บทที่ 18

My Past, Present & Future

 

Flashback- 10 years ago...

 

Mrs. Liu joined the mothers' in the kitchen, preparing the best dishes for Chinese New Year, and asked her daughters to come along but only Amber shook her head and refused. She said to her mother she will help her father and her uncles to decorate the living room.

The mother figure can't even say a word since the teenager already walked away, as fast as the speed of light.

 

"Where is she going?" asked the elder Liu, asking her daughter in-law.

 

"Her father needs her with the decoration thing, mama," replied Mrs. Liu.

 

"Girls should be in kitchen, not mixing up with the boys and I think because you keep letting her like that, she will become a real boy one day, not as your daughter but as your son,"

Mrs. Liu only able to flash a bitter smile.

 

"I'd send her to girls' school, mama. There she learns from the nuns 24 hours about her responsibilities and what she needs to be,"

 

"Hmm, and the outcome? Still like that, with those baggy clothes. Looking much like a beggar on the street," elder Liu the Grandma murmured while stirring the ginseng soup on the stove.

"Yiu Ha, your daughter is a girl, not a boy. Stop buying her boy clothes, stop treating her like a boy and make her dresses as woman-like. Having a grandkid in that style, I swear until my next life I will never give my bless,"

"Daughter in law, for God's sake, no one will ask your daughter for marriage and she will be single till old,"

 

"Mama," Mr. Liu's older sister, Jian Mei intruded the conversation with her firm tone, warning her own mother who was beyond outrageous.

 

"Amber is still a kid, she's immature and when she becomes adult one day, of course she will be a good woman like her mother here. I am right, Yiu Ha?

Mrs. Liu just curved a smile then, nodding.

 

While Elder Liu just hummed, still in her disapproval face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Key looked at her younger cousin and slightly tapped on her shoulder.

"Don't mind that old woman, she's senile, can't even remember what she had said, Ber,"

 

"Good thing she's senile, but I'm not. I swear I will remember the way she insulted me in front of my mother, until I die," replied Amber, unsatishfied.

 

"Whoa, don't hold grudge, Ber. Trust me, your grandma will be so glad to have you one day,"

 

"Pfftt! When??? Impossible..." commented Amber, while turning the rubix cube over and over.

"You know, one day I will be so far away from this narrow minded family. Somewhere else as long as that old-woman keep her distance from my life,"

 

Key chuckled then,

"What if join me at Dad's workplace? After school graduation?"

 

"Sure? There's vacancy in there???"

 

"Not really but I can tell him to take you in since you're good in Math. Helping our clerk would be useful for you,"

 

Amber's face brightened then.

"Finally, I can be out of here!"

 

The soft boy laughed, ruffling his cousin's messy hair playfully.

"Yeah, finally,"

 

Amber stopped playing with her favourite toy, continued, "You know, sometimes I don't get it. Why would people like us exist? If we are so that bad for being gay, why we're alive?

The half-masculine boy shifted his face to stare at the cousin's brown eyes. He took a few second to think and later replied with hesitation,

"I don't really know, Ber. Finding the reasons of our whys are the same as solving Frankstein's equations," replied Key, temporarily massing his temple.

 

Taking a glimpse on the latter's expression, she muttered,

"Until when you're going to declare war with Maths, Kibum? It doesn't even harm your life,"

 

The boy fought back,

"Yeah, it does. It harms my grades,"

 

Amber scoffed in annoyance afterwards. When the cube was fully completed, she rose from the stairs. Asking her gay-buddy to follow her lead as they both paced together to the living room.

"Come on, let's be useful for today. I'm not letting Grandma happily insulting me as who I am. For just one day, I'll pretend I'm fine. Not because of her, but in my own will,"

 

Tailing the tomboy, Key nodded aftwerwards, giving Amber a slight tap on her right shoulder.

 

"Sure you are,"

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Amber's POV

 

The door produced a crack sound when I made a gentle push from outside. I stepped into the space, noticing my weak and old Grandma was laying on her bed.

I was hesitated to stay since I'm not her favourite grandkid. Back then during my younger days, every time we had family gathering for new year, she always gave me her dislike look. Its been so many times too, I would locked myself in the washroom, when she was surrounded by my other cousins. They gave her hugs and kisses but I'd never did.

Although Key is my far relative, his family never missed to come and visit Grandma here in Boston, my uncle's house. That's why his presence during the night before Chinese New Year was very important.

