Payback

My Mortal Enemy #143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA'S POV

 

 

Finally, the pageant is over. I can feel my soul leaving my body because of too much exhaustion. I want to rest now, and when I say now, I mean right NOW.

 

 

I made my way towards the dressing room to change. I want to go home and tell Appa I won. It's a good thing he wasn't able to come and watch for I don't know what will happen if he did, what with all the drama earlier. He will definitely go berserk.

 

 

I went out of the room after changing when I saw a guy leaning against the wall of the corridor. I checked who it was and saw that it was Jaejoong and it seems like he's waiting for someone. His gaze was cast downwards while his hands were tucked inside his pockets. He lifted his head and smiled awkwardly before taking a few tentative steps towards me.

 

 

"H-Hey Dara. Can I talk to you for a minute?" He said as he scratched the back of his head.

 

 

"Jae..."

 

 

"Please? This won't take long." He pleaded. I nodded in response and waited for him to talk. "I did it because... I...I was blackmailed."

 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

 

"Krystal. She knows something about me that I wish to forget. I don't know how she knew. I just don't have any choice but to follow whatever she says." He explained; his eyes now glued to the floor.

 

 

I heaved a deep sigh and looked at him. I wanted to ask what that something was but if he wanted to keep it secret, who am I to ask? I was about to open my mouth to speak when he suddenly fished something out of his pocket and tried to hand it to me. "What is that?" I asked as I look at his hand, confused.

 

 

I took what looks like an old picture from his hand so I can see it clearly. I squinted my eyes, trying to decipher who was in the picture and in seconds, my eyes went wide when I recognized who's in it.

 

 

"Yes, it’s me..." he said as he bowed his head. "I was fat and you can say ugly if you want. That was me before I decided to change myself. I can't take the bullying of people who thinks they're perfect. I strived harder to look like what I am right now. I even joined this stupid pageant to prove them they're wrong. That they don't have the right to call me ugly."

 

 

"But you're beautiful." I cut him off as I stared at his hands now curled into a tight fist. "Everyone is. You just have to start believing it yourself first. I'm always being called a nerd but I don't care. If that's their opinion who cares? But it’s not an excuse to hurt people, it won't make you any greater than them." I told him as I returned the picture to him.

 

 

"I'm sorry Dara. I really am. You won't believe how bad I feel right now because of what I did. But the friendship, it’s all true." He said trying his hardest so I would forgive him.

 

 

"Don't worry Jae, I forgive you." He smiled and took a step forward but I stopped him. "...but let me heal first."

 

 

His smile suddenly faded as he stared at me, looking dejected. "I understand Dara." He said. He didn't wait for my answer as he slowly turns around and prepared to leave. "Thank you for being true to me, you're the first person who made me feel free and be the real me." He finally said before walking away. I stared at his retreating back, the pain in my heart gradually ebbing away. I watched as he turned at the corner.

 

 

"Thanks to you too Jaejoong. For the friendship."

 

 

-------------------

 

 

"So, he was chugly huh?"

 

 

"What?"

 

 

"Chugly. Short for chubby-ugly. It’s good that you two didn't end up together. Just imagine how your kids would look like. You'll create a horde of porky pigs running around your house." Bom commented as we walk around the mall.

 

 

"Bommie!! You're so mean!" I said as I hit her arm. She can sometimes be rude most especially if she doesn't like the person.

 

 

"What? He hurt you, Dara, what can I say to that lying bastard? That he's nice and he just did it because he has no choice? Well for me he has lots of choices but he chose to be on the wrong side of the boat. Now he's Chugly to me." She muttered and sipped the drink she's holding. I chuckled and just let her be. I know I can't win against her arguments.

 

 

Speaking of winning, "Hey, thanks for helping me win the pageant. You all did great back there." I said and hooked my hand on her arm.

 

 

"What do you mean? It was all you. You're daebak!" She complimented and both of us laughed.

 

 

"You think so? But I couldn't just win that by myself. You guys helped me big time especially in selling those tickets. Gosh, who could sell ten times more than Krystal's in just a day? I heard we were way behind her the night before the pageant." I commented while I sipped my drink as well. We went inside a souvenir shop and looked for something to buy.

 

 

"Well, Minzy said that someone bought boxes of tickets that night but he doesn't want to let her know who he was." She shrugged her shoulders while checking out an item. My brows furrowed as I think about what she said. Who could have bought those? And it’s a HE? "The important thing is, you won. And no one will dare cross us because we rule!" She added as she danced in her place looking like an idiot. I laughed at her antics and tamed her before the security guards come to us. I shook my head but the thought still lingers in my mind. Who could have done that?

 

 

---------------------

 

 

Bom dropped me off at the gate after we went to the mall. As usual, she bought lots of useless stuff that she said she would probably need in the future. Aigoo, that woman really needs to see an expert for her shopaholic problems.

 

 

As for me, I bought only one from that souvenir shop we went to earlier. I stared at the paper bag I'm holding and smiled to myself. I didn't expect that I'll be buying something like this and give it to someone especially to him. Come to think of it, never in my life did it occur to me because of what we were before but now...now it’s different.

 

 

I made my way towards the mansion with the intention of finding him and give my...hmm, what should I call this anyway? A thank you gift? Nah, too corny. How about appreciation gift? Aisht, why is naming this thing a problem now?

 

 

I was still thinking of what to call it when I heard someone talking from the kitchen. I peeked inside and saw that it was Jiyong talking on his phone.

 

 

"What? What do you mean you're coming here?" He said in an angry tone of voice. Who is coming here? "No! Why would you listen to them? Are they paying you to do this?" He sounded really pissed as he paced back and forth while holding his phone against his ears. "It’s up to you but don't expect me to accommodate you. I'm busy and..." he suddenly stopped talking when he noticed something and darted his gaze towards my direction. Wait, my direction? Omo! Did he see me? Oh God! I better leave now before he accuses me of eavesdropping.

 

 

I turned around and took tentative steps, careful not to make any sound like a bunny hopping ninja. When I thought that I successfully got out of his radar, my ears perked up when I heard his voice behind me.

 

 

"Stop right there, geek!"

 

 

All the hair in my back suddenly stood when I heard his voice. I raised both of my hands in surrender as I slowly turned around like a criminal being caught in a raid or something. He looked at me from head to toe and tilted his head to the left, confusion written all over his face.

 

 

I pointed at his phone for I can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter