บทที่ 23

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Fermata by Girls' Generation) 

 

Author POV 

 

Key scrunched his face horribly when Amber came out from the fitting room, wearing the mix of denim jeans and oversized white shirt. He quickly rose from the cushion, approaching her as his eyes studied the tomboy bottom up. 

"The heck is this style??? This is not Romeo but Captain Jack Sparrow!" he stated, almost disgusted. "Liu, your sister was right! Your sense of picking clothes is terrible! I repeat, terrible!" 

 

Amber scoffed, rolling her eyes annoyingly then. She ignored the diva Key and stared at the reflection of herself in the mirror, spinning her skinny body around several times as she claimed she preferred comfortable and casual style like that. 

That made Key screamed in frustration, 

"AMBER! You're Romeo for goodness sake!" 

 

"Would you turn down your volume? We are not in the night market, Kibum," warned Amber, eyes still glued at the mirror. "What's wrong this style? Let's say I'm a humble Romeo," 

 

"Humble your ," Key hissed, folding his arms closed to his chest. Later, he walked to nearest closet and chose a few pairs of outfits before coming back to the spot. He patiently introduced all the mix and match of the clothes to his younger cousin and tried to convince her to throw away the Sparrow's ugly fashion. 

"Try this one first," he passed a pair of tight dark blue jeans with liner white shirt. 

 

"Totally the same colour and style though," Amber stated as she took the clothes. 

 

"Hey, the shirt you're holding is Emporio Armani, exclusive from Georgio Armani. It will make you look more like a handsome and elegant Romeo, because that's how modern world rules," Key replied, almost sound like J. Alexander, the fixed judge for American Next Top Model. 

"Hurry up please? I have personal meeting with Jessica tonight, about me signing a three month contract with Gucci Korea," 

 

"Key," 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"Nobody asks," Amber joked then earned a slight slap from her brother-like on top of her head. 

She got into the fitting room, changed her clothes and walked out out for the newbie fashionista's display. Key studied Amber's appearance from head to the toe, judging hard either was is good or not for her special night. "Perfect, but you need special boots to suit this style," 

 

"So???" Amber frowned. 

 

"Go change, and let's pay for that mix and match. I think you need to have the Combat boots from Dr. Marten, I'm going to shop online for you," he told, hanging back all the scattered clothes on the steel rack. 

 

"What in the world is that, Key??? You gonna get me shoes from some kind of doctor???" 

 

"No..." Key blew a sigh. "Dr. Marten is a footwear brand for men. They are shoe-maker, Amber," 

 

"Oh...Sorry, I'm a dumb fashionist," muttered Amber. 

 

"Yes you are," Key gave his flat and lazy tone. Before the tomboy step into the fitting room again, he blurted out a question, 

"What's going on with your Juliet?" 

 

"Kyulkyung, the Chinese girl is my Juliette," Amber replied. 

 

"ITS JULIET you fool!....... What??? So Krystal?" Key lifted his eyebrows in confusion. 

 

"She's Cleopatra and her Mark Anthony is Dahyun," told Amber. 

 

"Unfortunately huh?" 

 

Amber just shrugged as her spontaneous answer. 

 

"Well, don't worry, buddy. Just enjoy your time with those beautiful girls, cherish each and every second with them, okay? Get close to that Cleopatra as close as you can and if possible snatch her away from that evil Mark Anthony," 

 

"That is the stupidiest thing you'd ever said," Amber shot her unimpressed look at Key.

 

He rolled his eyes in annoyance, 

"Whatever," 

 

 

 

 

 

*** 

 

(Listening to La Vie en Rose by IZONE) 

 

Almost  a week later, Amber and the other member of Life Literature Club were all set to attend the most prestigious night of their lives or known as the Spring Ball Festival. Due to it's freedom in theme, the organizer encouraged the contestants to be whatever they wanted to be. 

