บทที่ 3

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Running by Pristin)

 

 

The fuss sound from the living room has surprised her from sleep. Fighting to make her eyes open, Amber determined to wipe away her sleep mode. She rose up from the bed, and walked out straight to the apartment's living room.

Once she reached the space, Amber caught three of her housemates are standing statically, looking at the entrance.

 

"What's going on?" she asked, stretching the nape of her neck.

 

The scratch sound produced from the door attracted their attention. Amber joined the group to stare at the scene, where two men trying hard to move a double-size refrigerator. As clear as they can see, the furniture is too tall to fit in but those worker exerted all their sweats to make it possible.

 

"Ahjussi, the kitchen is not here. Why you guys stopped???" Krystal walked in then. She blew a deep sigh, looking at them annoyingly.

"Please hurry up, I have to attend class in 30 minutes,"

 

The man with bald head bowed and showed his apologetic look. "Yes, Ms. Krystal,"

 

Later, the new branded refrigerator has been moved exactly in the kitchen. Just like how the sharp-eyed girl wished.

 

 

"Thank you for choosing us, Ms. We are so glad to assist you," the bald man said with a smile. "Anything you need, let us know,"

 

Krystal only nod. Seems much dont really care about what that man had say to her.

"Sure, of course, I paid a lot for this, you wench,"

 

Then the men left the apartment after Krystal signed the warranty document.

 

 

Amber exchanged glances with Yebin as they heard what Krystal had mumble in English.

The tomboy just able to mentally disappointed at the pretty figure, she thought the girl is still lacking of brain and manner. Maybe yes the guys are Korean and didnt understand English but it doesn't mean she can deliberately insult them.

 

 

"I dont mean to interrupt but for your information, I am a native speaker of English and Yebin here is fluent in it too," Amber said, "You're showing a bad side of you, Ms. Krystal,"

 

"Aish..." the brunette flinched in insist then. She shot Amber a glare, "Would you please stop being so angelic? Its not only you living in this world,"

 

"And it is not only you too living in this place," the boyish calmly replied.

 

"Yah, what I'm doing is none of your business," her tone changed sternly. "Mind your own, cross-dresser,"

 

Although she acknowledged the rudeness of Krystal's act, Amber urged herself to be calm. Deep inside, the words had actually hurt her feeling.

Its not her first time to face a 'typical type' of girl like Krystal.

She had meet a lot of people, with different colors and characters.

For sure, she's ready to handle that one included.

The super rude and senseless housemate of hers.

 

"Like I said before, I dont really care about what you think of me," Amber speaks. "If you still think that I'm so that weird and strange to you, then go on. I dont like to interfere. Cross-dresser, tomboy, dyke or anything, you're free to say,"

 

Krystal's expression shifted down. She stared at Amber, not knowing what to reply next.

However, the slight feeling of gulity slowly evolved as she realized she went overboard.

 

"I..I didnt mean that, you're--- that kind of person," Krystal pretended to be cool. "Well, okay, deal. I can say everything I want, and you can say everything you want. Its fair,"

 

She avoided Amber's eyes, and spinned her body around, facing directly the fridge.

Or more like hiding her gulity face.

 

"I bought this with the allowance that my father gave me. So you people, can stuff any kind of food that you like but please, the upper section is fully mine," she turned around again afterward, meeting those innocent girls' eyes except Amber.

"By the way, I'm Krystal. Master Degree of English Literature, staying in room 1, alone like I prefer always in my life. Any questions?"

 

Yebin, Kyulkyung and Dahyun blinked awkwardly.

 

"And you, what's your name again?" Krystal pointed to the tallest figure.

 

"She's Amber unnie, I'm Yebin, she's Dahyun and beside me is Kyulkyung," the tiniest girl replied on the oldest's behalf.

 

"Okay very nice to meet all of you," Krystal mutttered. She took a sticky note from her handbag and jolted down some information before sticking it nicely at the door's fridge.

 

Then, she excused herself, stepping out from the kitchen after passing through between Amber and Dahyun.

 

 

As she left, Amber stared at the note and let out a small chuckle. She asked to the remain housemates, turning to them with a smile,

 

"Who's ready to go out?"

 

Kyulkyung, the Chinese girl frowned, asking back the latter,

"Go out? Where?"

 

"Nearest super market? Well come on, this fridge is empty, kids. Let's fill in!" Amber showed them her excited face.

 

"Whoa! We have this for real, unnie???" Dahyun intruded as she take a look at the new stuff. "I thought she's putting a sarcastic joke!"

 

Yebin joined the girl, "Yeah, if we share that mean we have to pay, right? Why she didnt ask from us first???"

 

Smilling, Amber opened the fridge and take a look at the inside. 
"Why you want to ask the price when the stuff is actually given to you willingly?" 

 

"Not given really willingly, unnie," Yebin replied. "She said the upper side is all hers. That mean three of us sharing the two smallest part here," 

She stepped aside Amber and take turn to adore the expensive stuff. "Whoaa... this is awesome," 

"Unnie, what if tonight we make a little food gathering??? I'll settle the food with Dahyun!" she raised her voice as looking at the trio, happily. 

 

Kyulkyung butted in then, "Then dessert and drinks???" 

 

Dahyun grinned at her roommate, "Unnie..." 

 

"Please?" 

 

Amber just gave the three her straight face at first but nodded in agreement afterward. 

 

"You're cute," she ruffled Dahyun's hair playfully. "Okay I'll settle it then. Don't worry, since you guys are still young and innocent, I say, no alcohol allowed and no boys, for now," 

 

Yebin pouted and whined. She reached for Amber's right arm and begged on, "Unnieeeee... what kind of party without beer???" 

 

"Yeah, beer is fun," Dahyun added, putting an aegyo. "Pleaseee count in... We're an adult already..." 

 

Looking at those two with a frown, Amber glanced at the last girl which they exchanged lifting their eyebrows. 

 

"Is that okay for you?" Amber asked in Mandarin. 

 

Kyulkyung just shrugged, "I dont mind, " 

 

 

When she realized the oldest just speak in her native language, Kyulkyung stared at Amber, wide-eyed. Yebin and Dahyun also looked at the boyish with their surprise looks. 

 

 

"Aaah, I forgot to tell you guys, I can speak Mandarin too," Amber explained as she smiled at them. 

 

 

"Daebak..." Yebin muttered, thumbs up. 

 

"Unnie, what language you dont understand?" Dahyun asked. "You're almost understand everything," 

 

She let out a small chuckle, listening to her roommate's compliment. "Aish, its not like everything, Dahyunnie," 

 

"English, Korean, Mandarin, what else???" Yebin questioned the older. 

 

"It means you can gossip with us using different languages! If me, we'll talk in Mandarin, if Yebin in English and obviously you can't gossip alone with Dahyun because we all understand Korean!" Kyulkyung teased and bursted out laugh. She playfully stucked her tongue at the Dahyun pouting face.

 

"I dont like gossiping, sorry to tell," Amber laughed, looking at the Chinese beauty. 

 

Then, its Kyulkyung's turn to be laugh at. Mostly, Dahyun's extra laughing sound dominated and she did it more to annoy the girl. 

 

 

 

 

***

 

She crossed her arms, looking at the figure of the woman with disbelief look. Her soul was already screaming inside in the dispute between them but she put only a straight face, pretending that she is okay at all.

 

"You know mom will be so disappointed if she know this," Jessica told her younger sister as she blew a sigh. "We own the villa. Why wont you just stay there? You're acting childish you know,"

 

"Childish you said? I'm trying to be a real grown up woman, unnie. I dont like there, I dont like everything about being in there," Krystal blurted out.

 

"What else I can say little sister? Mom decides everything, you knew that yourself, isn't it?"

 

"Not anymore, I'm not a toy or robot. I'm a human, I want my own space and freedom. Enough I granted her wish for wanting me to finish degree, I'm now all set, I dont need to be treated like a small kid anymore,"

 

"Soojung, Mom will be totally angry if she know you're far away from me," 

 

The siblings stared at each other.

 

"She will be mad at you, not me. So, that's not my problem," the younger answered casually, more likely to make the older received the burden by herself.

"Its safe, unnie. I guarantee no serial killer or any psychopath would cross our dormitory. Its all girls," she said confidently before reminiscing Amber's face.

 

Including that boyish one

 

Jessica let out a deep sigh as she glanced at the girl. "I dont know, I aint deal with this for you. If anything happen, be sure to be much responsible okay? I've been all piled out with hundreds of designs to look at so I dont have extra time to explain to Mom about your choice, your freedom or whatever,"

 

"Yeah, agreed," Krystal muttered. She grabbed her car keys and rose from the guess seat, giving her sister a playful grin. "Thanks for saving me again. See you if you're still alive, sister,"

 

"Aish you're the real b****, just go peacefully can you???"

 

Krystal mocked Jessica as she made a horrible yet ugly face.

 

When the younger almost reach the door out, Jessica spoke calmly,

 

"We all love you, Soojung. Dont pretend like we dont,"

 

And Krystal sanked in silence, frozen at her spot.

Not even giving a single word, she only nod as response.

 

 

Then her tiny figure disappeared from the office, leaving Jessica who is still thinking about their conversation earlier.

 

Running away will hurt you more, Soojung...

 

She let the dialogue lingers in her mind because she knows, if she able to voice it out, Krystal wont ever listen.

 

Her persistence in avoiding herself from being hurt again can't be judge and that's why Jessica decided she should remain by saying nothing.

