Double Date

My Mortal Enemy #143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA'S POV

 

 

"Thank you, ma’am. Come again." The person behind the cash register said as she handed me the stuff I bought in the bookstore. I was about to go home when I remembered to buy a gift for Mrs. Kwon. It’s her birthday this weekend and it has always been my habit to give her something even if it’s not her birthday. And I love giving her presents because though it’s not expensive, she's really appreciative of it. I always see her wear them even on special occasions. Jiyong is so lucky to have a mother like her.

 

 

My eyes widen when I saw the boutique where I'm supposed to buy the gift from. I went inside and started roaming around. I got excited when I saw that they have new items and most of them are on sale. I think I can buy something valuable with my budget here.

 

 

I walked further inside and saw a wide range of house decorations displayed on the shelves. But what caught my attention were the elegant looking accessory boxes displayed at the very corner.

 

 

Hmm...all of them are so nice. I leaned forward to have a better view and stared at them one by one, battling with myself what to get. "Can I help you?"

 

 

I got startled when somebody spoke behind me that I almost bumped my head on the top shelf. I straightened my back and face the person who almost caused me a bump on the head. "I'm just looking around." I said to the guy that has "Soobin" imprinted on his nameplate.

 

 

"Can I assist you then? I worked here for quite some time now and I think I can help you with your way around here." He said and flashed a wide grin at me. Is it me or the people here are just extra accommodating?

 

 

"Oh. Is that so?" He nodded repeatedly and waited for what I'm going to say next. I took the accessory box displayed on the shelf and showed it to him. "Do you have other colors for this?"

 

 

"Of course, right this way Uhmm..." he left his words hanging as he urged me to say my name.

 

 

"Dara. The name is Dara." I said and saw him smiled again. He's kind of funny if you'll ask me.

 

 

He led me towards the back counter of the store while I followed him behind. There were new stocks still sealed and I can't help myself but feel excited. If only I have more money in my wallet, I would buy more of their items and give some to Bom and Appa. Unfortunately, I only have enough to cover my gift for Mrs. Kwon. Bom and Appa have to wait for my next allowance. Kekekek.

 

 

"Here you go!" The guy named Soobin took out all the available items and spread it on top of the counter table for me to see and boy were they plenty. My eyes ogled at each box as I marveled at the different designs and colors displayed in front of me. "We still have other designs at the back if you don't want any of these." He said but there's already one item I got my eyes on.

 

 

"I want that one!" My mouth let out a high-pitched tone, overly excited at what I'm seeing. I pointed at the red velvet box embedded with tiny sparkling rhinestones and crystals around it which made it look simple and elegant. I took it and placed it on top of my palm as I stared at it like it’s the most beautiful thing in the world. "How much for this?" I asked, not cutting my gaze off the thing.

 

 

"It’s only cheap. You can have it for only 150,000 won." The smile on my face instantly faded as my eyes almost popped out of its sockets the moment I heard him say the price. What kind of items do they sell in this place? I'm not buying the whole store, just the box for Pete sake!

 

 

"That much?! But I don't have that much money." I frowned feeling dejected. I will really feel awfully sad if I won't be able to buy this but the only money I have here is my two weeks allowance. And if I spend it all, I won't have money left to survive this week and the following week. Oh Gosh, I won't be surprised if one of these days, I’ll become one of the beggars sitting on the park asking for alms.

 

 

"Oh." Soobin reacted, his face fell as well. "Why don't you choose something else? How about this?" He took another item sitting on the counter and showed it to me. "This also looks nice and a lot cheaper. What do you say?"

 

 

I shortly glanced at the thing he's holding but returned my gaze to the one still sitting on my palm. "But...But this looks prettier..." I pouted. I know I look like a child having tantrums right now and it’s kind of embarrassing that I'm being like this in front of a stranger but who cares? I.Want.This.Box!!

 

 

"Ring it for the lady."

 

 

I got startled when somebody spoke out of nowhere. I raised my head and tried to find who’s the owner of the voice. "Donghae?" He smiled at me before tucking both his hands inside his pockets. I put the box I was holding back on the table before turning around to fully face him. "What are you doing here?"

 

 

"Why? Am I not allowed to go out shopping now?" He asked sarcastically while grinning.

 

 

"No, I'm not saying you're forbidden to go out. I'm just surprised you're already here when you have too many chores to do back home Cinderelly." I joked as I crossed my arms over my chest. And in less than ten seconds, both of us erupted to a series of laughter. He was holding his stomach because of too much laughing and I was doing the same thing. Gosh, I missed this.

 

 

When our laughter finally died down, Donghae got a glimpse of the items still spread on top of the counter. I, on the other hand, glanced at Soobin who looks shocked as ever. "What were you buying anyway?" I heard Donghae asked as he inspected all the items he sees.

 

 

"A gift for..." I let my words hang when I remembered that he's not comfortable hearing anything that has to do with Jiyong. "...Someone. She's celebrating her birthday this weekend."

 

 

I saw him nodded in response, thankful that he no longer asked to whom am I going to give it to. Maybe because he knows it's a girl, I don't know.

 

 

He took the accessory box I was holding earlier and inspected it as well, just like what he did to the others. "Why don't you buy this instead? This is the one you were holding earlier, why not buy this as a present?" He asked.

 

 

"You're right. I wanted that one but I'm kinda short of money." I said feeling a bit reluctant.

 

 

"That's nonsense, Dara. You go get it. Don't worry about it." He said. My eyes widen when I saw him about to fish his wallet inside his back pocket. I immediately stopped him by holding him in his right arm.

 

 

"No, no, no Donghae. Don't you dare." I said and stared straight to his eyes, sending him signals that I do not approve of what he's about to do. I snatched the item from his hold and placed it back on the counter.

 

 

"It's ok Dara. I can handle this."

 

 

"No, Donghae. You know I'm not comfortable when someone does that for me." I told him. He sighed deeply before nodding his head.

 

 

"Fine. How about this?" He took the same box again and showed it in front of my face for me to get a closer view. "I'll lend you some money then just pay me when you're able." He offered. I opened my mouth and was about to protest but he abruptly stopped me by placing his forefinger on top of my lips. "Shh...I won't take no for an answer Dara. And besides, don't you think it's such a waste if somebody else bought this before you get the chance? Think of the person whom you're giving this to." He told me and though I hate to admit, he's right. Plus, the fact that if I want to give Mrs. Kwon something for her birthday, I want it to be the best. Gosh, if there's a contest for the best persuader, I think Donghae will be the winner. He's starting to convince me of buying that item.

 

 

"Fine. I'll pay you once I get my next allowance ok?" I said and pointed my forefinger to him. He just chuckled and finally took his wallet again.

 

 

Soobin on the other hand still can't believe what was happening in front of him. His eyes were still fixed to the both of us and the only time he regained his composure was when Donghae waved his hand with the card in front of his face. "We're buying this."

Donghae said and Soobin frowned as he took the card from him. He looks really funny.

 

 

"That'll be 150,000 won," Soobin muttered after swiping the card. He placed the accessory box inside the paper bag and hand it over to me. I can feel the excitement crawling up to me again once I got the hold of the item.

 

 

"You look cute when you're excited." I heard Donghae commented and that earned him a glare from me.

 

 

"I'm not cute. That word belongs to dogs or any other cute species in the world other than humans. " I countered and that made him laugh.

 

 

We bade goodbye to Soobin who’s now looking somberly which is weird. To all the salesman I've encountered, he's the only one who looks sad after selling something to their customers.

 

 

"That guy has a crush on you." I heard Donghae whispered to my ear once we're out of the store.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter