The Barrier

My Mortal Enemy #143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA'S POV

 

 

"That's enough Seven. You really don't have to push yourself to the edge." I told my own supervisor. Can you believe that? A subordinate reprimanding her superior is beyond weirdness but it has been our daily routine ever since the 'Han Byul Encounter' came to existence. Yes, that's right. The moment that woman came back to his life, he's been nothing but a workaholic freak. He said he needs to surpass whatever that woman can do and that, unfortunately, is the same as his field of work.

 

 

"You can go now if you want. Leave me be." He said as he continues with what he's doing. Aisht! this stubborn guy.

 

 

"Is this all about that Han Byul again?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest.

 

 

"What? Of course not. Why are you dragging her name in this conversation? I just have to finish this." He said without breaking his gaze off his poor laptop which he keeps on typing really hard, I'm afraid the keys will soon leap out of its board.

 

 

"Finish what? I don't remember us having deadlines until the end of the month. Just admit it."

 

 

He finally looked at me and gave me his deadpan expression. "Admit what?" he asked.

 

 

"Admit that all of these have something to do with your arch-nemesis," I told him and that made his brows connect in an instant.

 

 

He set aside his laptop and crossed his arms over his chest just like I did and leaned casually on his chair like a boss. "And what exactly are you pointing at Sandara Park?" He asked, his voice laced with authority. Oh-oh. He said my full name. That means he's irritated and I don't know what he'll do if ever I said something that will definitely tick him off. But...since when do I care? kekekek.

 

 

"That you can't go on with your life thinking that there's someone out there that can snatch your title any time soon. And when I say soon, it could be tomorrow...the day after that, or worst, now." I told him and that made his mouth hanging open. Yeah, I know I'm a little harsh to him but I have to. He has to wake up from the nightmare he's in and I'm just saving him.

 

 

"I didn't know you can be so harsh like that Sandara Park." He said when he finally recovered from my comment. Ugh. Enough with my full name already.

 

 

"Come on, Seven. You're better than that." I said and walked in front of his table to have a better look at him. He stared at me longer than I expected but I didn't back down and looked straight to his eyes. When I thought he wouldn't give in, he finally heaved a deep breath and sighed in defeat.

 

 

"Fine. It's because of her. How can she do this huh? I worked hard to be where I am right now then she'll always show up and steal everything." He muttered but that made my curiosity hiked up. I think there's more to it than just their mere career competition.

 

 

I slowly sat on the chair in front of his table before asking him the question that has been bugging me ever since. "Do you...by any chance...know each other, personally? I mean other than being competitors?"

 

 

He hastily shifted his gaze away to look anywhere but me. I saw him swallowed hard and fidget on his spot like a guilty person being caught from something he did. A smile suddenly tugged on my lips. This is new to him that I rarely see, being nervous and all.

 

 

"She...She's..."

 

 

"She's what?"

 

 

"She's my ex-girlfriend..."

 

 

Oh my God! I honestly didn't expect this. I thought they're just romantically involved like someone has a crush on someone. "Oh." was the only thing I said. What? I'm shocked.

 

 

When he saw my surprised face, he suddenly chuckled but it didn't last long for his smile immediately faded away. "We were together way back in college. We were happy and contented with what we have even if almost all the people around us were against our relationship."

 

 

"What? Why?" I asked.

 

 

"Well, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth like she was. Everyone in our school loves and adores her and just like the typical society that we have, they all think that someone like her must be with someone who belongs at the same level, rich and famous." He bowed his head and played with his hands placed above his lap. "One day, her parents learned about our relationship and did something to break us apart. They looked for someone and partnered him with her. I saw them together and I was devastated because even if I hate to admit it to myself, they look good together." He smirked but I can tell that he's still hurting up until now. "I... I decided to broke up with her the following day."

 

 

"What? Are you serious? Why did you do that?" I asked in hysterics as I scowled at him.

 

 

"Because I don't want her to suffer because of me. I don't know what her future will be if ever she decided to stick with me. I know her parents, they will disown her once she chose me over them and I don't want that to happen." I was speechless. I didn't know he's been carrying this kind of problem for a long time. It just doesn't show because of him being bubbly all the time. "I told her that I want to pursue my career after we graduate and her being with me will make it difficult to achieve. I made it looked like she'll be a burden for me from reaching my goals."

 

 

"Is that the reason why you strive to be on top of what you do?"

 

 

"Could be....and I also want to prove something not just to his parents but to everyone who looked down on me that I can be the person worthy of her. That someday, when we see each other, I have something that she could be proud of but I think that won't happen now. She hated me and promised that she'll do everything so I won't reach my dreams."

 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

 

"This isn't the first time she competed with me, Dara. She's been competing since day one that we broke up, I think. Every time she learned that I have a new job, she always finds a way to be in the same field as mine and do whatever it takes to surpass me." He surprisingly chuckled as if remembering something funny in the past.

 

 

"I think you both still love each other." I suddenly commented that it made him looked at me. "Don't deny it, it shows."

 

 

"I don't know. This whole thing is eating both of us up. I'm slowly getting annoyed by her and I know she is too. I think we're better off as nothing." He said with finality and took his laptop again to continue with his work. I shook my head in disappointment. I can feel that there's still hope for them but what can I do if they're the ones giving up already. My mind suddenly drifted elsewhere. Their situation is somehow the same as ours. What if that scenario happened to us? What are we going to do? How are we going to handle it? I just hope that we don't end up like them...better off as nothing.

 

 

--------------

 

 

"That's odd, it's already time to go and your school bus isn't here yet?" I heard Seven commented on his table. I was done with my work today and I'm just packing up my things getting ready to leave. He's right. Jiyong always arrives a little early before our working hours end to pick me up but today is diff

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter