บทที่ 11

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to There's Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes) 

 

Her keen eyes had been watching the other figure from afar. She hesitated because the idea of getting into the conversation and becoming the first person to approach isn't her style. If she is Jessica, her older sister, she might be brave to greet willingly but the thing is, she wasn't.

She is Amber, the only boyish alive in the campus. As extra information, the latter is widely known for her maturity in speech, and plus, her style of clothing made her as the limited edition between girls. Krystal still remembers, Yebin had mentioned about Amber's handsome looks and always become the main topic wherever she goes. The annoying fangirls from netball club have been admiring her to the death and the other girls from another infamous club also doing the same.
 
Krystal bites her index finger with her teeth, staring at the older girl.
 
"What if she doesn't want to talk to me since I was the person who suggested to Wendy? Could that be the reason she's been avoiding me and our housemates???" she has a quick monologue inside her head repeatedly.

The moment she caught the figure almost getting away, Krystal groaned in frustration and paced instantly to be on her side.
 
"Hey," she said first.

Amber, the main target just replied with the same 'hey'.

"What happened? You seem upset," Krystal asked, with her barely audible voice.

"Nothing happened," the tomboy snorted as she marched faster with the steps. The long hair woman struggled to keep up as she begged Amber to slow down a bit.

"Are you running for your life? This building not going to collapse,"

"I have class in 30 minutes, Jung. I need to be fast," still in her speed mode, Amber ignored Krystal's eyes on her and looked up straight ahead. Deep inside, she knows why the pretty face approached her at that moment.
 
"Yebin and Dahyun complained to me. You've been a stone cold for this few days. May I know why?"

Amber slowed her pace, shifting her head to see Krystal on her right side. "Are you sure they made complaints about me?"

"Yeah, they were. What made you think they're not? Don't say you didn't mean to be such that ignorant since I'd see it clear you've been caving yourself inside the room,"
 
"If I tell, I'm sure none of you will understand, Ms. Krystal," Amber muttered.
 
"Oh really? Well, try me then," Krystal crossed her arms, putting the arrogant look on her face.
 
Amber directly speak out then,
"I'm gay,"
 
 

Krystal's expression remained calm. No sign of surprise or getting a heart attack after listening to Amber's coming out moment. She only stared at the older girl, like nothing big is happening.
 
"Really? Because you're gay so you're avoiding us?"
 
"You've heard that, Krystal. I'm being honest with you," that was the stern tone from Amber.
 
 
"I don't understand," she said back in denial, " What's...the relation between this confession and your sudden change of behavior? I didn't see it.. related?"
 
 
"Oh yes it is,"
 
Krystal's face scrunched in confusion.
 
Later, Amber voiced out, totally in full English,

"Yeah, that's what I'm dealing with right now. I'm gay, and I happen to be living in this narrow-minded country. I'm fighting to fit in, I did good things so that people will think good of me. Sadly, I didn't know that this particular girl thinking of me as the subject of experiment although I'm being all nice to her. She said to those friends of hers that I'm weird and sometimes I did weird things like non- ordinary girl does. Butch, specifically?"
 
And Krystal finally gets on where's the conversation is going. She stopped Amber by raising her hand, "Wait, I have an explanation for that, Amber,"
 
"Oh, you have? What it is?"
 
She released a sigh as she stared straight into the taller girl's eyes, "I didn't mean to be offensive, I just thought that I could be a help to them. They're searching for someone who is so impossible to exist in this community and when I got to know you more, I'm slowly understand, that you're... different,"
 
Amber waited for her next words, still in her serious expression.
 
"Amber, please, don't misunderstand me. In case you forget, I'm American. I lived in that open-minded country, same as yours. There's a lot of... girls, who, dress like you, and behave like you but they're not gay. But there's girls, normal and feminine girls, like me, who probably are very gay,"
 
Amber's face soften and Krystal furthered more, "I suggested your name because I strongly believe that your variation isn't available here for their studies. I know Wendy, she really understands the situation. They aren't making you as an experiment, Amber. They're reaching for you so that you can help them to help this narrow-minded community. That's it, that's what I think about you,"
 
"You're not making up, right?" the tomboy still feels insecure.
 
"No, I'm not. You have my explanation already, Amber," replied Krystal. "Is that being gay distracted you all this time? You avoided us because... you feel not right to fit in?"

She didn't reply anything, instead, she looked away and began to walk again.
 
 
"Amber, you're being a jerk," and her steps stopped as she heard that from the younger.
 
 
"You cannot bluntly avoid those innocent girls who knows nothing about your uality. They care about you, as normal human being. They worried because they're afraid there's something happened to you. They see you as a sister, who deserve to be loved too. Your kindness, they're wanting to repay that,"

"Look what you've done, Amber. Being nice isn't always enough but sometimes they understand it through your sincerity, you showed that to them. They approved because none of them cares about how different you are, they only see you as real, a very real girl person,"

Krystal said more,
"I came here to you because I want to know why you're so caring about others but you didn't care about yourself. Neglecting and thinking you as a non-straight girl and that made you feel uncomfortable being with them is such a lame excuse to me. You know what? I'm curious why you're so good in counseling but you're terrible in appreciating the way you are,"

"Now I know you're gay, but it doesn't matter to me, Amber. I saw you first as someone who is very-very kind and nice although you've annoyed me much before. For me, gay isn't the subject of life. Its just extra ability you have, you know? So no need to take it for granted,"

Amber, still in silence, still immersed in her terrible thoughts only looked at the girl, and slowly believing in what she said. She nodded a bit then,

"Have someone told you that you're so good at talking?"

"No, I said to myself that I'm so good at talking," Krystal joked.
 
 
Amber sighed a chuckle, giving her a small smile. "So...you know...that...I'm not straight all this time?"
 
 
Krystal stated back then,
"Not really. I'm wondering too either you're straight or not because you're confusing,"
 
 
"Means?" Amber asked, raising her eyebrow.
 
 
"I don't know, that's why I asked Wendy to find out more about you. You seem tough and really look like a man, but, it's funny when I realized that you are a gentlewoman actually. You're... quite soft and... cute, too," Krystal didn't dare to look at the boyish's face so she pretended to look at the wall, wishing she can rewind the statement and replace with a new one.
 
Amber chuckled again.
"Krys, you're underestimating me,"
 
 
"NO! You are cute, I'm serious!" Krystal fought on her words and it was too late for her to take back for what she has shouted. She concealed the embarrassing moment with a loud groan then. "Ugh! Just forget it!"
 
Having no clue what to do next, the beautiful figure quickly left the space, leaving Amber there who's been watching her without any sound.
 
 
She whispered to herself, smiling mentally,
 
 
"This girl is really something,"
 
 
 
 
 

***
 
 
 
Krystal's POV
 
 
"I'm gay,"
 

Whush. She dared to say that right on me! And it was good enough I can maintain my straight face. As if she knows, I don't expect her to be such a straight-forward! I thought she would give some other excuse but nah! She did that!
 
I feel doomed.
 
So, what's now then?
 
She came out to me, and... I can't think of another phrase to describe how surprised I was.
I thought she just some tomboy or some other regular butch (this refer to a woman who dresses like a man in total), and yes, Amber is exactly out-spoken about her gender manipulation.
 
Well, how to put this?
 
Do Wendy and the team really manage to dig everything about her?
If then, she probably came out to them first!
 
So, I really need to get that Wendy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
 
 
She combed her short hair to the left side, checking the reflection of her face at the shining mirror. Taking a short glance at the other girl, she sighed a little.
"Dubu,"

The other girl still immersed in the earphones, so she can't hear a thing.
"Dahyunie," called Amber, louder.
 
That's when the girl finally realized there's a voice calling out for her. She took off the item and said, "Yes? You called me?"
 
Amber smiled as she nodded.
"You're free this evening?"
 

"Hmm... maybe. Why?"
 

"Let's walk with me? I've just got my allowance today. Strolling through the mall or... we go out and have some fun?"
 

Dahyun looked at Amber, almost confused. "Are you... okay? Its like first time you ask me out after few days,"
 

"Of course, I am. I can't have fun?" said Amber calmly.
 

"No... you can, absolutely. It's just... I thought you're not in the mood... You know, you'd look upset and super... gloomy," Dahyun replied as her tone became flat at the end.
 
The older girl's lips clamped together then and she felt, guilty.
Placing her on Dahyun's comfy bed, Amber stared at her roommate and said, "I'm sorry. My bad, I shouldn't be like that to you and I realized, I kinda miss hanging out with you and the girls,"

"So, what happened? You've been avoiding us, unnie. I'm scared if I ask, you're not going to like it. I was terrified too, your face was so dark and cold. No expression at all,"
 
Amber's eyes get wide,
"I was like that???"

Dahyun only nods, giving her small puppy eyes.

"Oh god..." breathed in deep, she suppressed the amount of guilt through the air and took a glance at that small girl again. "I'm so sorry, Dahyunnie. I was so stupid, I can't think straight when I'm down and that what happened to me. I'm sorry I've made you scared,"

"No, it's okay. Not only me scared of you. Yebin, Kyung and Minky unnie too. We were in the dilemma where none of us brave enough to mutter a thing to you, you know? And that's when we talked to Krystal-unnie, since she's the second oldest in our house,"
 
Amber had thought for a moment.
So, the girls did really complain about me to that Krystal-girl.
 

"I guess... she did talk to you... right?" Dahyun tried to ask.
 

The short-hair chuckled as she stated, "Sure thing, she did talk to me and thanks to all of you,"
 
Dahyun grinned, showing her white teeth,
"You're welcome,"
"Do we have another issue other than this?"
 

"Issues?" Amber frowned. "No... I don't think so..."

"Unnie, you cannot lie to me. You are the person who will never get mad or become heartless without a reason. I'm sure there's a thing has been disturbing you,"
 
The statement from the younger had paused Amber for quite a long time. She was thinking, either telling Dahyun about the reason or just create another logical excuse to stop her from asking again.
 
"Well... The thing was...." Amber paused, "I had a fight with my... my father. He rang me and suddenly he scolded me because I didn't go back to see my ill grandma last month. He said I am too forgetful about family and things," she reasoned, hiding things again. 
 
Dahyun stared at the handsome face as she touched Amber's hand gently.
"He was wrong, unnie. You're not that kind of person, I know you,"
 

"Unfortunately, he didn't think of me like that,"
 

"No... it's normal. Family's fight will always end with sorry. You gotta trust me, he will definitely call you again and apologize,"


"You say, my father will apologize to me? Ofh that will be one of wonder in this world if he does that, Dubu,"


"Why not? He is your father, he knows you. Maybe he just quite disappointed with you since you're too busy here. He wants to talk to you but he doesn't have anything to say so that's why he tries to make you remember him, for that scold,"

At that time, Amber reminisced what Krystal had said to her yesterday.
"You cannot bluntly avoid those innocent girls who know nothing about your uality. They care about you, as normal human being. They worried because they're afraid there's something happened to you. They see you as a sister, who deserve to be loved too. Your kindness, they're wanting to repay that,"
 
 

"Dahyun?"

"Yes, unnie?"

"Do you think I'm a good person?"

The fair-skin squeezed Amber's hand as she claimed firmly,
"Amber unnie, you're one of the kindest people I'd ever meet in this world!"
 

"That's outrageous, not entirely the whole world," Amber denied, smiling.
 

"Oh, sure! In my world, yes!"
 

Eventually, they laughed together. The tomboy playfully ruffled Dahyun's hair and muttered,
"You're also one of the best girl ever in my world, Dahyunnie,"
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
She almost screamed in fear when all of sudden a hand pulled her from nowhere. When they both trapped in excluded space or to be precise, the ladies room, Wendy finally able to see the culprit's face.
 
She hissed, "Krystal Jung! You know I'm a scaredy cat! And why you're looking like you just rob a bank???"
 
Krystal hissed back,
"No silly, I didn't do anything cruel this time, okay? I've just had a conversation, a very intense conversation with your new friend, Amber,"
 

"Huh? Amber? What you did to her?"
 

"I didn't do anything!"
 
 
"Then?"
 

"Wendy, how was the interview? Is she... make a confession or something???" Krystal asked in a curious tone. "She really said something, isn't it?"
 

The other's mouth shut tight.
"No, I can't tell you,"
 

"WHAT? WHY?"
 

The Canadian girl gently caressed Krystal's shoulder as she replied calmly, "I promised to her that anything inside the interview will never slip out to anyone else. I won't break my promise just because you are my best friend, Krystal,"
 

"Since when you've become this private and confidential huh? You're not good at keeping promises or secrets," the young lady mocked.
 

"Oh little miss Jung, I've changed a lot after I knew that Amber. She's the best," Wendy stated confidently. She turned around and faced the mirror, casually checking her hair afterward. "Despite her unique style, I found out that she's not bad in looking too. I mean, just look at her closely. That shiny and bright eye smile, tidy and neat hair and one thing I love to see the most is... her powerful speech,"
Wendy added more, "I just wish I can be literary like her!"
 

Krystal put both her hands on her tiny waist,
"You checked her out?"
 

"Why? Is that wrong?"
 

"Yes, you made it sound weird, Seung Wan-sshi..." Krystal pressed her words on Wendy's Korean name.
 
"Sshh... Don't call me by that name, Jung,"
 
 
She rolled her eyes as Wendy fake a cry.
 

"Look, I'm curious about that Amber, for now, Ms. Wendy. Can you at least give me a tiny little hint about what she said to three of you???"
 
 
Wendy vigourously shakes her head. "No, sorry, I can't."
 

"Please... I'll get you something as a return,"
 

"What it is as a return?"
 

"Hmmm... I don't know, you name it,"
 
 

"Then I want you to stay away or probably go ask Amber by yourself. I don't want to be the middle person here, I'm not a bridge or Nokia thing, to connect people, okay?"
 

"Wendy, this is crucial. I really need you to tell me either she admits or not... for being... not- straight," Krystal looked around, ensuring only two of them there in the washroom as she furthered,
"She came out to me, saying that she is gay,"
 
 
And the shorter girl's face instantly changed. Her eyes widen and her jaws dropped.
 

"W-wh-wwhat...???" that's only the words Wendy can say.
 

"I don't want to repeat that," Krystal glared at her.
 

Wendy released a short breath then. She stared at Krystal who looks like the Bengal tigress living in the jungle. The flaming eyes were totally burning to know what's next.
 

"Okay, I just can say this to you," she decided, finally to reveal something.
 

Krystal nods, watching close at Wendy's lips, trying to read what she's going to utter.
 
 
 
"Amber said she is gay since born. She struggles a lot to seek for her own identity and she had once, fell in love, when she was a teenager. The reason why she's here, in Korea, because she wanted to be far away from the girl who had hurt her for being gay. That girl made her think, she isn't lucky in love. That's it, Krystal, that's what I can tell you about my respondent," explained Wendy long.
 

"So... you're saying, she is still... hurt?" Krystal asked.
 
 
"I'm not sure about that... "Wendy shrugged. "Krystal, don't tell Amber about this, she's gonna kill me!"
 

"Alright, I promised," Krystal firmly said. The angelic creature began to think then,
 

Why did she told me right on the spot that she's gay? Why was that so easy?

Wendy's voice interrupted her thoughts,
"Soojung, based on your looks, I can feel you're going to do something after this. Whatever in your brain, I beg you, please... don't do anything to her, will you?"
 

"What? You think I am that bad???"
 

"Well, sometimes, yeah,"
 

Krystal glared again but then, she questioned the girl,
 
 

"Wendy, have you ever think, why is someone being honest and truthful with you but not with someone else?"
 

"What kind of question is that?" Wendy furrowed her eyebrows, confused.
 
 
"Just say what you know, silly,"
 

"Erm... whoa, this is hard," Wendy stopped and pushed her brain to work for a while.
"Maybe... being honest and truthful in specific with someone, will ease the feelings?"
 

This time, Krystal's turn to frown.
 

"Maybe... I don't know, she is keeping something, which is such a burden to her and by coincidence, the thing is related to someone. So she thought maybe if she comes out straight saying what she feels to that someone, she can feel less hurt?"
 
 
And Krystal still with her clueless face which made Wendy blew an air,
"Whatever I've just said, just forget it, Krystal. I don't think you understand,"
 

The Jung raised her eyebrows then, before ending their secret conversation in the ladies room,
 

"You have a complicated mind, my friend. And that's why I can't really understand you, sometimes,"
 
While the Wendy woman just shrugged,
"Yeah, that's me. Can't help it,"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
____________
Done with a chapter after a tiring day.
 
Do you agree that sometimes, gay people has a very complicated mind? 
 
For me, sometimes I am. 
 
 
The way I think and the way I talk, it is always complicated. Even my lecturer confirmed that about me back then when I'm in college. She said, I should think everything in easy way, not by burdening my brain to think of something which is very hard to comprehend or not easy to be explainable.
 
Now I'm sure, I really have that complicated mind if you guys can understand Wendy's explanation to Krystal about why people being truthful and honest in particular. 
 
Like usual. thanks for reading, liking, subscribing and do anything as you read this story. 
 
The other chapter perhaps, will coming soon, but not very soon. 
 
I'm working outside now, so it is hard to get internet connection. 
 
Love all of you, 
 
RYAI.