Wendy became the host for that night, having Irene as her close company. They both portrayed the characters of 'My Love from Another Star' where Wendy played role as Do Min Joon and Irene as her love interest, Cheon Song Yi. 

The boyish who famous with her calm-look appeared side to side with her partner for that event, Kyulkyung where they fulfilled the characters as Romeo and Juliet succesfully. They stepped in together into the spacious hall with the other pair, Minkyung and Yebin. The two appeared in mysterious style of Bonnie and Clyde, a couple who were infamous of their crimes for killing people. 

 

"Omo, you're so handsome unnie," Minkyung complimented, totally impressed with Amber as the flower boy Romeo. 

Amber smiled, "Thank you Minky-ah, you're not bad as well," 

 

"When it will start??? I can't wait anymoree," said Yebin, who has been standing faithfully by the tallest girl's side. "Unnie, first let's get the food?" 

"Hisshh, don't you have another goal rather than eating? You're gaining weight, small bean," replied Minkyung, taking a glace of her own reflection from the clear glass window as they passed it. 

"No, I live for food and food is life," Yebin snorted, grinning happily. 

 

"By the way...." Kyulkyung voiced out as they all precisely at the center of the hall. "Why you're alone Dubu??? You should be with Krystal unnie, right?" 

That question also attracted the rest of girls' attention too as they asked Dahyun the same question. 

"Aaa, she is still in the bathroom," the flawless face replied casually, her eyes wildly checked around, seeking for food, the same interest she shares with the other girl Yebin.

"Last night I checked, she was so insecure of what she would look like with the Cleopatra-style. I told her to relax but she kept worrying about that," 

"Krystal unnie will magically appear in any minute, don't worry guys," 

 

"Look at Irene unnie," Minkyung interrupted. "I think she's the most beautiful girl tonight," 

Yebin and Dahyun- the food hunters directly stared at the figure of Irene from afar, followed by Kyulkyung and Amber whom been fixing each other earrings since they walked into that space. 

 

"Whoaaahhhh... true goddess...." Dahyun praised, with her eyes full of graphic hearts. "I'll pay million won if she exposes her secret to be such a beauty like that..." 

 

"Pfft, keep dreaming, Dubu-face, keep dreaming," Yebin sarcastically said. "There's no way you can reach her pretty level. Maybe by undergoing plastic surgery, you can. But, still nothing to compare with her, you know..." 

They laughed when Dahyun smacked Yebin's head and made the little girl growled angrily. 

 

"All of you look so beautiful tonight, girls," Amber said, curling a calm smile again. She exchanged look with Kyulkyung then, "Especially you, my Kyulliet, I'm so lucky to have you for today," 

The group whistled together as they saw Kyulkyung blushed in rosy colour, smiling timidly as she thanked the older girl for that such of great recognization. 

 

"Oh my goddess... girls, look at your back, the entrance," suddenly Dahyun asked, has been mesmerized by the other girl's outstanding beauty. 

Again, the group shifted their attention to the special gateway and caught Krystal, in her appearance as the woman version of pharaoh from ancient Egypt. Thanks to Seulgi, she has all the make up stuff to transform the pretty woman almost likely as Cleopatra. 

Awkwardly approached the girls, Krystal greeted them first with her short 'hi'. 

 

"Hey, " she turned to Amber, who still staring at her without a word. 

 

 

 

 

 

(Playing Oh My Goddess by TRAXX) 

 

Amber POV 

I sneaked little glances as I can, I can't help it, I felt like my breath has been stolen from my lungs when all the eyes turned to her. I can't help but admire the way her dark eyes crinkle at the corners when she smiled. Every now and then I imagined what I would do if given the chance to explain my feelings. Knowing myself, I'd stare at her for a few moments as words failed me.

When I finally did snap to attention she's looking at me weirdly and, in frenzied panic, I said the first thing that I can think of, my words had tripping over my tongue.

"I- wow. You just- I- you look… beautiful."

