บทที่ 4

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Because I by Lasse Lindh) 

 

After getting herself, a set of lunchbox from Subway, she drove back to the quiet place in campus and sat quietly on the grass, enjoying the food. 

 

As she munches, a slight flashback re-appeared. An old memory with her father when she was little. 

 

Krystal stopped chewing and released a small sigh. 

 

 

"How is it taste?" the little asked the manly figure, curious. 

He just smiled and gently pinched his daughter's smooth cheek. "Since you're here with me, the sandwich taste a lot better. Eating alone probably will make the food taste so bad, princess," 

 

"Father, I think I spilled a lot of salt and pepper," Krystal took a bite of her handmade sandwich as she glanced at the handsome man. "You're lying to me just to make me feel good right?" 

 

Laughing, he said back, "No princess, trust me, I'm being all honest here with you!" 

 

Staring sharply, Krystal sniffed and turned away, avoided the latter's playful look. 

 

"My little princess get sulky again, what to do?" 

 

Krystal pouted, still looking away. 

 

"Soojung," he called, smiling and motioned closer to his youngest child. The picnic moment is fully covered by the cloudy weather and plus, only two of them there. No one else being around. 

 

"Your mom told me that lately you've trying to be all independent. Is that true my baby now growing up? Can believe it you know, your hands were so small and tiny back then," he reached for Krystal's palms and put them on his own. "Here, look," 

"Now, they are almost as big as I am," 

 

She can't help but to stare at their palms, eyeing and comparing the sizes which not separated with huge difference. Mentally she thought, her father's words were true. 

 

"We always hear that number one is the best, the lead of anything and the only number that will give us a definite satisfaction. But only few people realize, number one can also symbolize the loneliness and the emptiness that certain people feel," 

"I'm proud knowing you're currently number one in everything. In class, in race and so on. I tell you, being only one exist is not always good. You need to believe two, or more numbers will make you feel lot better, princess," 

 

"Father, I know you're master in language and literature but I dont really understand what you said," she expressed, pretending to be firm and serious. 

 

The man let out a small chuckle then. 

 

"Alright, to put it in simple word, let's just say, you need company in life so when you eat, you sleep or do anything, it will make you more happier than being alone. Back to your sandwich story, what I meant was, it is so delicious because I'm eating with my beautiful daughter who is also love of my life," 

 

Krystal tried not to smile so she put a straight face on. 

"My father just a good talker but not a good liar," 

 

"And my daughter is just a good 'sulker' but not a good loner," 

 

 

At the end, both of them laughed at each other's faces. 

 

 

 

Krystal stared at the barbeque sandwich she bought and didnt know why her eyes got all teary as she remembered her picnic with her father. 

Automatically, she loss of appetite and wrapped back the meal and put it aside. 

 

Her sharp eyes shifted to see the skyview, trying to endure the feelings and emotions that interrupted her empty mind. 

She has no clue why on that moment, she felt, she is the only girl living in the world. 

 

Krystal slowly believe, her father was right about her. 

 

She is not a good loner. 

 

She really need someone as company. 

 

 

 

 

The sunlight which beamed on her flawless face suddenly turned vague and Krystal frowned as she tried to recognize who is the person blocking the light. 

 

 

"Your sandwich," the person said and kneeled down on Krystal's sitting level. 

"The dog took it while you're daydreaming," 

 

 

"What??" she shot a confuse look. 

 

The person flinched as she replied after a sigh,

"Ms. Krystal, the dog, had taken your unfinished sandwich and it ran that way, while you're spending time lovingly here," 

 

Only then she came to her senses again, finally realized who is the person. 

 

 

"By the way, uhm this place is closed until next week. I dont have any idea why you can get through without permission," 

 

 

Krystal looked at Amber, "Permission? What for? This is a public space, why in the hell I need to get a permission???" 

 

 

"Aaah, curse again," Amber commented and released another sigh as she rise from the kneeling state. 

"You're too senseless or too, slow, I dont know, to read that super duper huge banner there? Or you can't read Korean because you're from San Fransisco?" 

 

Krystal's expression changed. "Are you mocking me?" 

 

"Yeah, a bit," Amber casually said, didnt bother to look at the younger girl. She focused on her cellphone and started to type a text, completely made Krystal left in ignore. 

 

 

"Yah!" she raised her voice and glared at the tomboy. "You came out from nowhere, talking like you're so good and dare to look down on me," 

"Who's lack of manner here?" 

 

Amber glanced at her for milisecond before replying, 

"Sometimes, acting not in manner towards people will probably make them realize something good they're up to," 

"Or easy to understand, yes I had intention to be sarcastic since you're once been sarcastic with me, the washroom thing, remember?" 

