บทที่ 33

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to All Night by Astro) 

 

Yebin pushed the cubicle's door slightly when she confirmed the two talking friends left the washroom. 

 

Krystal unnie and... Amber unnie are dating? How's that possible? 

 

Her brain furthered another curious thoughts until she decided, the other girls must know. She sent a short message in their assignment groupwork's chat, asking them to meet later. 

 

They gathered, where only Minkyung, Kyulkyung and Dahyun came to the campus small lake. As the breaking news being told, the oldest girl smiled, shaking off her head several times. 

"Unnie, I'm serious, this is not a joke," Yebin said. 

 

"I know, it just... you are overeacting, Kang Yebin. What's with that face? You don't like them together?" 

 

Yebin sighed, "I'm not sure. It's not like that, I don't hate them, unnie. But more feels like disappointed," she spoke with her shoulders curved down. 

Kyulyung wrinkled her forehead, 

"Why?" 

 

"Because... they didn't let us know at first. We are housemates, and very close to Amber unnie. Shouldn't she tell us about this thing earlier than someone else?" 

 

"Oh... Now I know why you're so upset about them dating," Dahyun muttered, looking at her same age friend. "Minkyung unnie already mentioned about this, right? We already expected Amber unnie and Krystal unnie like each other very much. Don't be sad, Yebin-ah, maybe sooner or later we'll be informed," 

 

"I know..." Yebin still pouting. "But I wish Amber unnie will be honest about her feelings. She shouldn't avoid my question before, she should just give the answer straight," 

 

Minkyung touched Yebin's right arm, "We don't even know when they start dating, officially. Maybe just a few minutes before you heard it from Krystal unnie and Wendy unnie's conversation, who knows?" 

She tapped the junior's back, tried to enlighten her, "Give it a go, will you? Remember Amber unnie's sad story about her past love? She is still recovering, I guess. I'm hundred percent sure, she is preparing herself to tell us directly about this, okay?" 

 

Dahyun and Kyulkyung hummed along as they took turn to tap Yebin's tiny shoulder. 

 

"So you guys... don't freak out?" suddenly she questioned, staring at the faces one by one. 

 

"Why should we?" Dahyun retorted, frowning. 

 

"This is the first time in my life knowing someone close to me is actually... not straight," Yebin told. 

 

"You're not alone at least, it is my first time too," Kyulkyung added, tearing the snack's plastic and shifted her eyes to Yebin's, "Why you care so much? This is a brand new world, Kang Yebin, we can do everything and we can be anything. What's with non gender bender couple? I've been searching on why people are banning it, because love should be equal to everyone, right?" 

 

"Yeah... Equal and fare, people go insane and keep debating on this human rights, that human rights and bla bla bla," Dahyun said as she released unsatisfied sigh. "I think if animals can talk, we're going to fight with them too," 

 

"Eh why?" Kyulkyung raised an eyebrow. 

 

"They're going to fight for their rights, for not to be eaten by human," Dahyun replied. 

 

Minkyung clapped her hands, laughing out loud at the pale skin girl. "GOD THAT IS HILARIOUS!" 

She stole a piece of Kyulkyung's snacks before furthering more, half-laughing, "Dahyunnie, I think you fit to be a vegan. Go fight for animal's right," 

 

"I'm not going to fight for anyone else's rights. What's the use of it anyway? Can't get it," Dahyun snorted back, drinking a liquid from her juicebox. "Although Amber unnie had already explained to me for trilion times about this, my mind still empty," 

 

"Heesh... you," Yebin commented, pursuing her lips at Dahyun. "You should really take special course about this. The reason we live in harmony in this century because of our ancestors' fights, you know? If the world war still going on until now, probably none of us could eat or sleep peacefully," 

 

"Hahh... another lecture just began..." Dahyun whined as she covered both ears with her tiny palms. "Please, let my brain rest, I can not take this anymore," 

 

The group laughed together as Yebin pretended to be angry and smacked Dahyun's head in playful way. They continued teasing and making jokes of each other, assuming the main topic has come to the end. 