Cliche and awkward, I want to slap myself for muttering that. 

But I'm lucky, she has smiled. 

 

And when the other weird stares from them, I cleared my throat. 

"Since everybody is here, let's get it started girls," I said, half-unsatisfied to the fact that I can't stare at her any longer. Kyulkyung was first to link her right arm with mine, as we looked at each other and smiled. 

I was clueless on how this ball should be carried on, since I skipped the prom night back then in the last day as high schooler. I was terrified to wear dress, and the total worst, I can't imagine myself having a partner, walking through with a boy by my side. 

Not even 20 minutes it has started, I felt nauseated, not because of the crowd, but the worries I still have about my past. 

What if, I can't fit in with these girls? 

They're all lovely, and nice but I still have a strong gut inside, telling me that something was missing. Something like a hole, or a longing for something else. 

A feeling that I can't describe, for back then and now. Nothing was resolved. 

 

"You're pale, Amber. Like a ghost," the beautiful voice caught in my ears. I didn't have to guess who was the owner because yes indeed she's Krystal. If they said Irene was the prettiest girl for the night, well... for me, Krystal stole my view of attraction. 

"No..." I chuckled a sigh, pretending that I was fine as I looked at her in the eyes. 

"You were supposed to dance with Kyulkyung," she said, sipping the fruit cocktail casually. 

"Well, I don't feel right to do so," I replied. 

 

We paused from saying anything further, watching over hundred of people in the hall, whom danced along the music, laughed out loud and lost their senses together. I'd only gave myself to steal glances at my right side, secretly admiring this beautiful creature. I didn't know what to say next, and didn't have any mood to start a conversation either. 

I wish the time is frozen, where everybody is gone and the hall left with only two of us. 

Me and her. 

 

"You know," suddenly she voiced out as her eyes still staring at the crowd. "Cleopatra's beauty wasn't her biggest asset," 

 

"Oh, really? So then?" 

 

" She may have been more renowned for her intellect than her appearance. She spoke as many as a dozen languages and was educated in mathematics, philosophy and even astronomy, she slayed them all," 

 

"Wow, that's a new one," 

 

Krystal smacked her lips, nodding and put the glass on the table. "Unfortunately, she didn't use her brainiac brain when she comitted suicide with Mark Antonius. If she do so, probably she could have time to fix the war," 

 

"You had analyzed her quite well," I let out a chuckle, took a little glance at Krystal's face. "How bad or nice they were, they has been engraved in world history. In Arabic, they say 'Albaqa fi il zakirah', means, in the memories of. I think if I've been transported back to the Ancient Egypt, I'm gonna fall for her too, you know? Why not? She's the beauty with brain," 

 

"If the real Cleopatra looks like Elizabeth Taylor, of course, can't help it. But... if she's not? Will you?" Krystal shot a question, lifting her left eyebrow. 

 

"I guess because she came from the royal bloodline, there's possibility for her to be the one of the most beautiful woman all the time. The princesses been treated specially and exclusively. They didn't eat what the lowest caste eat, and the people work for them- there's nothing much to do rather than spending time combing hair and beautify themselves. No wonder the story of princesses always included their nice looks and always become the main attraction," 

 

She replied, "Hmm... somehow convinced,"

 

"I don't know how the real Cleopatra looks like. But I love her other representative tonight, " I said, staring at her dark eyes. "You're stunning, Krys. The girls and I were astonished as we saw you at first. I must say you stole the spotlight, you know..." 

 

Her face changed and I saw her forehead frowned.

 

"I don't really like the attention," she muttered out, fixing her long hair as she shifted her eyes directly to me. "I hate it," 

 

"Why?" I tried to ask. 

 

"Because... its stupid," she replied in her casual tone. "I know I'm weird but getting all the eyes on me, is one of my least favourite thing in Earth. I wonder why they pay so much attention to someone they barely know," 

 

"Maybe because they didn't know, that's why they were staring at you?" 

