บทที่ 24

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Fools by Madison Beer) 

 

Krystal gripped hard Amber's wrist, not because she's afraid of the sudden dark, but was frustrated at the bad timing of current blackout. She hissed mentally as she followed the boyish's lead on searching the other girls. 

 

"Wendy-sshi, what happened?" she heard Amber's deep voice asked the night's host. Since they're using the flashlight from each other's phone, Krystal couldn't able to see clear any faces that passed by them. 

 

Then Wendy's voice replied, 

"I don't know! The senior who's in charge for technical is on his way to powerhouse," 

 

"Many people are leaving now," Amber added. 

 

"Jeez... " Wendy whined, "I didn't expect this! It has completely ruined the joy though!" 

 

Suddenly another voice interrupted them, 

"The representative from student council posted a status about this. Here, read it," the girl named Irene showed to Wendy and Amber the screen of her cellphone. 

Krystal tilted her body to Amber's side, joining them to read the short-notice from Kim Nam Joon, the president of student council of the campus. 

 

"The inner conflict has become the reason we'll be dancing in the dark. Can't hide my disappointment to those who envy our celebration night. Let's come out tomorrow, let's make our voices heard," 

 

Wendy read it loud enough for each of them to hear. She shifted her eyes to Amber then Irene, sighing. "I thought we had make it comes to end, unnie. Looks like the narrowed minded people are still overpowering us though," 

 

"That's mean?" Krystal questioned. 

 

"Someone doesn't like tonight to happen, Krystal-ah. We had confronted a few of them before and convinced them to give us the same opportunity in organizing this kind of event. Unfortunately, the authorities still on their side, probably, " Wendy tried to explain. She banged her head slowly at the wall, scrolling through her phones, 

"I really thought tonight will be the most memorable event of the year..." 

 

Irene tapped Wendy's head, soothing her. "It's okay, we did our best already," 

 

"Yeah, you guys are the best," Amber said, smiling although nobody can see her smile. "Cheer up, Wendy. It's not your fault, and not even our problem if the haters are so unsatisfied, right? So... don't worry, what you guys have done actually the best achievement for the community so far," 

 

"Thank you, Amber-sshi," Irene muttered back. She looked at Krystal afterwards, "Soo Jung- ah, are you okay?" 

 

"I'm fine, just a little bit tired of the school drama," she replied sarcastically making them chuckled together. "What's wrong with them by the way??? Afraid their species will go endangered because of us???" 

 

Wendy stared at her friend for a while, almost asking why she just used 'us' in the sentence but then changed her intention. 

"Yeah, we're dealing with that species,right now, Krystal. Can't say much, or we're going to live in the dark for the whole semester," 

 

"Mean, huh?" Krystal commented again, earned a slight nod from Wendy. 

 

"So... what should we do now?" Irene raised a question as she glimpsed at her watch. "It almost 10 and we didn't even have the winner for the King and Queen of the night," 

"Seung Wan, if they ask you who win, what you gonna say? I'm sure tomorrow so many people will run to you and wanting to know who have the crowns,"

As she listened to the oldest girl, Wendy breathed in deep and released a sigh, blinking her eyes in the lightless atmosphere.  

"Aigoo, my head hurts..." she facepalmed herself, banging her head on the wall again. "I don't know, just to think about it, I'm hella sick," 

 

However, when she caught the faces of Amber and Krystal at the same time, an idea popped out from her genius brain. She pointed the flashlight directly on them, spent time studying the two from head to toe. 

"Unnie, we both can't have the crowns since we're not eligible as candidate but if Amber and Krystal... they can," 

 

"Ooh?" Irene expressed her confusion immediately. "Why we can't???" 

 

"Because we are the judges, remember?" Wendy reminded. 

 

Then, it was Irene's turn to facepalm herself. She tapped the Canadian's shoulder repeatedly before saying, "Yes! You were right!" 

 

"Okay," Wendy passed her phone to Irene, "Please hold it for me, I'm going to take the crowns," she rummaged through the paperbag she's been holding. 

 

"Amber, the Romeo, with plenty of honour from me and Irene-unnie, we declare you're the King of the Night," she placed the golden crown on both of her palms and showed it to her. "Please take this," 

 

"I-- I don't think... I'm--," Amber tried to insist but stopped by Irene, "Just take it, Amber-sshi. You're going to enlighten the burden on our right shoulders," 

 

 

 

"......alright..." the boyish left with no choice but to grab the symbolic item, and thanked both Wendy and Irene for the appreciation. 

 

"And the Queen of the Night," Wendy moved to Krystal, "Surely you're the best candidate we have for now, Soo Jung," and put the silver crown on the pretty's head. 

Same as Amber, Krystal was hesitated as well to receive the title but she thought if that can make her best friends's burden go away, then she has to take it, even she's not really comfortable.

 

Irene clapped happily, 

"Finally! Congratulations to both of you!" 

 

 

 

***

 

Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as she noticed weird stares from every student who passed by, wondering is she wearing the wrong side of clothes or what. 

"Don't mind them," asked Krystal, who has been her company for the lunch time, walking casually like nothing happen. 

 

"W-wait, I don't get it," Seulgi said, stopping Krystal as she blocked her from furthering the walk. "They are... looking at us? Or is it just only you...? Or me???" 

 

"At me, not you," Krystal told, glancing at her best friend with calm-look. 

 

"O-oh? Why?" 

 

"Because your friends gave me the wrong crown," 

 

Finally Seulgi understand, so she sighed long. 

"Aish... This people..." she began to step and made Krystal followed her close as they headed together to the cafeteria. "What's wrong with that by the way??? You deserve it, Krystal," 

 

"Not quite actually if the whole campus knew who I really am. The bad they said" Krystal replied and released a stressful sigh. "I can't be like my sister although she was a magnificent figure once, Seulgi. I hate it, the attention but since your dear friend Wendy has pleaded me to be the Queen of the Night, they thought I'm trying to defeat her but eventually I can't," 

 

"Defeat? That's unlogical," Seulgi added, "Why? Because Jessica-unnie never wins the title but you did?" 

 

Krystal nodded in agreement then. "Yes I'm a , so what? They hate me because I'm not that type of social person, like Sica-unnie and duh- when they knew I got the title they went crazy, saying I'm not suitable and didn't deserve it," 

 

"What a weird world we're living in..." Seulgi flinched in disappointment. "Then, what about Amber-nim?" 

 

"Of course... she's receiving the worst blacklash ever than me," Krystal's voice turned smoother than before. 

 

"Those dim-witted people must be crazy wondering why she is the King of Night, right?" Seulgi guessed and earned another nod from the friend. 

 

"Hahhh, I'm so sorry for what happened to both of you, Krystal..." suddenly Seulgi apologized, "My group are the mastermind of the Spring Ball so we should take the blame," 

 

"No... It's not that," the pretty woman denied instantly, "Yeah the outcome from the event was horrible, but... I did enjoy it, so much," 

 

Seulgi gave Krystal a meaningful stare then, 

"Wait... Let me guess, is it related to the King?" 

 

"Well... not much," Krystal answered, avoided the question as she settled herself at the table near the window. The latter smiled along as she followed her friend's action. 

 

"You like her, right?" Seulgi asked in her honest tone. 

 

"I am that obvious to you?" 

 

Seulgi grinned as she nodded vigorously before reaching out Krystal's right hand and clamped their hands together, "I will be happy if you two are together, Soo-Jung-ah. She's very nice, you're not going to meet another person like that King, you know? Just once in your lifetime, I can feel it," 

 

"You're being excessive," Krystal tried to avoid the topic. 

 

"No," Seulgi protested. " I lost Moonbyul unnie last time, Krystal. Her will was wanted me to understand what she felt, what she's been through but none of it happened, when she was still breathing," 

Krystal stayed in silence as she heard Seulgi's sad tone. She gripped back the latter's hand, saying firmly, "Even the world collides, I'm not going to do the same as she did, Kang Seulgi. And thank you, for trying to understand me, and my feelings," 

 

"Sure welcome, my friend," Seulgi smiled. 

 

They stopped the conversation for a moment when Irene and Wendy joined the table. 

 

"What you guys been talking about?" the eldest asked casually as she sat down. 

 

"Let me guess, still the breaking news of Yugyeom and the boys spilled a bail of water on Amber's head?" Wendy said, and made Krystal's expression totally changed. 

"He did what???" 

 

"So... you... both dont know yet?" Wendy glanced at both of her friends. 

 

Seulgi and Krystal automatically shook their heads. 

 

"Aish... I know Seulgi is slow but you, Krys? Seriously? That bad Yugyeom threw a ton of water from the stairs right when Amber was walking out from her class. She was drowned wet," 

 

"Holly ," Krystal cursed. "He really likes water," 

 

"Sure he does and that's not even funny if he wants to bully people that way though," Wendy replied, shrugging her shoulders. "Amber unnie must be so upset," 

 

Krystal sanked in silence for a moment as she let Wendy, Seulgi and Irene involved in their afternoon conversation. 

 

If I get a warrant to kill people, that Yugyeom must be the first in my list. Krystal monologued. 

 

"Krys, give this to Amber please. I know she's not in her best condition, but... sweet things always help people to feel better," Irene said as she handed a pack of chocolate bar to the stone-cold woman. 

 

"Why don't you give it yourself?" Krystal asked. 

 

"Because you are sharing the same unit? Or more precisely it will give you a chance to meet her in personal?" Wendy interrupted, smirking. 

 

Irene and Seulgi tried to contain their laugh as Krystal's face turned flat. 

 

"Haish you don't even know how hard it is to knock on someone's door, especially if you already know that person is not in her right mind," 

 

"Well, you are the best person to comfort her, I suppose? You guys like... how long? Almost a year living in the same unit?" Wendy munched her tuna-mayo sandwich as she offered to Irene but the girl refused due to her strict diet. 

"How long we've been living in the same roof doesn't mean I can get control of her, okay? Amber is... different," 

 

"Hah!" then it was Seulgi's turn to interrupt, "Now you admit you like her, finally!"

 

"No! I said she's different from normal girls, like us!" Krystal tried to deny. 

 

"To put it specifically, yes, based on her appearance, she might be a little bit different," Wendy said then added with a calm tone, "But Amber unnie is still a normal person, inside here, she has feeling, similar like us too," she put her right palm on her left chest. 

Krystal only able to stare at her same age bestie, before she released a sigh. "Yeah, can't argue more about that..." 

 

Seulgi clapped, "Finally again!" 

 

"Soo Jung ah," Irene's voice turned soft as she made eye contact with the latter, "You can't deny feelings no matter how much you put effort to get rid of them, okay? If it is there, then, deal. You have it," 

 

"I agree to agree," Wendy supported her sister-like's opinion. "She's a wise person, Krys. You're not gonna meet other significant others like her after this," 

 

"Believe me, I've tried to say for so many times but it never worked," Krystal scoffed, scooping the mango pudding and inserted into her pouted mouth. 

 

"You confessed?" Wendy raised an eyebrow. 

 

"Almost," Krystal replied and made the trio sighed in sync. 

"But Amber has confessed before," 

 

This time, the 3 pairs of eyes widen in surprise. They looked at each other before Wendy spoke, 

"Does she said... she likes you... that way?" 

 

"No," Krystal muttered. 

"She doesn't like me but she loves me," 

 

Seulgi's jaw dropped, Irene's eyes almost as big as Seulgi's mouth while Wendy, she was the only girl who smiled in the most satisfying way. 

She snapped her fingers right in front of Krystal's face, 

"That's a great development of our beloved Amber," 

 

"What is this, is she still your subject of experiment?" Krystal questioned, finishing the dessert. 

 

"No, she is never our experiment, Krys. Amber unnie just the best person to represent any unique girl in our living world. Thanks to her, we got adequate grades for the killer paper," Wendy explained and drank the liquid from the orange juice box. 

 

"Whoa now you're admiring her more than anything else," Krystal said in English. 

 

"Why? Jealous already?" Wendy teased. 

Then Krystal shot a glare to shut the Canadian girl from saying anything more. 

 

"Huff, we're talking about Amber like we're talking about some cute boy," Krystal commented. 

 

"She's cute enough for me," Seulgi muttered and grinned. 

 

"And quite attractive in my eyes too," Wendy added, intentionally lifted her eyebrows at Krystal again. 

Irene laughed before she gave a slight tap on Krystal's right hand, "Come on, Soo Jung ah, go be with her, please? Last night when I saw you guys talking, I can feel it deep down that you both clicked. In 4 years of our friendship lifespan, that was my first time seeing you smiled willingly," 

 

"Jeez! That's greasy, unnie!" 

 

"No it's not! I'm telling the truth!" 

 

"Can you stop laughing now?" 

 

Irene shook her head vigorously and kept laughing. 

 

Krystal tried hard to keep herself from smiling but at the end she burst into laughter, as she knew inside she can't argue for what Irene has just said. 

 

"We will never stop until you admit you like her, Krys," Seulgi teased. 

 

"I have said it before Kang Seulgi!" told Krystal. 

 

"O-oh? When?" 

 

Irene continued her laughs as she looked at Seulgi's blurred and innocent face. 

 

"Yah-yah, when did you admit it??" 

 

"Haish forget it, SlowGi, just finish your food," Wendy stated, as she exchanged her dissapointed look with Krystal. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________

 

I dedicated this chapter to my friend, Aimi who is fighting with her illness recently. 

We knew each other through Asian Fanfic as she gave out her hands first to be friend with me. 

 

Aimi, you're strong and trust me your strength going to heal you faster than those medicines. I pray everyday for you my friend, and don't be sad because you're not alone in this world. 

 

Thanks to her too because as I listened to her sad love story and it is somehow inspired me to write this fanfic. 

Get well soon Aimi! 

 

p/s: She is a huge fan of Red Velvet and has been talking how much excited she was to see Irene and Seulgi up close during the group's visit to Malaysia. 

So, I'm going to make her happy by putting more Red Velvet's appearance in this story. 

 

Thanks for reading everyone! 

 

Love love, 

RYAI