บทที่ 22

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Heal Me by Lady Gaga) 

 

Author POV 

 

Amber almost spit out the liquid in as Yebin came from her back and harshly put the flyer on the table, stated excitedly, "Finally! The most anticipating event in my life!" 

She swallowed first before her hand reached for the paper and take a look on it curiously. 

"Spring... Ball?" 

 

Yebin nodded proudly and placed herself opposite the older girl. "Unnie, all the girls can't wait for this term because of this thing. I'd never go to any ball, everr," 

 

"Hmmhh," Amber whinned as she said in her lazy tone, "I thought the world is going to end. Its not like you never dance for the rest of your life, Yebin-ah," 

 

"Haish... The difference is for the ball, we gotta find our partner for the dance! For the waltz! Don't you see in there??? There will be the King and Queen of the Night!" 

 

"Aaah, that thing... Oh that's why you're so excited about it," Amber complained as she continued to munch her lunch meal slowly. "I know, you want to be the Queen for the Night?" 

 

Yebin nodded and then she suddenly shook. 

 

"Not really... I'd just want to be a part of college life, that's all. They said, if you'd never been asked by boy, for the ball, you're pathetic," 

 

"Hmm, actually Minky said that... Right??" 

 

Yebin grinned, showing her cute buck teeth. 

 

"I'm not interested, because I don't know how to dance, and... its impossible for boy to ask me out, for the ball," 

 

"Eh why??" 

 

"Because I will never wear skirt or short dress, I'm not that girlish type okay? I'm not like you and the rest of the girls in college," Amber explained, finishing the sandwich. "So, polite pass. I'm not going to the ball," 

 

"Who says you have to wear dress??? You can put anything on your body, unnie... The other reason for me to go is because the party's theme is Hollywood costumes. You can be Spiderman, Wonder Woman or anything!" 

 

"Okay, that's weird. I'd never knew, you can be Spiderman and dance with Romeo," muttered Amber, frowning. "Not good to see though, my eyes can't accept for the view," 

 

"Well, let's just hope we will never see any Spiderman dances with Romeo," Yebin stated, "I thought you're okay with this? With being unique and different? Unnie, the ball is the party, and the party is the ball. Why you can't get it? The wind of change is slowly dominating our campus. Remember Wendy and her nerd gang? Their thesis about homophobias had been published officially and the Dean is totally proud of it!" 

"So for the first time in this college's history, a ball or party-like for all students, no matter straight or not- girls with boys, girls with girls or even the most unacceptable weird couple are very welcoming to go! Thanks for Wendy and the nerds, their thesis has managed to become the main route for this party!" Yebin said, half-shouted. It was obvious she can't handle her excited spirit as she didn't stop squealing like Wanna One's Kang Daniel's extreme fangirls. 

 

"Wait... does it mean... " Amber murmured. She only think of one name after hearing the shocking news from Yebin. 

 

Krystal

 

And she didn't know her lips slowly curving a small smile. 

 

"Okay?" Yebin's voice echoed, unbearable in her ears. Amber zoned out, imagining something else- much better than the ball, the party-like or Wendy's homophobia thesis. She started to picture the breathtaking lady will be dancing with her and probably that will be the most anticipating moment in her life too, to ask Krystal for the ball. 

 

"Amber unnie!" Yebin's scream scared her out as she felt her heart almost jumped out from the rib cage. 

 

"WHAT?" the boyish shouted back, calming her rapid heartbeat. "Oh god, I was thinking, Yebin-ah... Don't scream again please, I'll go deaf," 

 

"I asked you nicely before and you had a donkey face on! That's why I screamed!" Yebin replied, still screaming out loud. 

 

"Okay-okay, I'm sorry. What was it?" Amber asked. 

 

"I said... Is that okay if you go with me to the ball???" 

 

"WHAT?" 

 

"Don't make me go on repeat, unnie. A girl only ask for once- not twice," 

 

 

Looking at the cheerful face, Amber was speechless. If she decline, Yebin will be totally upset and if she approve... what about her and Krystal?

She just had a thought of borrowing Key's tuxedo and ask for the ladyboy's opinion on how to ask for Krystal's hand. 

And she even been dreaming to ask Krystal for a dance. 

 

 

Her hope was shattered when she unwillingly nodded for Yebin's question and the younger girl jumped from her seat and threw her tiny body to Amber for a hug. 

 

 

 

"I think there will be really Spiderman dances with Romeo, Yebin-ah..." Amber stated weakly as the girl released herself. Yebin laughed as she muttered thank you and gave the older a quick peck on her right cheek. 

 

 

"Okay, I'm gonna ask Dahyun next! Thank you for accepting my request!" 

 

The statement made Amber's eyebrows furrowed. "You just asked me... Shouldn't it be only...us???" 

 

 

"Oh... no-no, we're not going as a couple but as the whole group. So far, you, me and Minkyung unnie are in, so... I need to ask Dahyun and Kyulkyung next," Yebin snorted spontaneously. 

"And since you're in, asking Krystal unnie is your job now," she added, patting Amber's broad shoulder. "I know I can rely on you, Amber unnie. In the name of Life Literature Club, will you go and ask her nicely then?" 

 

"Uhmm... well.. I'll try, of course! Not a big deal for me," the boyish answered, half-confident. 

 

"Good," Yebin sighed, patted Amber for the last time. "I'll get going okay? See you tonight, let's decide what to wear for the ball," 

 

"Alright, I must be there," said Amber. 

 

"You and Krystal unnie," Yebin corrected. 

 

"Yes, Krystal and I, I promise," Amber gave a thumbs up to the girl. 

 

When the figure of Yebin disappeared from her view, suddenly the phone inside her pocket vibrated. Amber took out the device and unlocked it. She smiled as she read the text from the girl she's going to meet soon;

 

From: Krystal

Wendy asked Irene and Seulgi asked me for this weird ball. What should I say? Actually, I have someone else in mind. :(

 

Still smiling, Amber began to write a reply; 

To: Krystal

Aah.. Just said someone already asked you out. And it is me. 

 

Not even more than 10 seconds, she got another text from the same person. 

 

From: Krystal

Did you mean it? You really want to go with... me? 

 

 

The smile can't be wiped off from her lips as Amber wrote: 

Yeah, I really mean it, Krys. Will you?

Then, she waited for almost 5 minutes for Krystal to reply her text; 

 

From: Krystal

Okay, I'll go and tell Seulgi 'that someone' already asked me. Now, are we deal?

 

Amber began to text back while reading for herself; 

Yes, deal ;) 

She pressed the send button and locked the screen instantly. Amber chuckled alone as she remembered her promise for Yebin eventually granted, without any hard effort. 

 

On her way back to their beloved unit, Amber decided, she will be Romeo and Krystal, will definitely be her only Juliette. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Amber and Krystal were the last 'members' to join their Life Literature Club first gathering as they reached the living room, Yebin and the girls had already waiting- sitting in circle. It was the boyish's ideas to have dinner first together before returning home a bit late than usual. 

 

"Alright, with both unnies' absence, now we're all OTP6! Perfecto!" Yebin said and clapped excitedly. She pulled Amber's hand to sit right next to her while Roa awkwardly bowed to Krystal when the pretty girl took a place beside her. 

 

"Okay girls, what's the plan?" Amber asked, settling herself comfortably as she folded her legs. 

 

"I say, we start first with characters. Each person suggests a character, anything, as long as it has something to do with Hollywood and we write in on a paper, scroll it, put it into the lucky box and withdraw," Dahyun voiced out her opinion, which earned spontaneous nod from Amber. 

 

"Its pretty interesting," stated Krystal. 

 

"Yeah, good idea for me," added Roa as she exchanged look with Kyulkyung. "What do you think?" 

 

The Chinse girl forced her brain to think as she concentrated on what should being said next until an idea popped out. She immediately raised her hand, getting all the attentions as she suggested, "What if... we try out a couple theme? Like, Jack and Rose from Titanic, Bella and Edward from Twillight or... any famous couple from the movies?" 

 

"So.. we should pair up?" asked Yebin. 

 

"Probably," Kyulkyung replied. 

 

Dahyun clapped her hands together, "I want to be your partner then, Pinky!" 

