บทที่ 12

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Imagination by Shawn Mendes)

 

As she inserts crackers and her favourite cookies into the trolley, she glanced onto the piece of note she's been holding.

Coffee, creamer, and sugar. That's what I need more.

Pushing through the drinks section, Amber checks on every inch of the shelf. From the top to the bottom, searching for her favourite coffee brand. Almost 3 minutes keeping her eyes straight on the rack, she finally found the item and take it directly without any hesitation. Next, she's hoping she can 'discover' another stuff very shortly since she needs to be back before 8 pm. The last bus will be arriving at 7.30pm and she has only an hour to go. 

 

"Amber," a familiar voice called out from her back.

 

She turned around and able to see, the figure that she's been avoiding since a few years ago, beautifully stand in front of her eyes.

Amber feels, her tongue has been click by a stapler which made she became speechless.

 

"Oh... hey..." she awkwardly greeted back, avoiding the girl's tiny eyes. 

 

"You're alone?" she asked further while staring inside of Amber's trolley.

 

 

"Yeah, just me,"

 

There was a very strange and awkward situation between them. The older froze at her surprise state while the younger one also out of things to say. 

It took Amber quite some time to be brave to utter something. Until she finally able to fight back all her feelings and curved a smile,

 

"How are you doing, Minah? You're also alone coming here?"

 

The latter flashed her eye-smile back, "No, I'm not alone. I have my unnie. She's now at somewhere, probably thinking hard what to buy,"

 

 

"I see...." Amber stated. "I just settled down here and become a university student. You're... working?"

 

 

"Yes, I'm helping my unnie with the cafe and I know you're a student, your cousin told me before," Minah replied. "Why not you come around and have a visit? We can catch up later,"

 

"Oh, it would be great but I'm literally rushing right now. I'm sorry," Amber said, apologizing. "Maybe some other time?"

 

Minah smiled again,

"Yeah, some other time,"

 

Then, Minah's older sister popped out to the scene, pushing hard the trolley which contains full of flour products. She looked at the boyish girl,

"Hey! You! Key's cousin, right???"

 

Amber just nod her head.

 

"Oh... such a coincidence! What are you doing here? Do you come with Key???" Hyuna's excited face and loud voice became the sort of reason to light up the scene.

 

"No, unnie. She's staying here, and she is shopping alone," Minah answered on the other's behalf.

 

"Really???" Hyuna looked at Amber. The handsome tomboy nodded again with her small smile. 

 

"I hope to see you and your cousin regularly. You know, since your last visit to my cafe shop, that was the last time I saw him. I'm so happy to have you two around,"

 

"I wish the same too, Hyuna-ssi. But as a student, I'm quite busy for the final term. I hope you can understand that," replied Amber. "However, if I'm available, I will be willing to go, don't worry,"  

 

Hyuna gave her bright face as she tapped Amber's shoulder. "I keep that as promise!"

 

"Sure, promised," Amber raised her hand in the air, smiling wide. Later when her eyes caught a glance on Minah, her former girlfriend- the smile slowly faded.

"Anyway, I have a bus to catch, see you two next time?"

 

"Of course! I'll make your beloved Americano if you glad to come!" said Hyuna again.

 

The boyish chuckled then,

"Thanks, it will be nice of you," and she bowed, avoiding Minah's eyes as she excused from the space.

 

Little did she knows, the younger girl stared at her back, without any sound or any blink until the boyish figure disappeared from her sight.

Deep inside, Minah knew, Amber that she had loved, still remember the memory of their first love. She is very sure, based on the look which Amber gave just now, she still hurts.

 

And she can't help but feel the same as well.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

(Listening to I was a Fool by Tegan and Sara)

 

Taking her time reminiscing through some of the memories, Amber's keen eyes stared at the view of the dark night from the window side as the bus moved much slower as it been.

 

Flashback, 10 years ago...

 

Amber stared at their intertwined hands, having Minah's head leaning on her broad shoulder as she breathed in deep into the air. And when the girl lifted up her face, their eyes caught with each other.

 

"What are we doing?" Minah asked in her soft voice.

 

"I don't know, you tell me, Minnie," replied Amber, staring straight at the flawless face.

 

The long-haired girl sighed,

"Everyone is talking about us, Amber. I want to know what you're going to do,"

 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

Amber's frown made Minah added another small sigh. She released her hand from Amber's and muttered, " I'm so scared, Amber. I'm afraid people think wrongly about us,"

 

 

"What is wrong with us?" asked Amber.

 

 

Minah took a glimpse on the latter's handsome face as she replied with sadness, "It is us. Our feelings, you and me. We are doing wrong,"

 

Upon hearing those words, Amber felt something stabbed deep in her heart. "You mean... Loving you is wrong?"

 

There's no reply or sound, just a brief silent moment.

 

"I'm in love with you. I can't push this feeling away, Minnie. It will be hard for me, and for you too..."

 

"No... No, Amber. I didn't... think I love you more than a sister,"  finally Amber able to see Minah's face as she shifted up her head from looking down on the ground. "Remember, Ms Wilson said it is a sin to love each other like you do for me. I love you, but only as a friend, as a sister. Don't misunderstand me,"

 

Amber looked into Minah's eyes, holding back her tears.

"Are you aware of what just you said to me? All I can remember was you said you love me the way I do. We kissed, and you're happy having me by your side. What else better than that...?"

 

"Amber, that's why I said we did wrong. We can't have romantic feelings for each other.  I'm sorry, but I can't do this anymore," she rose from the bench, and almost walking away but Amber was fast enough to reach for her hand.

 

"I'll fight for you, Bang Minah. Whatever it takes, I'll get it through for you. Ignore what Ms Wilson said, she knows nothing about us. I love you and I really need you in my life,"

"Give me a chance to prove myself. I'll make you happy, I promise,"

 

But Minah avoided the pleading, she shakes her head, cried and pushed Amber's hand away from her.

"I'm sorry, I have to go now,"

 

 

The tears ran through her cheeks as she watched the girl she loves slowly faded from her eye-sight.

 

 

 

 

"Hey boy, isn't this is your stop?" the bus driver's voice broke her daydream. He turned around to see Amber. "Hurry up please,"

 

Amber immediately grabbed the plastic bags and rise from the seat. She apologized and bowed politely before making her way out from the public transport.

 

As the bus drifted away, Amber released a sigh. Lazily taking steps, she walked to the hostel's direction, with mind still thinking of her sudden encounter with Minah.

 

She never forgets how painful it was to take what happened in past.

Amber asked herself,

 

"Why people always say love is unconditional for everyone, but not for me?"

 

 

 

 

***

 

Her presence had been welcomed by Krystal who's working out her paperwork on the dining table. The pretty face only glanced at Amber as they said 'hey' to each other.

 

"Where have you been? It's quite late," asked Krystal, eyes glued to the laptop screen. Taking off her shoes, the older girl grabbed all the stuff she had purchased and shown them to the latter,

"Here, it took some time to have these, Ms Krystal. Besides, I went by bus and you know how slow the public transport is. ,"

 

She stopped tapping the keyboard, turned her face to see the tomboy.  "Actually, I'd never have use the bus. Sorry for not understanding," then continued again with her typing activity.

 

Amber bluffed her cheeks, "Whoa, are you the Princess of Wales or something? Even Queen Elizabeth II takes shuttle bus to see her people,"

"Unbelievable,"

 

"Why? You have problem with that?" Krystal glared at Amber.

 

She was taken aback by the sudden seriousness so she replied,

"No, not a big deal. Perhaps you have some other public transport that you can use regularly. Train or commuter, right?"

 

Krystal shakes her head. "Nope, never use that too,"

 

"Then...." Amber choked at her own words, "I'll go to my room. Sorry for interrupting, Ms Princess," and with only few moments, Amber's figure disappeared from the living room, leaving Krystal who still trying to complete her work.

 

She's been there for hours, constructing articles, quoting thesis, editing and editing. The submission day is coming soon but she still have long way to go.

And her body didnt helping either. As she fighting to finish her work, a sudden pain attacked her stomach. At first, she assumed it was only a hungry tummy since she didnt eat anything since morning.

It became worse when she felt a strong sting inside, and she can't hold anymore as she cried in pain.

 

Her face turned pale and her pinky lips turned blue as she's trying to endure. Even her forehead drained with sweats.

 

Krystal had a hardtime to breath while pressing her stomach. She rose from the seat, and hoping it will feel less but it increased more the sting. She fell on the floor and lost consciousness. At the same time, Kyulkyung walked out from the bathroom after her shower, with her body wrapped in the towel.

 

"Unnie?!" she yelled in surprised as she noticed Krystal was lying on the floor, unconscious. Quickly ran to the latter, she called out her name.

"Krystal unnie! Unnie!"

 

Panicked, Kyulkyung shouted for her other housemates, "Dahyun! Amber-unnie!" it took several times for her to shout loudly until the door opened by force.

And Dahyun's face was first to show up. Her eyes widen as she saw Kyulkyung is crying on Krystal's side.

 

"Oh my God! What happen???" the girl shouted back, immediately ran to spot where Krystal's body is lying. She kneeled down and ruffled back Krystal's hair from her face. "What happen???"

 

"I dont know! I'd just finish showering and when I walked out from toilet, Krystal-unnie already here, in this state!"

 

Then, Amber's figure appeared from her room. As same as both Kyulkyung and Dahyun, she was very shocked too.

 

"Unnie, please call the ambulans!" shouted Dahyun but has been hold on by Kyulkyung, "No! It will be very late! We need someone who can drive! It can bring her faster to hospital!"

 

"I can drive," Amber volunteered as she placed herself on Dahyun's side, checking Krystal's pale face by putting her palms on her forehead. "She's having a high fever," turning her face to the younger girls, Amber said, "Pinky, dress up now and Dahyun, go to Krystal's room and take her handbag. We must hurry, her pulse is very weak,"

 

Nodding their head vigorously, they did like what the boyish had instructed.

 

5 minutes later, Kyulkyung ran out from her room, wearing short pants and white shirts, letting her hair wet while Dahyun came back with Krystal's handbag.

 

Amber used all her strength, lifting Krystal's body, bridal style and grunted a little. Ensuring she able to hold Krystal's in whole, Amber asked Dahyun to open their housedoor.

 

"Grab the car key," Amber told Kyulkyung, referring to the hanging bunch of keys at the wall. The long-hair girl took it instantly then and Amber began to step as the two followed her closed.