บทที่ 48

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Love You to Death by Taeyang) 

 

Amber's POV 

 

First day in the workplace gave me the feeling almost as same as how I stepped to this place years ago. Penniless, hungry and absolutely nothing. 

I was afraid I might be dying of hunger or something because after graduating from the language academy, I spent quite a time as part time worker in the grocery store. I used to starve for weeks, just to pay for the room I rented and even, stole snacks and carbonated drinks, before I sneaked out and secretly ate them at the back. 

There were days I can't sleep comfortably during winter and there were nights I spent on working overtime, just to survive in this foreign city. Everytime I rang my sister, she would ask me, why in the world I chose to live far away from our homeland and struggled so hard to earn money despite I can just ask our parents for monthly expenses. I refused to tell her my real intention coming to South Korea. Otherwise, I lied. I said I hunted for experience and eager to live independently. 

The truth is, I want to live this life like others, but differently.

If other, normal people, go out in the morning to work, I can exactly do the same too. If they can enjoy their nightlife with parties and beers, I still think there's no difference for me as well. So, I decided to undergo that normal routine like ordinary people, without having to live under my parents' rules. 

Only, I'm searching for a reason to live. My arrival in South Korea was to find myself. Why I feel different when I was built to live normally?

I was searching for the answer at everywhere I went and to everyone I met. Until, at one point, I gave up. 

I'm sicked of reasoning. 

Started from that day, I did everything not because I want to know why I have to do it, but because I feel like doing it. I figured out that, the more I spend time asking of how and why, the more useless the answers would be. 

Thus, that's why I want to enjoy this life in my own way. 

 

 

"Daydreaming in your first day?" Uncle Kim's voice echoed in the place as I felt his big hand on my shoulder. I was standing at the balcony, staring at the farm-view and reminiscing my old days when he walked in. 

 

"Now should be the lunch break, my child. What are you thinking? Your wife at home?" he teased. 

 

I sniggered a smile and shook off my head, denied his playful statement. "I was just admiring that house there. I love seeing a real-nature like design. The roof, backyard, surrounded by corn-field, haaahh... classic but very-very beautiful," I said at him. 

 

"Unfortunately Mr. Han's son didnt look it that way, Amber. That's why it is being abandoned," 

 

I remember the owner of the majestic house was a kind-hearted man named Han Yeok Soo. His wife passed away long time ago, and that made him left with his young son, Han Ji Hyun, who was the national athlete in baseball. 

I heard from Key that Mr. Han suffered from tuberculosis and his son always being far away reaching for his dreams in business after retiring from sports. Sadly, the kind man lost his long battle with the disease and made his son automatically inherited all his fortunes, including that house that I've been admiring since my day one here. 

 

"It's a good house," I said, "Abandoning a good house means you abandon all the good memories," 

 

Uncle Kim nodded as he glanced at the house too. "Mr. Han helped me a lot to grow my business. His tips always useful for every beginner and if he didn't let me 'experimenting' at the corner of his house, this farm you're watching, that provided jobs for hundreds of people, could not exist at all," 

He chuckled for a moment, " But, I love his tea the most," 

 

Understanding, I quickly nodded. "Yeah, his tea was the best I'd ever had! What is his secret ingredient by the way???" 

 

Uncle Kim smiled to me as he replied, "Love, Amber. He said, it was love that made his tea is exceptional and super soothing for us," 

"Wherever he is right now, I hope he's in peace," added him, closing his eyes. 

 

I stared at the house once again. 

 

"Uncle, if you don't mind, may I get Mr. Han's son contact number?" 

 

He frowned at me afterwards, "But... for what?" 

 

I pocketed my hands, inhaling a deep breath before shifting my head at him. I said calmly,
" I would like to buy that house from him. From now on, I can picture how much happiness I can get with Krystal if we live there. How much you think...it will cost me to have that house, Uncle?"

 

He seem to be thinking for a while before answering, 

"I'm not sure because it depends on his son. One more thing, its difficult to reach that boy, he is busy all the time. Even when his father was dying, he chose his work over him. Pathetic, but yeah, I kinda hate having business with him. Ungrateful child, and selfish too..." 

 

"Oh come on,Uncle. I didn't ask you to meet him, but I just want his phone number...." I pleaded. 

 

"Are you sure, Amber? That house needs a total makeover, you know?  What they say, a heirloom? Its been there for centuries," 

 

"And that's the reason why I have to have it because antique stuff will be more pricey by times," 

 

He sighed before shrugging both his shoulders.

 

" Okay then, as you wish," he muttered and glanced at his Rolex watch, before tapping my left shoulder, slightly. "Anyway, what if we take a stroll around the farm? I bet the workers are looking forward to see my new assistant," 

 

Not saying another words, I tilted my chin down several times and flashed him a smile. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Had Uncle Kim by my side, we walked through the spacious farm, taking an immediate moment to greet and meet a few of the workers there. They are not a stranger to me because I used to pick strawberries with them, when I'm young and inexperience in the field. 

Uncle Kim ran a strawberry farm, and now enlarging his business more with corns and pineapples planting in the other side of the area. He put me in charge as the plant officer, observing and taking care of the quality of the fruits and other stuffs. 

 

"I heard you are married, Ambo," said one of the worker as we shook our hands together. The 60 years old man who has the strength of young man and somehow, it would appear to him that my English name is quite hard to pronounce. 

I chuckled and nodded at him. "Gladly, yes. But not entirely official, ahjussi. We exchanged bows in the church and still waiting for the next procedures to legalize our marriage," I wanted to admit that the real this was, I'm super nervous as I replied those words to him at this moment. 

I braved myself for more since his smile widen,

"I might surprise you, ahjussi... but I'm married to a woman," 

 

He lifted both his eyebrows, before glancing at Uncle Kim's direction. The latter just shrugged his shoulders and this ahjussi let out a small laugh. Fixing the summer-hat which covering the upper part of his sweaty face, he said, "Why to a woman, Ambo? Why not a man?" 

 

I smiled, "If she is a man, I'm glad too to be the wife, ahjussi, but she's a woman, can't help it. Love makes me blind literally," 

He cackled again then, as both me and Uncle joined him laughing under the hot sun. 

"Smart brain!" he uttered and caressed my right cheek with his dusty palm. "My son said the world is changing, so we old people need to change too," he cut the ripe pineapple and threw it to the basket on his back. "I don't care the damn time, grandchild. Even if the world is frozen, l still want to give my love and blessing to you because your kindness is hard to find, although among us, old people," 

"By the way, its been a year you visited me and my wife. What if, I decide that this time you take the turn and you bring your wife tomorrow? I would like to meet who is that lucky woman," 

 

I was flabbergasted by how cool he was so my mouth shutted. 

 

"Look at your child, Mr.Kim! She was stupefied! Bet my casuality caught her off guard," the ahjussi laughed and cut another ripe pineapple. "Come on Ambo, I might be old, but I can be that trendy and classy grandad too. Embrace it, I'm cool," 

 

"Of course you are," finally I recovered from my stone mode. "So... are you really, serious about this ahjussi? You really want to meet my wife???" 

Uncle chuckled and gripped my shoulder, 

"Yeah, I think he really is serious, Amber. Prepare yourself and tell Krystal once you get back, okay? Come on, let ahjussi finishes his work," 

 

I smiled again at the cool ahjussi. "Alright, see you tomorrow, trendy man!" 

He laughed and waved a goodbye to me as he continued his duty in the farm. 

 

 

We both furthered our walks for more until Uncle Kim said his legs were numb. He suggested we stopped at the late Mr. Han's hut for a while, and I obeyed. 

 

I took out my cell phone and sent Krystal a short text, asking her what's she been up to. While waiting for her to reply, my eyes wandered off a the house's environment. I cannot stop admiring it yet, because for me, I treasure old-fashioned stuff. 

Mr. Han's son should aware soon how precious this house is, or not he will suffer with the non-ending guilty and regret. 

 

"Still seeing through the house, kiddo?" Uncle Kim asked while caressing his shin-bone. 

 

"Yep, I wish I can build a family here soon, Uncle. Krystal said she loves gardening, and this small area here, she can use it to grow the plants. Fascinating, just to imagine her doing the chores. I want to work hard, so that I can give her a happy life," 

 

Uncle didn't mutter anything directly instead he just hummed at me. 

 

"She's happy wherever she goes, kiddo. As long as she has you with her," finally Uncle voiced out in his honest tone. "Alright, since you love this house too much, I'll work it out then. Let see what I can do, okay?" 

 

I stared at him momentarily, putting my palm at his right knee. 

"Thanks, Uncle. I wish it doesn't burden you. You can take it easy, I see no rush of it by the way," 

 

"No, not a burden even a bit. Instead I feel happy seeing that big grin of yours. I bet when that damn son of mine will get married," he said and sighed. "The big brothers are all married and now me and your aunt are worrying about him," 

 

I looked at him as he added, "He seems to be enjoying his single life and I can't even see either he thinks of his future or not. What if one day we both are not here anymore and he still has no one to take care him?" 

 

"Uncle," I called him gently. " I promised as long as I'm alive, Key will be just fine. For me, he's more than a brother and a friend. Plus, without him, who knows I probably begging for money in the street for now," 

 

"Don't say that, he's your brother. Of course he is responsible too to make sure you can survive," 

 

"Now you see Key can take care of himself and everyone around him very well, right my dear Uncle? So, tell auntie and to yourself too, please don't worry?"

 

Uncle clamped his lips and automatically nodded at me. He threw his sight on the grass field near the house as he told me, 

 

"Look who's coming, kiddo," and pointed at the small road next the hut we're stopping by. I frowned at first before I copied him looking at the other direction. 

 

 

Before he could say anything, I said it first, 

 

"Krystal," 

 

 

 

 

 

***

(Listening to Where You At by LOONA)

Author’s POV

 

“Tired?”

 

Amber shook her head a little.

 

“Hungry?”

 

Smiling, Amber replied “Not really, I just finished the sandwich you made for me,”

 

Krystal pursed her lips and roamed her eyes around then. Checking out Amber’s latest workplace, she nodded her head. “Your office isn’t that bad as what he described,”

 

Amber frowned, “He? Who?”

Krystal shifted her face back to Amber,

“Your lovely cousin, who else you think would say this office is a nightmare to everyone because it is near to the lavatory?”

 

That made Amber chuckled out. “Well, definitely a nightmare to a sassy person like him, Krys. Don’t worry, I’m doing great here,” she reassured her wife and rose from the chair. She opened the window and let the cool wind came in.

“The lavatory is not nasty, by the way. Besides, we usually have masks when we are just around the area. What do you think, Krys? Is this place fits me?”

 

The flawless face didn’t give a direct answer, instead she approached Amber and stood beside her, intertwining their palms together.

 

“Wherever you are, for me, you fit with everyone. Don’t ask me, Amber. If you are happy and comfortable doing this job, I have absolutely no reason to object,” she gave a little smile when their eyes met.

Later on, Krystal took Amber’s right arm and had it enveloping around her shoulder as her back touched the boyish’s chest.

They enjoyed the view and the serenity of the farm together, letting the time passed faster than they acknowledged. The hot weather, the light-blue sky and the windy air breathed- all good enough to bring them closer and feel each other’s warmth.

For Amber, the moment was perfect. She secretly wished it was frozen and nothing’s change.

Meanwhile, for Krystal- she just hope it could last forever. She wished, they could still enjoy in each other’s arm like that for more days, weeks, months and years to come.

 

“Can you see that big house?” Amber spoke in her gentle tone, tightening the embrace around her wife’s shoulders.

 

“Where?”

 

“There, that one with a small hut, not so far from the road,”

 

Krystal’s eyes were tiny since she pushed her sighting nerves to see clearer. Not a second later, she able to locate the house that Amber has mentioned.

