Aw! You got a heavy hand for a girl." He commented but didn't stop giggling. I stared at his smiling face. It reminds me way back when we were little. We used to do this before, tease each other to death until one of us cry. Well, I was doing all the crying and he was the one who ended up consoling me. "Hey, are you alright?"

 

 

My thoughts came to a halt when I heard him asked me as he tapped my shoulder. I seemed to have lost my words and just answered him with a nod. I don't know why but I feel like crying and hoped that he's still there to console me.

 

 

------------------

 

DARA'S POV

 

 

We were in the middle of our class when I felt my phone vibrating inside my pocket. I was determined to ignore it but since it’s so persistent, I decided to take a peek and see who it was.

 

 

Appa calling...

 

 

Why is Appa calling me? I hope it’s not an emergency.

 

 

I immediately went out of our room, not caring about the curious glances my classmates were giving me. I pressed the answer button the moment I stepped out of our room.

 

 

"Appa? Why are you calling? Is something wrong?" I bombarded him with questions right before he spoke on the phone.

 

 

"Oh, thank God. I thought something happened to you when you weren't picking up." Appa said, sounding really worried.

 

 

"I'm here in my class. Why do you sound so worried? Did something happen?" I asked him, my heart pounding inside my chest.

 

 

"Someone sent me a message that they will come for you." He said and that made me feel scared. I instinctively looked around me, checking if someone might have actually followed me but the hallway is almost empty.

 

 

I heaved a deep sigh before pressing my phone against my ears again. "Appa, did you check who might that be? I think it’s just a prank. A random person who doesn't have anything to do but pester people." I told him to help him calm down. "And besides, who would actually come for me? If that's true, they will return me to you in a snap if they found out we don't have anything to give them as a ransom." I added and laughed at my own joke but Appa remained quiet on the other line.

 

 

"Just be careful Dara. You know the drill if ever you feel like you're in danger, right?" He asked, his voice still laced with worry.

 

 

"Of course, Appa. Being a daughter of the Security Head really has its perks." I jokingly said which I think will earn a scolding later at home.

 

 

"Dara, I’m serious here..."

 

 

"Ok, ok. I still can remember what you thought me regarding self-defense so you don't have to worry." I assured him and I think that finally calmed him down.

 

 

"Good. You can go back to class now." He said sounding relieved. "Oh, one more thing, Mr. Kwon finally decided when the outing will be and it’s this coming weekend."

 

 

"Really? That's cool. Thanks for informing me, Appa."

 

 

"Ok. Go back to class now."

 

 

I got back inside our classroom after we bade goodbye on the phone. What Appa told me was indeed bothersome. Even if I acted cool during our conversation, I can't help but feel uneasy. I hope it’s not something for us to worry now or in the future.

 

 

--------------------

 

 

I deeply inhaled and let the fresh air enveloped me. I can't believe I'll come back here again and this time with Appa, Jiyong and his parents. I never thought that this was the place Mrs. Kwon was talking about the other night.

 

 

"Isn't this great? Busan is one of our favorite places to visit since Jiyong was little." Mrs. Kwon said as she grinned from ear to ear. "The place is so serene and refreshing. I'm one hundred percent sure that everyone will enjoy here."

 

 

"I agree, Mrs. Kwon. This was the place we visited during our field trip." I said.

 

 

Mrs. Kwon clasped her hands together looking surprised and amazed at the same time. "Oh really? Did Jiyong tell you about the time when..."

 

 

"Omma! Stop it." Jiyong cut what she was about to say. His face was a bit red and it didn't escape my eyes.

 

 

"What? I'm just telling Dara the memories we had here."

 

 

"It's unnecessary ok? Geez." Jiyong hissed, obviously shy about sharing his childhood. I smiled inwa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter