บทที่ 34

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to I Just by Red Velvet)

 

The entire house got up very early in the morning.

Amber and Dahyun helped each other in the kitchen in preparing heavy breakfast while Kyulkyung, Yebin and Krystal teamed up in packing the camping stuff in their spacious living room.

Right on 7 o'clock, Minkyung, accompanied by Wendy, Seulgi and Irene arrived at the unit, with their personal belongings. The group departed from the guardhouse 30 minutes later as the leader, Amber ensured there were nothing left behind.

 

"Whoa! Are you girls moving out from your house or what???" Key, the driver of the day exclaimed while helping his younger cousin to load all their stuff into the back of the van. "Amber, you too?!"

The tomboy just grinned, pointing at her backpack. "Of course, we'll be there for three days, Kibum. I don't know what are they bringing, but mine, I filled with extra food can, snacks and thick clothes,"

The diva man put his hands at the waist,

"You know the place is not an excluded place silly. We can just drive to any store nearby, no need to be so packed up with these things,"

 

"If we do that, let's just do the camping here then. The girls are so excited, Key. Especially Krystal, she never joins any outdoor activity," told Amber, closing the behind the van's door strongly.

 

Key eyed Amber with a smirk at his face, "Aigoo...Krystal can flee to the sky happily if she's here,"

 

"Hhm, enough with the talking. You should be ready, driver-man," Amber tapped Key's back. "Just tell me if you are sleepy or tired, we can switch turns,"

 

The guy made an 'okay' sign with his slim fingers.

They approached the other girls,who were gathering around, busy chatting and checking the stuff.

 

"As we planned, the younger girls will be with me and the newest members will be with Krystal. My uncle already there and he is waiting for us," she took a glimpse at Krystal then.

"You can give me a call for anything,"

 

Looking back at the boyish's eyes, she nodded as response.

 

 

 

 

***

 

"Ufhh! Uncle, slow down!" grunted Amber as Key's father as known as one of her favourite person pulled her skinny body to him and hugged her tight.

Krystal and the girls only laughed seeing Amber struggling to release herself from the old man's arms. While Key, he just shrugged looking at the funny scene.

 

"Daughter, why you're so thin???" Mr. Kim said, playing with her niece's half-long hair with a huge smile. Out of all his nieces and nephews, he admires Amber the most. Although her appearance is kindly different, in his eyes, she still cute and adorable. That's why he calls Amber as his 'daughter'.

 

"You know I'd never gained weight, Uncle. No matter how much I eat, my shape remains the same," muttered Amber, hugging back Mr. Kim by her side as they walked together to the entrance of the campsite.

 

"Wah! Lucky for you, unnie!" Yebin interrupted, joining her housemate's conversation with Mr.Kim. "I gained 5kg in just a week if I don't have time to work out,"

 

And Minkyung hummed, "Just see what kind of food you consumed, Beanie. Of course you'll get fat if ramen and fried chicken been included in your plate everyday,"

 

Yebin hissed as the others laughed at her sour face.

 

"Stop with body shaming and dieting, we are here to have fun, right? Everybody, please, no strict diet rule here for three days in row, okay?" Kyulkyung spoke and threw her arms around Yebin's tiny shoulder, trying to enlighten her mood back. "Don't worry Yebin-nie, what ever you consume here, I'll consume them too. Let's be fat together,"

 

They laughed again when Yebin and Minkyung stucked their tongues at each other.

 

 

Almost 10 minutes of their walk from the parking area, the group finally reached the gateway, as written beautifully there 'Welcome to Florence Glamping'. The youngest girls squalled excitedly while the eldest girls only put a satisfying smile on their faces.

Amber secretly glanced at her right side, checking on her girlfriend's reaction. She chuckled when the pretty face stayed expressionless as she used to be all the time.

She poked Krystal's back with her index finger then, "Why I think you are not happy to be here?"

 

"Huh?" Krystal shifted her head and gave Amber a perplex look.

 

"There, your face," the tomboy pointed straight at her flawless face, chuckling. "Come on, at least pretend to be happy. I did my best to get this place, you know?"

 

They involved in a quick staring moment before Key's voice interrupted them.

 

"Appa, why there's four tents? The girls can just share together for one tent," he asked his father with a confuse look.

Mr.Kim smiled first before ruffling his son's head.

"I want all of you to feel special. No need to stay in a crowded tent if there's more available, isn't it? You guys are so lucky because the owner here is my best friend. She said no need to worry much about the fees because she's letting you guys stay for free," told Mr. Kim.

 

All the girls' mouth went agape as the guy finished his words. They looked at each other, obviously surprised.

 

"Uncle, no..." he cut Amber's word immediately as the boyish tried to argue.

 

"Haish, you youngsters should enjoy your time since you still have it. And we the old folks can just provide anything we could to make you feel happy,"

"Amber, you should really use this time wisely with your girlfriend," he claimed, half-smiling and tapped her right shoulder with a proud face. Then, he shifted his face to Irene.

"Don't worry, I'm a very open minded guy, pretty girl.I'll understand if you two want to... you know, have fun time together?"

 

Irene and Amber awkwardly stared at each other before Key stepped in by clearing his throat.

"Appa! Remember what you taught me about not to into someone else's business? Now, it is the best time for you to do so, isn't it? Right, right?" he let out a nervous laugh then. When the group sanked in silence due to the sudden weird atmosphere, Key exhaled harshly and pulled his father out from them.

 

"We really need to talk about this, appa," he firmly stated while dragging Mr. Kim away. "I wish I never to tell you about this..." Key hissed in disappointment and gave Amber his apologetic grin when they exchanged glances.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So..." Yebin began, breaking the cold silence as she clamped her hands together. "Uhm, actually I kinda confuse about how we're going to sleep tonight since there's 4 tents available,"

"That means three tents going to fit for two persons and there will be one tent to fit for 3 people. What if we draw lots?" 

 

"Yeah, nice idea," Minkyung said, snapping her fingers.

 

"Sure, draw lots always solve our problem," Dahyun added, joining Minkyung and Yebin to enlighten the situation.

 

 

"I'm going to stay with Krystal," Amber's voice suddenly heard between the fuss as they were plucking the pieces of the papers individually.

Krystal quickly gazed at Amber as her face slowly turned to rosy colour.

She tried hard controlling her rapid heartbeats when she felt all the eyes were too focused at them both.

 

"Are you okay, Krys? I hope you can deal with me if I snore," Amber joked and flashed a bright smile when they looked at each other.

Another silence evolved between them until Krystal shyly nodded.

 

 

 

 

***

 

"Ouchhhhhhhh!" Key whinned in pain when Amber smacked his head from the back and instantly caressed the sore spot repeatedly. "What the hell?!"

 

"Why you told Uncle?!" Amber asked furiously. "It should be a secret, you fool!"

 

Key grunted again as he placed his on the small stool, "Jeez... you merciless llama! No need to be so secretive, okay?? Sooner or later, they'll find out about you two!"

He blew a sigh and carefully used the can opener, before pulling up the hard surface and poured all the water out.

"You can't hide it anymore, Ber," then shifted back to see Amber's face.

"I'm sorry for breaking our promise but my dad would not stop bugging me if I did not tell him about your current status,"

 

Amber fought back, "Was that necessary to reveal what is my current status??? Seriously, Key?"

 

"Hey-hey, cool down," Key tried to sooth his cousin as he pulled Amber's hand and dragged her to sit beside him. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to... tell exactly that you have a love life. He asked me first, who are you meeting in campus and I said you are meeting girls and never been across with boys and he asked me further either you like girls that way or not and I said you like girls in different way, and then," he paused, taking a deep breath and continued, "He made me surprised when he guessed that you're into girls-romantically," 

 

"Oh my..." Amber slapped her own forehead afterwards. "I think I know why Uncle able to guess correctly about me liking girls, that way,"

 

"Hurh? What do you mean???" Key immediately stared at Amber. When the younger still whinning alone, he used his left shoulder to push Amber's right shoulder. "Yah, why? Tell me what is it???"

 

"Kibum, I incidentally left my diary in the room that I stayed before, in your house. Haizzz, why.. I am so stupidddd,"

 

"Yah, then what you wrote there??"

 

Amber slapped her forehead again before replying, "Of course love confession, Key. Of course all about love!"

That made Key sighed along with the latter-disappointed.

He lazily inserted a big portion of canned pineapple into a big jug, stirring them together with the soda liquid and muttered, "There's nothing we can do now, Ber. I can not save you anymore because you were so careless about it,"

 

"Yeah... I can't even think what I should do to cover this..." Amber mumbled under her weak breath. She just sat there watched Key prepared their drinks for dinner and kept shut from saying anything to her older cousin.

 

Looking at the boyish's gloomy face, Key said, "Don't cover it anymore, Amber. Just be honest to yourself and to them, too, will you? Like I said, sooner or later, they'll find out about it,"

 

"I know..." replied Amber, scratching the upper part of her right eyebrow. "Can I just act casual with everyone then? Let's pretend that Uncle didnt say that,"

 

"No, you can't and we can't," Key informed, finishing his task by putting all the ice from the plastic into the large container. "Nobody can undo what they said, my beloved llama. I will always say sorry for what my dad has said but maybe it is the time for you to... let yourself out and... try to depend on others...too?"