Secretly, Yebin still has a tiny bit of frust on Amber and Krystal's newly found relationship. 

But she still hope, sooner or later, she will get an explanation from the older girl. No matter how long she needs to wait, she'll be willing to do so. 

 

 

 

*** 

(Listening to Just One Day by BTS) 

 

Amber's POV 

 

Her confession astounded me last night. 

I'd never expect her to like me the way I do, or even to imagine we could share a kiss, under the street lights, in the middle of the night. 

There's no precise word to describe how afraid I was to admit my feeling to her. I'd just can't stop thinking of what Minah said when I confessed long time ago. I could see Minah's fear everytime my eyes met Krystal's. 

Only when Krystal pointed out how coward I was about my past- I was stupefied. 

How could I equate her with Minah? 

Although it was clear she has returned the same feeling on me. 

 

I was in the line, queing to buy my lunch in cafeteria when Irene approached me from the back. I greeted her like usual but she only gave me a sharp stare. 

To be honest, after Krystal's deadliest eye stares, I admit Irene's gaze is one of the scariest in the world too. 

I wonder either that habit to make people quiver in fear runs from generation to generation. Probably their grandmas had the similar cold and frightening eyes. 

 

"Irene-sshi, " I tried to smile as I made a slight bow to her. 

 

"Are you alone?" she asked. 

 

"Aa.. yes, today I walk alone. Yebin don't have any class today," 

 

"What about... your girlfriend? She's also eating alone there," I saw she smirked at me, giving a signal to look at the table which just a few meters away from the spot we're standing. 

I didn't know why suddenly I felt the blood rushing to my face and the cool air became hot too. 

 

Scratching my head awkwardly, I only grinned like stupid. 

"I will... join her later then," I muttered back. 

 

The Irene woman laughed when she tapped my shoulder, "You sure know what to do," but then her tone changed, almost sound like a whisper to me, "You are her first love, Amber-sshi. That girl sitting there never experience something like this with someone else. I maybe sound like a weirdo but Krystal is my sister-like, you know? So of course I care very much about her," then she smiled. 

 

"I...I.. am not good at this, but I...'ll try," I had a difficult time to hide my own timid face so I keep scratching my eyebrows, trying to look away in the meantime. 

Out of nowhere, a question emerged from my brain. 

"Wait... how do you know....??? About us???" 

 

She tapped my shoulder again, but this time quite stronger than before. I was very sure Irene's laugh almost as same as wild banshee in the wood. 

"Heeshhhhh! Words travel fast, okay?" she said, keeping herself from laughing and continued more, "If Wendy knows something, Seulgi and I, definitely must be informed too!" 

 

Ah. That Wendy. 

I remember that they are South Korea Gossip Girls. 

 

"Don't be too secretive, Amber-sshi. It will be a way more better if you share your relationship's development with us. I'm well-equipped to be your love doctor," Irene joked and linked her arm with mine. I looked at her but she only had eyes at the prepared food. 

I used the chance to glance at Krystal on the other side and noticed she was busy with her cellphone. 

"Irene-sshi," 

 

She lifted up her face, "Yes?" 

 

"Do you... think... I'm going to... make her happy?" my voice was barely audible since there's many students also lining up to buy afternoon food. 

I wanted to repeat my words again but Irene quickly exclaimed, "You are the most promising candidate for our Soo Jung, Amber-sshi. 4 years before your encounters, she was the world's most lonely girl. She appeared only if Jessica was there, and we barely know anything about her. When you showed up, I noticed her icy character slowly melting day by day. Can we say how grateful we are to be part of the story?" Irene's smile for somehow brightened my mood. It is not easy to see her famous beautiful smile, so I guess I'm quite lucky to witness that for myself. 

 

"But you know, how terrible I was too. I did horrible thing once," I said, being straighforward. 

Irene sighed a smile as she tighten our linked arms. 

"Here we go again," she muttered. "If the mistakes we did on the past appear as tattoo on our foreheads, we're not going to live in peace, aren't we?" 

"Anywhere we go, people will only see our mistakes, not our charms," 

 

I began to think of what she said. 

 

"Amber-sshi, we are all lucky since there's no sort of mistakes tattoo on our foreheads. That means, we have to forget them, live on, and keep moving forward. Like how easy you are on forgiving others, you should forgive yourself too. You should give another chance and leave everything behind," added Irene. 

"Come on, your past may forever haunt you but there's future waiting right in front of you. You can't undo what you've done, but you can still work hard for what's next. Hello Amber, you're living in present day," 

 

Absolutely, Irene had a point. 

 

"Aigoo, I'd never expect you to be really good in this," I . "You suddenly sound like a sociology professor," 

 

"That's why never to underestimate people. You'll never know what they're good at," she retorted. 

 

I chuckled then, 

"So after this I'll go to you for life advice," 

 

"Oh I will be glad if you do so, President Amber of Life Literature Club," she answered, smiling again. 

 

"O-oh? You know about our club?" 

 

She playfully smacked my head, saying, "I'm one of the member, you idiot. How could you forget that huh? Yebin invited three of us personally, you know? We are in charge of food for the campfire this weekend though," 

 

I slapped my forehead automatically, grunted in frustration. 

"Right-right! We do have campfire this weekend," I murmured. "Fortunately I meet you here, Irene-sshi. I'm in charge for the venue, I must contact my uncle as soon as possible," 

 

"Yes please do it sooner or someone might get sulk," 

 

I mentally facepalmed myself as I recalled what Yebin has asked yesterday.

After I bought sandwich and steamed bun, I passed them to Irene to give to Krystal since I was rushing to bus stop, to meet Key at his bar and didn't even realize I already skipped my lunch. 

I didn't even have time to greet Krystal as I marched out from the cafeteria. 

But I hope, Irene would smartly delivered my words to her. 

 

 

 

*** 

 

Krystal glanced her eyes on the screen of cellphone. She reckoned to receive any text from Amber but it's been hours, the tomboy girl still left her hanging by the sudden boredom in her own space. 

She made up her mind and finally rang Amber. 

 

"Where... are you actually?" Krystal asked, as her heart was racing when her lover's voice greeted her back. 

 

"I'm with Key, we're still discussing about this weekend's campfire,

 

"Oh..." somehow she was disappointed to know Amber has been busy out there. Despite of saying anything else, she replied shortly, "Okay, see you later then," 

The person in the other line paused a moment before asking calmly, 

"Are you mad at me?

 

"Why should I?" Krystal shot back as she rose from her bed and directed herself out of the room. "You.. should really know I'm not going to sleep before I see your face, Amber Liu. You let Irene unnie being clingy to you and you ignored me today at cafe. What kind of partner are you huh?" 

 

She heard a chuckle from Amber. 

"This ain't funny. Let's hang up, I have work to do," she claimed, depressed. 

 

"Yah Jung Soo Jung, not even a day yet we officially dating and now you're being possesive already. What kind of partner are you actually?" Amber's deep voice said. 

 

Krystal scoffed before she grabbed her favourite mug from the cabinet and poured water into it. "I'm the caring kind of partner, not a senseless llama like you," she hissed.

 

"Nah, why in the world you mad at me, Krys?

 

"Because you are stupid idiot llama face," she cursed. "Now I'm regretting to date you for real," 

 

Amber laughed then. 

 

"Alright-alright, I get it. I suppose to give you a call or send you a message isn't it? I should not leave you hanging alone there by yourself, am I right Krys?

Krystal sanked in silence, trying to hold a smile. She tried hard to put a straight face as she stated, "Finally, you know what you should do," 

"Stupid," 

 

"Just a little bit more time, Krys. I'm almost done here, okay?

 

She just hummed as response. 

 

"Do you want something by the way? Mexican bun or peanut butter bun?" Amber asked, then has been interrupted by Key's voice at the back, 

"HELLO KRYSTAL! DON'T WORRY I WILL MAKE SURE YOUR AMBER IS SAFE FROM ANOTHER WOMAN!

And the boyish fought back, "Yah, be quiet! I'm talking here!

