Escape

My Mortal Enemy #143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA'S POV

 

Checking the clock beside my bed, it says it's already 6:10 AM, ten minutes past the usual time I get out of bed to prepare. Waking up every morning has never been the same ever since that day. The day when he decided to dropped the most excruciating words on my face without hesitation, without regrets.

 

I pulled away from the blanket covering my body and finally decided to get up and take a shower. This has been my everyday routine. Get up, take a shower, eat breakfast, go to work, or school to update them, go home, and sleep. Most of the people I know may think that I somehow got over that sad part in my life because I'm finally smiling when I talk to them and the energy that was gone finally came back but they're wrong. It's still painful as if it happened just yesterday. Maybe I'm just too good of an actress because they can't tell what exactly am I feeling right now.

 

I went down as soon as I'm done preparing but stop midway when I heard a noise coming from the kitchen.

 

I saw him, his back facing me as he prepares something for breakfast. "Appa?"

 

He twisted his body to look back and a smile immediately crept up to his face the moment he saw it was me. "Hey, Princess. You're up so early." He greeted before placing the eggs on the plate he just finished cooking.

 

I looked at the table and there are so many foods lying on top of it. It seems like he really put time and effort to prepare all of these. "Appa, are you going to take some of these at your office?" I asked as I stare at the food.

 

"No. I cooked just for us two but you can take some to your office if you want." He said and place the eggs on the table together with the others. "Sit down and eat before it gets cold." He gestured me to sit down before taking off his apron. I noticed that he's ready for work as well. What time did he wake up to finish all of these?

 

He sat at the corner and me beside him. Our usual position every time we eat together which we seldom do nowadays because of his busy schedules. I'm actually surprised that he's being like this because the last time we talked, things weren't good and I know he's still mad at me because of what I did.

 

The tension I thought was there is gradually ebbing away when I saw him took the bowl of rice and started pouring some on my plate before placing some to his own. I took the plate of eggs and did the same by placing one on his plate before mine. That's how we usually do it and that made him smile at me. I returned it with a smile and that somehow lifted my mood thinking we're finally ok now. I started eating and enjoyed the food he prepared but noticed that he didn't move an inch and just stare at me as I eat. Both his elbows are propped above the table, his chin resting on his linked hands.

 

"Appa, why aren't you eating?" I asked. I suddenly felt weird as I looked at his worried eyes which he immediately hides when he saw me looking.

 

He smiled at me once again but it doesn't reach his eyes. "I just had coffee. I'll eat a little later, don't worry Princess." He said and gestured for me to continue.

 

"Are you sure? I mean, I know I eat a lot but I can't finish all these by myself." I told him and that made him chuckle as I stare at the foods in front of me.

 

As his laughter died down, he gave me another lingering stare before sipping on his cup once again. My brows instantly furrowed, trying to figure out what's wrong because even if he's being quiet, I know something's bothering him and whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's serious.

 

I stretched my arm and placed my right hand on top of his which surprised him. He looked at me, confusion written all over his face. "Appa, what's wrong?" I asked.

 

I stared at him as I waited for him to answer but he just heaved a deep sigh before smiling at me without reaching his ears. I finally surrendered because knowing him, He won't tell anything unless he's ready. I figured, maybe it's still because of what happened last time we talked and he just doesn't want to talk about it anymore, explaining his behavior right now.

 

Placing down my cup of milk, I took another spoonful of rice with egg and bacon and thought of another topic to open instead. "How's work Appa? Is Mr. Kwon having problems with his businesses again?" I asked while swallowing down the food I just finished chewing.

 

"It's fine. Mr. Kwon is doing great and his plans for expanding on other countries already started. His hard work is finally paying off." He said and started narrating some of the accomplishments Mr. Kwon had done in the past months.

 

"But that won't be possible without your help, right?" I smiled as I gave him a thumbs up. He chuckled but just like earlier, he returned it with a smile that doesn't reach his ears.

 

My smile gradually faded as well. It's like we're having a conversation without having a conversation. I don't know if what I said makes sense but it's weird, right? It really feels empty just like his eyes as he stared at me. I opened my mouth and tried to open another topic but close it once again knowing it will end the same as before, empty.

 

I decided to just eat my food and finish it as I looked at my watch. I saw that it's almost time to go before heading to work if I don't want to be late. "Appa, I'd love to stay and chat but I have to go to SGOC before my supervisor goes berserk. He's cool but he doesn't want tardy people." I said as I immediately stood up and reach for my bag.

 

"SGOC?" I heard him asked, his brows instantly connect.

 

I looked at him and nodded my head after checking myself in the mirror. "Yup, that's where I'm taking my internship," I said and that made his face fell like his soul left his body. My forehead creased as I looked at him bewildered. "Why Appa? Something wrong?" I asked but his facial expression instantly changed opposite to what he showed me earlier.

 

"Ah... no. N-Nothing's wrong princess." He stuttered a little as I saw his hands opened and closed, a sign that he's agitated. I was about to go towards him when he abruptly stopped me. "You go ahead, you'll be late for work. I'm fine."

 

"Are you sure?" I asked again, feeling hesitant if I should go or not. His expression made me feel worried.

 

"I'm sure. Now go and do great, neh?" He said and urged me to go that I don't have a choice but nod my head in response. I looked at him again before heading out the door, confused.

 

—————-

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter