บทที่ 9

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Mine by Bazzi)

 

Key, the half-masculine boy gazed weirdly at the other figure while doing his duty wiping the glasses. He can't stop thinking why the latter is so immersed into her own world, smiling like an idiot.

"Incase, you won lottery, you should just share some with me," he said, putting the wines onto the reserved space. As when the younger's face tilted up to see him, she only flashed a smile.

Gulping the coke bottle and letting the carbonated liquid flow through , Amber began to speak, "I'd never thought I could engage to such an embarassing moment,"

 

"Which...?"

 

"The idea of winning over that top of mountain had freak me out, Key. Not even half of the way, I need to quit. I was dizzy and ended up puking all along the trail. Its very shameful for a person who look tough like me, you know. Maybe the girls are gossiping about one member who didnt reach the peak and it is exactly me," she told and sighed. Later, she chuckled as the moment playing inside her head again.

"I'm thankful there's my housemate to keep me company all the way down. So glad, she's there,"

 

"Based on your story-telling, it wasn't only you the single person whom cannot make it onto the top, Ber. There's someone went along,"

"Don't mind tell me who she is?"

 

Amber straightly said away, "Krystal Jung, my housemate. We are in the same course but she's furthering MA. Sometimes, I don't get it. She can be very rude and mean, but the other time, she is very soft and... pretty beautiful,"

Taking a glance on him, Amber smiled at the end.

 

Key replied with a smirk then, "Oh-ho, I found cupid in your eyes, Amber Liu," he moved his face closer, "You like her already,"

 

"What...?? Noooo..." Amber denied, and avoided her cousin's meaningful stare.

 

"What no? That face, that greasy smile, you think I'm an idiot not to guess you're into her? Come on, it is me, the love expert talking," Key said, fixing the bow from his collar.

"If I'm right, you have to remain silent,"

 

Clearly, the boyish girl was speechless afterward and that made Key laughed at her.

 

"Oh my god, Amber... You are not new in this, okay? We both, aren't newbie," he paused and grabbed the glass and poured a red wine. He put it right in front of her, "Enjoy it. My treat since you found someone new you like, finally,"

 

"Liking her personally doesn't mean I'm into her. We're friends, Key. She is my housemate,"

 

The qeer raised eyebrows, "So?"

 

"So..." Amber took time to continue the words. "I don't know, slight crush like this will go away really fast. Just wait and see,"

"I think I'm being normal,"

 

"What the heck?" Key interrupted. "Which part of you is normal? Tell me?"

 

"Well, she's so pretty. Not only me, but everyone adoring her perfect visual too. I mean, if you look at her for the first time, you'll be amazed. Although you're obviously into guy, her flawless face could strike you too as well,"

 

"Hmmh, you pray for that because it is impossible," Key said in his diva tone.

 

"No... no offense, Key. She's super beautiful. Her eyes, her lips and her... perfect nose.. I think I'm just admiring a wonderful nature of that woman,"

"I like her for being rarely beautiful, that's it. Not a big deal," done explaining, Amber gulped the coke until it finished.

 

"You know, you explained more than you need," Key said, pushing gently the wine glass for her to take. "Please take my humble wine treat, cousin,"

Chuckling back, Amber received the offer and took a sip of it.

"The taste is different and amazing,"

 

Key smiled, "You're welcome," then his voice changed and became softer.

 

"It was hard for you, Ber. I'm sorry if I didnt able to give a hand when you were heartbroken. Deeply down, you know I love you so much and I want you to be happy with girl that you love,"

"Meantime also, I'm glad that I have you. The truth that we are the only gays in our big family tree, I can say, you're very important in my life. If you're happy, I will be totally happy beyond the cloud nine too..."

 

Amber stared at the brother-like figure, lips clamped together. "Thanks, Key. I love you too,"

 

Ensured he's completed all the duties, the grey-hair Key walked out from the bartender side and took a seat beside his younger cousin. He served himself the red wine, getting more into their conversation.

"Do you still remember the day you came out to me?"

She closed her eyes, nodding.

 

"That was the first time I tried really hard how to be mature and professional, for you. All the things you mentioned about Minah, I was so convinced that you're crazy about her. You didn't stop smiling like an idiot and every word you've said, they were all greasy and made me wanna puke directly,"

The cousins laughed together and Key furthered more,

"You've came very far away to be at this point, Amber. Although you didn't tell me right away that everything you did was because of your mother, and our family's hope, it doesn't mean I can't read you in precise. I know you, when you're sad, when you're depressed and how would be your face if you're delighted with something, I'm expert in that and you can't lie to me,"

"I hate it when Minah dumped you like that, I really hated her for what she did and I'm sorry to say this because I'm letting you know I really care about you, buddy. I'm so okay if you want to rely anything on me, and I'm glad to be close with you. One thing that always make me worry is, you stopped to let people get into your heart after your failed relationship with Minah,"

"Amber, this is not the end of the world, you deserve to be loved too, not just you loving them and treat them very nice,"

 

The younger figure didnt mutter or reply anything back, she just keep her eyes on the drink but her heart and ears are all open to listen for Key.

 

"You like her, and you didn't deny that. It's been so long you came to me and admit you like someone for real. What is it that stopping you to love again?"

 

Amber breathed in deep and released the air for a while, before answering the question.

 

"I love to see everyone happy, Key. My feeling is not important. Sometimes, although I tried hard to fit in, I still feel I was left behind. My housemates are feminine and so into girl's stuff. Everytime they talk about liking boys, or you know some other unneccessary things related to our normal being, I kinda feel hurt,"

"I feel like this world doesn't need a boring person like me. So, despite of hoping them to love me, I'll give my love for them, its also make me happy,"

 

"You're saying, no one love you? So where's me in your life, Ber? I'm here, I love you, I'm your beloved friend. I'm the annoying gay who will never stop pushing you to find your own happiness, to fight for the girl you like," Key said.

 

"You persistent gay, you know," Amber laughed. And the expression changed as she said, "I had fight for the girl that I love, Key. I did it and it turned out so bad. I thought at first, being lovey-dovey would make us as real couple but unfortunately I realized it was the only me who so in love, not her. I did everything to make Minah like me and when she said she did, I'm so happy. But I'm upset once again when she clarified she only like me as friend, as sister, not as lover,"

 

Key flinched as he heard that, "Ughh, I hate people who declare the friendzone, sisterzone or any zone! She didnt suppose to say she loves you if she is not!"

 

"Yeah, she didn't have to say that, right?" Amber sadly added.

 

"You know what, Amber? The way to revenge her is by showing to this girl that you're happy on your own and didnt even need her again,"

 

"Yep, that's what I'm trying to do here Kibum," Amber took another sip.

 

And Key repeated after, "However, I still hoping that housemate will be different. If you're showing so much love and care, I guarantee, she will fall deep with you,"

 

"You guarantee?" Amber raised her eyebrows, chuckling.

 

"Yes, I'm sure. You need little touch on that messy hair, full transformation on your always 'dark-prince' outfits and... also, you need to learn how to tackle a girl from the expert," Key showed his proudest face.

 

"From that statement, I think the only expert is you... Right?"

 

"In general, yes I'm expert in tackling people but, only for men. If in specific, I'm not expert when it comes to girl-girl relationship,"

 

"So, who's then?"

 

"You'll meet her later, don't worry,"

Key only narrowed his tiny eyes, giving Amber a question mark inside her head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________

Triple update because I was inspired after watching Alex Danvers and Kara Danvers in American tv show Supergirl.

 

Whush, I wish that 'coming out' scene is always easy like that.

 

So,

How important is coming out to you?

For me, I didnt need to tell my uncle I'm gay because he knew I don't have eyes on boys since born. He detected that I'm so gay when I came back home and used to be dreamy and zoned out a lot after meeting my first love.

Then, I came out to him seriously when I knew the girl I love is actually engaged to guy. I cried in front of him and ended up falling asleep on his lap. It was so embarrassing and nothing to make me feel proud of being gay but, what my uncle said afterward, I remarked it very well until now.

 

"I believe you love her very much, Anisart (for the first time, he called me by my real name). I don't know how things go if girl like a girl because when I've met my wife, I'm so confident that she will be mine and I have a chance. So, about this, if you love her, make sure she's happy. The least you can do is praying for her happiness. Don't worry if you can't be with her because I'm sure my love for you is more important than anyone else. I pray for you, one day, there will be a special girl who will love you as much as I am,"

 

And I cried more because I knew his words are true.

 

Uncle, rest in peace.