 

Krystal recalled the moment but didnt able to mutter a thing. 

 

"Alright from your face I knew you remembered," Amber said. "Now we're equal, Ms. Krystal," 

 

Krystal replied as she stood from the grass, exchanged a glance with the taller figure,

"No, world didnt rule like that, Ms. Amber," 

"Nothing equal and fair. If that exist, world will be in peace," 

 

Amber lifted her eyebrow, slightly nod at the statement. 

"Wow, that's quite adequate to describe us," 

 

"Not us, you fool. I mentioned about the whole world,"she mumbled, and began to step away. 

 

Amber followed from behind and was startled when Krystal spinned around her body all of sudden. She can't avoid the quick response, and ended collided with the long-hair girl. 

 

The boyish was fast to reach for Krystal's arms holding them tight from tumbling backward. 

 

 

And their eyes met for a second. 

 

 

"This is weird," Krystal directly spoke, pushing away Amber's broad shoulder which too close with hers. 

"You're not even a guy that I can fall in love at first sight," 

 

Disbelief, Amber stepped back two steps from Krystal as she murmured, 

 

"Unbelievable," 

 

"I saved you from falling down and now listening to that, I think its too outrageous than being judgemental," 

 

"Why you turned around anyway?"

 

 

"I'm not being judgemental. I'm telling the truth," Krystal gave a deliberate reply.
"I turned around because I want to check either you're stalking me or not," 

 

"You're not a guy, so of course. there's no love will come between us, is it right?" 

"I dont believe those love at first sight, love from eye down to heart or so on and on," 

 

The boyish blew an amount of air, putting both her hands on waist. 

"Okay, stop thinking nonsense about me. I dont even bother to know what is your philosophy of life," Amber snorted on purpose. She stared at Krystal's pretty face and added, "Wanna know who is weird between us?" 

"Its you, not me," 

 

"I'm sorry???" 

 

"Yeah, I'm telling the truth. You're very weird because you think of something that is impossible to happen," 

 

"What you--" 

 

Amber cut in, "Nah, that's it, Ms. Krystal. I said it clear, nothing will happen between you and I, or me and you," 

 

 

They involved in glance competition for while before the boyish said more. 

 

"Indeed, a moment like this, will be easily forgotten, isnt't it?" 

 

 

"Depend on you, either to keep it or not," Krystal replied and crossed her arms. 

 

 

"Obviously, keeping it not a good idea," Amber told. 

 

 

"So, what's now? I dont like this argument to last longer than I expected," 

 

 

"How long you expected?"

 

 

"Well, not longer than this," 

 

 

Amber flinched then. "I can see you're getting weirder," 

 

 

"Its not your problem anyway, no matter please," Krystal rolled her eyes annoyingly. 

 

 

"Look, I know you dislike me, Ms. Krystal. Or maybe everyone here," Amber changed her tone, became calm and flat. "The fact that I didnt know you personally, I dont want to deliberately assume you as Adolf Hitler female version or Queen Elizabeth Korean version. I believed, there's still a lot of of things you need to see," 

 

 

"Wah, what's with this sudden soothing words huh?" 

 

 

"Up to you, either to keep it or not, Ms. Krystal," the short-hair shrugged her shoulder. "I sincerely said this as someone you know, who you dont really fond her existence. I'm fine, I'm totally fine," 

 

 

"I didnt even say I hate you," 

 

 

"And I didnt even say you hate me though," 

 

 

She eyed every inch of the pretty face, can't find the reason why she can't deny her beauty. 

The look of Krystal is such a bliss view but when it comes to interaction or having conversation, Amber also can't deny, she dont really comfortable to speak with her. 

 

There will always something she brings up that made Amber feels, not really good or suitable to hear. 

 

 

 

"Now you're looking at me like there's a dirt on my nose," Krystal's voice disturbed Amber's deep thought. 

 

"No, I was just checking out the famous beauty that our campus keep talking about. It seems not disappointed though," she said casually and shifted back her eyes on the phone screen. 

"You're beautiful," 

"Externally," 

 

Krystal's mouth widen in awe then. It was her turn to shot a disbelief look after Amber's random sayings. 

"That's insulting, not a compliment," 

 

Amber glanced slightly at the brunette,

"O-oh, I'm not complimenting you," she added, 

"I've just giving opinion," and she flashed a sarcastic smile. 

 

 

"What the..." 

 

 

She stopped Krystal from talking further by showing her ringing phone. 

"Sorry but I need to take this call," 

 

"See ya," 

And Amber walked away just like that, mouth busy speaking with the caller. 

 


 

I'll get my revenge later, you punk!

 

Krystal glared in anger while looking at her housemate from the back. 