 

She muffled her breath, 

"Probably," 

 

We engaged in silence, peacefully. Krystal has refilled her glass twice, while I'm still enjoying myself-observing other people. I've been thinking about asking her to the dance floor, perhaps trying to have fun a little but when I noticed she wasn't really comfortable, so I put the intention to the end. 

 

"I thought you are so good at the party," she exclaimed and earned my attention again. "Don't mind me here, you can go and have fun with the girls," 

 

Did she just read my mind?

 

That was when I had a second thought about it. Maybe I should use the chance? She said this is her first party in college so I guess why not, we come out and have some fun? At least, I won't be a pathetic loner who always sit in the corner.  

 

"Krys," I called her name. "What if... we try together?" 

 

"Try what?" 

 

"I mean, let's join the girls? You can clearly see they are having so much fun right now," I pointed at Yebin and the girls, who were dancing like their life are depending on it. "When I went to my friend's party before, I just grabbed beers, and isolated myself at the bar. Nothing happened," 

"But since everything's changed, and, I'm trying to be a better person, you know, to cherish every moment in my life, I think it will be nice to ask you for a dance, am I right?" I tried to contain my smile as I finished my words. 

 

"And you will be honoured if I join you?" she added. 

 

I looked at her for a moment, neatly staring at every inch of her beautiful face, holding my nervous breath from coming out as I flashed a smile.  

"Yes, " I said, nodding. 

 

We both were stunned by the sudden change of music, from the loud banging drum and bass, it has been replaced by the gentle sound of piano and has stopped everyone immediately. 

Wendy and Irene were the first couple to step out and began the waltz. As the smooth music continued, the other couple followed them closed. I saw Minkyung and Yebin then Kyulkyung and Dahyun, until they disappeared in the crowd. 

 

(Playing Song of the Moon) 

 

Giving out my right hand, I smiled and asked, "May I have this dance?" as I swallowed the lump in my throat. 

Nervous. 

 

She shifted her eyes at me, staring in quite of an amount of time, making my heart skipped a beat. I didn't look away and let our eyes gazed into each other for another more. 

I let myself to wait a little longer although I watched how she sticked out her tiny hand and touched mine. My warm hand welcomed hers with a slight grip as I moved my body, led the walk straight to the centre hall, eventually joining in the slow dance session. 

For the first time in my life, I felt infinite. That I could live forever by just doing this. Standing still and gazing straight into her eyes without a word. I don't know for how many times, but I still falling for her. 

 

 

(Listening to Still Falling For You by Ellie Goulding)

 

"Hey," she voiced out, keeping our distance closed by hugging my shoulders gently. I can feel she tilted up her head as I looked down and caught her eyes with mine.

"Cleopatra had once said, music and moody food, of us, that trade us in love," she told, almost sound like a whisper to me though. 

 

"Oh... never heard of that..." I replied, keeping my palms at her torso, letting our bodies danced to the music slowly. 

 

"I've read somewhere in the internet," Krystal furthered. "Your habit of scrolling through the phone before bed has become my habit too, you know. Thanks to you, finally I can have a peaceful sleep every night," 

 

I chuckled, "I'm so honoured," 

Then, another quote appeared suddenly in my mind. 

 

"Hey Krys, I have one for you too," I said. She released her arms then looked at me afterwards, asking what is it. 

I smiled and stated, 

"Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night," 

 

 

Krystal, once again made me lost in her deep stare. I can't look away, still gazing at this beauty until I sensed her lips were moving, more like she's trying to say something but there's no voice out. 

 

"Amber," and finally she spoke. 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"I wanted to tell this before, but there's always intruder who stopped me from saying it," she said. 

 

"Well, say it now then," I replied. 

 

Before she can even opened , the whole place darkened and all the light had been switched off suddenly.

I felt Krystal held tight my wrist, the sign that she probably in fear. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______

The next chapter is coming soon!