บทที่ 13

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to The Feelings by Justin Bieber ft. Halsey)

 

The digital clock on the wall is showing it had passed 12 am in the morning. Sitting in rows, Amber with her housemates- Kyulkyung, Dahyun and Yebin who just arrived from the library, faithfully waiting at the emergency room. 

The Chinese girl is very sleepy and tried hard to keep awake but Amber able to notice that. She tapped Kyulkyung's hand and gave a signal for her to lean on her left shoulder.

Thanking the boyish, she shifted her body closer and put her head on Amber's broad shoulder. Without a sound and not even more than a minute, she had fallen asleep.

 

"Unnie, I think it must be very serious," Yebin said, glancing at the oldest girl.

 

"Yeah, poor Krystal unnie. She's still young and already dying in pain," added Dahyun which earned her a slight slap on her thigh from Yebin afterwards.

"You, your mouth. Just keep it shut if you don't have anything to say,"

 

Amber just curved a little smile for them.

"I hope she will be okay. That girl is not a gentle lady, as she said to me before,"

 

Yebin nodded, thinking for a while then asked again, "Did you call her sister?"

 

"Yep, she's on her way here," replied Amber short. "Her voice is the same as Krystal's you know. I was surprised, I thought I was talking to Krystal but actually, she's in there, with the medics,"

 

"Duh, they're sisters. Of course!" Dahyun interrupted again.

 

"Dubu, this is a hospital! Slow down!" Yebin warned the fair-skinned girl, shushing her while Amber only giggled at the duo's bickering.

 

 

The sound of footsteps echoed through the waiting space had caught their attention. Amber and the girls spontaneously shifted their heads to the left and watched a beautiful figure is approaching them.

 

"You guys must be... Krystal's housemates?" the pretty lady asked after a slight bow.

 

Yebin shakes Kyulkyung's body to wake her up. She lifted her head from Amber shoulder and opened her tight eyes. "What?"

 

Yebin signalled with her eyes at Jessica which made Kyulkyung blinked repeatedly. "Who the hell are you?"

 

Her eyebrows raised, listening to the unexpected question.

"Who the hell am I you ask?"

 

 

"Err... sorry, she still not fully awake, Ms Jung. I apologized," Amber came in to break the awkward atmosphere. "Pinky, this is Ms Jessica, Krystal's older sister,"

 

"Ohpps," Kyulkyung bite her own tongue then. "I'm sorry, Ms Jessica, my bad," she bowed down, very very down, avoided Jessica's sharp eyes and secretly inside, she scolded herself for the sudden stupid burst.

 

 

"Its okay," the cold stare changed as she turned to make an eye contact with Amber. "What happened?"

 

"Uhm, before that, you might want to sit first, Jessica-sshi," Amber said in polite. The latter only nodded, as she placed herself beside the boyish.

 

"Kyulkyung here found Krystal was lying on the floor, unconscious. About what happened to her, I'm not really sure since the medics still treating your sister inside. I'm sorry for calling you this late but you're her only family member that I know," explained Amber.

 

"Yes, I am. Our mother is staying in the states, she isn't here and thanks for informing me. I haven't seen my sister for almost a month. She is busy and I'm also not so free to meet her,"

 

The remain three girls were in silence as they listened to the conversation.

 

"I hope she's just fine," Amber muttered and Jessica gave a firm smile back. "Same here,"

 

 

 

And an hour passed.

Yebin already joined Dahyun and Kyulkyung, sleeping on the seats, hugging themselves from the cold. Only Amber and Jessica still awake, leaning their heads back on the wall.

 

"If you don't mind, I'll go get coffee at the cafe, and get one for you too," Amber offered as she stared at Jessica's sleepy face.

 

"Sure, please," the older woman nodded, closing her eyes.

 

The boyish was ready to step out when the emergency room being opened wide. Jessica automatically awake as she heard the medics' voices and rose from the seat in instant.

 

"Jung Soo Jung...'s family?" a man with the mask, mostly addressed by the hospital staff as Dr Lee Teuk called out as he noticed both Amber and Jessica.

 

"Yes, I am her sister. What about her, doctor?"  that was Jessica's worry tone.

 

"A very extreme gastric. She needs to be warded for few days but doesn't worry, we'll keep her in our watch regularly," he informed calmly. Later, he shifted his eyes to Amber.

