Challenge of Acceptance

My Mortal Enemy #143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA'S POV

 

 

I'm staring at myself in the mirror looking pathetic. How could I be so blind? After the conversation I just witnessed, I immediately strode towards the nearest restroom I could find to hide. Yes, to hide my emotions building inside me that's been struggling to come out. Just when I realized how I feel towards him, this will happen. Why?! Are they really together? Maybe I heard it wrong or maybe I misunderstood what they've meant but knowing Jiyong, he would've corrected them if it was all a lie. He would've stopped Kiko from saying things if he knew it wasn't true, but he just stood there and did nothing. Another tear fell from my eyes which I immediately wiped away. I know I don't have any right to feel this way but he never should have told me he likes me. He never should have shown his intentions towards me if he just meant for my heart to be broken. I tapped my chest to somehow ease the pain that I'm feeling but it did nothing. It's just becoming worst as minutes pass by. Why does it hurt so damn much?!

 

 

"Dara?! Dara?!" I heard Donghae's voice outside the restroom as he continuously knocks on its door. "What's happening in there? Unlock the door please." He pleaded.

 

 

"Just a minute okay? I'm just...I'm fixing my makeup. Stop bothering me you, idiot." I told him as I faked my voice trying so hard to stifle my sobs.

 

 

I heard him heaved a sigh before he continued. "Dara, I know what you're doing. Just talk to me, please. Let me hear from you."

 

 

I hurriedly wiped my eyes, careful not to ruin my makeup and put some powder to cover my tear-stricken face. When I'm 100% sure that there's no more trace that I indeed cried, I finally opened the door and immediately put my mask on as if nothing happened. "Hey! What's up?"

 

 

Donghae stiffened as he looked at me, his curled fist still frozen in the air from the previous knocking. He finally relaxed after a few seconds and stared at me warily. "What happened to you?"

 

 

"What do you mean what happened? I told you I'm just freshening up." I said as I displayed my innocent look, trying hard to keep myself together.

 

 

"But...I heard..."

 

 

"Aisht! You worry too much you know that?" I cut him off and waved my hand dismissively.

 

 

I stepped out of the restroom and fished my phone inside my bag to check if Appa already replied but I still didn't find any message coming from him. Where could he be?

 

 

"What's wrong Dara?" Donghae asked, worry visible on his face.

 

 

"Appa, he's still not replying," I answered as I tried to look around.

 

 

"Maybe he's busy or something..." he answered knowingly as he scratched his head, his eyes looking anywhere but me.

 

 

"But he said I should inform him once I arrived but..."

 

 

"Dara, you're the one who worries too much. You did inform him, right?" He asked and I nodded my head. "See, maybe he's just doing something important that's why he can't respond."

 

 

"Maybe...I'm just worried," I answered and looked at my phone again.

 

 

"I know, why don't we just have fun while waiting for your Appa?" He suggested giving me a wide toothy grin.

 

 

"Have fun?"

 

 

"Yup, can you see the dance floor? It’s pretty much open." He said as he pointed at the dance floor where couples are dancing along with the music.

 

 

"What?! No! I don't know how to dance Donghae." I strongly disagreed with what he's asking me to do.

 

 

"Well, now is the right time to learn. Don't worry, I’ll teach you." He confidently said as he winked at me. He grabbed my wrist and started dragging me towards the middle of the room to head towards the dance floor.

 

 

"Donghae, Noooo!!! Stop!" I protested as I grabbed his hand back to stop him from his tracks.

 

 

"Come on Dara. It's such a waste coming here without doing anything."

 

 

"We can do something other than this. Anything but this! It's embarrassing!" I said and stomped my feet like a kid.

 

 

"What's embarrassing about that? I mean look at them? Do you think they care what other people think about their dancing?" He pointed at the people dancing like crazy on the dance floor. "They obviously don't even if they possess two left feet for crying out loud."

 

 

Both of us chuckled as we watched the others danced. He has a point. They just do it to have fun. "Fine, but don't blame me if I step on your feet. Your nails might die tonight that's for sure." I told him and that made him laugh. He started with his pace again, pulling me to get into the middle of the crowd.

 

 

The music is a little upbeat that you'll find yourself bobbing your head without noticing. I saw Donghae do the same as he raised his arms and moved his body along the music. In all fairness, this guy can really dance. "Come on Dara, don't just stand there. Move!" He said and gestured me to follow his dancing.

 

 

I looked around and I can't help but giggle when I saw some of the guests move exaggeratedly as if they're hearing the music ten times faster than its normal beat. Fine, I'm gonna do it. I slowly moved my body from left to right then raised my arms and clapped my hands along with the beat. Hmm, I'm getting a hang of this. I swung my hips both ways and followed some of Donghae's moves. This is fun!

 

 

"See! I told you you can do it!" I heard Donghae said as we both laughed. The song lasted for a couple more minutes and boy, was it intense. The crowd was enjoying themselves too as they jumped in place not caring if they bumped to the persons near them. My feet are beginning to hurt because of my heels but I don't care. For the first time, I'm enjoying myself even if I don't have any idea what I'm doing. And for the first time tonight, I forgot about what happened earlier, the pain easing away.

 

 

I shook my body, just as everyone around us did the same following the beat of the music. I heard other teenagers screaming their lung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter