บทที่ 14

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Lost Stars cover by Pristin Roa)


 

Breaking off herself from the longing stares, Amber took initiative by turning away her face.

Secretly inside, her beating heart couldn't stop telling- that moment, it was very different. Telling her to follow what it has said, "You are now admiring this pretty girl, Amber. You don't have reason to deny," but instead she engulfed everything she feels by forcing a smile.

 

"Yeah I'm weird, I shouldn't said that way," told Amber, pretending to look on the food container. "So when people compliment you, thank you in short notice could help you to... feel better,"

 

Krystal gazed at the boyish, thinking, her react was nonsense. Their staring moment was strange, incredibly strange in a good way but Krystal had wondered why she was trying to deny something that had happened normally.

She used to people recognizing her good look, they were all the same as what the tomboy had said.

"Beautiful," the single word who commonly people chose to describe her as person. But when it was Amber who said it, Krystal felt, the breathtaking thunder strucked deep into her heart. It was like million of electricity running through her veins.

 

"Your sister probably coming back late, I suppose I need to stay here watching you until she returns. Are you... okay with that?" the husky voice broke her thoughts, making Krystal immediately snapped back to reality.

 

"O-oh, yes... just please... stay,"

 

And Amber smiled again, shifting her eyes at the pretty woman.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Three days passed and Krystal had been discharged from the ward room, when finally the hospital food didn't touch her taste bud anymore, she felt blessed.

But another thing invaded her mind, inevitably.

The due for her thesis submission just left with two days, yet she still find there's lot of things to be done as soon as possible. Then, she went again with her previous behaviour- not taking care of her new eating schedule properly. And that's the time her new 'company' knocked on her door, holding a tray with a set of meal.

 

"There you are," Amber greeted when Krystal opened the door. "Busy again and forgetting you food,"

The younger released a sigh as she remembered, she didnt save time to eat. 

 

"Seriously, this thesis is killing me," she said under her breath, before signalling the tomboy to step into her space. "I don't do well in this subject, you know. I hate the lecturer but I need his marks,"

 

Placing the tray on the study desk, Amber chuckled.

"Well, its the truth. No matter how much you hate the professors, still, your grades in their hands. I do not really fond my art tutor, that Kim woman but her assesment- is shockingly effective,"

 

"Yeah, I've heard of her. No student score A's for her course. But you still have guts to take her in. Why?" Krystal told, tucking back her long hair to the back of her head, and grabbed the chopsticks. "Thanks for the food,"

 

"Most welcome," Amber replied and added again, "She's unique. Particularly considerate and tolerable person. I don't mind with not getting A's but, everytime I'm in her class, I'd always learn something new, refreshing and exciting,"

 

"Which part is exciting huh? Don't tell me art class also give you life lesson instead of philosophy," Krystal interrupted, sipping the hot soup.

 

Amber crossed her arms, sitting half on the desk then lifted her eyebrows, "Everything she said, I can relate them to my life. When she wanted us to draw, she wanted it to be perfect imaginary. The drawing we pictured on the canvas, each of the touch of the brush must have something to tell. I found it amazing,"

 

"Hmm, because you adore that Kim so much, nothing much I can say," murmured Krystal, munching the food Amber made. They exchanged looks for a moment, and the older chuckled again. She walked from the desk and sat herself on Krystal's mattress, rightly beside the latter.

"I can help you, with this thesis thing,"

 

Krystal's eyes widen, "What? No... this is individual work, I can't get your help,"

 

"Is your lecturer said no help on individual work? Like someone who you can ask or you might need to achieve information?"

 

The long-haired woman just shake her head.

 

"Then, why you insist my help? I am quite useful, especially in this course. Well, exactly, our courses almost same,"

 

"I don't want to trouble you,"

 

"No, you don't,"

 

She stopped enjoying her meal, taking glance at the boyish face. Later when Amber shifted her head and their eyes met, Krystal avoided, turning her face away.

 

Amber stated more,

"Since, we're just getting ready for the final terms, I have so many spare time left. And Krys, you were sick, it will cause a trouble to you, not me,"

 

The younger paused, letting the thoughts of hesitation ran rapidly inside her head. Sighing, she snorted back, "Alright, you can help me to summarize the phrase,"

 

"Oh, summarize? Sounds easy," Amber replied,  seeing over Krystal who just finished the bowl of rice.

 

"Not easy, its very difficult, you silly. Translate to Korean,"

 

And Amber's face changed as she heard the Korean phase. Then, its her turn to sigh.

 

"What's with that face?"Krystal asked, half-smiling.

 

"Uhm... it might be difficult for me but don't worry, I'll bring you my special squad,"

 

"What squad???"

 

"Life literature girls' squad,"

 

Krystal's forehead scrunched in confusion. "The f*** is that???"

 

"Oh my!" Amber laughed then. "Do you even need to cuss now???

 

Rolling her eyes in annoyance, she muttered, "Ughhh...you, sadist,"

 

"What you said???"

 

"No, nothing," Krystal said and passed the tray back to Amber, saying "I'm done,"

 

"Just the nice way to say thank you..."

 

Krystal stucked her tongue playfully and that made Amber response with a slight shake of her head, thinking it was unbelievable to witness the beautiful's childish side.

 

"You know, I'll trying to figure out  something about you," suddenly Krystal said.

 

"What?" Amber frowned.

 

"You're soft, despite of your...well I can say, masculinity, and I really-really like you for being that," she stopped for a moment, checking Amber's expression. Then furthered again,

"I wonder how do you cope with these kind of people? In America, yes, its normal. But here, they are so... rigid. What it feel to be you?"

 

Amber sighed a smile at her.

"You want to know? Really?"

 

Krystal nods her head.

 

"Its long story and we might end up sleeping on the floor while your thesis will not be done. I have options for you,"

"First, I can tell you my story but it will waste your time on thesis making. Number two, I will spare this story later and we will do your thesis as priority for now,"

"Choose wisely, Krystal Jung,"

 

"Ughhh you, sadist..." she scoffed.

 

"Hey! You said it twice already!"

 

"What? I'm saying the truth! You and your sadistic ruined my mood of talking,"

 

"And what the point of talking then? No need to talk, let's do your work, Ms. Princess from not Wales,"

 

"Are you really mean it?"

 

"Yes, let's get over this conversation. Less talking, do working," said Amber more.

 

"No, I mean that princess thing,"

 

"Yeah, that's too. You and your... classy image, I see no end for it so yeah, Ms. Princess from Not Wales, fit you really well,"

 

 

"Now I stick with my favourite nickname for you since you have my nickname," Krystal talked back.

 

"Oh, really? What is my nickname?"

 

"Sadist,"

 

Amber hissed in disagreement. "I'll forget your nickname then, you'll forget mine,"

 

"Alright deal!" Krystal raised her pinky-laughed.

 

 

That night, Amber gathered her life literature squad which include Dahyun, Yebin, Kyulkyung and their extra Minkyung- the 2nd year student. Since the only pure Korean are Yebin, Dahyun and Minkyung, whom been an official resident since born, Krystal gave most the part to them, translating every term in her thesis paper.

While Amber and Kyulkyung were spending time watching the latest show at the corner.

 

"You guys are not that kind of help," mumbled Krystal as she heard giggles from the two. She had wishful thought, hoping the work could be done before midnight and with the help of the trio, everything seems getting smooth as not she expected. Their efforts she got actually are very useful at that time.

 

"We are helping! Lighting up the mood so you guys would never be bored and sleepy!" said Kyulkyung, reaching for the popcorn.

"Yeah, she has the point, Krys. I'm not going to ruin your thesis paper with my broken Korean unless, you want me to do it willingly," added Amber. "Mr. Mystery guy here is so attractive, I can't keep my eyes away,"

 

Dahyun tilted her head to see them and asked, "What are you watching?"

 

"Korean Odyssey." replied Kyulkyung.

 

"Whoa, sound interesting!"

 

"Dubu, focus. We're almost done here, finish your sentence, please," Yebin interrupted as her tiny fingers dribling on the paper. "Unnie, I have one paragraph last, but don't really understand," she shifted her head then toward Krystal.

"What does it mean by what puts on clothes in hot summer and takes them off in cold winter... Could possibly this is a hidden meaning???"

 

"What? Let me see," Krystal snorted as she reached for the paper from the girl. Her face scrunched, trying to figure out what it is. "Could it be something like sayings in Korean?"

 

"Hmmm, yes. We call it riddle, a sentence with vague meaning and we have to solve what it has said," Yebin told.

 

"Probably, that sentence is a riddle," Krystal stated and continued, "Who is here good at solving riddle?"

 

They both looked at Minkyung first and when she shrugged her shoulder, they turned next to Dahyun, which the girl only pouted her lips as response.

 

 

"A tree," Amber answered and caught their attention.

 

"A tree?" Krystal lifted her eyebrows then. "Are you sure?"

 

The tomboy rose from the cushion and walked her direction to the dining table, a placework for Krystal and the girls doing the translation thing. She reached for the paper from Yebin and read it for a second.

 

"Look closely on a tree during winter. There's no leaf at all and when the summer comes, they grows. Leaf is a symbol for clothes,"

 

Yebin pushed her brain to think hard, and when she finally figured it out, she snapped her finger in the air.

"You are brilliant! That's sound logic!"

 

"Yeah... it seems so..." the pretty woman added, agreeing. "You... are so good in this, then," Krystal complimented, gazing at Amber's face. "Is your ambition to be a poet?"

 

The eldest girl only chuckled, "No... I'm not into poem but I've seen this riddle somewhere from the internet. I love scrolling through reading quotes and sayings. It is one of my habit to do before going to bed,"

 

"Rather than approving me at Twitter when you're online?" Krystal asked.

 

"O-oh, you sent me a friend request???"

 

"Yes,  I had. It was like, two weeks ago,"

 

"Whoa, I thought girl like you is so busy and antisocial," said Amber.

 

Krystal gave Amber her perplexed look-annoyed,
"Judgemental, you are,"

 

And the boyish chuckled again.

 

Secretly taking a glance on the handsome figure, Krystal asked in her gentle tone,

"I think I should reward you and your girl's squad for helping me out tonight. Are you... okay if we go out somewhere nice after this?"

 

"After this? At this hour?"

 

"Well, tomorrow is Saturday and I'd just need to submit this file online. Scan and send. All done by that," she furthered more, "Trying out for... maybe some froth, caramel, latte, caffein and anything that reduces stress. What do you think?"

 

Amber stared at the beauty for a while before sighing a smile,

"I don't mind but you can ask the girls first. I don't have any caffein tolerance though,"

 

"Good," said Krystal, nodding.

 

"Girls," Amber raised her voice to get their attention. When Kyulkyung took the remote and turned off the volume and shifted at her, she asked, "You guys ready for our first night out?"

 

"Night out? You mean one night stand?" Kyulkyung's statement made Minkyung,Yebin and Dahyun bursted to laugh while Amber and Krystal's face stunned in surprise. They both didn't expect her to say that.

 

"Noooo, Pinky, its overnight, not one night stand. You chose the wrong term here, dear," Amber corrected the Chinese.

 

"Ops, I'm sorry," Kyulkyung apologized, grinning her teeth. "But what does mean by one night stand though? I've heard it so many times from my classmates,"

 

"Uhh, uhm... its about having night together," Amber stuttered.

 

"So, then what's the difference?" Kyulkyung paused, frowning at her. "I think overnight involves having night together, right?"

 

"O-oh... uhm actually Pinky... I think you---," hearing over Amber's silly explanation, Krystal slipped in.

 

"One night stand involves , kiddo. And overnight doesn't involve . Clear?"

 

This time, Kyulkyung's face had changed. The laughing trio still holding their giggles as Amber glared at them.

 

"Hiding the real meaning doesn't help you explaining things, stupid. It doesn't help her either in improving her Korean, you know," told Krystal casually. She finished the last translation of her sentence before compiling all the paper together while biting her ball pen. "And... correction, having night together also not an actual brief when we're talking about, overnight,"

"I don't think we are going to have a night together, isn't it?"

 

Krystal let her eyes stared at Amber, pausing her words.

 

The statement made Amber's mouth went shut, speechless. And the staring contest happened again between them.

 

 

 

"Unless, you both agree to have night time together," Dahyun intruded with her evil smile. "Right, Amber unnie?"

 

"Uhh... well... no, actually we are very..far away from the main topic, " she muttered as secretly gripping tight onto Dahyun's shoulder, signalling the girl to be quiet. "I suppose everyone okay going out tonight for a drink and Ms Krystal, we are so glad to help you,"

 

"Yeah, thanks for that anyway," Krystal said. She voiced out suddenly then,

"So, who's up to soju and beer???"

 

Minkyung, Yebin, Kyulkyung and Dahyun raised their hands right on the time, eyes glittered and face excited.

Meanwhile, Amber, just released a small sigh, shaking her head off.

 

"Jeez... you.. sadist, have fun!" Krystal hissed.

 

"No, I can't have alcohol,"

 

"Oh really? What kind of adult are you then??"

 

"A very well-behaved adult, maybe?"

 

Ignoring the boyish girl, Krystal rolled her eyes before reaching for every paper on the table. "Thanks Dahyun, Yebin and Minky. I'll show you my gratitude by treating you all the best soju in town," and then she turned her face at Kyulkyung.
 

"Of course, you too, Pinky,"

 

 

"Yayyyyyy" the girl made their hurray dance together, leaving Amber alone who didn't approve the idea of getting drunk for that night.

Krystal just smirk at her and raised high her eyebrows,

 

"Are you in, nerdy poet?"

"Or... you want to spend your time tonight scrolling through the quotes, saying and idioms by yourself?"

 

The Amber girl just gave Krystal her disapproval look but then, she breathed in a sigh.

 

"Alright, I'm in," she said with her barely audible voice.