"You can see your girlfriend now. She's sleeping but probably will be awake soon. Excuse me," Dr Lee Teuk tapped Amber's shoulder, smiling and left the space, heading back to his office room.

 

Jessica stared at the boyish, frowning. "You... and my sister...? In a relationship?"

 

Amber quickly denied,

"No, no, the doctor misunderstand I think. Maybe he thought that I am... a boy. But no, I'm not. So.... no, your sister and me are just friends, I swear,"

 

Eyeing at the tomboy's fidgeting hands, Jessica can tell, it was a nervous statement from her.

 

"O...kay..." she said and glanced at the seats. Dahyun and Yebin's mouths were all wide, still in their dreamland and she feels guilty for making the girls stay and wait for Krystal.

 

"Go wake them. You guys can leave, I'll stay and wait for my sister tonight," told Jessica to Amber, referring to the housemates.

 

"O-oh. Its okay, we can wait for Krystal with you,"

 

"No, I insist. It's my responsibility now and thanks by the way, for taking Krystal here," she sternly stated and furthered, "What's your name actually? I forgot to ask earlier,"

 

Amber smiled,

"I'm Amber. The girl with short pants is Kyulkyung, the white girl named Dahyun and the smallest there is Yebin. We are Krystal's housemates,"

 

"I see..." Jessica nodded. She zipped off her handbag and took a small piece of paper and pen. After writing a set of numbers, she passed to the latter. "Here my phone numbers and my address. I'm using the same number for What's App too, you may text me if anything happens to my sister again. She's lucky to have the kind and caring housemates like all of you," and finally Amber able to see Jessica's smile.

Amber took the paper and had a quick glance at it. She smiled back and bowed. "We're also lucky to have her as a housemate, Jessica-sshi. So then, we'll excuse ourselves for now. May we see each other again,"

 

The older bowed back.

 

 

 

 

***

 

(Listening to Alone by Halsey)

 

That morning, after reaching home, all the girls went directly to their room, fall into a very deep sleep. Except for Amber, she went to shower before changing clothes and walked into the kitchen.

Rummaging the cabinet, she had time searching for some ingredients.


What is the best for gastric patient? Chicken soup?

 

She monologued, later opening the fridge. Having a hard time to think what to cook, Amber takes out her cellphone and directly search for the answer. She typed, "Food for gastritis patient," and later the Google led her to- "3 simple recipes for gastritis,"

 

"Rice, green bean, peanut and vegetable porridge,"

 

"Chicken barley soup,"

 

"Soymilk, banana and yoghurt smoothie,"

 

And looked for the stuff needed.

 

"Lucky I have all the ingredients though," Amber thought, planning to prepare all the food. She begins by taking the pot, putting some rice with water and heat it on the electric stove. She spent almost hours in the kitchen, becoming the chef of the day, ignoring the time was moving so fast than she expected.

 

When the small girl greeted her before entering the washroom, Amber finally realized it was almost noon. She rushly cleaned up the mess and packed all the food she had prepared into containers.

 

"Unnie, can you send me to class today? Krystal's unnie car with youuu..." Dahyun gave a huge smile, taking a glance at the older girl.

Amber turned around, raising her eyebrows, "Well, not for me to use regularly,"

 

"Please... I'm late," the girl pouted.

 

 

"Hhh... okay, but still you need to tell Krystal after this. She must know where her car goes," Amber told, putting on the sweater on her skinny body.

 

"Heeee thanks Amber-unnie... love youuu,"

 

The older scrunched her face at Dahyun then.

"By the way, I'm going to see Krystal after class. Wanna go with me?"

 

"Oh... I think I cant. I have a group discussion," replied Dahyun, with her apologetic face.

 

"No, it's okay. I'll try to ask Yebin and Kyung then,"

 

"Unnie, we are in the same group for the general subject. We have drama project for next week and didnt Yebin informed you about our plan this evening???"

 

Amber heaved a sigh. She said sorry afterwards and blew an air, "My bad,"

 

Dahyun bit the apple on her study desk and placed it back as she put the red file into the bag. "You seems to be thinking a lot. What is it? Krystal unnie?"

 

Amber chuckled, putting her hands on the waist while looking straight at the latter. "Of course, she's super sick, Dubu. I'm worried,"

 

"Hmm...really? I don't think because you are worried about her,"

 

"Then...???"

 

Dahyun smirked,

"You care for her, not worry,"

 

"Oh God, what's the difference anyway???" Amber raised her voice-smiling, disbelief with the younger girl's statement. "You said you're late, but I can't see you rush even for a second???"

 

"Don't change the topic. I just said you care for her and by the look of yours, I'm sure you can't deny it! Right???" Dahyun pointed her finger at Amber's face, still with the evil smile.

 

"What's the point? Absolutely I am, I care for her, for all of you because we're staying together!"

 

"Jeez, you looked intense!"

 

"Well, you start it first," Amber muttered, avoided the girl as she fixed her bed sheets. "Come on, Krystal and I are in good term already. We're now barely arguing on things and its comfortable to have her for a conversation. You know, because we're almost in the same age," 

"We're sort of....have a chemistry as collegue,"

 

Dahyun hummed,

"Collegue? That's not true,"

 

"Why not? She's also good at talking. We share a lot of things in common,"

 

"For example?"

 

Amber thinks for a moment.

"Life literature club? She just nicely fit in and I suppose she is our newest member now,"

 

 

"Unnie, there's no relation at all,"
 

Sighing again, the boyish frowned at her roommate,

"Dubu, we are very late for class. Can you say something straight to the point?"

 

Reaching for Amber's hand, Dahyun pulled it gently as she tilted up her face to see the taller girl. "Unnie, sometimes you are so naive, you know? Have you ever experience something like... butterflies flying around when someone touches you like I did?"

 

"If with you, not even a caterpillar came in," Amber said, sarcastically and chuckled. "You want to say I like her?"

 

Dahyun smiled, showing all her teeth as she nodded vigorously.

 

"Yes, I like her. She's a nice friend for me," Amber's reply made Dahyun's bright smile faded instantly. She playfully pushed away Amber's hand and said, "Alright, this conversation is over. Let's go, we have classes to catch,"

 

The tomboy can't help but to smile as her eyes tailed Dahyun's movement when she stepped out from their room.

 

There's so many things you don't need to know, Dahyunnie and I'm sorry for that.

Amber said to herself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Jessica glanced at her watch before she shifted her eyes to stare at her younger sister's sleeping face. She touches Krystal's flawless cheek gently as her mind running in thoughts.

"This happened when you're far away from me, you fool. Smart enough to be independent and free but not good enough to take care of yourself..."

 

*beep*

A message from her personal assistant popped in from the cellphone screen caught her attention.
 

From: Naeun

 Boss, are you still in hospital?

 

She texted back,

  Yes, why?

 

Then another text,

 

 Ops, sorry but this is urgent. The wife of CEO Jang is here, looking for you. She said about the gown, which I don't really know where it is :(

 

Jessica gasped, she suddenly remembers that the woman has been wanting to see her reservation. So, she quickly replied,

  I will be there. Tell her to wait for me. Or distract her with something.

 

Right at the same time, the figure of short hair pushed the door from outside, hesitatingly saying hello. Amber smiled when she saw Jessica on Krystal's side and stepped into the VIP room, with a plastic bag full of food containers.

 

"Oh such a relief to see you at this moment," Jessica heaved a sigh, grabbing her precious handbag from the drawer closed to the hospital bed. She raised from the seat and looked at Amber, "I have to go now. Would you mind waiting here until I come back tonight?"

 

Placing the plastic bag on the wheel desk, Amber replied calmly, "Yes, you can trust me for that,"

 

Jessica smiled, satisfied with the latter's respond. She tapped Amber's shoulder and squeezed it a bit, "I'm sorry, this has been twice you have to sacrifice your time. To be honest, I don't even know she has a friend who cares about her a lot, like you do and I'm so glad finally my sister has someone whom she can rely on, especially in this critical situation,"

 

Amber stared at Jessica, nodding her head at the statement.

"You're welcome, Jessica-sshi. I understand because I'm also far away from my family. Maybe she just need to take a break from her crazy schedule and look more on eating properly after this,"

 

"I agree," Jessica said and they both spontaneously shifted their heads at Krystal when the suddenly she grunted. The older sister takes her hand gently,

"Soojung," she called out her Korean name and smiled. "How do you feel?"

 

"Not bad," she replied shortly, frowning.

Krystal tried to sit up but Jessica insisted her directly, "No, you need to lie down, you have to rest,"

 

"I think sleping for 10 hours straight was more than enough rest I had in my life so far," she told and finally realized there's another 3rd person with them. Krystal greeted Amber with her usual 'hey' and also being 'hey' back by the handsome girl afterwards.

