บทที่ 57

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Like a Fool by Twice) 

 

When she thought there is no more opportunity for her to enjoy being loved, the most beautiful day appeared. That day was the most anticipated day for her, the partner and also everyone. 
 

The garden was beautifully decorated with flowers and neatly cut grass. Hundreds of white-coloured bulbs installed and covered almost all the areas, as the entrance emitted aesthetic lights for every guest when they put on the first step there. 
Preparations were made from the morning, and finally, everything was complete before the dusk. The couple who will be celebrating that night, each was getting ready in a separate room. Despite being not far from each other, the two of them felt very nervous. Not because they were worried about other people's impressions, but because they were anxious to see themselves during the ceremony. 



Amber cleared so many times. She even couldn't stop reminding herself to calm down. As all the seats had been taken, she felt she had almost everyone's attention. They were sitting in front of her and definitely all the eyes on her as well. 

Ms Han In held her smile seeing Amber's anxious state. She tapped her right arm, "Are you nervous?" 

 

Clearing again, Amber nodded. 


She consoled her then, "Just breathe in and try to relax," 

 

Glancing at the older woman, Amber said, "Believe me, Ms. Han, I'm really trying," 


Amber had three layers of clothes on that day. Started with a plain white shirt of Mark & Spencer, Key insisted her to put on a navy blue colured vest and black suit jacket too, and completed her groom's vibe with blue satin necktie. The diva boy seemed more excited than her when they spent hours in the fitting room earlier, while Amber's mind had been bombarded by plenty of thoughts. 


The weather was very good since it has passed an hour of dusk. Even though the ceremony been carried out outside, lanterns installed in every corner of the garden illuminated all. Another minutes of waiting, Amber snapped from her messy mind when she heard Ms. Han In's voice. 

 

"Look up, Amber. Your bride is here," 



The guests rose from their seats and the pathway to the altar has become the main attention when Krystal in her white dress stepped through, having Mr. Kim by her side. 


(Playing Gold by T-ARA Hyomin) 

 

Each step taken to the aisle, Krystal had her right hand holding to Mr Kim's arm as the lace veil covered her face and half of her exposed back. 

Her heart was pounding faster than usual when they're approaching the altar and the man helped her taking steps on the small wooden stairs. 

 

"You're here, dear," Mr Kim told Krystal as he led her facing Amber until they finally stood right in front of each other. 

She didn't lift up her face yet, although she can feel Amber's eyes were fixed at her. 

 

 

"You may open the veil now, Amber," said Ms Han In. 


Still in a state of nervous, Amber slowly uncovered the veil on Krystal's face with her cold hands. 

 

She can't lie, her heart almost stopped when her eyes caught Krystal's. 

 

"You're so beautiful," the words slipped through, out from her conscious mind and both Ms Han In and Mr Kim chuckled at their standing spots. 

 

 

"Are you ready?" asked Ms Han In, staring at Amber then Krystal. When she saw them nodded in sync, Ms Han In started, projected her voice clearly. 

 

"Welcome, family, friends and loved ones. We gather here today to celebrate the wedding of Amber and Krystal. You have come here to share in this formal commitment they make to one another, to offer your love and support to this union, and to allow Amber and Krystal to start their married life together surrounded by the people dearest and most important to them," 

 

 

Standing in the front row, Mrs Soo Hye watched her youngest daughter was about to exchange her vow, with a big smile drew on her face. Having Jessica next to her, she gripped her hand and they looked at each other. 

The oldest child smiled, gripping back her mother's hand. 


"We've come to the point of your ceremony where you're going to say your vows to one another. But before you do that, I ask you to remember that love—which is rooted in faith, trust, and acceptance—will be the foundation of an abiding and deepening relationship. No other ties are more tender, no other vows more sacred than those you now assume. If you are able to keep the vows you take here today, not because of any religious or civic law, but out of a desire to love and be loved by another person fully, without limitation, then your life will have joy and the home you establish will be a place in which you both will find the direction of your growth, your freedom, and your responsibility. Please now read the vows you have written for each other," Ms Han In furthered, shifting her head at Amber. 

Closing her eyes for a while, Amber took a deep breath before she began reading out loud the vow she has memorized, 

"I Amber, take you, Krystal to be my wife, my constant friend and partner, and my love. I will work to create a bond of honesty, respect, and trust; one that withstands the tides of time and change, and grows along with us. I vow to honor and respect you for all that you are and will become, taking pride in who we are, both separately and together. I promise to challenge you and to accept challenges from you. I will join with you and our community in an ongoing struggle to create a world we all want to live in, where love and friendship will be recognized and celebrated in all their many forms. Our home will be a sanctuary and a respite for us and for those whom we cherish. Above all, I will give you my love freely and unconditionally. I pledge this to you from the bottom of my heart, for all the days of our lives..." 