I felt less alone when having him with me at that time.

 

"Who are you?" suddenly Grandma asked me, sounded low and hoarse. Her wrinkled forehead scrunched together as her face changed perplexed to see me.

 

I put the food container on the small drawer, glancing at her with my firm smile.

"Yiyun here, Grandma," I said, grabbing her right hand clasped it with mine. "I brought your favourite ginseng soup. Would you like to taste?"

 

"Yiyun, my youngest grandchild?" Grandma asked.

 

I let out a small chuckle and just nod my head.

 

She slowly rise her tiny body in sitting position then, eyes still staring at me. "What happened to you? I thought Yiu Ha just gave birth to you yesterday?"

 

"Yesterday?"

 

"Yes,"

 

 

I felt a sudden warmth inside and was touched as she said that.

 

Yesterday was my 26th birthday.

 

 

 

I moved myself closer to her, tighten my hand in her grip as I observed every inch of her face.

It seems Grandma's grey hairs turned pale and the wrinkles made her tiny eyes looks smaller than before. I caressed her head smoothly and voiced out in Mandarin, "Do you still remember this one girl who always had short hair like a boy?"

 

She just hummed at me.

 

"It is me, Yiyun. I'm that girl, Grandma. I've grown up," I said.

 

I can see the tears built up in her eyes as her hand reached for my jaw, "Oh finally... Finally you've come,"

 

I just let her touched my face, while I'm still listening to every word she uttered.

 

"I have 12 grandchildren, and only one of them appears, at the edge of my time like this..." she cried and kissed my cheek. "Only Yiyun comes, no one else,"

 

My chest felt like something had pressed it hard.

"Its okay, I'm here. I'll stay for today with you,"

 

Grandma suddenly shakes her head vigorously,

"No, its okay. Your Uncle Chan is here, right after his work, he will come and stay with me. You have school, Yiyun. I don't want you to be an idiot like me. I can't even read newspapers, I can't even count numbers. So, go back to your mother, ask her to send you to that boarding school,"

 

I only gave her my sad look as I remember her Dementia is killing every memory that she have. My Uncle Chan passed away last year and his loyal wife still taking care of Grandma like her own mother. Since they don't have kids, I think maybe Auntie is happy to have her in this big house. At least, she has someone after her husband's death.

 

 

I stayed with Grandma for few days, enjoying talking and listening to her although, sometimes it was hillarious to see she's being senile and started to say nonsense.

I kissed her wrinkled cheeks and hugged her tight as longer as I could on my last day in Uncle Chan's house. Her pale eyes which I saw for the last time was like telling me not to leave her.

 

That's when I promised I will come back to her again next time and I'm hoping to see her strong and healthy as she used to be.

 

 

 

 

 

***

(Listening to Summertime Love by Van Ness Wu)

 

Key shifted his left side, looking at Amber, flinching. The house is filled with massive crowd and he wondered if his cousin would change her mind and returned home in just a while.

"I bet ten dollars, if you could stay in there for more than an hour," he mumbled, stepping into the mansion as Amber tailed him closed. "This party ain't like your favourite wild 'meeting' before, Ber. Its just wildly exclusive,"

 

Amber let out a small chuckle then.

"That's why you forced me to dress like this?" she replied, referring to her perfect white-synchronization outfits from head to toe. "Alright, you bet is gladly approved so let's see how wildly exclusive your favourite summer party would look like,"

The queer man replied,

"Hah, get ready to be impressed young Liu. You better keep your head up since this place isn't the same like your boring party last summer. I was been invited by the owner of the house herself, so, I'm exceptional," Key lifted his collar, smirking. "You're lucky you're here, with me,"

 

"Yeah-yeah, thanks for dragging me, Queen Key," said the boyish, rolling her eyes annoyingly.

 

As their feet reached the main hall inside, she was amazed by the luxurious design of the house. For Amber, it was her first time in life, feeling like she's standing at the center of the age of wealthy destinies. Letting her eyes roamed around the classic space, Amber shoved her hands inside the pockets and secretly admiring her newly surroundings.

And when the waiter approached them with a tray, fulled with expensive champagnes, neither Key or his beloved cousin able to insist. A glass for each of them while enjoying the 'sight-seeing' already more than enough.

 

 

 

"By the way, where's your 'exclusive friend'? You said she's the owner of this place," asked Amber as she took a sip of the liquour.