 

"Your sister is right, Krys. The pain inside your stomach still not recovering, you have to lie down or it might pressure you," adviced Amber, staring straight at the pretty face.

Krystal obeyed, she slowly lay down back her body and Jessica helped the girl by putting the comfy pillow behind. She ruffled her baby sister hair as she voiced out, "I have work to be accomplished as soon as possible. Will be seeing you again tonight. Is that okay?"

 

"You don't need to come back. I'm okay on my own," Krystal's answer made Jessica and Amber looked at each other. The woman only released a deep breath as she furthered,

"Alright, see you tonight, baby Jung. Take care," totally ignored her sister's statement, Jessica the fashion designer managed to tap Amber's shoulder once again before she stepped out from the ward room, leaving the two in silence atmosphere.

 

Breaking over the awkwardness, Amber casually said, "I'll bring some food for you to eat. Are you hungry?"

 

Krystal shakes her head, looking down on her lap. She plays with her fingers.

 

"If I were you, I'll say thank you to your sister," Amber muttered, placing her on the visitor's seat. "She's been here all night long, you know,"

 

"Not when you're not even me," the cold statement made the boyish's eyebrows lifted high.

 

"Why?" however, Amber tried to ask.

 

The younger lady stared at Amber with her serious expression then.

"I don't think you might need to know why,"

 

"Oh yes, I think so. She seems... very nice and I'm sure she loves you so much,"

The statement from Amber made Krystal had nothing to say anymore.

 

"Is it because you feel guilty and its been your sense of behaviour for... saying thank you is hard?"

 

"Probably,"

 

"Thank you is the most powerful word in the world, you know. You should practice from now on,"

 

"And why I have to do that?"

 

Amber chuckled and stared at the pretty lady for a moment. "Because," she gets up from the seat and grabbed the food container. Opening it, she gave Krystal a plastic spoon she brings from home.  "Thank you can heal our prejudice, our incredibly false assumptions on others. By saying the simple word, you can make the person feel highly appreciated,"

"Have a taste on it please. I'll make it for you," said Amber, referring to the yoghurt smoothie.

 

Krystal was hesitated at first but when she caught a glimpse of Amber's calm smile, she scooped the food and put it into .

 

"If it is good, you must to say thank you to me or not, you can just spill it back,"

 

Having the food inside for quite a time, Krystal said with her gentle voice, "Thank you..." and Amber had smile for more.

 

"You're welcome,"

 

"And thank you too... for being here..." the long-hair girl expressed. "I shouldn't trouble you at first,"

 

"Yes, its quite a trouble but I'm fine. I didnt expect you to be very heavy because I feel my back almost break into pieces by carrying you till here, " Amber's joke made Krystal smiled, eventually.

 

"That's why people said don't judge a book for its cover,"

 

"But it was easy. I've been working out lately,  and I need some practice to build my muscle. Lifted you sort of helping me out,"

 

"Oh really? Where is it? Where is your muscle?" Krystal joked around as she let her hands snuggled to Amber's arm and made the latter tried to avoid.

 

"Hey! Stop!Its ticklish!" Amber laughed when Krystal's fingers reached her tummy.

 

When the girl still teasing her by the touch, Amber catched Krystal's hands between the struggles and their eyes met.

The boyish can even feel the beauty's gentle breath since their face closed to each other.

 

"Have someone told you that you're... beautiful?" Amber whispered as she stared deep into Krystal's sharp eyes.

The long-hair girl also looked close on Amber's face, from her forehead until her lips. She didnt able to mutter things and feels like something had been holding her to speak.

"Yes... but no one said it... like you did..." until those words unexpectedly came out from .

 

 

They stared at each other for much longer... They feel the time had stopped for them...

 

Amber had her time admiring Krystal's beauty...

 

While Krystal had time thinking hard, why she feel the sudden blood rushed in her veins, and her breath feels like choking in the air.

 

That moment, when they had been mesmerized in stares, the boyish firstly thought,

 

Maybe this is how I fall for you Krystal...

 

 

And Krystal, her heart said,

 

 

This sudden feeling... is strange... Why?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________

And I need more time to finish this story....

 

 

Thanks for reading you guys.

 

Love love,

Your Ryai :)