Krystal stared at Amber's face, nodding her head. 

"And now, Krystal, its your turn," told Ms Han In to her god-daughter. 


So then, the pretty Krystal repeated Amber's words, 

"I Krystal, take you, Amber to be my wife, my constant friend and partner, and my love. I will work to create a bond of honesty, respect, and trust; one that withstands the tides of time and change, and grows along with us. I vow to honor and respect you for all that you are and will become, taking pride in who we are, both separately and together. I promise to challenge you and to accept challenges from you. I will join with you and our community in an ongoing struggle to create a world we all want to live in, where love and friendship will be recognized and celebrated in all their many forms. Our home will be a sanctuary and a respite for us and for those whom we cherish. Above all, I will give you my love freely and unconditionally. I pledge this to you from the bottom of my heart, for all the days of our lives..." 

Amber curved a little smile, nodding back at the woman she loved the most. 

"May I have the rings, please?" Ms Han In asked in return. Mr Kim handed a leather box on behalf of Krystal while Key, who's been standing by Amber from the start stepped in took out a tiny pouch bag from his pocket and gave it to the officiant of the day. 

"Amber and Krystal, please repeat after me," Ms Han In requested as she opened both items and took out a rose gold diamond ring and a triangle notch band ring. She passed both rings to them then. " I give you this ring, as a daily reminder of my love for you," 

Amber and Krystal repeated together, "I give you this ring, as a daily reminder of my love for you," as they put the wedding rings into their forth finger. 


Completing her duty as the officiant of the wedding, Ms Han In stated, 

 

"By the power of your love and commitment, and the power vested in me, I now pronounce you two as a married couple. You may kiss each other," she muttered and smiled. 



Eyes teary, Amber stared deep into Krystal's eyes as she held her hands. 

 

"I love you, Krys," 

 

 

The latter also started to get eyes-teary too as she replied, "I love you too, Amber," and closed her eyes when Amber brought her face closer. 

 

Their lips gently pressed onto each other and Ms Han In was the first one to clap, followed by all the guests. 

 

 

Key held himself from shedding tears, clapping happily while witnessing Amber and Krystal went in with smooth kisses. He looked at his father, and they nodded their heads. 


Jessica hugged Mrs Soo Hye, who started to cry. 

 

 

The members of Life Literature Club also there. Dahyun and Kyukyung had their arms around the waists, cheering to the newly wed couple. Yebin and Minkyung, with their brightest smiles were clapping too while Sinbi, Irene, Seulgi and Wendy, who've been standing at the second row already had their faces full of tears- feeling proud to witness the happy ending of Amber and Krystal. 






 





 

 

 

 

 

 

***

(Listening to Lost Stars Cover by Kim Minkyung)

 

 

-Present time-



Imme, Shuhua and Miyeon were smiling without they realizing it. They were listening faithfully to Amber's story and right when it came to resolution, which was very great to hear- they all felt very satisfied. 

Meanwhile, Amber, still in her kitchen mode, was wiping clean the wine glasses one by one while she revealed to the young girls what happened to her, Krystal and the rest of Life Literature Club members. 

"At the beginning of our marriage, we struggled a lot," she said. "I was having a difficult time to get a stable job while Krystal needed to volunteer looking for her mother's franchise. She was literally jumping between LA and Seoul every week while I worked efficiently as a plant officer in my uncle's farm for a couple of years," Amber put the wine glass back to its place as she reached for another one next. 

"But things really gotten better afterwards though. My uncle made his official retirement by handing the farm fully on my shoulders while Key, his son joined Jessica in Paris and became one of her assistants," 

 

"And what happened to the others?" Imme asked. "We figured out that Wendy got married to a man," 

 

"Yeah, a very good looking man!" Miyeon added. "What's his name?" she looked at Shuhua suddenly. "Also something Kim..." 

 

 

"Mr Kim Nam Joon," Shuhua continued as both Imme and her cousin Miyeon nodded. 


Amber chuckled, and looked at the three with her arms crossed. 


"Frankly speaking, I agree not to interfere with other's private life. That's all I can say," 

 

 

Imme locked although she wanted to ask more about the rest then. 

 

 

"But, today is your lucky day," Amber furthered. She drank the warm coffee from her mug and smiled at them. 


Perplexed, Imme scrunched her forehead. "Lucky day? What is it? Your birthday?" 

 

 

 

Amber was closed to answer it until the front door has been cracked open and someone's rushing steps invaded the space.

Imme, Shuhua and Miyeon automatically turned their back while Amber stared at the new figure there. 

