บทที่ 55

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Beautiful Soul Cover by Boyce Avenue) 



"What a great morning to start the day!" Miyeon exclaimed as she looked up to the sky. "Imme, can I drive?" 

The taller girl glanced at her temporarily before throwing the keys. 
"This baby we're taking today is one of the hottest in my collection, Cho Miyeon. Don't let her screech the road," 

Miyeon mocked back,
"Fussy! We're not going to war, and for your information, I am a fine driver!" 

Imme sighed in annoyance then, 
"Who cares?" 

Miyeon glared at her older cousin, before getting into the driver's seat and switched on the super engine. 


Shuhua held her laugh seeing the two bickered light a kid. She already at the back seat when Imme entranced the car, taking the seat next to her. 

"Today, that nut head volunteered to be my slave-driver. So I'm a method actor, I want it to be real," Imme grinned, slamming the door carefully. "Do you mind?" 


"Not at all. Instead, I started to feel happy," Shuhua joked. 




Miyeon huffed, hissing in disappointment as she heard those from her best friend. She fixed the seat and rearview window before she asked, "Everyone ready?"

Imme, thumbed up and tapped the driver's seat.
"We're good," 


The Range Rover marched out from the parking lot then. 





The journey to the unknown place filled with wide-smiles, laugh out loud and definitely a few sessions of mouth war between Imme and Miyeon, since they can't let each other be in peace, even for a minute. Shuhua, as the witness, can't help herself. Throughout the road, she's happy seeing the incredible bond of the duo cousins. They can be enemies and sisters, where sometimes Miyeon bored Imme with unnecessary questions, while the latter attacked her back with sets of evil jokes, mostly about Miyeon's past boyfriends. 


"Imme, I think... we are... lost?" Miyeon said when the car stopped at the junction. She tried to roam her eyes around, searching for the significant golden building as Wendy mentioned, but she couldn't find any. 

Imme copied her cousin's act and unlocked her cellphone. She remembered the contact Wendy gave yesterday and without wasting time, she dialled the number right away, then signalled Miyeon the driver to stop at the side of the street. 

Shuhua, wanting to help out, also moved her eyeballs around, wondering where in the world is the golden building they're looking for. 


"Hello?" Imme greeted the person from another line. 


Miyeon pulled the handbrake and slowed down the volume of the radio on, while Shuhua was following Imme's voice. 


"I'm Imme, Professor Wendy sent me this number," the boyish politely uttered and furthered, "Sorry to disturb you, sir... But we're looking for... Kim's Wonder Farm. According to her, we should find the golden building first, but we are not sure where are we right now, sir," 


"At the junction, just passed the small town, sir," 

Miyeon turned her head to the back. 


"Ooh.. if that doesn't burden you, sir. We don't mind," Imme said. 


Shuhua looked at the boyish suspiciously. 


"Alright, I'm giving our location to you now, sir. Thank you very much, " Imme told and hung up. 




Miyeon raised her eyebrows at her cousin, "So? What do we do now?" 


Imme opened her What's App and connected with the new number. "This kind man said he's coming to us. He's going to show the way," 

Shuhua tried to ask. 
"Who is he?" 


Imme clicked the send button before she looked at Miyeon and Shuhua simultaneously, lifting her eyebrows at them. 

 


"He said he is Wendy's beloved husband," she revealed and saw the best friends had their mouths widen. 









***

(Listening to Wide Awake by Katy Perry) 


Her keen eyes were looking sharply at the view in front of them once she stepped on the solid ground. Never been in the countryside before, the boyish made her way to the front gate of the wide field. She read the huge letters on the signboard, 

"You're at Kim's. World's Best Strawberries Are Here," 


The man who led the way voiced out, 
"You have to walk about a hundred metres from here, kid. The house is right in the centre of the place," 


Imme turned at him then. The wind blew her short hair gracefully and whoever seeing into her light brown eyes would say, "This is one fine wonderful good looking creature," 

She smiled and thanked the man, half-bowing. 


"Is that okay for you, girls?" she observed Shuhua and Miyeon, who are her true companies from the start. 

 

"Well, my mistake, I have heels," Miyeon whined. "Let me change my shoes first," 



"God, you are so spoiled," Imme snorted and then looked at the youngest girl. "We're not even participating in racing game but this germ is already overreacting," she chuckled together with Shuhua afterwards. 

"Come on, you don't need to run, Cho Miyeon," she added, giving out her hand. "Don't worry, I'll catch you if you're about to fall," 


Miyeon sighed and held Imme's hand on the spot. They started their walk after showing respect and the act of gratitude again to the man or known as Wendy's life partner. 


Shuhua, being on Imme's left side, hugged herself together since the wind was blowing steadily and she felt a bit cold. 


Meanwhile, Imme, who was walking in the middle, didn't let go of her cousin's hand- continued enjoying the windy weather and the calm sight of the farm. Sometimes, she glanced at Shuhua's profile side when the latter did not see in her way. She wanted to ask if she's feeling good but cancelled the intention after seeing Shuhua's little smile. Imme bet, Shuhua must be into the beautiful scenery and that's why she seemed just fine on her own. 



Their steps ended when they caught a figure of someone, with the brown gardening hat- was planting something at the front yard of the bungalow. 


Gazing at each other with a smile on their faces, Imme muttered, 








"That must be Amber,"








 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***


(Playing Lost Stars Cover by Minkyung)




Imme, the tallest among the three greeted the person once they reached, accurately in front of the big-majestic designated house. 

The person stopped digging the soil and looked up.



"Yes?" 


Shuhua stared patiently when the hat being lifted by her dirty hand until she can see the person's face, entirely. 


None of the trio able to say a thing, as they had been in petrified to the ground and their lips sealed tight. 


"W--we..." Imme was searching for the proper words to utter, eventually stuttered a lot. 


The deep and husky voice was heard, 
"What can I help you with, kids? Looking for someone?" 


Miyeon blinked repeatedly, began to revive the leftover memory living in her head- wondering either that person is the one they've been wanting to meet all this time. She let out a question bluntly then, 

"Are you... Amber???" 



That person's eyes were gotten small, as she watched them closely. She reluctantly said, 




"Yes... I am Amber," 




Imme restrained herself from screaming in happiness but she slightly jumped in joy. 

 

 

 

Amber was frowning hard at the latter but she did not want to be blunt too, so she asked, 

"May I know, who are you guys?" 


Shuhua looked at Imme, who's having a bright expression. 


"Oh! Very sorry," Imme quickly apologized. She stuck out her hand to Amber then, "Good morning, Amber-nim. I'm Imme, your big fan," 


"Big fan of mine?" Amber shook Imme's hand and pointed at herself. 


"What she meant was..." Miyeon butted in, "Actually, Professor Wendy sent us here," and then she glared at her older cousin. 



Upon the mention of the name of one of her best friends, Amber finally was catching up what Imme's trying to say. 


"Wendy sent you guys here? For what?" Amber fixed her hat and stared politely at Miyeon. 


Shuhua, the quiet girl, realizing that was the great moment, hurriedly squeezed her hand into the sling bag and took out something thick, before showing it to Amber. 


"We are wondering... Amber-nim, if... we may know more from you, about this diary," although she was tripping in her words, Shuhua forced herself to smile. 




The 38 years old woman's expression drastically changed once she saw the black-leathered diary that Shuhua was holding, below her eyes' level. 

Giving a frown glimpse at Imme and Miyeon, she took it from Shuhua. 



Amber had some time flipping the pages of her old diary before letting out chuckles. 

"I got it now, kids," she stated, still having a fishy smile. "You have read my stories, right?


Nodding, Imme replied, "Yes, we had," 



"So, what's the issue? Did you guys enjoy reading it?" Amber questioned. 



Imme muttered, 

"I want to know what happened to you, Amber-nim," she eyed Amber's sweaty face. "And Krystal," 





The half-looking woman gazed into Imme's eyes, perplexed. 

"That story has ended, kiddo. What else I could say?" 




Miyeon's turn to voice out, "We don't think that way, Amber-nim. My cousin here is the one who found this diary and she's the main person behind our searching, after you," 



"You guys after me, just for... this stuff?" Amber said in disbelief tone and later earned a kid-like nod from Imme, Shuhua and Miyeon. 

"Prove me wrong, kiddo," she shifted her attention at Imme. "You're wasting your time chasing after the ending story, which, clearly came to the end already," 



"I am not wrong, Amber-nim," Imme denied humbly. "As you can see, we're familiar, even though we don't know each other," 


Amber heaved a sigh then. 


"What are you searching for in this story, old spot? Up to personal reasons or commitments?" Amber bored the tallest figure again with her curious question. "I thought nobody would think, this story is quite interesting," 


"Well, I do, Amber-nim," Shuhua suddenly interrupted and her accent caught the oldest's ears. "We all are very interested in your story," she continued. 
"Krystal, your friends of Life Literature Club, all that mentioned have made your story is bloody interesting, Amber-nim. We are after you because we are curious," 


Imme nodded, "Yes, we are very curious about the ending, Amber-nim. Is there really no chance for you to fight for your love? Did you give up easily, just like that?" 


"And did Krystal really let you go away, without saying any goodbye to her?" Miyeon added. 






Mentally, Amber was feeling proud of the girls' courage but she wanted more testification. Despite asking another question, she chuckled again as looking at those three. 




"Applause for your effort," Amber said. "Maybe, there's something good from you guys, that made my Wendy was convinced to give the details of my whereabout, so... apparently, you are my special guests today," 


Imme slightly furrowed when Amber gripped her right shoulder tightly and continued to smile. 


"Join me for dinner?" she politely asked the girls. 


Shuhua looked at Imme, and Imme looked at Shuhua back, before she exchanged another look with Miyeon. 



"If you are my big fan, kiddo, you probably know I love to serve people, delicious food. Am I right?" Amber sniggered, tapping Imme's shoulder repeatedly. "So, what with these tight faces, everyone?" she glanced at Miyeon and Shuhua then. 


"Pleasure, our pleasure, Amber-nim," Miyeon flashed a smile for Amber and clung to Imme's right arm. "Say something, stupid. She's being nice to us," she whispered to her cousin. 


Snapped out from her zoning out moment, Imme quickly bowed down her head. 

"I'm flattered. We... are very, very glad that you asked," she said in hesitance. 


Amber nodded and invited them into her house. 

"Alright, suit yourself, kids," she put the watering pot aside, started to lead Imme, Shuhua and Miyeon, straight to the balcony first. 




"Amber-nim," Shuhua addressed once they're almost into the bungalow. 

"Yes?" Amber halted her steps and turned around, lifting her eyebrows at the Taiwanese. 



"Are you living alone out of here?" 



Both Imme and Miyeon had their attention at Amber's face. 


Putting her hands on the waist, the short-haired woman nodded. 

"Yeah... all alone by myself, dear. Since my uncle left this farm for me, I have to work hard to cover everything," she explained. 


Imme intruded, "So... you're literally, alone?" 


Amber nodded again. 



The handsome Imme hid her disappointed look and gave Amber her pretending smile. 



Shuhua also was a bit disheartened so she decided to not asking another question and followed the oldest figure obediently, without saying a word.