 

“Right, found it,” Krystal stated and pointed her index finger at the magnificent house, which located in the middle of the land of thousands of hectares.

 

“I have fallen in love with it,” said Amber. “What do you say if one day we have to move in and spend for the rest of our life there, Krys?”

 

She slightly tilted her chin and looked at Amber’s face. “And what’s the odd of that?”

 

“Uncle said I am the old-fashioned type when I said that house is just so perfect and beautiful,” replied Amber, shrugging her shoulders. “The house was built hundred years ago and until now the real owner don’t have a gut to return to where he came from, from his worldly wonderings,”

“It might be not fully-equipped like your villa, Krys. No swimming pool, no personal gym and no spacious garden. In case, one day, when I’m qualified enough to be the new owner, would you stay with me?”

Krystal took a moment to stare at the house from where they both stood at that time.

 

Flashback

 

“House, is the human being’s first world, my Soojungie. House could simply be a place for a family, where father keeps his children safe and cherishes every moment he has with them at every corner of the house. House, somehow could also be a home where someone who works so hard during the day and finally has a place that he could return to, to relieve his fatigue,” Mr. Jung explained to the little Krystal when they were in the kitchen, baking a cake together for her birthday on that day.
 

The little Krystal quickly understood what her father said and secretly dipped her index finger into the bowl full of whipping cream and it when Mr. Jung walked to the sink.

“What else do you learn today from the private drawing class, Soojungie?” Mr. Jung asked his youngest daughter, with a big smile on his face.

 

“I can draw a house with a complicated design and I… can draw a spacious farm around it. Sica unnie said it was a boring picture,” told Krystal, eyes can’t be parted from the whipping cream bowl. Her father muffled a laugh when he noticed Krystal was too fixed on the white thing he’s been whisking hardly.

 

“Everyone sees everything differently. For me, your drawing is not a waste of time but actually your vision of future, Krystal. Let me keep it, okay? I’m gonna make a frame from it and hang it in our living room. Is that okay?”

 

When she saw her father put the whipping cream on top of the cake, little Krystal’s eyes didn’t move. She heard clearly what Mr. Jung had said to her but the cake was too appealing. She just hummed back at her father and said impatiently,

 

“Can I eat all of it, father? You can bake another one for Sica-unnie,”

 

And Mr. Jung’s laugh echoed the kitchen.


End of flashback

 

 

 

Krystal closed her eyes, picturing the face of her late father and realized how much she missed him. It was the last birthday with Mr. Jung and although she was too young, she remembered every single thing and word that came out from him on that day.

 

“I don’t believe in my own vision before, Amber. Now, I think, because of you, I have started to believe that sometimes our dreams come true not because we hope for a miracle, but when we live our life and have faith in our destiny,” she said, smiling while staring at the late Mr. Han’s majestic house.

 

“My father once has said, house is the symbol of beginning, Amber. A place to let our love grows, and sometimes could be a place where we can call it ‘home’. If you see it as your home, I would love to be the place where you can always return to,” she added, eyes-teary.

 

Amber could feel the sorrow from Krystal’s slow voice. Tightening the embrace again, she engaged the gap between her face and Krystal’s head afterwards, and muttered with her gentle voice,

 

 

“You are always a home to me Krys, since the day I have fallen for you,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________

I'm back with a short update everyone. I'm sorry for letting you waiting too long and since I have returned to my hometown, and can now easily access to internet. 

 

Too many things happened this year and I feel kinda afraid. 

 

I re-read all KryBer fanfics to kill some time since my application to further Master Degree in Malaysia has been delayed due to the pandemic and now I'm officially jobless. I'm helping my auntie delivering foods for her business while baby-sitting my grown-up lil brother. 

He's now can speak English quite well, and so obsess with BlackPink Lisa. I sacrificed tons of money for him so he could have those expensive BlackPink's merchandise T_T My dream to collect fx albums kinda stuck for a while because of this child huuu :')

 

 

I hope all of you are doing great and please, stay safe. Let's meet again in another update everyone^^

 

 

Love love, 

YOUR RYAI.