 

She walked into the kitchen and nagged, "I had to run for about, how much is it? A hundred metres and then I forgot my damn purse! Now I need to run back and get that damn purse and run again for a hundred metres!" 

She released the recycle bags from her hands and put them on the kitchen counter. Barely aware of others' presence there, she continued to nag, looking at Amber angrily, 

"Why in the world you make our parking garage so far from the house, Amber Liu??? I'm not a sprinter, you know even the world is in an eclipse mode, I would never run!" 

 

Amber chuckled and shrugged her shoulders. 

 

And when she shifted her attention at their dining table, her face changed drastically. 

"O-oh, I didn't realize you have... guests... today?" then she stared at Amber confusedly. 

 

"Can we hit a pause button for a second here, Krys? I would love to introduce our new friends," Amber said. 

 

Miyeon flashed her happiest smile, Shuhua made a bow while Imme couldn't take her eyes away from Krystal. 


"Girls, meet my wife, Krystal and Krys, meet Imme, Shuhua and... oh, I didn't know your name yet dear," Amber introduced them one by one until she realized she has forgotten Miyeon's name. 

The free-spirited Miyeon stood from her chair and rushed to Krystal, offering a handshake. "I'm Cho Miyeon, call me Miyeon, Mrs Krystal!" 

Even she was a bit surprised by Miyeon's excitement gesture, Krystal immediately took her hands and shook them gently. 

"Hi, I'm Krystal. Nice to meet you, Miyeon," 



Amber laughed as Krystal shot a confused look at her. 


Imme followed Miyeon as she approached the woman, curving a calm smile. 

"I'm Imme, Miyeon's cousin," 

 

Then, Krystal and Imme exchanged a handshake. 

 

"Yes-yes, very nice to meet you too, Imme," Krystal said, smiling. "Are you... a boy or...?"

 

Hearing that question made Imme rubbed the back of her head, 

"No, I'm not... I'm a girl," 

 

 

Krystal quickly apologized, "Gosh! I'm very sorry! I thought... you're a boy, because... whoa, you're tall, handsome and your voice is... quite I mean, no offense, really sounds like a man," 

 

Amber laughed again. "Krys, I'm just right here, you know?" 

 

Krystal eyed Amber, 

"Yes, and I will not take back my words, Amber," 

 

"You know what, you weren't the first person to be mesmerized by her look, baby," replied Amber as she grabbed the recycle bags. "I was shocked too," 

 

Miyeon glanced at her cousin and giggled. 

"Now happy? Your idols just give you a compliment," 

 

 

Imme smiled timidly when both Krystal and Amber gazed at her. 

 

"Idols?" Krystal blinked repeatedly. "What do you mean?" 

 

As when Miyeon was closed to reveal, Shuhua came to Imme's defense. "I hope it's not too late for me to introduce myself, Mrs Krystal," she interrupted her roommate and walked to Krystal, sticking her right hand out. "I'm Shuhua, I came from Taiwan and sorry for my bad Korean," 


Krystal shook Shuhua's hand and nodded with a friendly smile. 

 

"Yes, it's okay. So nice to see you too, Shuhua," 

 

When the trio stood there in line, suddenly Krystal remembered something. 

 

"I gotta go and take my purse in the car," she spoke and looked at Amber. "And probably need to buy more foods too cause we have extra guests today," 

 

"Ah yes, I was also thinking about that, Krys," Amber replied. 

 

Krystal tapped Amber's arm and ready to go but paused her walk out of blue. She stared at Imme, "Will it be fine for you girls if I order pizza? Is there any of you allergic to it?" 

 

Amber heard her wife and chuckled. 

Meanwhile, Imme stared back at Krystal, not knowing what to say. 

 

"Sure, we love pizza, Mrs Krystal. But... why the sudden extra food? Is there any special occasion?" Miyeon answered on behalf of Imme and Shuhua. 

 

 

"Yes, we have, dear. Uhmm... Amber, I thought you... told them already???" Krystal said to clarify. "They're your students right???" 

 

Puzzled, Imme became more confused. 

 

 

"Hah," Amber sighed. "No, they're not, Krys. Maybe later I'll inform them about the occasion?" 

 

Krystal chinned down, "Great,"

"See you later, yeobo. Make sure the desserts are ready before 5 alright?" 

 

Amber thumbed up, "On it,"  

And the pretty Krystal disappeared from the kitchen and immediately made her way through the entrance door. 








Though they all were stupefied by Krystal's claim, Shuhua braved herself to ask Amber, who's started to unpackaged the wrapped food. 

"Amber nim, do you mind if... I want to know why did Mrs Krystal think we're your students?" 