 

"How can I depend on them?"

 

Key tightened the top of the container and answered directly, "Make them believe in you that you want them to believe it,"

 

"WHAT?"

 

"I mean, you have to assure them, Ber. You are not perfect too, and you need to be loved by others as well. I strongly believe that they will definitely understand if you reveal the truth,"

 

"You mean... about me being gay and... me dating Krystal?" Amber stated, staring down to the ground.

 

Key stopped and looked at Amber then. He sat himself beside Amber again and gripped her right shoulder gently. "You know more than I do about them, Ber. After all this time, they stay with you, laugh and smile along, I don't think they're going to dislike you for who you are. Maybe at first, they'll find it hard to understand but if you never give up to explain, I'm sure they will,"

 

Amber nodded as they exchanged glances.

"I hope so,"

 

Key curved a little smile and messed up the tomboy's hair. "I'm always here okay? If they can't accept it, I will be the only who stay by your side. Remember that,"

 

"Alright then. Thank you for staying with me all this time, Key my brother," she said and gently elbowed Key by his left side.

 

"Most welcome, Amber my sis-bro," Key replied.

 

 

 

 

***

 

(Listening to Only U by SNSD TaeTiSeo)

 

It was a special first night of their camping experience. They have succeed with the planned schedule when they finished the wood sight-seeing and had a great time at the waterfall during the daylight and completed the first day with food gathering.

The girls separated to the different tents after they filled their stomachs with grilled meat, sausages and meatballs, which prepared exclusively by Mr. Kim, Key's father. Wendy, Seulgi and Irene decided they should stay together while Yebin with Minkyung and Dahyun with the Chinese girl, Jieqeong or known with her Korean name- Kyulkyung.

As everyone already got into their own space, Amber sighed. She slowly stepped into the luxurious tent, hoping she's going to be alright, although she did not know why she felt that way.

 

"Are you sleepy?" she voiced out, watching Krystal tapping the pillow with her palm repeatedly.

 

"Mmm not really," the brunette casually replied and then looked at Amber. "I'm hella tired so now I just want to lay down my back,"

 

"O-oh, rest well," muttered Amber, braced up to take another side. She was hesitated to begin a conversation so despite of saying anything else, she lies down and placed her head on the smooth pillow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Krystal POV

 

I recalled I'd never feel like this before.

 

I used to lay down next to Irene, Wendy and Seulgi.

And my heart never pound this fast.

 

What should I do?

 

I'm not that sleepy and not that tired though.

 

Is she already asleep?

 

 

"Krys," she called out my name.

 

"Huh?"

 

"I'm sorry,"

 

I opened my eyes and shifted my face, "Why all of sudden?"

 

Amber's side profile is quite good for me. I don't know why I can't stop staring at her until she caught me off guard as she turned to her left side, facing me directly.

Another heart-pounding session began and that's a moment I thought I'm going to die.

 

"I don't know... how to.. be honest, with them," she muttered, half-whispering. Our eyes locked to each other as she furthered more, "Krys, I think I'm not ready,"

 

Her words stunned me for somehow. Wrinkling my bare forehead, I said back, "What do you mean?"

 

She paused and released a slight sigh then,

"This. Us,"

 

Did she just...?

 

"I'm still afraid if the girls will hate me, or dislike you once they know this," Amber tilted up her face to see the upper part of our big tent, which is a see-though roof.

We can stare up to the beautiful night sky, stars as our sleep companies and there's nothing more I wish I have at this moment, other than Amber.

Her presence next to me is the most precious, more than those aesthetic view above us.

 

"You were right about me anyway. I maybe look like someone who already move on from her past but still, I have that coward side, which nobody could see but you,"

 

I joined her looking up, gazing my eyes to the miracle sight then I replied calmly,

"I'm not going to force you, Amber. I understand how hard it is for you and perhaps, its better for us to stay like this. Just one thing for sure, I'm---here...for you,"

 

I felt her warm hand was slowly enveloping with mine.

 

"Thank you, Krys. Thank you for liking me back," she confessed, eyes still at the dark sky.

 

I glanced at her side and managed to see tears were running through her right cheek.

 

And that was my first time too, letting my own tears flow as I stare at someone else's tears.

 

 

Amber,

 

How do you do this?

 

Just how... was the way that made me love you this much?