 

 

 

***

 

"Presentation next week, submission also next week..." Yebin mumbled in tiring voice, leaning her head over the desk. "Unnie, the whole class were complaining how unconsidered Madam Hwang to us, but you're still have that wide smile on your face," 

She lifted up and furthered, 

"Are you that happy to be here?" 

 

Amber hummed, nodded her head vigorously. "Of course, I'm so happy to be here," 

 

Yebin asked then, "Isn't it too much we got three assignments to complete these two weeks on rows and plus, the extra studies for test?" 

 

"Yeah, its too much," Amber replied, eyes still glued on the revision book. "But its an excitement to me as well," 

 

Her small face frowned, staring straight to the older girl. 

"Huh? Excitement? Are you in your right mind???" 

 

Keeping her chuckle in low sound because they're in library,  Amber whispered, "Yebin-ah, just think the work we need to do is a challenge. Once you've done well, it will satisfy you, and that's what I call a real excitement," 

 

"But I'm not good in research. Those old literature books, they are so hard to understand," Yebin whispered back. 

 

"That's why you have me here, those books are my friends. I will gladly tell you what they're mean up to," 

 

"Really? You want to help me???" 

 

"Yeah," 

 

Yebin grinned happily afterward and they linked their pinkies, signalling the sort of their agreement. 

After two hours reviewing books, Amber and Yebin decided that they should call it a day and will continue again for tomorrow. 

 

"Its just half done, we need to review more," told the taller figure as she opened the locker and grabbed her bag. "I'm super hungry, want to get something first?" 

 

Yebin tighten her pony-tail, nodding, "Yeah, for sure," 

 

They walked out the exit door and take a left wing straight, passing a few people before the tiny Yebin spotted something. 

 

"Unnie, look," she pointed at the group of boy and stopped her walk. "Is that Krystal unnie???" 

 

Amber didnt say anything and abled to stare at the fuss from their standing spot, recognized well the only girl who've been laughed uncontrollably by the naughty boys. 

 

 

Still looking at the scene, Yebin then expressed her worry. 

"Minkyung unnie said the boys are too powerful here, I bet no one dare to interfere," 

 

"For serious??" Amber asked and got a nod from Yebin as reply. 

 

The duo only stared from afar. None of them able to say anything afterward, just to see how their housemate being ashamed at. 

 

Especially Amber, she stood there looking Krystal been humiliated. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

She considered what just happened to her was a huge embarassment. Getting poured by the cold of water ice wasn't nice, especially the action was well-prepared for her on purpose. 

Krystal was left dumbfounded when her body 'received' a surprise from Yugyeom and his friends and she knew it was his revenge for what she said elegantly few days back. 

The trending of ice bucket challenge isnt valid anymore. Indeed, it was a total prank 

She really holding a grudge on that trouble maker. 

 

Walking weakly through the empty hall, she sat herself on the nearest seat. Thinking silently, she didnt deserve that kind of treat. Although she admitted she's been arrogant but that is not the suitable way to revenge people. 

 

Krystal still immersed with the deep thoughts until she felt a sudden touch on both shoulders. A dry towel has been wrapped up around her upper body, fully covered the visible bra she's wearing. 


Then a voice greeted her, 

"Unnie, are you okay now?" 

 

Krystal glanced upward, only to see four girls, three of them are familiar to her, and the tallest seems not recognizable. 

 

"I..m.. fine," she mutttered, hugging herself from the cold. 

 

Kyulkyung and Dahyun exchanged stares. Mentally inside they knew she is not okay based on her current state. The Chinese girl said, "Unnie, its fine, you can cry now, we dont mind," 

That made Dahyun slightly elbowed her, signalling to be quiet. 

 

"No, I'm fine. I'm used to it. Today is their day and today is my bad day. I'm gladly accept that," Krystal gave the girl a firm smile.

 

And then its Yebin's turn to say. 

"Let's go home, unnie. I will cook you chicken porridge," 

 

"And I'll prepare green tea that I brought from my hometown," Kyulkyung butted in. 

 

"I'll settle with dessert," Dahyun grinned her teeth. 

 

Minkyung glared at those three, lifting her eyebrows with 'Are you guys for serious' look.

But then she bowed politely at Krystal,

"Ermmm... I dont know what to cook since I'm from different apartment," she apologized.  

 

 

Krystal just sighed a smile. Inside her mind, she can't deny the girls were all cute and adorable. Their effort to make her feels better are so heart-fluttering. Despite from smiling more sincerely, she put a blank face instead. 

She didnt want any of them know, that she's ashamed of herself for that incident. 

For Krystal, 

Keeping all the emotion on her own is the best. 

 

No one should know it does hurt like hell. 

 

No one but her, herself.