บทที่ 2

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to I Choose to Love You by Hyorin)

 

 

Dear diary, today is my first day as freshman in South Korea. I sent father and mother my selfie photo and they said I look so skinny and should gain some weight. I dont think so though. Because here in this country, my size is considered average. I'm not really tall but standing good enough as one of the 'tallest' figure among the other freshmen.

I've got a roommate, named Dahyun. Her skin is very fair and she is the type who smile a lot. I'm glad she didnt think me as a stranger and even addressed me as the older sister. We had simple lunch together and I was surprised to see that small girl has a great appetite. When I asked her is she hungry and she replied she always.

 

Amber stopped her writing as she incidently eavesdropping a conversation from the living room.

 

 

"She really look like a boy," Dahyun said, mouth fulled with chips. "Her voice is deep and so so husky,"

 

"Yeah I know. I knew from Minkyung unnie that she's actually a tomboy," Yebin added, joining her former school-mate eating the snacks.

"Is she friendly?"

 

Dahyun just nod.

"At first, all I can see was her white smiles. But when she clarified to me that she's introverted person, a little, didnt like to expose skin, well we can say conservative type one and she wears boys outfits because it is more comfortable than a skirt, then I think, she's a bit weird,"

 

"Never wear skirts? Aigoo yes that's weird," Yebin said. "Girls and skirts inseparable,"

 

"Yup, that's why I think she's not a normal girl like us," the tofu skin chewed and continued, "However, she's nice to me. Its just her boyish side sometimes made me wonder either to change clothes in the room or not,"

 

"Yah, you made it sound like she's a ert,"

 

"No... Its just an assumption,"

 

"Kim Dahyun, she's older than us. Show respect,"

 

"Of course I am!"

 

 

 

Her heart get heavy afterward. Taking earphones from the bag, Amber put them on and decided to forget whatever she just heard from Dahyun and Yebin.

 

 

 

If this place is destined to be my tranquility, and to be the main reason so I can erase anything that happen in my past, I hope, it will happen soon. I'm done with escaping, running away from reality that hurts long time ago.

I can't push away new people whom currently getting alongside,  like what I did to those 'past people' that had been the pain for me to keep living.

I was hurt and I've also hurt someone. This is not the end of anything yet. I've got chances shining brightly in this path and although I will be hurted again, I wish, I am strong enough to walk through it.

 

So, hello to the brand new chapter of my life and farewell to the awful memories.

 

Like Korean people always say to cheer up,

Now I will say to myself,

 

Amber, fighting!

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

A long hair girl, in her denim suit stepped through the hallway, trying to distract herself from the massive attention. For the whole life previously, she's used to be the main attraction. Wherever she goes and whatever she does. But that moment, she figured out that being 'the eye of everything' sometimes is pretty annoying. Plus, the crowd know who is she.

The younger sister of college's fashionista, Jessica.

 

She wished, she can be invisible even just for a while. Or mostly impossible, she wished she's not born sharing the same blood with her older sister.

 

 

"I can't believe it! You're real!" a tall boy yelled as a bunch of boy group made their way to her. "Look who's here gentlemen, its Jessica Jung part two!" the atmosphere getting worse after all she cant hear was the cheers and laughs from the troublemakers.

She sighed, rolling her eyes in devastated.

 

"Hello everyone, thanks for 'recognizing me' anyway. But to be honest, I dont want to waste my precious time with a group of useless boys," she sternly said, facing the tall figures.

 

They booed histerically then.

 

"Whoaaa... its really like Jessica!" the same boy yelled again. "Little Jung, we're seniors okay? I demand some respect please?"

 

"Show me first your respect," she replied, crossing her arms. "I'm reaching 24 years old this year, well precisely on this upcoming 24th October. Incase, you guys wondering if I'm still categorized as junior for you, you're so f***king wrong,"

 

The statement built a sudden intense to the air. All the sarcastic smiles and grins from the group had been swept away as they saw the girl's cold stare.

A very cold stare that perhaps sharp enough to kill their souls.

 

"And correction, my name is Krystal. In Korean, my parents call me Soo Jung. And yes, Jessica is my older sister but we're not that close even though we're siblings. So, f*** you, I'm not the part two," 

She stared straight into the boy's eyes, releasing a sarcastic sigh.

 

"Please dont mind my harsh words because I was raised in San Fransisco, not here in Seoul. The f*** words is our favourite rhyme and if you still have guts to ask for respect, I suggest you should reflect yourself first, got it?"

 

Before she left, she turned her body around and faced the boy once again.

 

 

"And I'm officially a Master Degree student, yesterday. Major in English. You can come to me and ask a few questions after this but with condition, you should know which level you are,"

 

"So goodbye for now, Second Year of Degree Student, Kim Yugyeom,"

 

 

Like a very arrogant Regina George in Mean Girls, Krystal walked away, with a playful smirk in her face.

 

Satisfied enough to bring down the troublemaker who infamous with his unlimited sarcasm and stupid jokes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Amber, the only girl with boy-cut style in the hallroom peacefully sitting at the back of the rows. She's been there for almost 15 minutes but not a sight of nose or even the shadow of the lecturer came to her view.

Looking around the space, she spotted a familiar figure from the back. A girl with pony-tail style who is busily scrolling through the screen of her cell phone.

 

So it seems that, we are from the same course. That's quite interesting.

Amber thought.

 

Later, not a minute, the lecturer or commonly known as Madam Hwang entered, wearing a full- skirt set, walking hurriedly like she's going to miss something.

 

"As clear as I can see right now, the attendance is lacking, isn't it?" Tiffany Hwang, 35 years old woman, 3 years of lecturing experience stared at the empty seats in front of her.

No one bother to answer and the lecturer started to count the total number of students that attended.

 

"Just 25 students for this semester hmm?" she hummed, checking through the paper from the file. "Its okay, I think it will be more easier for me to handle everyone at once. Besides, it was so tough last semester, to deal with your reckless seniors. There's argument, here and there, there's a mess, the boyfriend felt so awkward to be in the same group with his gilrfriend and over and over," Tiffany fake a sigh which made Amber smiled.

"So, I beg you all to simplify my work by doing your tasks without any further objection and chaotic,"

"And dont copy to your seniors and if I find out, you will be expelled from this collegue,"

"Understand, everyone?"

 

The students just nod, part of them didnt really understand what the woman just said, because it is fluently in American English. Part of them too, really received the information very well, including the tomboy who is begin to feel excited at the same time.

 

"You, at the back, would you please move forward? I dont like to see any student in there," the lecturer asked, referred to Amber's seat.

All the eyes shifted toward the back as she grabbed her notebook and carried along the bag, tranferring to the front row like what the woman wanted.

 

"I'm sorry, Madam. I just think its good to be up there," Amber apologized. "I can see everyone clearly,"

 

Tiffany put a serious look then,
"Why you need to see everyone? You just need to focus on my lecture, dear. These bunch of people can't give you the lecture that I'm going to give, I am right?"

 

Sighing a smile, Amber nod. "Sure you are, Mam',"

 

"Your English, I can say you have the same accent as mine. What's your name and where's you from?" Tiffany questioned in casual tone.

 

"I'm Amber Liu. I'm from Los Angeles, California. So to put it easy, I'm not Korean and I came here to study English Literature," Amber replied formally.

 

"I see," Tiffany muttered. "Look like we're from the same neighbourhood huh? I'm from LA too,"

 

"You are?"

 

"Oh, yes I am. Moved to South Korea permanently after I got job as lecturer here,"

 

"Its very nice to know that, Mam',"

 

The conversation only involved those two but the remain students still in silence, watching and listening to the rapid talking of Amber and the lecturer.

Yebin frowned as she remembered that, the tomboy is actually her housemate. They shared an apartment, a small kitchen and a laundry room together. But the latter shared a room with her school-mate Dahyun while she is sharing with a foreigner student, Jieqeong or Kyulkyung.

The other room is own individually, by Krystal Jung. She paid double for that space and made Yebin wondered why she is so greedy.

 

 

 

 

 

"Amber unnie!" Yebin shouted when the class ended and everyone is leaving their seats. The entrance was crowded and she waits for the person to aware her existence.

She paced quickly then, reaching Amber at last.

"Unnie, uhm, hi my name is Yebin, Kang Yebin. Dahyun your roommate is my high school friend. She talked about you before and I'm so surprised to see you here," she extended her hand with a bright smile.

 

Amber was amazed by the younger's fluency in English. She took the hands gladly, returning the same smile as well.

"Hi Yebin, I'm Amber. I'm surprised too knowing we're actually course-mates. Your English is very good,"

 

"Well, English is my interest from elementary school. I went to language academy and graduated last year. You know, its a relief that finally I found someone who can be my company to the classes. Thanks for registered the course,"

 

Amber chuckled, watching Yebin acting cutely.

 

"I dont see why not because we might be assigned in a group so I'm looking forward about that,"

 

The short girl's face turned extra shiny as she realized Amber's calm side.

"Omo, you're so cool! Dahyun was right! She said you're always macho in everything,"

 

"Dahyun said that? Really?"

 

"Yes yes,"

 

 

Amber can't help but to smile wide at the latter.

 

They decided to have lunch together before the second class for that day start at 2 o'clock in the evening.

Walking side to side, the older girl just chuckled seeing Yebin the talkative continuosly dragged about how excited she is to be officially a university student.

She only stopped as they almost reached the washroom.

 

"Unnie, get inside with me? I'm afraid with new surroundings," Yebin asked.

 

"I thought Gwacheon kid always brave," Amber replied.

 

But when she saw the girl pouted long, she can't insist anymore.

 

 

"Give me 5 minutes, my gall bladder going to blow, seriously," Yebin gave Amber her bag and the stuff as she rushed over to the cubicle.

The boyish was left alone with the girl's belongings and when she realized her face quite oily through the mirror, Amber put aside everything and twisted the water pipe to cleanse.

 

 

 

"I really thought you've got into the wrong section," out of nowhere, one voice greeted her.

Amber put off the pipe and managed catch the owner of the voice from the reflection of the mirror.

That's a moment when their eyes met.

 

 

For no reason, Amber feels weird all of sudden, looking straight into her cold stare.

 

 

"Perhaps you saying, you just mistaken me as guy?" she broke the awkward moment, wiping her wet hands with her own t-shirt.

 

The long haired girl pursed her lips,

"Hmm, a boy who mistakenly entered ladies or 'perhaps' coming here for bad attention. 'Perhaps' to stalk someone,"

 

 

"That's not good to say, Ms. Jung,"

 

 

"I prefer you call me Krystal,"

 

 

 

"Yeah, Ms. Krystal," Amber added as she gathered back all Yebin's stuff with her. "I forgive you for your misunderstanding but to my defense even if I am real guy here, I will choose not to stalk people in this public place, where there's CCTV around,"

Amber signalled with her eyes toward the ceiling which made Krystal turned around. Once she spotted it, Krystal just awed in sarcastic way.

 

"You have good eyes and good point. And when did I apologize to you?"

 

"Perhaps you did, Ms. Krystal," Amber said directly.

 

They shifted their attention toward Yebin as the latter stepped from the cubicle, fixing her belt. Once she caught them both, Yebin froze.

 

 

"You must be her girlfriend, right?" Krystal tried to guess, referring to the youngest. She made the situation even more awkward. 

 

Amber found the girl deliberately to annoy her and she decided there's no use of spending time there any longer.

 

 

"Ms. Krystal, its your fault for not recognizing your housemates. We had gathering last night and incase you want to know. We're introduced to each other quite well while you're drooling inside your room,"

"She's Yebin, I'm Amber. We are both taking English course. Indeed, yes we are girl friends and sorry for not tagging you along,"

 

Amber gave a sarcastic smile then.

 

"You're too overreacting for the first day, Ms. Krystal. If you say you're older and you're free to say anything you want, perhaps, you're wrong,"

"Sorry my boyish look invaded your thought but the truth is, I dont really care about what you think of me,"

 

 

Krystal was a bit surprise of how brave Amber to say that to her.

 

 

She didnt know who I am?

 

Or she pretend not to know???

 

 

"This style dont kill people, Ms. Krystal but words can cut deeper than the knives," the tomboy stated and turned to Yebin as she passed the heavy bag.

 

 

"See you later, in our apartment," Amber bid a goodbye and furthered for last, "If you want to,"

And she curved a smile.

 

 

 

Krystal was dumbfounded by the unexpected reactions that the latter gave in purpose. Not knowing why,  she felt something new.

 

That boyish figure happened to be the  first person who managed to shut her down.

 

Never did before, Krystal felt she lose to someone. Even with her own sister.

 

And more surprisingly, Amber did it in gentle way.

 

Krystal didnt see any hatred through the boyish's eyes even though she had been as sarcastic as she can.

 

 

 

She is really peculiar weird girl alive...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________

Hello everyone *bowing for the grace*

 

Since my previous fic went incredibly well, I think I will start again, as a gift for everyone.

 

I know, we all missing f(x) and would love to see f(4) again but I have strong gut that maybe they will come up with something new next year.

Just dont give up everyone^^

 

This story will be focusing about life, friendship, how hard to be different and unique and last but not least, of course, love will be included as well.

 

I have few things more to share.

I believe although my writing is not an official publishment, I'm sure this story will be one of the best meaning in my life.

I write to express and to inspire.

I didnt mind if some of you plagiarized this but to be honest I'm totally fine with it. :)

 

The value of love or life is more than writing and being truthful.

 

Let's just say,

its more than that, okay?

 

 

Love love,

Ryai The Scientist.