"Oh..." Amber lifted her eyebrows. 

"Long story short, I am now pursuing a PhD in comparative literature and last year I finished my Master Degree with the same course too. Lucky me I guess, with the strong support of my best friend Wendy, I got the job as a tutor under her supervision. Technically, we can say I have two jobs, one in the city, and another one takes place in the country," she explained and offered each of them her home-made chocolate cookies inside the jar. 

She smiled when Miyeon gladly inserted her hand into the jar and took one piece of it. 

 

"That's really awesome!" Imme stated, copying Miyeon's act. 

 

Amber munched the cookie and furthered, "So, what are you guys doing?" 

Miyeon answered in her excited tone, 

"I'm sharing a room with Shuhua here at Kyunghee University, Amber-nim. I'm from College of Music while she's from College of Foreign Language and Literature," 

 

"Wow, a prestigious and... expensive school," said Amber, impressed. "What about you, Imme?" 

 

 

The tallest girl hummed as she replied awkwardly, "I went to Wharton School in Pennsylvania and graduated a year ago. Still jobless but now I'm developing my own website," 

 

"UPenn, you mean?" Amber asked, totally in of interest. 

 

Imme nodded, clamping her lips. 

 

 

Whistled to the air, Amber stared at the youngsters, "You guys must be the daughters of someone important in something industry? Because, as far that I know, the colleges and school you guys in are very very exclusive. Requires a lot of money too," 

 

Chuckling, Shuhua quickly denied as she raised her hand at Amber, " I got a scholarship, Amber-nim. I came from an average family, mum's a full-time housewife and my dad is working at a tech company in Taipei. I'm not as exclusive as them," she said, referring to the standing Imme and her cousin Miyeon. 

 

"Really?" Amber eyed the duo. 

 

Imme pocketed her hands as she sighed calmly then shook her head. "If you measure everything with wealth and life status, I bet we have the privilege. Otherwise, we are all the same average person, Amber-nim," 

 

"Yep, so true!" Miyeon claimed. 

 

 

 

"Your words remind me of my wife, Imme. She's a rich kid, but very down to earth," Amber mumbled as she tapped Imme's shoulder a few times. "By the way, my ears hurt when you guys called my name with that 'nim'. Just Amber, please. We're cool right?" 

 

Miyeon made an 'ok' sign then. 

"I'm cool!" 

 

"Great," Amber muttered and put on an apron. "Well... I'm sorry to ask this, but uhm--- I got a work to be done and you guys heard my wife. Desserts should be ready before five and I'm still out of idea on what to do. Any clear suggestions, kiddos?" 

 

Miyeon snapped her fingers.

"What about meringue or... hotteok?" 

 

Amber's face lighted. "Alright, seems fine to me. Let me check if I have the ingredients and extra aprons for you,"
She opened the upper drawer and rummaged her hands in it for a while, before taking out a few waterproof aprons. 

"I hope I do not burden any of you but in fact, the time is running fast, I am obliged to ask this from you," she murmured and passed the aprons to Miyeon, then Shuhua and Imme. "Before I forget, today the special occasion is, the day marked our 10th wedding anniversary. The rest of Life Literature Club will around to celebrate with us and I'm so honoured to tag you guys along," 

 

The trio's mouth slightly opened as they exchanged stares. 

 

"I can't believe this," Imme said, as she watched how Miyeon bound the apron onto her body. She tried to copy her but failed because she didn't have the experience on how to put the thing correctly. While struggling, she chuckled at Amber, " I'd never thought of being this lucky in my life, to be honest. Tracing you was easy but, getting details about Mrs Wendy was difficult. I used all the cables I knew and fortunately, my daddy's friend happened to know who she is," 

"And here I am, with my besties on your meaningful day. What's the odds of that, right?" 

 

Amber sniggered, 

"Honoured to be honoured, Imme," 

 

 

Shuhua finished trying the small rope around her waist and noticed the apron of Imme's. She had it untied and wobbly hung to her neck, making Shuhua let out a giggle. 

 

"What?" Imme looked at the youngest girl. 

 

"You'd never help in the kitchen, Imme? Because you got the apron in sideways," Amber chuckled. 

 

Imme checked herself, still clueless. 

Frustrated, she blew a sigh and admitted to it. 

"Yeah, my bad. I don't know anything about being helpful in the kitchen. Sorry," 

 

 

Miyeon laughed and got a little smack from Imme afterwards. She rubbed her head and pouted, making Shuhua was the person to laugh next. 

 

"It's alright, Imme," Amber said. "Maybe you go get ready in the living room? When you hear the bell rings or... someone knocks by the door, please just open it, okay?" 

 

Understood, Imme nodded and smiled brightly at Amber.