บทที่ 5

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Lost on You cover by LP) 

 

 

"We are sure by sending you there, you will change, baby. I dont like hearing people talking bad about you anymore. I want to prove to them that my little pumpkin here is very worthy to have," Mrs. Liu said while caressing smoothly the 16 years old Amber's short hair. 

Meanwhile, the daughter figure shut tight . She hid from the mother that she really hate that idea. 

Going to boarding school means she will be all set by the rules and own not so free- space. 

 

"I knew a teacher there, she was my old friend. She will guide you in everything. About costs and fees, we settled it down already, Amber. Your father used his allowance and half-mine. Don't worry, just study hard, okay?" 

 

"But mother, i dont like wearing skirt. I'm not comfortable," she voiced out in slow tone. 

 

The woman looked at her youngest child, thinking for what she should say next. Later, she calmly replied.

"You should give a try, Amber. You should learn what to do as girl. That school mostly trained their students with respectful manner and catholic tradition. The reason why we think its the best for you because we want you to be a real girl. Not 'wadup' or 'sup' like you always do greeting people. A girl that is good for parents and useful for community. That's what we hope from you, baby," 

 

Amber bowed low her head. As she understand what Mrs. Liu's wish for her, the teenager can't argue for more. Maybe inside its killing her but for the sake of her own future, she also hope the new place will bring something as result. 

 

On the first day registration, both Mr. and Mrs. Liu with her only older sister, Jackie accompanied her from the assemble in the main hall until moving into her dormitory. 

Mrs. Liu slapped Jackie's arm when she noticed the oldest child was laughing at Amber with full-uniform. She soothed Amber by saying she's looking all good and better than wearing oversized shirts like she's always had. 

Meanwhile, Mr. Liu didnt speak much but only ruffled his daughter's hair with a proud smile. 

 

The orientation week was done with sweat and tears. She struggled to fit in, to be a feminine girl ever in the world. Everytime she walked through the corridor or in the dining hall, some of the student will stared at her weirdly. Amber said in her head that she get used to be called as tomboy or dyke. Just because of her boy-cut hairstyle. 

Those eyes glaring at her didnt know her personally so there's nothing she should be concern about. 

 

Amber kept her pride for so long until one day, she incidentally passed by the old music room. 

She had found a girl playing the piano while singing beautifully. 

After so many trial asking some of her classmates, Amber finally knew the singing girl's name. 

Began from that day, she can't hold herself from taking the same path which directed toward the place. 

 

"What are you doing here, Amber???" the nun named Ms. Wilson greeted the boyish girl as she noticed the latter's is peeking on something. 

Shocked, Amber quickly distanced herself from the window. 

"Aaa, nothing. I was just concentrating to that voice. Did you listen?" 

 

The nurse slash the nun frowned at first before she copied Amber's action before. She peeked and abled to see a girl is playing the piano with all her heart. Plus, the harmonious voice also mesmerizing. 

 

"She's good in singing, the voice of angle," the nun complimented. 

 

"Right? I just know her name. A Korean girl, Bang Minah," Amber replied. "This past few days, I keep coming just to hear she singing," 

 

"That's quite persistent, Amber. I tell you, if once again you find a people like this, who can sing very well, just come and inform me directly, please. We need one more person for choir in church," 

 

"Oh, really? I will do that, I really will, Ms. Wilson," Amber thumbs up then. 

 

"So now, go to your class and leave it to me. Wondering around before the ring bell is not good, dear. I can punish you but since you've found for me this particular girl, I'll just pass," 

 

Amber nodded with her apologetic smile. 

 

 

 

 

The incident was the reason Amber couldnt stop thinking about the girl. Knowing she didnt have a chance to approach her personally, she tried out by asking her classmate, Hani. 

They were playing netball in the court when the boyish used the time to know more about Minah. 

 

"She's not fluent in English, you know. Everytime Ms. Wilson said something, she needs me to translate," told Hani, a girl with bang that covering her forehead. "Since I'm Korean, of course I can understand her," 

 

"Did she tell you... where she's staying now???" 

 

"Oh about that, she's living nearby, not far away our school. Her parents divorced last year and currently her aunt is taking care of her. You know the coffee shop beside Welton's??" 

 

"Yeah," Amber replied short. 

 

"Her aunt is the owner," 

 

"Wow," 

 

Hani passed Amber the ball she's holding and furthered, "Why you want to know about her?"

 

"Well, I dont have reason in particular. Just its strange to find her talent but know nothing about her ownself. As the founder, should I earn that credit?" 

 

Hani shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know, what if you go ask herself?" 

 

"I want to but I dont even have a chance to talk to her, you know. That's why I'm asking you, Hani," 

 

"Ooohh I see.." 

 

 

It was the outing day so Amber took courage to visit Minah's aunt place. She went there by taking bus and bringing along her favorite bag. 

She was welcomed by the barista, a tall guy with small eyes. At that moment, she'd already knew, he is Korean by just looking at the face. 

 

"One ice coffee, please," Amber ordered. 

 

"Okay, anything to add in? We're doing special promotion today. Ice coffee and waffle, just 3 dollars per set," the guy explained and ended with a smile. 

 

The girl thinks for a while before she replied spontaneously, 

"Alright, I'll take ice coffee with blueberry waffle then," 

 

Amber roamed her eyes around, checking either the girl's she's looking for is there. To kill some time, she took out a novel she borrowed from Hani and immersed into reading, sitting peacefully there without any sound.

In the calm atmosphere, suddenly the bell rang from the door caught her attention. 

Amber shifted her head and finally, the person she really want to meet came in. 

 

The smile curved without she realizing. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

Krystal POV

 

I woke up just to realize I'd have only 30 minutes for lecture and plus, I need to submit my thesis right on today.

 

Last night, after spending little time with the girls, I went straight back to the task I'm working on. Like putting clothes into the drawer, that's how I keep the incident in my mind.

That Dahyun was right.

 

I'd just need to erase the memory.

 

But another one came in this morning. I can't clearly classify either it was good or worst thing to remember.

 

Happened without me, expecting of course.

With the only boyish girl I'd ever known in this life.

That Amber.

A skinny girl who seems dont have any interest on me, like others do.

 

 

I was busy pouring the low-fat milk into the glass when she came into the kitchen with her untidy and messy hair. I tried to act cool and pretending she's not there so after biting a piece of toast I made, I sat down on the chair, shifting my eyes on the screen of my phone.

Her deep voice caught my ears which made me looked up to see her, standing right in front.

 

"What you say?" I asked.

 

She released a breath and grabbed the milk box then,

"I just bought this yesterday and now you finished it all. Don't you learn about taking other's stuff sometimes isn't allowed?"

 

I frowned," What? I can't have the things in my fridge? Are you for real?"

 

"Yes for real, you need to ask first, who is the owner of this milk before you have it," she told me, sound not satisfied.
"I need calcium too, not you only, Ms. Krystal,"

 

"This isn't a big deal. I'll buy you milk if you really that desperate to have," I said, half-annoyed.

 

"Small deal, for you, but for me, its such a big matter. Don't your mother or father teach you not take deliberately people stuff especially when you need to consider other's part too?"

 

I stared at her face, "Don't mention any father or mother when I'm around. You're not that good to condemn me,"

 

"Yeah, if you being considerate, I'll consider about that too,"

 

"The f*** you said, I don't really care," I snorted and turned away.  "Meeting you in this lovely morning ruined my mood. Who ask you to keep the milk in my fridge? Either you like it or not, all milk are mine. Nothing you can do, loser,"

 

I heard she scoffed afterward.

 

Before anything else I could say, her hand reached for my glass and take a big gulp of it, making me looking at her in disbelief. She drank half of the milk and wiped out ,giving it back to me.

 

"Now, its fair. I had half of it and you may happily finish the other half," she said casually before opening the fridge and grabbed for the green apple.

The tomboy glanced at me,

"Have a good day,"

 

And walked out from the kitchen not a moment after.

 

 

I was left there dumbfounded and devastated. I can't believe that childish act still can happen between us.

After the lecture with Mr. Lim ended, I drove to the groceries and purchased six boxes of milk.

I arranged all of them nicely in the fridge and wait for that Amber to return home.

 

As when her figure appeared at the kitchen, I smirked. I'm proudly said to her while showing the neat placement of the stuff I bought,

 

"Here, the precious milk that you really want, Ms. Amber,"

"I'll have only one, and the remain 5 boxes, you can take them all,"

 

I hoped to hear another 'mocking' or 'annoying statement' but she just looked at me for a second before curving a little smile.

Her expression was dull and looked gloomy.

She just muttered thank you and left the space after she got herself a glass of water.

 

 

That was the most strange encounter ever.

 

I don't know why,

 

 

I have the urge to ask her directly why she looked so sad and restless.

 

To know what exactly happen to her.

 

In the morning, she still looking fine though.

 

And even abled to annoy me.

 

 

But just now,

 

 

 

 

Why I dont like seeing that kind of expression on her face?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________

Double update for y'all.

 

I'm hella tired after this long day and so glad I can do an update.

 

Thanks for reading and please stay tune.

 

I want you guys to know something that you can't imagine about Amber's past.

 

Let's wait for next chapter, can we?