 

The long hair figure giggled when she heard the cousins were quarreling through the phone. Taking a sip of the plain water, Krystal said, "No thank you. I just want you to come home safely, Amber," 

 

"WOOHOOO!" Key whistled excitedly and next Krystal heard a thud. She can't hold a laugh anymore afterwards, crackled herself while leaning close to the kitchen's counter island. 

 

"Jesus, this Key is so irritating! I'm sorry Krys, I'm going to hang up now, okay?" Amber's voice turned soft at the last part. 

 

"Okay," Krystal said, half laughing. 

The conversation ended and still she can't wipe off the wide smile from her face. She locked the phone screen and turned her body around. 

 

"OH MY GOD!" she screamed on top of her lungs when Yebin who's having a black mask at her face was standing statically, staring at her confusedly. 

Krystal inhaled and exhaled a few times as she calmed down, "Yebin-ah, you gave me a heart attack!" 

 

The tiny girl eventually realized she had the mask on when her fingers ran through her own face. She immediately apologized, "Omo! Sorry-sorry! I thought I put off this mask already! Sorry unnie!" 

 

"Haishhh..." Krystal blew a sigh. "Make sure after this you check out your own face before going out somewhere. I was really surprised as hell," 

 

Yebin grinned, tagging along her apologetic smile. 

"Really sorry about that..." 

"Unnie, by any chance, err.. do you know.. where is Amber unnie? I want to call her but afraid if she's meeting someone important outside," 

 

"O-oh," suddenly Krystal felt she wanted something warm to drink, so she paced back to cabinet. "I just talked to her, she's meeting Key," 

 

"About the campfire thing?" Yebin guessed. 

 

"I think so," Krystal shortly replied while tearing the instant coffee sachet. She reheat the electric kettle and looked at Yebin again. "Do you want coffee? I can make it for you too," 

 

The younger just shook her head and smiled. She sat on the bar stool, putting her elbows on the counter island before asking directly, "Don't you have something else to give to me, Krystal unnie? I'm really curious what's going on between you and Amber unnie,"

 

Krystal was frozen and speechless at the same time. She eyed Yebin carefully. 

"We--I mean--Amber and I--are-- still confirming something about us," to release those words from was hard but Krystal still acting cool. 

"Why?" 

 

"Unnie, you can't lie, you know?" Yebin stated. "I'm sorry for getting into your business but... I've incidentally heard your conversation with Wendy unnie in the ladies this morning," 

 

The older girl's eyes widen in instant.

She growled, mentally punched herself at that time.  

Haishhh... Surely washroom is not a good place for public announcement! I was right about that!

 

"It's okay unnie if you don't feel comfortable to talk about it. Maybe Amber unnie will explain to me later," Yebin said in polite tone.

Upon hearing that from Yebin, Krystal was taken aback. Not because about the latter going to receive Amber's explanation about their relationship but based from Yebin's point of view, Krystal felt she's not being responsible and truthful. It is also the sign that the girl still has no trust on her yet although they've known each other for almost 2 years already. 

Staying under the same roof and have been eating together in the same dining table for every weekend, Krystal wondered, is it possible for her to explain to Yebin? 

 

 

"No, you should not think like that," she began. Facing each other directly, Krystal continued although she was clearly hesitated at first to keep going. 

"I know, I'm not good in explaining things like Amber but, I hope you can understand, Yebin-ah. It was hard for me before to admit my feeling to her. We were like heaven and earth, where it was always her to surrender in every argument we had. That is her charm that made me... fallen for her," Krystal curved a little smile, quite embarassed. 

Yebin smiled too as she cooed, "Woo~~~" 

"Everyone loves that cool unnie," 

 

Krystal slightly nodded her head in agreement. 

"We are still new.... Ah no, for me this relationship is new, Yebin. I still don't know what should I do, or what I need to do as--her girlfriend. I'm sure I sound so stupid right now but please, just trust me that we are... still figuring things out, together, okay? Can you?" 

 

Yebin stared at Krystal and chuckled then. 

