บทที่ 8

My Past, Present & Future

The skinny girl think twice either she really need to knock or not. Afraid if her housemate will find her existence there will be such a disturbance.

 

Before anything else happen, the owner of the room opened her door right at the time.

And Amber's hand already raised, ready to knock on.

 

Krystal said, "Its second time, you are standing in front of my door, and looking like someone who lose a puppy,"

The tomboy sighed a smile,

 

"No... I just hoping you're doing fine with the stuff,"

 

"For tomorrow?"

 

"Yes it is,"

 

Crossing her arms while looking at the other figure,

"I thought, you don't have any interest on me. I thought I'm not attractive to get your attention, which normally people do,"

 

"And why of that?" Amber replied, gazing at the pretty lady as well.

 

"They go all crazy as they see me, and you're not,"

 

"Yes, I'm not,"

 

"You're the first one like that," she pursed her lips, "Even girls fall for me, Ms. Amber. You're quite different,"

 

Amber laughed, "Are we doing pep talk right now cause I'm smelling someone is trying to get my attention directly on her. She called out probably, wanted me to notice her,"

"Aren't you Krys?"

 

"Well..." Krystal sniffed, "The truth is, you are really interested on me. Look at you, standing here saying nothing and based on that expresssion you're giving, and those dilated eyes, I'm sure you care,"

 

"Oh," Amber was petrified. She thinking hard to find a solid reason to deny but at the end, she smiled. "Who would not like seeing you? Beauty with brain, you're perfect to be stare at,"

 

Krystal felt the time paused, and the air get thin all of sudden. Her father's old voice echoed insidely then,

 

"Whoever say you're perfect although they knew, you aren't. It means they love you, sweetheart,"

 

 

The stares gotten away when the older cleared awkwardly.

"I think its the best to make sure I've got everything... Things which are necessary to bring and other stuff, you know," she paused then.

"To be honest, I don't really like being in high place but yeah, I know it will be great experience for me,"

"And I want to thank you for joining,"

 

Krystal gave a little smile.

"Yeah, welcome. I want some experience too, that's why I'll go with you,"

 

"Actually I came to knock because I want to let you know I'll help if you need something,"

 

The latter shakes her head, "Nah, I have my everything," she backed off and let Amber see the space on her mattress.

"In the luggage, there are all I need,"

 

"You mean, you'll carry luggage until we reach the peak?"

 

"Yeah,"

 

"Why I think you're still want to keep that classy image although you know, there's no special trail for that thing throughout the hill?"

 

"What do you mean? I don't get it," Krystal furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

 

"Krys, you need backpack, not Marc & Jacobs travel luggage to win over Mountain Hallasan. You can't put it at your back, you'll limit your moves,"

 

"So?"

 

"Get yourself travel backpack, and I guarantee it'll be easier,"

 

"Ughfff, really???"

 

Amber nodded.

 

"Are you free now?" Krystal asked.

 

"Yes, I'd packed,"

 

"Then, let's go get me that kind of bag you said,"

 

"You're asking me out?" Amber replied.

 

"Oh yes, was that wrong?"

 

"N--no..."

 

"And...?" her bare forehead scrunched as she glanced at Amber. "Can we go, like... right now?"

 

"Aaa.. alright, sure, let's go," Amber kept her cool.

But inside, she wondered why she had struggle to mutter.

 

 

 

 

***

 

"I'm surprised," Amber claimed. She shoved  her right hand into the pocket and made a move. "I saved 50 dollars to have my traveller bag and you spent more than 100 dollars for our three days expedition. Is it worth for you, young lady?"

Krystal, followed Amber's step as they both left the international brand outlet after she purchased Osprey Farpoint 55 Backpack, keeping it wrapped neatly with the plastic.

Knowing the younger having problem to carry the new item, Amber offered herself, sticking out her hand for help.

 

"Let me hold for you,"

 

Krystal blew amount of an air as she passed the bag and showed the older girl her gratitude, "Thanks, you look tougher and better carrying this for me,"

 

"Whush, we're not even at the mountain trail yet and don't tell me that you're going to make me carry this bag of yours too throughout the day???"

 

"I'm strong, really, but...not today," she grinned at Amber then.

"What you said, Amber, was an idea. Its probably to make you as good company, who knows?"

 

"Hmmh, I knew it, you like to boss around,"

 

"No, I'm not!"

 

"Yes you do... a way better to ease your load, you're going to pretend you're weak and then, you would confirm that I can be there to help," Amber replied. "Precisely, I'm going to be your unpaid slave,"

 

"Which suits you really well, Amber Liu,"

 

The latter scoffed in disbelief. She stopped her walk and looked at the pretty, who's putting her cute face unpurposely. "I'm not anyone's slave,"

"Mark my words,"

 

Frowning at Amber's sudden serious tone, Krystal asked, "You didn't take this as joke, aren't you?"

 

When there's no reply, she chuckled.

Pulling Amber's broad shoulder closed to hers, she stated, "Why so serious?"

 

Sighed, Amber snorted, "The word 'slave' doesn't suit me, okay?"

 

"Yeah and I'm sorry for that," with half-closed eyes, Krystal smiled.

"You're okay if we get something to drink? I'm thirsty,"

 

"Sounds you're trying to buy me back," Amber can't hide her smile as well.

 

"Yeah, definitely. You're clever,"

 

And they both chuckled in sync.

 

 

 

The crowded place didnt even a matter to them both afterward. Taking time with quite steady conversation, Krystal can tell, it was her first time she feels comfortable being with someone else, other than her own sister.

And that someone else is exactly Amber on that moment.

She feels, she has friend, for real.

 

Either the handsome girl is too good in dominating their topic or she's too good in tolerating the situation, she never knows. What she got, they are in the perfect place and in the perfect time as well.

She thinks, it is very adequate to have Amber by her side.

 

"So," Amber paused as she sipped for the hot Americano, "I'll ask you straight then. What's the thing made you feels, you're the only girl living in the world like you said? As clearly I can see, you don't have someone to company wherever you go, so far,"

 

Krystal pushed her brain to work for a while before she replied, "I don't like to wait and I don't like people to wait me. I love to hit it alone, as simple as that,"

 

"By keeping yourself a distance from others?"

 

"Yeah,"

 

Amber gazed into Krystal's sharp eyes, trying to figure out why that girl always feel that way. "You should know being happy isn't meaning to have all the happiness by yourself, Ms. Krystal. Do you know that human are actually created in pairs?"

 

"God invented girl to be with boy and man with woman... like that?" Krystal asked. 

 

Amber didn't reply instantly but cheerish little moment to think.

"Yes, boys with girls and men with women,"

"This entire world, we are sharing it together under one roof, Krys. The same beautiful blue sky, the same breeze air and the same purpose of life,"

 

When she saw Krystal's frowned, Amber continued, "We all want to be happy, that's it. Happiness isn't just for single person although sometimes, it is,"

"Have you heard of saying, sharing is caring?"

 

Hard to deny, Krystal gave a nod, with little smile on her face.

 

"Hmm, that's what I meant," Amber stated and added, "Maybe, you'll find the best person whom you can share everything with, Krystal. Not now, soon but perhaps later,"

 

The other girl just puffed her cheeks, and released a mouthful of air. She looked back at the face in front of her, "I... don't think like that,"

 

"Why?"

 

She shrugged, "I don't know, just... not really agree with you... for now,"

 

"Krys," Amber stared at the latter, calling her by the short name which made Krystal wondered why it lingers inside.

"You don't need to agree, you just need to live with it. You can't run from being in love or wanted to be loved. Its nature,"

 

"For some reason, I'm sure you're qualified in cupid academy, Amber," she changed the topic and the boyish bursted afterward,

"Oh now, you're avoiding away from what I've just said!"

 

Faking a clueless face, she asked, "What? I can't remember what you said, Ms. Josephine,"

 

"Wait... how did you know my middle name???"

 

"Stupid, we filled the form together,"

 

"What?"

 

"Hhh... just forget about it,"

 

Amber smiled warmly,

"Are you excited for tomorrow?"

 

She responded with only a small nod.

 

"But unfortunately, I'm not really," told Amber.

 

Krystal quickly asked then, "Why?"

 

"Because, I'm phobia in heights,"

 

When the latter curved a weak smile for her, Krystal's expression changed. She don't know why her hand reached for Amber's and gave a gentle pat. "You'll be okay. If something not right, just tell me right away,"

 

Also mesmerized by the sudden touch, Amber had hard time to mutter back. However, she able to nod.

 

"Yes, thank you for that,"