 

Perhaps, mostly people recognized her as the cold ice queen, but for her only sister, Krystal, Jessica saved the softest side that she will never show to other.

 

 

"The ice will be broken once two of you found someone special in your hearts," an old man voice echoed in her thoughts. "I'm pretty sure my girls will be the warmest person ever in the world when it comes to love,"

 

Soothing herself for a while, Jessica threw out her sight at the window office as she immersed to seek for tranquility. She restrained from letting the memory with the old man appears again and reset her mind that she has work to do.

Later, the woman finally managed to get into her task and clearly forgotten of what she just thought.

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

"I like G-Dragon," Yebin said with mouth-fulled. "He's like the coolest man I've ever known after my appa,"

 

Minkyung looked at her junior then interrupted, "Yebin-ah, stop talking when you're eating. You spilled the meat," she pointed at the table then. "Look, its yours,"

 

"Omo, you're right, I can't waste this delicious meat," she mumbled and chewed properly.

 

"I'm huge fan of Kim Soo Hyun, he is very handsome," Kyulkyung said then sipped the spicy soup. She struggled to fix her long hair which disturbing the plate until Amber noticed and came to assist.

The tomboy used her spoon to feed Kyulkyung willingly then.

 

"Xiexie," Kyulkyung said in Mandarin. "I feel like I have an older sister,"

 

"Yes I am old," Amber replied with a smile, still serving the girl with the tasty soup. "Is it delicious?"

 

Kyulkyung nodded vigorously as she thumbs up.

 

Looking at those two, Minkyung and Yebin wondered what they're talking about since they dont understand the language. Yebin glanced at her senior and began to act cute. She opened wide, "Unnie, feed me too please,"

 

"You, little aish..." Minkyung grunted. She made a hay with salads and meat before gave it mouthful to the latter. As she saw the little girl smiled happily, she can't help but to reply with a bright smile too.

 

"Wah, now its not fair, you guys all paired. What about me???" suddenly Dahyun whinned.

 

Amber and Minkyung shifted their attention to Dahyun and looked at each other afterward. Then they realized the tofu girl also need to be treated special as well.

 

"Here," the boyish filled the spoon with soup and offered to her roommate.

Grinning excitedly, the little Dahyun slurped it all deliciously.

 

And Minkyung also made a hay and feed her which she took it with glad face.

 

 

"So, I like G-Dragon, Kyung like Kim Soo Hyun. Amber unnie and Dubu? Minkyung unnie I know she just interested in me heheheheheee," Yebin joked.

 

"Well please, I like myself more than I like you," Minkyung savage reply made all of them laughed out loud.

 

Dahyun told then, " I like Lee Min Ho and Gong Yoo. They're great actors,"

 

Both Kyulkyung and Yebin clapped in the same time, pleased with what Dahyun just said.

"I like them too!" Yebin shouted. "Goblin is my favourite drama so far,"

 

"Yes me too! Me too!" Kyulkyung added.

 

 

"Amber unnie, who do you like then???" Dahyun asked.

 

All the eyes at the table focused on the eldest then.

 

 

"Oh, not sure," Amber stated, thinking for a while. "I think I'm not really admiring idols or actors. I just watch them randomly, not into much like you guys probably,"

 

"So there's no particular person that you have crush at???" asked Dahyun again.

 

"Hmm," Amber replied confidently. "If you say idols or actors, well yes. I'm not into feelings when I look at them,"
 

 

"Aaaaaah... like that..." the four girls cooed in sequence.

 

 

"But its possible you might have crush on people, I mean someone you know, right?" Minkyung's turn to ask.

 

Amber didnt even have chance to reply when Kyulkyung butted in.

 

"Of course, she has, Minkyung-unnie!"

 

 

The boyish's expression changed as she corrected the girl, "Had, not has,"

"I had loved someone, not crush. I loved the person deeply and very hard,"

 

 

Yebin, Minkyung, Dahyun and Kyulkyung stared at Amber in silence as they wait for the latter to continue.

 

Amber smiled before she furthered more, "It happened when I was young and I decided that I had like and love only one person in my life. Had adore and admire the person as much as I could. Had try everything to show how much I loved, but at the end, its all wasted,"

 

She grabbed on the chopsticks, and take a bite of the grilled bacon. She knows the girls are still faithfully waiting for her to finish her so she continued in calm voice.

 

"I buried all my feelings and had forgotten what I've been through when I had loved that person. That's the difference when you say, had, or has, Kyulkyung," she glanced at the Chinese.

 

"Unnie, I'm sorry. I didnt mean what I said before," Kyulkyung apologized, lowered her voice. "It seems, you've been..."

"Hurt,"

 

Nodding, Amber didnt reply to deny or disagree with the girl's guess.

