บทที่ 31

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Gone With the Wind by Hwang Chi Yeul) 

 

Amber eyed herself at the mirror as she fixed the fringe of hair and tighten the coat on her body. 

 

"Amber unnie," the door has been opened by Yebin, who also wears a full set of black attire and caught her attention. "We are all ready," 

 

"Me too," Amber replied before taking the last glance of her reflection. "Let's go then," she asked, tapping Yebin's shoulder. 

But the younger muttered, 

"Krystal unnie..." 

 

Amber frowned. 

"Why?" 

 

"She... still in her room. Don't you think she should go too?" 

 

Amber breathed a sigh as she gazed at the smaller figure, 

"I'm going to talk to her. What if you guys wait me at the guardhouse?" 

 

Clearly understood what the older has meant, Yebin quickly nodded her head. "I'll tell Wendy unnie to wait for you and Krystal unnie then," 

 

Amber also nodded back as she thanked the latter. 

 

 

 

"Hey Krys," she called out the room's owner, knocking the door as gentle as she can. When there's no reply from the inside, Amber braved herself to twist the knob. She stepped into Krystal's room and has been greeted by the dark atmosphere. 

She caught a sight of Krystal was lying on the mattress as her body faced to the window. 

Amber walked closer and placed her at the edge of the bed, tried to start a talk, 

"Krys... you're not feeling well?" 

 

She saw Krystal had shook her head. 

 

"So then, why are you still here?" 

 

Only silence as Krystal's response. 

 

"Krys... I know you'll say I don't understand any of this, but trust me, your presence there will mean a lot to Sinbi," 

 

Again, she still in her quiet mode and that made Amber released a small sigh. 

 

"I'm not going to force you to accept her because I know deep down you already are," the boyish stated calmly and rose from the mattress, still looking at the long haired woman. 

"If you wanna change your mind, better be there before 5 pm because she will be sent away around that time," she added and left Krystal in the dark. 

 

Krystal heard her door has been closed and she opened her eyes. 

 

She recalled back what Jessica has said to her through the phone, 

"Krystal, you can hate them for the rest of your life but one thing you couldn't do is breaking the blood ties and the connection we have with Sinbi. Her mother now is gone and she only has us. She is innocent, Soo Jungie, she has nothing to do with what father had done," 

"Just please, show up and forget your hatred for a while," 

 

"And mother is on her way to the funeral too," 

 

 

***

 

Amber and the girls stood there, witnessed everything as the closed funeral ceremony of their new friend's mother is being carried on by a small group of people from church. 

The boyish stared at Sinbi, who still crying at the side of her late mother's casket as her eyes also got teary because watching the sad scene was not easy for her too. 

All of them followed the ceremony until the end, where they buried the body of Sinbi's mother deep into the solid ground. 

 

During the funeral, they noticed the presence of a middle-aged woman who believed to be Jessica and Krystal's mother, Mrs. Soo Hye. 

Amber and the group also witnessed the scene where the woman and Jessica approached Sinbi and tried to sooth the girl as she still sobbing and crying hard over the passing of her mother. 

The tomboy was too immersed into the touching moment when she felt someone was tapping her back. It was Wendy. 

She directly looked at her then. 

 

"What?" Amber whispered in English. 

Wendy replied back, "She's here, finally," pointing at the other side of the cemetry. 

They both shifted their attention to Krystal, who just showed up, wearing all black and was standing not far away from them. 

 

Amber curved a little smile, eyes still at the girl she who she believes, only cold at the outside but unexpectedly warm, in the inside. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

Jessica put the fresh brewed coffee pot onto the counter island as she glimpsed at the other figure who's sitting comfortably in the living room. Then she changed her attention to Mrs. Soo Hye, "What if you bring coffee and say something to her?" she suggested then poured the bitter drink into a mug. 

The woman replied only with a small nod as she took the mug from Jessica and directed herself to the spot Krystal has been sitting on. 

"Get some rest, Soo Jung. You still have tomorrow to finish it all," she said, putting the coffee onto a small wooden table before joining her daughter on the sofa. 

 

"No.. I'm fine," Krystal replied, short. 

 

Mrs. Soo Hye took a moment staring at Krystal's face, wondering what's really inside her mind. Then, she voiced out calmly, 

"This house is very big if it just only for Jessica," 

 

"Sure yeah," 

 

"What if you move in too? You can get a lot more spacious space. There's gym at the back of the house, reading hall next to your room and you love swimming, right? The pool only a few meters away from here," 

 

"For now, I can't. I have group discussion and staying here will delay my time to go to campus," 

 

"What's the matter? You have car, Soo Jung and you're a fine driver," added the mother figure. 

 

"Actually, I'm not interested to live here," told Krystal, eyes glued at the screen of her MacBook as she typed and continued her words, "Why don't you move in then?" 

 

"You know I have to rush every weekend to Milan and Paris and my business is centered in LA," 

 

"Just retire then," 

 

Mrs. Soo Hye shook her head with Krystal's reluctance to stay in the villa that her former husband has built for his daughters. 

Jessica has been staying at the place right after her graduation and before spring, she has been informed about Yuri and Taeyeon's existence, the new tenants who are staying at the other side of the main house, which is still located in the villa's hectare area. 

And the woman also figuring out on how to tell her youngest daughter about Sinbi's right as one of the legal heiress there. 

 

"Soo Jung, I know you're not going to like it, but Sinbi will be moving in next week. She will be staying at another block," 

 

"Alone?" Krystal suddenly stopped typing and looked at her mother. 

 

"Well... technically yes, so far that I know she don't have any other relative left in this world," 

 

Avoiding Mrs. Soo Hye's eyes, Krystal began to think of what her mother has said. After quite a long pause, she stated casually, 

 

"Just let her stay here," 

 

Astonished, the woman shot back, "Are you... serious?" 

Krystal nodded, shifted back her attention to the screen. 

"I don't have any right to object father's will. So, what has been written must be done fairly. Three of us, we are his legitimate heiress. If unnie and I deserve one room here, so does Sinbi," 

 

Mrs. Soo Hye was startled on Krystal's sudden act, finally curved a smile. She caressed the daughter's top of head, muttering, 

 

"Alright then, I'll tell Jessica to help her move in," 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

"According to the mythic account recounted in the Samguk Yusa, the Gojoseon (Old Joseon) kingdom was founded in northern Korea and southern Manchuria in 2333 BCE,"

The Gija Joseon state was purportedly founded in 12th century BCE. Its existence and role has been controversial in the modern era, and seen as likely mythology.The first written historical record on Gojoseon can be found from the early 7th century BCE.The Jin state was formed in southern Korea by the 3rd century BCE. In the 2nd century BCE, Gija Joseon was replaced by Wiman Joseon, which fell to the Han dynasty of China near the end of the century. This resulted in the fall of Gojoseon and led to succeeding warring states, the Proto-Three Kingdoms period that spanned the later Iron Age," Amber read out loud the introduction of the History of Korea, definitely mesmerized by the new knowledge she has gained. She carried on reading the next details and glued at the study desk for almost 4 hours until she felt the sudden numb at her cheeks, due to the long spent on the chair. 

She streched out her body and changed the laptop to sleeping mode as she walked out from her room. Since Dahyun Yebin and Kyulkyung are out to the downtown, while Krystal still at her family's house, it left only her in the unit.
Amber decided to cook something and she thought instant noodles surely the best to have at that time because the current temparature is almost below zero celsius. 

 

Amber whinned when she realized the kitchen was out of ramen stock as she rummaged through the cabinet over and over again. Scratching her head awkwardly, she scolded herself for forgetting to refill her favourite food yesterday. 

 

"The only way to fill the empty stomach is..." she murmured and walked back to her room. "Get something to eat out or I'm gonna starve until tomorrow," 

 

The boyish girl put on thick clothes on her body and ensured she brings enough money and house-key before marched out from the unit. 

Its freezing and Amber inserted both her hands into the coat's pockets, breathing in and out as she walked out from the guardhouse. The time past nine already so she didn't expect to see a lot of students wandering around the hostel, plus, the cold weather always the reason for them to stay inside, and cover themselves in thick blankets. 

(Listening to Spark by Liza Soberano)

She was too immersed in her walk when she heard someone's calling out for her name. Amber quickly roamed her eyes around and spotted a familiar car has been parked not far away from the campus pavement. 

Then she saw the face she missed for days. 

 

 

"Where you're going?" Krystal questioned her, pressing the locked button of her automobile key as she approached the older figure. 

 

"Aaa, very hungry," Amber replied, "Only convenience store is still open at this hour I guess," and took a glimpse at her phone screen to read the time. 

 

"Ramen, again?" Krystal raised an eyebrow. 

 

Amber grinned her teeth and Krystal cackled. She linked her left arm with Amber's and remarked, "Alright, let's go then. I'm starving," 

 

"Are you sure?? Because there's no fancy food in convenience store," 

 

"Well...What they have there actually?" 

 

"A lot of food that must be heated in the microwave," 

 

"And?" 

 

"Everything that wrapped in plastic," 

 

Krystal looked at Amber, chuckling. 

"I will not resist if the food taste good," 

 

"And there's only small table and chairs if we're lucky there's no one there," 

 

"So there is two chairs?" 

 

"Uhm... maybe?" 

 

Krystal pulled Amber along as she motioned in faster pace, 

"Then let's wish that we're lucky no one there," 

 

 

 

 

 

***

"16,500 won" told the cashier as he inserted all the food packages into a plastic bag after counted them one by one. 

 

Krystal's mouth went agape when she noticed the numbers at the cash machine, disbelief. 

 

Amber handed the guy the notes as she took the plastic bag and thanked him for the change. 

"Alright, time to dig in," she said to Krystal, who still in surprise-state, acknowledged the price of all the food they have purchased. The tomboy led her to the back and pulled the chair out as she added, "We are very lucky because the seats are empty, Krys," 

 

"Yeah lucky, but in terms of money that you just spent, I don't think we're lucky," Krystal replied while removing the jacket and settled herself on the bar stool. "Let me pay you back when we're home," 

 

"Nah, you don't have too," Amber muttered and unwrapped the plastics of two instant ramen bowls. She teared every seasoning packets and put them all into the bowls then ended by pouring enough water before heated them in the microwave. 

While waiting for the main course, she used the time wisely by preparing another side dishes such as instant tteobokki with chicken sausages and American cheese, and also coffee milk. 

Krystal has been watching all the boyish's movements since then and studied everything, including the in and out of the fast food through the microwave until all of them finally being served on the table. 

"Here, your chopsticks," Amber offered as she sat down. She got herself another wooden chopsticks too and began to mix the noodle with all the ingredients. 

"Why don't you eat?" she asked, taking a mouthful of the food. 

 

"I'd never have ramen, tteobokki, sausages and cheese at once," Krystal said, checking the bowl closely. 

Amber finished her first munch before she answered, "This is world-wide trending food, Ms. Krystal. I have this regularly if I'm starving in the middle of the night,'

 

"I read somewhere that eating instant noodle regularly will make you die," Krystal held the edge of her long hair as she chopped down. Her eyes went big when her tongue had a taste of the mixed food. 

Shockingly, Krystal has been amused by the strong and creamy flavour. 

 

"This is... extremely delicious," she commented and continued to eat. Seeing the younger girl was too immersed in the eating, Amber grinned from ear to ear. 

"What do you think? Now is it worth to pay a lot for all of these?" 

 

Krystal just made an 'okay' sign since her interest at that time was all on the food. 

 

"I'm going to revisit this store," she exclaimed, copied Amber's style swirling the noodle with tteoboki and sausage. 

 

"Next time you should try their kimbap with lunchbox and the famous idol sandwiches," the short hair suggested. "I feel like I'm in heaven everytime I got here," 

"Everything just perfect," 

 

"My mother is very strict in diet so we usually eat everything home made and refuse to buy any processed food. I'm used to that since I'm a kid until 4 years ago I met Irene unnie. She is the person who introduced me to ramen," 

 

"Aa... yes-yes, Wendy had once told me that Irene is so into it," added Amber. 

 

"If you check their unit's drawers in kitchen, don't be surprise if you can't find any healthy food in there. Irene unnie always fill it with packages of instant noodle while Seulgi with her Pringles collection. Only Wendy is loyal with real cooking," told Krystal in detail. 

 

"Well... the perks as post-graduate students, I understand how hard it is to save money and time," Amber expressed as she finished her bowl already. Later, she grabbed a bottle of coffee milk and spinned it's cap carefully. 

"I must show respect to you and Wendy since you two are still consistent in healthy diet," she made a salute gesture and drank her favourite drink. 

 

Krystal finished the last sausage and shook her head, "I'm not a real practitioner of balanced diet when it comes to food actually. I believe my taste bud should touch every single thing in this world as long as the dish is clean and harmless," 

 

"I agree with that statement," replied Amber, chuckling. She spent a moment gazing at Krystal's pretty face when the latter's eyes still glued at the bowl. 

She didn't know why she was delighted to be a temporary listener rather than doing the speaking. In her point of view, Krystal has an interesting simplicity inside despite of her grand family background. 

Amber thought, maybe that's the reason for her to like Krystal more than anyone else. They both may came from different pattern of lives but somehow she can still tolerate with her. 

Or maybe because she's already fallen deep. 

 

"Amber," upon hearing her name being called out, she snapped back to the reality world. 

Raising her eyebrows, Amber questioned, "Huh? What?" 

 

"Let's try everything together. No matter if it is from convenience store, street or corridor, it must be cool as long as you're with me. Right?"  said Krystal, smiling. She crashed her coffee milk bottle with Amber's and furthered, "Will you?" 

 

Then, it was a short-pause moment between them. Until the older girl eventually knew what she should say as response.

 

Amber repeated Krystal's act, smiling back at her, 

"Such an honour for me if you want to, Krystal," 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____

In order to fight the writer's block, I keep taking notes on everything that popped out from my sluggish brain. Its crucial to write down important points as a writer so that the plot will keep going. I've figured out that if I spend more time delaying chapter by chapter, the chance of getting stuck is very high. 

I don't want to disappoint everyone, especially you, who's been faithfully waiting and following this story so I will work hard to complete it since I think its almost 2 years after I started this. 

I'm going to update regularly, and hoping I will able to finish it before I return back to countryside, a small village located very far away from town. Because once I'm back as plantation officer, probably I won't have so much time to write.

I'm still learning to improve my English, so I apologize to the limitless errors that you found in my fanfics. 

 

To all of you who reading this, no matter who you are and where you came from, I want to express my deepest gratitude for stopping by here and read my story. 

You guys are one of the reason I keep writing :)

Thank you, thank you and thank you! 

Next chapter probably coming soon faster than before! 

 

Love love,

YOUR RYAI.