 

"Urm... maybe it will be very interesting if we don't choose the partner first. Let the withdraw decides," Kyulkyung added again. And when Dahyun's forehead scrunched in confusion, she explained again, "Okay, for example, I write Rose and you write Jack, Amber unnie writes Edward and Krystal unnie writes Bella. We must tell what we choose so at least the character must have their love interest. We put our papers into the lucky box and shake it. Each of us must insert our hand into the box and take one paper. Only one paper. So, still in example, if I get Bella and you get Edward- we're gonna be a couple.But if I get Edward and Amber unnie gets Bella, then me and her are a couple. Understand?" 

 

"Ohhhh," Dahyun, Yebin and Minkyung chorused together, finally. 

 

"Nice one, Pinky," muttered Amber. She secretly hope Krystal will write Juliette because she will go with Romeo. But whatever the character it is, she still want them both to pair up as a couple. 

 

"Okay everyone, let's write down whatever in mind," said Yebin, passing over the papers to every girl in the room. 

 

As the younger girls were busy thinking and looking down on the papers, Krystal whispered to Amber, "I know what to write," 

 

Amber, sighing a smile, whispered back, "So am I," 

 

They exchanged another meaningful smile and stare before jolting down the chosen character. 

 

 

"I'll start first..." Yebin told, putting the paper into the magic box. "I chose... Cleopatra," 

Minkyung's jaw dropped as she shouted, "No way! I wrote Mark Anthony!" 

 

"Whoa, first couple detected," Amber commented, taking the box from Yebin and asked Minkyung to insert her paper. She copied the tall girl's action and said, "I wrote Romeo," and passed it to Krystal on her right side. 

"And I wrote... Juliette," 

 

The whole circle squalled when they knew Amber and Krystal 'coincidentally' wrote the famous couple in history. 

 

"I chose Shah Jahan," muttered Dahyun proudly as her turn came. 

"Oh noo... we didn't click like them!" Kyulkyung pouted and said, "I wrote Clyde!" 

 

Amber's eyebrows lifted up, surprised. "One of you should surrender then. Shah Jahan can't fit with Clyde," 

 

"So, two of you must decide which couple should be in. Shah Jahan and Mumtaz or... Bonnie and Clyde," finally Krystal's voice came out. 

 

Dahyun and Kyulkyung began to discuss while the rest taking a break. Amber and Krystal lost in their own world, while Yebin and Minkyung were busy with their own discussion. 

 

"Done, we've decided," Kyulkyung speak out first and Dahyun continued, "We'll choose Bonnie and Clyde!" 

 

Amber clapped and followed by the others then. She reached the lucky box, shake it as hard as she can- making Krystal to giggle cutely then hand it over to Yebin. "You first, take and keep it for a while," 

 

"Okay," Yebin replied as she inserted her tiny hand into the box and picked one of the scroll papers. The session continued until the last member, Kyulkyung, got herself the last piece. 

 

Amber as the host, pointed at Yebin once again. "So, what you got?" 

 

Yebin answered, "I am Clyde," 

 

Minkyung screamed again, "Oh my God! I got Bonnie! HAHAHAHAHA!!!" 

"We really click, Yebin-ah!!!" she said, hugging the tiny girl's side and laughed out loud. 

 

Amber also laughed until she nervously unscroll the paper and read out to the group, "I got Romeo, which... actually I was the one who wrote this," 

The girls woo-ed except for Krystal. She unscroll her paper and show it to the tomboy, "I'm Cleopatra..." 

 

"Haha, now I will be Juliette!" Kyulkyung admitted, showing her paper to Amber. "Unnie, we're a couple now!" 

 

"So... Dahyun, you're the Mark Anthony," asked Yebin, earning a small nod from the dubu-face. "Means, you and Krystal unnie will pair up together, Minkyung unnie with me and, we got Amber unnie as Romeo and Kyulkyung as her Juliette!" 

 

Glancing over Krystal's upset look, Amber chuckled. She was frustrated since her Juliette is not Krystal but still she's happy to be around the girls. 

 

"So everyone, we better start searching the outfits as soon as possible, because the ball is coming," told Minkyung calmly. "And the hard session passed, now what?" 

 

"Now... its time to eatttt!!!" Yebin's loud volume shrieked through their ears as she rose and threw her hands in the air excitedly.