บทที่ 7

My Past, Present & Future

The ringing cellphone disturbed her deep sleep. Amber fought opening her eyes before grabbing the gadget, "Hello?"

 

"UNNIE! CLASS!!!" Dahyun yelled from the other line.

 

It took Amber a few second to fully awake. She glanced at the digital clock of the screen, before gasped in awe.

"Oh my God! Dahyun-ah, I'm late!!!"

 

"Yes you are!!!" the girl shouted again.

 

Not even pressing the hang up button, Amber rushed towards bathroom, leaving the call ongoing.

 

 

 

 

***

 

"So?" Kyulkyung asked her friend as she put away the phone from ears. The fair-skin just breathed in deep as response. "Like usual, she's going to be late for that class again,"

 

"Oh no, that's not good..." Kyulkyung complained. "Amber unnie should drop that subject. Its too early for a...uhm... a not self-awake girl like her, right?"

Dahyun sighed.

"Yeah, I don't see any point taking that class with that lecturer,"

Walking side by side towards the cafeteria, the coursemates continued their conversation.

 

"I agree. Ms. Kim isn't easy to be pleased. I've heard from Yuha unnie that she failed half of her students last year," added the Chinese girl.

 

"That's why I'd rather do an outdoor activity than indoor painting in Ms. Kim's course. You know, I love art, but that woman, is an exception," Dahyun said, spotted another familiar figure who's waving excitedly at them.

 

The duo finally joined Yebin at the table.

 

"So, did our unnie on time today?" the question from Yebin made both Dahyun and Kyulkyung changed expression. They shake off their heads at the same time.

 

"Oh no... She's in trouble," the small girl mumbled.

 

And the duo answered again together, "Oh she really is,"

 

 

 

***

 

Krystal gathered all the printed papers and compiled all together in a file. She ensured everything had been done perfectly, without missing anything, before taking a leave.

 

The ruckus from living room made the woman frowned. She have a look and captured the tomboy was putting on shoes hurriedly.

"I know, you are so damn late for class," she told in sarcastic way.

 

"Yes," Amber replied as she ignored the latter's existence and pulled the door. Not a moment after, her figure disappeared.

 

Krystal held a smile as she put on her heels and left the house as well. On the way down, she can still hear the drops of Amber's steps running the stairs. She glanced at her watch then.

She just need to submit her assignment on 9 am but the clock is showing 8.15 in the morning. So, she has more than half an hour.

 

"Arghh, when I'm early, there's nothing to do though..." Krystal murmured, walking straight to her car. Getting into the driver seat, she started the engine and let it be for a while, the way to warm it up.

As sure the car is ready, the pretty girl slowly drove out from the parking lot, planning to buy something first to eat on the street. 5 minutes later, she stopped by at the small cafe, which selling set of sandwich and a cup of coffee.

Krystal was marching back towards her car when she spotted Amber's skinny figure at the bus stop.

She immersed in thoughts for a moment before making her way to the place.

 

"When is your class?" she approached the boyish casually. Taking a quick glance over the face, Krystal can tell Amber is feeling uneasy and restless. Of course, since the time is killing her.

"8.30, " Amber replied short, can't stop checking over either the bus will appear or not.

 

Krystal stared at her housemate and asked, "Come with me, I'll drive you,"

 

"No, uhm.. the faculty is far away from yours. I'm afraid you might be late for class afterwards," Amber tried hard to stay calm as she said that. "Besides, I'm pretty sure the bus will come in just a few minutes,"

 

"I don't have class today. Just for thesis submission," Krystal replied. "You know, I'm not the type who easily give people for a ride but in this case, I think you shouldn't insist my help,"

"Wherever the faculty is, let me drive you,"

 

As looking at the younger girl's eyes, Amber comfirmed that Krystal is really meant to save her day.

The staring contest between them last on few seconds before the older girl surrendered,

 

 

"Okay,"

 

 

 

***

 

Minkyung read through the notice board, furrowing her eyebrows. The fact, she did not understand any of the words at all but still she wants to know what it is about. Her class just ended and she happened to passed the main board when the bright colour of the poster caught her attention.

She just know, something might be interesting in content and she's also desperate to know the whole meaning.

 

"Unnie, I think you don't need to be that close. You're almost kiss the glass," Yebin greeted her senior as she stepped beside her. "Oh, this is new one," her eyes glued on the notice board as well. 

"Are you interested on this?" Yebin asked as she read through the poster.

 

"Kang Yebin, I'm glad you're here," finally Minkyung realized the girl's existence. She brought her index finger and pointed directly at the poster, "Translate all the words to me please,"

 

The young girl, without any doubt began her transaltion,

 

"Dear girls in Alpha Campus, the mid-term break is coming soon and you still have no plan in mind? Don't worry. We are opening new members registrations for our annual expedition. Come and join us, experience yourself a great view of highest point in South Korea- Mount Hallasan in Jeju Island. We guarantee an extreme and magnificent adventure ahead of you if you're free to be counted in. Any inquiries and feedback you may need to contact, Ms. Wendy Shon at number 7654XXXX,"

Yebin stopped to see Minkyung's face,

"I don't think you might want to be one of them? Because obviously, this sort of adventure thing ain't suit your pretty... attitude?"

 

Minkyung scoffed, "I don't expect you to say that," she took out her cellphone and the camera before flashing it to the poster.

"I should really find this Wendy person as soon as possible," after snapping the photo, she began to walk further, not minding the younger girl beside her.

 

"Wait, unnie," Yebin intruded as she paced along, "You want to join them??? Its dangerous and, girls aren't suitable for that activity,"

 

Minkyung stopped and shifted her head to see Yebin's face then,

"You read it by yourself just now, Yebin. Its 'Dear girls in Alpha Campus,' not 'Dear boys in Alpha Campus'. So, it is definitely safe, " and she continued to walk.

 

"Come on, I'm bored of being all soft and gentle. I need real adventure and exciting things to do before we're kicking for finals,"

"Don't you remember what Amber-unnie said?"

 

"What? What she said??"

 

"Life is short and temporary. We have to search for meanings not only seeking for reasons and purposes. Life can be beautiful with plenty of wonders and happiness. Trying for new things will enhance our life experiences and deciding to remain as same as before will just waste your precious living," Minkyung explained, mimicking Amber's tone and expression. Yebin laughed at that.

 

"Dear Yebin, you don't have to be afraid to try new things. It is not wrong to do so because life means more than we know, and more than we need to be," still playing along, Minkyung continued to imitate Amber's way of talking until they both reached the exit door.

 

The tall girl paused her walk and her side, looking over at her lovely junior, "Like Amber-unnie said, if you seek for love, you'll find one and I'm so honor to quote and edit a bit of her sayings,"

"If you seek for adventure, let's find Ms. Wendy Shon," Minkyung finished with a bow, making Yebin laughed more.

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm so pleased that you gave me credit for that quote," out of nowhere, a deep and husky voice greeted them from the back, which made both of the girls jumped in surprise.

 

"Oh my god!" Yebin said in high tone, automatically changed her attention towards the latest figure.

And Minkyung almost choke in her own salliva.

 

"It seems you guys are talking about me," Amber chuckled, settling herself between them. She signalled to pace forward as she pulled the glass door. Taking further walks, the duo followed close her steps.

 

"No, not specifically. Minky unnie just imitate some of you famous quotes," said Yebin.

 

"Really?" Amber glanced at the taller girl which earned her a quick nod.

Minkyung said afterward, "Its about this exciting expedition I want to join in, unnie. Yebin said I'm not good enough, too soft to handle adventure and that's why I reminisced some of your best sayings, to convince her,"

 

Amber gave Minkyung her surprise look.

"Whoa, I don't expect that from you,"

 

"See? Even Amber unnie is not convinced enough with you," Yebin interrupted.

 

Minkyung groaned then.

 

"Unnie, you should be supportive!"

 

Amber chuckled and apologized. She tapped the girl's back before throwing her left arms around her shoulder. "Alright, which part I need to be supportive then? You tell me, Minkyung-sshi,"

 

"Actually, I will feel better if you want to join too! What do you say???" Minkyung suggested in her excited tone. "Unnie, you're not going back, right? What if we'll go together???"

 

Yebin and Amber exchanged looks.

 

"What???"

 

"You heard me. I think having you as my travel partner will be nice," she replied, linking her arms with Amber. "You're foreigner, and you need to see our country. Jeju Island is one of the best place in the world, for your information,"

 

"Errr... I... I... don't think..." Amber hesitated, shaking her head off.

 

"Minky unnie, incase you are not alert, Amber unnie is afraid of heights. She vomits after ride in amusement park last week," Yebin tried to remind. "Bringing her to the highest peak, of course, its not helping to make her happy as well,"

 

"What? Are you for real, unnie???" Minkyung asked in disbelief.

 

 

"Oh yes I do," Amber snorted. "Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not that tough to be mountain climber since I can't even reach more than 100 metres height from the sea,"

"I'm sorry,"

 

 

The tallest girl pouted,

 

"Finally, I know your weakness," she said, upset.

 

"So, what's your plan now, Kim Minkyung? I'll be back to my hometown, same as Kyung and Dubu and I'm pretty sure the rest of your group mates also going back,"

 

"Hurmmm, I need to think fast," Minkyung put her finger at her chin.

And at the end, she came up with an idea,

 

"I'll go ask Krystal unnie then. Who knows, maybe deep inside she might also love adventure, right?!"

 

Again, Amber and Yebin exchanged looks.

 

"I dare you to make her go with you and if you make it, I'll treat you lunch for a week," Yebin started a bet.

 

 

"Really? You really want to bet on this?"

 

 

"Yes, I'm serious,"

 

Minkyung flashed her famous beautiful smile then.

 

"Don't take back your words, small bean because," she paused and hugged Amber's side, "This unnie surely will become my hero,"

 

 

Stunned at the state, Amber felt strange as Minkyung gazed at her with meaningful stare.

 

"Your hero? Why?" she questioned with a frown.

 

And Kim Minkyung replied only with an evil smile.

 

 

(Listening to Coming Home Acoustic Version by Rita Ora & Sigma)

 

"Hey-hey, I'm cool okay?" Amber said as Minkyung tried to push her to the door. "I can ask on your behalf, I'm not afraid of her, okay?"

 

Minkyung's eyes getting tiny, staring close at the older's reaction. "No, you don't look cool right now, unnie. Just admit you're not dare to talk to her about this,"

 

Amber tried to defense herself, "Excuse me, girl. I can, of course. This just nothing, its just a piece of meat!" then she knocked the door. "Watch how adults have professional conversation," she said, glancing at Minkyung then.

 

Before she continue for another knock, the door opened and represented a girl with a sharp gaze and cold stare.

Amber swallowed her salliva.

 

"What are you doing in front of my door?" Krystal asked as she walked pass by the boyish, heading straight to the kitchen.

Minkyung lifted her eyebrows as Amber turned around to see her.

 

"I'm waiting for that adults conversation you said," she muttered, half-whispered.

 

Scoffing at the latter, Amber replied desperately,

"Alright, I'll do it,"

 

 

Although she's in hesitance, the handsome figure braved herself to approach Krystal, who've been rummaging through the drawers to find something to eat instantly.

 

"Uhm, hey Krystal,"

 

The pretty woman stopped what she's been doing and spinned her body around, just to see Amber standing awkwardly at the counter island.

"Yes?"

 

Like thousands loads inside , the short-hair battled to mutter things she needs to say. She can feel Minkyung is listening from the living room, and she hopes she will not disappoint the younger girl.

 

"W-well, uhm... Thanks, thanks for, for you know... driving me today," Amber began to speak. "I'd reached class a minute before my lecturer walks in and I'm grateful for that,"

"You saved my day,"

 

Krystal nodded,

"You're welcome," she continued to search and eventually found a packet of instant mushroom soup in the second drawer.

 

"You're hungry?" Amber asked.

 

The latter just hummed as response.

 

"I'll cook for you,"

 

That made Krystal spontaneously looked at her, raising her eyebrows. "Are you serious? I just need to add hot water to make mushroom soup. There's no 'cook',"

 

Releasing an awkward laugh, Amber stated, "Yes, you right,"

 

Putting her hands on her waist, Krystal eyed her curiously, "Are you trying to say something else? Because you're looking not less than a baboon lost its mind with that face,"

 

Minkyung's laugh from the other space made Amber breathed a sigh.

 

 

 

"Yeah actually there is something I need to ask you,"

 

"Amber, you don't need to be so polite," Krystal cut before the older manage to say further. "Be straight-forward please because I need to use my time to fix my assignment,"

 

"Uhm I'm not straight," Amber's automatic reply caused the long-hair to stare at her weirdly.

 

"WHAT?"

 

 

"O-oh no sorry, what I mean was..." Amber struggled in putting words,

 

"Are you interested in climbing?"

 

Again, Krystal stopped to see Amber's face.

 

 

"Don't misunderstood, I'm asking if you're interested to join... uhm, this club's expedition in Jeju,"

 

"What expedition?"

 

"Taking over Mountain Hallasan for this upcoming mid-term break. I thought maybe, uhm, it will be more, interesting if... uhm you... can join... us?"

 

"You want me to join you? For mountain climbing?"

 

Amber nodded vigorously and added,

"Trust me, it will be fun because I'm pretty sure, you're kind of adventurous girl,"

 

 

Krystal stared at Amber for a moment and the heater to boil water. Later, she shifted back and said, "Sounds promising,"

 

The tomboy's face lighten up.

 

"Correction, I'm not really into adventure. But since, you made it sound like a challenge, I'll bring it out," told Krystal.

 

 

"So, does that mean," Amber stared at her housemate, almost smiling, "You're in?"

 

 

 

"Mmm, probably yes?"

 

 

"Cool,"

 

 

All of sudden, Minkyung busted into the kitchen, screaming happily. She pulled Amber closed and hugged her tight, showing the amount of happiness she just earned.

 

"Thank you Amber-unnie!"

 

The eldest looked at each other then as Krystal frowned, "What she thanks you for?"

 

The happy girl already opened to reply but Amber was faster to close it with her palms,

 

"Ahh... because our plan to go together worked since you're in," and she put a fake yet bright smile on her face.

"We should thank you because you're willing to be part of the expedition," told Amber again, laughed out loud to cover up the real intention.

 

 

As the her flawless face scrunched for Amber's sudden strange behaviour, she shrugged,

 

"Whatever you folks,"

At the end, Krystal left the kitchen as she finished prepared for the mushroom soup.

 

 

Minkyung released Amber's palms from her lips,

"Unnie, did you say you're going too?"

 

Amber weakly nodded her head.

 

"You can just tell her straight, why gave a trick like that???"

 

"No... I didnt trick her, Minkyung-sshi. I've just... think... perhaps, I could join to have some fun,"

 

"Fun? Amber-unnie, you're afraid of heights! You could get yourself killed!"

 

"Oh come on, no one died of their fears,"

 

"Sometimes, they did!"

 

Amber released a calm breath, holding both of the younger's shoulder as she stared at those round eyes,

"Its okay. Just assume that I'm trying to overcome my fear. I'll have you and Krystal throughout the trip, so what's the deal?"

 

"The deal is, you're going because Krystal-unnie is going. Right?"

 

"Yes. Is that wrong to do so?"

 

"No, I sense something is going on between you guys," Minkyung claimed.

 

Amber's expression changed as she heard of that.

 

 

 

 

"You're so afraid of her, I know it,"

 

 

 

She sighed in relief as Minkyung's statement came out.

 

"Alright, whatever you say, Minky,"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***