 

"Yes, I've been hurt when I had loved someone but now I'm fine. All people, now I look at them equally and accept love in general, not with emotion and feelings anymore,"

 

"Is he really bad?" Yebin tried to ask.

 

Amber turned her face to see her coursemate. Mentally she thought, the girl assumed she had fallen for a boy. And maybe all the girls with her on that moment also assumed that she's telling a love story of her and a boy.

 

She wanted to correct Yebin, and wishing to expose she had fallen in love with a girl but as she realized, she's not in the right time and place, Amber just nod at Yebin's question.

 

"Aww, poor unnie..." Dahyun murmured and moved closer to Amber, putting her hand on the older. "Just forget him, unnie. I'm sure, a nice girl like you, there's billion of guys are waiting,"

 

"Yeah, I can introduce my brother to you too," Kyulkyung pouted, getting upset. "But he's just nine years old. Can you wait for 10 years more?"

 

 

That made Amber laughed out loud, breaking over the gloomy atmosphere since they're too immersed with her sad love story.

 

"No,no," she denied, still laughing. "I'm not that desparate Kyulkyung-ah,"

"Oh gosh you're so funny!"

 

"No... please dont laugh..." Kyulkyung whinned. "I thought you're still sad that's why I'm offering my brother,"

 

"Haha, thanks for 'offering your brother', but for serious I'm fine.  I dont need boyfriend at this time, okay?" Amber stopped laughing as she explained. "Aigoo you guys are so innocent and pure,"

 

 

"Amber unnie," Minkyung called. "You can fall in love again. Its not a sin to do so,"

 

"Yeah, we all can keep falling in love for hundred times, we all are human and have to fulfilled our needs. Having boyfriend or a date, oh come one, we just live once, if that guy , of course we can move on and try others," told Dahyun.

 

"Its not that easy, Dubu. Fall in love isnt like we're pressing replay or rewind buttons. We dont decide on who will we love. In fact, love come naturally. Like you all love your family, did you guys plan that?"

 

The girls shake their heads at the same time which made Amber chuckled.

 

"See," she muttered. "Its similar when you fall in love. It just happen, beyond our mind-control and self-consciousness. Later you guys will understand when you're at my age right now,"

 

"You mean, when a lot of experiences and difficulties that you've been through?" its Minkyung's voice.

 

"Yes, right. You got my point here, Minky,"

 

Yebin, with mouth wided released a small sigh. "I'm afraid now. What if I fall in love with wrong person?"

 

"About that, still I can't figure it out yet, " Amber answered and drink her water. "But my dear Yebin, sometimes we accept the love that we think we deserve. Probably we fell for someone who can't love us back or get hurt by loving them but we'll be fine if we appreciate the feelings, not just the person,"

"When we know how much it hurts, then we'll know how to survive,"

 

"Daebak unnie..." Dahyun murmured as she gazed at Amber with satisfy look.

"You're sooo talented in literature, I can see that really clear, you know,"

 

 

"Well, life is literature, let's just agree with that, can we?" Amber smiled, looking at the girls one by one.

 

Minkyung grabbed her cup and raised it high in the air, "Officially I join Amber unnie's life literature club now, who else in??"

 

"I"m in!" Yebin copied Minkyung first then followed by Kyulkyung and Dahyun.

 

"I'm in too!!!"

 

"Of course, I'm innn!!!"

 

 

Amber let out a chuckle and raised her cup as well, "Welcome to life literature club," she announced.

 

They made a group toast and drink the soda like they're having a beer or champagne.

 

"Thanks for sharing your love lesson with us, President Amber," Yebin said, faking a serious face. She bowed then, "I will try hard to be the best member for the club. I will fight for the name of life literature!"

 

"Hahaha, you idiot, no need for that!" Dahyun laughed.

 

 

As she stared at each faces at the moment, Amber felt a part of the scar inside her heart slowly healed. The young girls still little for her. They're too young and too innocent to understand the meaning of her story that been told. She left the untold story in, not to be delivered and wanting to fit in with them although she awared how different she is to be compared to the rest of girls.

 

Amber said in her mind,

 

I dont believe I can love someone again like how I loved her.

 

I wish she's the first girl I loved and would be the last too.

 

Although for seven incarnations, I think I will be unlucky in love.

 

Just like in this life.

 

Love?

 

Beautiful and perfect for others. Not me.

 

Have a date or life partner?

 

I think I didnt destined for that.

Maybe boys and girls, God created them to be a pair.

 

But, I'm not being counted in.

 

I'm different.

 

I'm totally different because,

 

 

I love Minah, a girl with bright smile who can't even love me back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________

 

Yeah, Minah Girl's Day is the 'past heroine' in Amber's life.

 

 

Thanks for subscribing, reading, commenting and waiting ya! ^^

 

 

Love Love,

 

Ryai The Scientist.