 

Key suddenly clampled his hands together, giving Amber his shadiest diva look. "Oh my gosh! About her, the Jessica Jung, my exclusive friend slash my new favourite queer partner slash the only woman in South Korea who is the biggest competition for European fashionistas. Give me a moment," he slightly squeezed Amber's broad shoulder before stepping away to find for a woman as he mentioned. 

 

Jessica Jung? Isn't she is...

 

Amber furrowed her eyebrows, ensuring herself that, the name Key had slipped from his savage mouth is actually familiar somehow.

 

 

 

 

 

(Playing Dance to This by Troye Sivan)

 

The short-haired girl released a small sigh as she looked around. Nothing seems interesting for her so far. Besides, the majestic appearance of the luxury mansion, outside and inside, she only can see the people in the exclusive party are wearing top branded clothes and keeping their laughs from being heard.

She knows, that kind of party not really easy to fit in. Because back then, Amber used to go to some wild and edgy kind of summer party. With dozens of beers, not tray of champagnes, with plenty of food to fill the stomach, not a plate of fried zucchini and extra weird sauce.

When the old dark memories flashed back again and she felt too much pressure in mind, Amber searched for the balcony, hoping for some tranquility with fresh air.

 

Then, she's been greeted with a voice which sounded like a soft wind in her ears.

 

"You're really here, I thought Jessica was lying,"

 

 

Amber turned around and caught a figure of Krystal, the face which she's been missing for days. Hard to deny, Amber struggled to leave the latter with text since last time they saw each other, the farewell wasn't in good way. She really wanted to say 'hey' first but its like something is biting her tongue.

Hesitation became a reason for both Amber and Krystal to start a conversation at the moment.

 

Until, the diva Key came in between, laughing together with Jessica by his side.

 

"That's hilarious, I even had a bizarre dream that I could get a job at Chanel after I know you," said Key, laughing out loud while covering with his palm. "It was a dream and always be a dream I guess,"

 

Jessica smiled, "No, I can make it real. I have friends at the one of the department in the company, and if you're interested, the job will be yours,"

 

Key's eyes widen. He almost screamed almost on top of lungs, "Oh My Gucci! Are you serious????"

 

 

Amber ogled both her eyes annoyingly as she pretended she didnt hear or see anything when the brother cousin feat Jessica already joined Krystal and her at the balcony.

 

"Hey Amber, so nice to see you here," Jessica's face went bright when she saw the boyish. "Whoa, a real 360 degrees transformation look, must be Key's idea?"

 

As they shook hands together, Amber just nod her head slyly. "All was his idea,"

 

"So...." Jessica glanced at her sister before letting her eyes met Amber's again. "I don't know you have connection with Amber here, Key. You said you're the only child in a little family. Basically, you're pure Korean and as what my sister told me, Amber is Taiwanese,"

 

"Oh, don't misunderstand. My father has a cousin and that cousin married Amber's mother's cousin. Far far distance relatives but we're close since we're kids," explained Key. He elbowed Amber when there's really no reaction at all from the tomboy.

"Yeah, he's right. I'm stuck with him and there's nothing I could do," said Amber, lifting her eyebrows.

 

"You should tell me earlier, I'd almost believe that he is my sister's boyfriend," and finally Krystal's voice was heard. She stared straight at Amber's face, trying to get the older girl's attention.

 

"I wanted to invite you to come over to my house so I could introduce him, at the airport previously but the timing wasn't right. I'm afraid you'll go dynamite, Krys," Amber replied calmly, giving the younger also the same amount of deep stare. "But luckily, we're reunited here, at your beautiful house,"

And Krystal's lips slowly curving, feeling her heart fluttered with Amber's latest statement.

 

"Yeah, glad about that,"

 

 

 

Witnessing the spontaneous interaction between them, Key and Jessica glanced at each other, smiling as they knew, there's something going to happen next. The successful fashion designer cleared as she muttered, "I'm glad too, to see you're here Amber. Not a joke, your presence is very important to light up her ridiculous sulky mode. Thank you,"

 

Amber bowed, "Most welcome, Jessica-sshi,"

 

Key grinned playfully at his younger cousin, "Perfect, we'll get going. Now go into the conversation longer, I need to catch up with other VIPs," he told, signalling Jessica to leave the space with him directly.

In millisecond, they're vanished from Amber and Krystal's sights.

