บทที่ 27

My Past, Present & Future

Krystal walked into the space and captured a figure of the woman she never seen in such a long time. A woman who she believes, the third wheel in her parents marriage. 

She's determined to control her feelings and fight with her emotions, so she calmly asked, "What she's doing here, Sica unnie? I remember we have a deal to not see her face over again," it was quite rude but still honest from . 

 

The older sister looked at Krystal- uneasy and made a signal 'please have some respect' between their eyes interactions.  

 

"It's fine for you to hate me, Soo Jung," the woman suddenly said. 

 

"You don't have right to say out loud the name that my father gave to me," Krystal firmly replied, crossing her arms onto her chest. "I apologize but it's not fine for me to hear that from you," 

 

"Krystal," Jessica interrupted, "Please... I dislike that kind of look you have now. She's here for some reason," 

 

Krystal shifted her attention directly at Jessica's face and noticed, the older sister's eyes almost glaring at her. So she gave up and rushed to the sofa, sitting herself there without any sound anymore. 

 

"I'd already warned you about her attitude, right?" Jessica reminded the woman. 

 

"Yes you did, but don't worry, I do understand," she nodded, giving Jessica a slight tap on her right shoulder as she motioned to the discussion place, the place where Krystal was sitting comfortably alone. 

"It was not my will to be here, Krystal. It was your father's," she told while claiming the single sofa as her seat. "You can get mad at me until the end of the world, but you can't get mad at your sister for letting me be here," 

 

She ignored her step mother's politeness secretly although she's listening to each word that has been said. 

 

"I am no one to both of you but I'm here to reconcile the blood ties that has disappeared after your father's death," she furthered, still in her calm tone. "Krystal, I am sorry for what I did, and on behalf of his fault too, I am truly sorry for everything. It may had snatch your happiness away, but at least you got a chance to feel the love from him," 

 

Krystal furrowed her eyebrows then, wondering what's coming next from the step mother. 

 

"My love, I'm here to tell you that your father and I have a child, she is your sister, the blood that running inside of her is the same as yours," she added, "She doesn't have any memory with your father but I was the one who told the story of a great man who loved all his children equally," 

"She knows about her having sisters too and very excited to see you and Jessica," the woman curved a soothing smile. 

 

"Krystal, I don't have much time in this world so I don't want her to be alone after... I'm gone," she stared straight at the pretty face with her teary eyes. 

"Before I go in peace, I want to make your father's wish comes true," she touched Krystal's upper hand, pleading.

 

 

 

"Please love her as much as you love him?"

 

 

 

 

***

 

"With much consider, Madam, we have a legal authorization from the student union here," Wendy tried to explain between her nervous breath. "Our thesis, 'Homophobia and Community' has been published under copyright, legitimately," 

"We reached for another authorities 2 months before the event and mostly the lecturers gave us a green light," 

 

The old woman fixed her glass using her index finger at the birdge of her nose, reading through the paper meticulously, afraid if she's going to miss any single detail. Almost a minute of the awkward silence, she voiced out, "Let's not talk about any authorities here, Ms. Son," then she put down the paper onto her messy table, looking straight at Wendy's pale face. 

"Yes you have the validation to organize the event but, the problem here is, this new community which recently you and your group introduced is still unacceptable to the existing community. Do you consider the sensitive issues that you are bringing?" 

 

Amber glanced at her right side and noticed, Wendy's hand is shaking. She put her warm hand under hers and whispered everything gonna be okay. 

 

"Madam, may I say something about this?" the boyish raised her hand politely, garned attention from the old proffesor, who happen to be one of the main figure in the Board of Trustees. 

 

"World is very weird as the way it is, Madam," she began. "LGBT is not new to us but only recently has been recognized by certain people,"

"If we talk about equalities, then human should be seen as human, not an object. To be fair and square, in each and every detail of the community, we all have the same rights. If non-LGBT people, who already rule the world since the beginning of humankind, can do anything they want, even to do crimes, why can't we LGBT people do the same thing?" 

 

"The point here, you want to commit a crime too?" Madam Shim Bong Sun, a sociologist expert who is infamous among the students as the Stone Cold Proffesor replied in her serious tone. 

Amber quickly denied, 

"No, madam. Even if I'm not the LGBT supporter, commiting crimes still wrong for me," 

 

"So then? What do you know, young girl? You guys act like everything in this world should be branded new, everything must carry on based on the changing of the modern world, but don't you think you are still lack of experience? You should study more and stop comparing your new mindset with the oldies," 

 

"Absolutely, madam. We are all stil inexperience but as the person with most knowledge and experience, I suppose you can understand this better than anyone, right?" 

 

The question that has been delivered by Amber has caused Madam Shim to be suddenly quiet. Her eyebrows were twitching, the sign of her brain was functioning in vibrant. 

 

While Wendy studied the wrinkled-face closely, thinking about why she stopped saying a word and the cold atmosphere before immediately dropped after Amber's question. She made her own guessing session mentally and decided to wait for the woman's next speech. 

 

 

 

"I'd never think deeply about that...what's your name, girl?" 

 

"I'm Amber Liu, madam. International student," 

 

"Yes, Ms. Liu," she repeated Amber's family name then. "I don't have any power to decide what is right and what is wrong for you and the rest of the group. Since all of you already adults, I guess giving out opinions and ideas is very-very important indeed, you guys can think of what's the best in life, isn't it?" she said, smiling a little. 