"Confirmed. Amber unnie did change you, unnie. You're totally different from the day one I met you. Remember, when you bought the fridge? I was surprised by how you behaved back then," 

 

Krystal whinned, "Arghh, don't make me remember that again! I wish that would not happen!" 

Yebin laughed, 

"I won't ever forget how cool Amber unnie was too. She shutted you with her mature side, right?" 

The older kept whinning as she ruffled her own hair, displeased with Yebin's sudden flashback time. 

 

"Haish! Just please forget that, Yebin-ah! I was a fool!" 

 

They bursted into loud laugh together when the smaller girl didn't give up teasing Krystal about her old arrogant and shady version. 

Almost an hour passed and they still exchanging stories, laughters and smiles- never mind with the fact that once, Yebin has felt like a total stranger everytime Krystal joined the group, although just for eating time. 

 

"You like her that much, Krystal unnie?" finally Yebin pointed out a precious question. 

 

Knowing that Yebin will never give up digging about her dating Amber, Krystal only smiled timidly at the latter. 

 

"Aigoo, I'd never see you as bright as now, unnie," Yebin mumbled, grinning from ear to ear. "So now, Amber unnie and you are officially dating. Do you have any plan?" 

 

"So far... nothing comes in mind. But when I saw her being nice and letting other girl being clingy with her, I thought I want to be honest and tell her that I don't like it. I want Amber to... let only me being clingy to her," Krystal confessed although her shyness meter was rising high. "Am I weird?" 

 

Yebin tapped her hand, "Of course, you're not, unnie! That what we called, a healthy jealousy," 

 

"A... what??" 

 

"A healthy jealousy," Yebin repeated. 

 

"I don't think---I'm jealous, I'm just..." Krystal tried to argue but she was out off alibi. 

 

"Then what it is?" Yebin teased, lifting her left eyebrow. 

 

"I don't know," Krystal stated and surrendered. 

 

Laughing again, Yebin interrupted, "Just admit it please. You are jealous when Amber unnie with some other girl, Krystal unnie. But it is really okay to be jealous, you know? A healthy jealousy always leads to... sweet moments," 

 

She stared at Yebin seriously. 

".....you're not.... being excessive...right?"

 

The younger raised her hand, like she's ready to take an oath, "I swear I'm not! Believe me unnie, I read somewhere that jealousy is one of the factor for a love relationship to remain long!" 

 

"Kind of stupid to be jealous just to maintain relationship," Krystal complained. 

 

"Okay then, trust me, if you act you are all jealous, or pretend to be although you're not- Amber unnie will totally be romantic to you. Not today or tomorrow, but she definitely will!" 

 

"Amber, being romantic? That's so ridiculous," 

 

Yebin sighed, almost frustrated with Krystal's passive side. 

 

"Okay, what if... we start a bet? Only if you agree to be suddenly jealous and wait for what Amber unnie will do next," 

 

Krystal studied Yebin's flawless face. "What's the bet?" 

 

"Let's bet for 20 dollars. If Amber unnie says something romantic to you or... do something romantic to you, I should take the bet. But, if she stays senseless and dull, I'll give you 50 dollars. So how is it?" Yebin challenged, raising an eyebrow again. 

 

"But how will you know either she's being romantic or not?" Krystal questioned curiously. 

 

"That's depend on your acting, unnie. The condition is, you must act in front of the other members of Life Literature Club, during our campfire this weekend. I guarantee it must be so entertaining to watch though," Yebin explained, giggling. 

 

After taking quite a moment to decide, Krystal finally streched out her right hand to Yebin. 

"Challenge and bet accepted. Prepare your 50 dollars because you're not going to win, small bean," 

 

Yebin smirked as she took Krystal's hand with hers, shaking it vigorously as she muttered, 

 

 

"Don't underestimate at me, Krystal unnie. You should prepare your 20 dollars incase, that Amber unnie will going to surprise you with hugs and kisses," 

 

 

Krystal fake to puke as they laughed together again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________

I'm probably going to support Krystal's side. 

 

What about you? (^_^)