 

"You're really the Princess from not Wales, I take back my words on you," Amber chuckled, eyes' gazing at the pretty face.

 

"No, I'm not a princess, my sister is," Krystal denied, folding her arms, pursuing her lips. "Amber, honestly, this is my first time I see you comb your hair and dress like this. You're like the second copy of Troye Sivan or Ruby Rose, trendy and so in style,"

 

"Hoho, it is also your first time complimenting me,"

 

"Nah, its been so many times, its just didnt come out from my mouth,"

 

"Really?"

 

Krystal nodded like a kid.

 

"Me too,"

 

And the younger blushed.

 

 

"I'm hungry," Amber said, holding her flat tummy.

 

"Oh great! I'm starving!" Krystal shouted. She pulled Amber's right arm to her then, "Come, let's sneak into my mini kitchen,"

 

The tomboy carefully put the champagne glass on the edge of the balcony, asking back, "See, how rich you are, Krystal Jung. I do have a kitchen in my house, but only one. By the way, do you hire a chef? I would like to apply,"

 

"Aish, stop being an idiot. It is my room, I store my own snacks and food there that why it is my mini kitchen,"

 

 

"Ooooohhh," Amber wowed. 

 

 

 

Amber's POV

(Listening to 2002 by Anne Marie)

 

I suppose, this girl would be that kind of typical rich kid, living in highly cost mansion, in princess-like master room, hiring like hundred of servants and maids and has everything of human needs.

But Krystal, she ain't like that.

 

The moment I walked to her room, I noticed, she preferred to be casual and out-going in styling the space. The old photos of her child version are very adorable and she placed them all neatly on her study desk. She told me everything about her family members, except for her very own late-father.

Maybe, there's one day she'll let me know about him. Sooner, or later.

 

 

"Favourite actor and movie?" I asked, munching the potato chips.

Krystal gulped the soft drink as she replied, "I love Meryl Streep in Devil Wears Prada. It is the best movie to watch in weekend,"

 

"Oh..., well I like Leonardo Dicaprio. Do you know he was in the same movie with Johnny Depp? Eating Grape something..."

 

"It is 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape'," Krystal corrected me casually. "

I snapped my fingers at her then, nodding in agreement. "Okay, your turn,"

 

She put that tiny finger at her chin, seems to be taking time to think I guess. Then, she voiced out, "Favourite singer? Song?"

 

I munched again the chips before I answered her question confidently,

"Actually I don't really have favourite singer or song but recently I've attracted to Ariana Grande's and Troye Sivan's. They have amazing voices,"

 

Krystal gave me a surprise look, "Good one! Cause I'm in love with 'No Tears Left to Cry!"

 

"We strike again," I stated, smiling.

"I don't know what will you react if you know this, but meeting Ariana Grande is been included in my bucket list. I really want to get to her face to face, smooth talk, eating dinner together, walking side to side in a very beautiful and windy wheat field and probably dating her," I paused and continued,

"I'm sorry but I'm totally gay for her," I said, almost laughing.

 

I'm pretty sure her face suddenly glittered, like the shinest star in the sky as I heard she said, staring at me,

"If its me, would you still do all of those?"

 

Flabbergasted, it was obvious that I've shown her my perplex look.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Of course, of course I do. Why not?" keeping my face up, I restrained myself from being shy and shot back a question at her. "You? Would you do the same with me?"

 

In just a second, she stated honestly,

"I don't have any reason to say no. Am I?"

 

 

We both smiled, eyes staring at each other deeply before my brain cracked open and I had a thought, secretly inside my head,

 

Did I just asked her out and she said yes??

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________

 

Hello readers, subscribers, commentors and some more 'ors'. I'm sorry for taking so much time to update this chapter. I've been busy all day long.

I miss f(x) so much, and last night I had a dream that f(x) being 5 again and they kicked out world tour in bangkok.

Btw I went to Twice concert here, and I can't deny those girls actually are amazing!

I squeezed myself between other ONCE's and luckily got closer to see Nayeon and Jungyeon!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still excited until now because it was my first experience spending lot of money for concert. Their popularity isnt a joke.

As if us, as MEUs can gather together, chants and cheer for f(x). Make our own periwinkle ocean and it will definitely memorable for f(x) members and of course, us too.

 

Its okay, let's wait for another more time. I'm sure they'll be back, to us.

 

 

And who's excited for KryBer first date?