"I'm going to complete the reading later, Ms. Son and will meet you sooner, perhaps by this week," 

 

"I'm sorry, Madam?" Wendy asked, perplexed. 

 

"What I really meant is, I'm going to pull back allegation on your event, Ms. Son. Let's just say, I'm giving you a green light too for the courage to stand up for this new community. I may not know much, but I'd like to know more about it. And you, Ms. Liu, hoping you can come up with journal or book as well, because what's in your mind, is not ordinary to have around here," 

 

Amber nodded, curving a bright smile as she thanked the proffesor for her encouragement. She looked at Wendy who still clueless and tapped her shoulder, saying, "You did a good job, Wendy," 

 

 

 

 

*** 

 

The group gave a round of applause to Wendy and Amber for their latest achievement at Prof. Shim's office room and showed their excitement to share the joy with them, by celebrating the good news with an amount of food and beverage. 

Other than Irene and Seulgi, Key also managed to join the girls after Amber sent him a text about free food. 

 

"Waa, who pays for all of these???" Key asked, mouth fulled with a bit of pizza. 

Irene and Seulgi raised their hands at the same time, made the group laughed at them. 

 

"Unnie, let me pay. I have promised Wendy to treat her delicious food if she did it," Seulgi told the oldest, munching. 

 

"Well, I have promised Amber to treat her delicious food too," Irene casually said, looking at Amber. "I forgot to tell you earlier, but just please agree with that now, okay?" 

 

The boyish made an 'okay' sign to Irene, chuckled. 

 

"Where's Krystal? Amber-nim?" Seulgi suddenly asked as she reached for the ketchup and pressed it onto the surface of the slice of the pizza she's holding. 

 

"O-oh, she said she has family urgency," Amber replied in short. 

 

"Urgency?" Wendy raised an eyebrow. 

 

"Yeah,'

 

"I'd never heard from her about urgency thing, especially if it is related to family matter," Wendy muttered. 

 

"That's right," Seulgi interrupted, "Did she mention anything about Jessica?" 

 

"Aaa... I'm not sure either, last seen her in What's App was 2 o'clock though. Maybe she's discussing something important with her sister," Amber shot back. 

 

"That's weird, Krystal is not really care about family meeting, you know. There's once she excused herself to sleep when her mother and her future in law family were having dinner together," Seulgi added. 

 

Wendy instantly shushed the slow-maniac Seulgi with her index finger and Irene awkwardly smiled at Amber and Key. 

 

The boyish stopped munching and just expressed a calm smile. 

 

"I knew it, she told me that story before," told Amber, using fork to stab the meat ball then inserted into . 

 

"Yeah, you should know too that Krystal and that guy is really not a match from heaven. Their chemistry is horrible," Wendy made an 'X' sign with her arms. 

"Don't worry, Amber-unnie, Krystal only has eyes on you," 

 

And that's Seulgi's turn to shush Wendy. The ultimate roommate glared at each other then, while the tomboy only let out a small laugh. 

 

"Just forget everything they said, Amber-sshi. They're silly, as always," Irene stated. 

 

"Alright, I can't take anything as granted, am I?" Amber answered. 

 

Key intruded the girl, 

"Don't be too polite here, Llama-face. What she told you is actually the hint, take it don't leave it, you have no other choice,"

 

Amber elbowed Key's rib on his right side, making the group bursted into laughter. 

 

"Shut up please, you have no right here," she warned and Key made an ugly face.

"You just successfully fight for everyone's right, Liu. Why I'm not in your list?"  

 

"Because you're not everyone, you're Key," 

 

The feminine guy rolled his eyes in annoyance then, making Seulgi giggled cutely at him. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

(Listening to Tell Her You Love Here by Echosmith) 

 

 

Amber's Diary 

 

I'm so delighted at the time Proffesor Shim has declared her support towards the small community that Wendy has formed with her MA friends. She kept replaying about how the situation went inside of the office room and how nervous she was to meet one of the main person in our campus. She is very lucky to have a circle of friends who always support each other.

For somehow, I envied Wendy's courage and confident. She's truly the bravest person who able to convey the minorities' voice, and their thesis actually all her idea. 

 

Almost 2 years as an international student here in Seoul National University, I can say I'm enjoying my life, and still trying to think everything will pass very quickly, then I'm going to be a fresh graduate and get myself a job. Normally, that's what people always wish in the life timeline, right? 

Of course, I am wanting the same thing. 

 

Today, after the small gathering, Key and I had a small talk. 

He asked me why I told Wendy's gang about my uality and why I put my trust on them. He still has the view of pessimist although he could clearly see they are very nice and kind to me. 

I know nothing much about each of them in personal. Wendy, a generous girl actually never say anything about her uality and so does Irene. That woman of beauty had broken up with her boyfriend about months ago, and until now she is still single. Meanwhile Seulgi, the reason she became the group's loyal follower because she wants to stand up for her late senior, Moonbyul- who unfortunately ended her life 3 years ago by commiting suicide. 

Whoever they are, and whatever they think about me or my uality, I still love being around them. 

 

And Krystal, the girl who makes me question myself everytime we meet is nowhere to be found today. 

I am embarassed to admit this, but I really miss her.